How do you MTG?

How do you MTG?

• Straight MTG (no products mixed with the MTG)

Votes: 142 45.4%
  • MTG Mixed (one or more products mixed with MTG)

Votes: 122 39.0%
  • I apply MTG 1x/wk

Votes: 37 11.8%
  • I apply MTG more than 1x/wk

Votes: 169 54.0%

• Total voters
I mix it with quite a few things, it doesn't smell bad to me but I have other things I want on my scalp.. I apply it nightly.

Last edited:
amina kamal said:
My bottle just arrived yesterday afternoon and I tried it last night. The smell is alot like sulfur 8 with a tad of bacon. I don't mind that much but I think I over did it because I couldn't really sleep and kept waking up from that smell. I will try to apply less of it next time and use a shower cap and some head scarves. I definitely think its worth a try especially for my edges and damaged areas.
i thought i was the only one that can't sleep becuae of the smell...i don't think i can use it anymore because of that - i don't know anymore...

Gurrrrl, I don't care HOW bad it smells!!....The combination I used made my edges grown in thicker and stronger in just under a month!!!....It's a keeper for me.:D I just mix about 2 oz. castor oil, 1/2 to 1 oz. Orig. MTG, 1 oz. Wild Growth (which smells too) 10-15 drops of peppermint oil, 5-10 drops of lemongrass oil in and old Wild Growth applicator bottle (the hole is very small) apply lightly to my parts and message in to my scalp and temple area every other night. The results have been great!!...I will post pictures soon.

I apply MTG using an applicator bottle I purchased from Sally's Beauty Supply. I use it twice a day (morning/night). I have been using it for about three weeks now. The second week of use I had braids. My braids usually last about 4 weeks, but I had to take them out after a 1 1/2 due to the new growth.

Oh, the smell. The smell is not bad, I'm use to the smell of sulfur from using Sulfur8 when I was a kid for my dandruff. I actually like the smell.

I don't MTG perse, but I make a homemade version. I use the same sulphur that MTG uses from Baldwins www.baldwins.co.uk (search for sulphur) and this batch I mixed the sulphur in with Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil. NO SMELL at all except the pretty fragrance of the oil. I love it! See siggy pics for progress. Will be updating Fotki soon. I took about 1-2 weeks off from my MTG mix due to testing out the Lenzi's request/Capzasin mix. I wasn't too impressed with it as my growth slowed dramatically, so I'm back to my staple Homemade MTG mix again!:)

ETA: I apply daily, or every other day depending on my mood :)

Last edited:
I use MTG straight and I apply it 3x's a week but I think i'm about to start applying it more...like 5x's a week.

Denim And Leather said:
How many inches a month in ng have you guys gained from using MTG? I just ordered mine. I'm getting a touch-up next month and am trying to get as much ng as possible before then. :D

I had a sew in done about three weeks ago and the cornrows are lifting approximately an inch away from my scalp.

from36to38 said:
i thought i was the only one that can't sleep becuae of the smell...i don't think i can use it anymore because of that - i don't know anymore...
okay...i found a solution!
i mix it with 1/2 jar of hollywood beauty castor oil, 3 tubes of 4% mn and about 1/4 cup on mtg...absolutely NO SMELL!!!!

i baaaaaaaaaaaack!

I mix mines (half and half) with doogro mega thick growth hair oil. Perfect combination!

I am still skeptical about using it alone...

kbragg said:
I don't MTG perse, but I make a homemade version. I use the same sulphur that MTG uses from Baldwins www.baldwins.co.uk (search for sulphur) and this batch I mixed the sulphur in with Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil. NO SMELL at all except the pretty fragrance of the oil. I love it! See siggy pics for progress. Will be updating Fotki soon. I took about 1-2 weeks off from my MTG mix due to testing out the Lenzi's request/Capzasin mix. I wasn't too impressed with it as my growth slowed dramatically, so I'm back to my staple Homemade MTG mix again!:)

ETA: I apply daily, or every other day depending on my mood :)

I want to purchase the sulphur powder from Baldwins but I am not sure how much of it I should use in my mixture. How much should I use? Is it as effective as Shapley's? :look:

I use it straight every other day. My other half say it makes him hungry when he's sleep. Other than that. I use so many different suggested items, I dont know exactly which is making my hair grow. As long as it doesnt fall off any more, I will just smile...:)

from36to38 said:
okay...i found a solution!
i mix it with 1/2 jar of hollywood beauty castor oil, 3 tubes of 4% mn and about 1/4 cup on mtg...absolutely NO SMELL!!!!

i baaaaaaaaaaaack!

So hollywood beauty castor oil helps to mask the smell?

I just order a bottle yesterday. I can't wait to use it. if it smells like glovers then i 2 will use it straight as some of u hv said back in the day my mom used glovers and sulfur 8 on my head.:grin:

I mix some of mine in with my Surge to spray around my edges twice a day. I also mix some in with peppermint oil in my WGO bottle. Since it has that squeeze tip on the end, I mix them, shake it up and after I wash my hair use the bottle tip to part my scalp and apply to my entire head. Then I massage it in and bun.

I use it 5x's a week with some drops of rosemary and peppermint oil added. My hair on average grows on average about 3/4 inches and with MTG its I've noticed its at 1" a month. Ive noticed the smell isn't strong if you use it right after washing while its wet, some ladies on this board have suggested this

I've been applying mtg between 1-3x weekly in the parts between my braids. I alternate between my mtg/surge mix and using it straight. Maybe I should cover with a plastic cap cuz its murder on my pillowcases.

tammiematthews said:
U can check out my journal for my MTG experience..so far. But to answer your question... I have mixed my MTG w/2 oils and vanilla extract to cut the smell. Because I have found that I get more dirt/build up with MTG, I have started washing twice a week. I apply the MTG concoction twice a week after washing. I have also applied it my daughter's head (she's in braids) usually once week or once every two weeks..it depends for her.

thank you for metioning that you use it on your daughter's hair because i was going to start using on my daughters' hair.

now to answer the question, i currently do not use mtg, but base on the excellent reviews i have received, i will order some and add it to my regimen. i will most likely just use it straight.

I just started using it last week.
It does smell like bacon :p
Failed usage: 1. I tried using it when my hair was dry
but when I washed it out my hair was
all dry & wiry. I think I sat under the dryer
for 10 minutes w/a plastic cap... I used it straight...
DO NOT DO THIS.
2. I applied it to my hair & not my scalp.
Oh... when I went to sleep with it my scalp felt
a little sore when I woke up... someone said
this was a sign of growth, but whatever
it went away as soon as I washed it out.

NEW REGIMEN: (( OVERNIGHT ))
(( BECAUSE I CAN'T GO TO WORK SMELLING LIKE BACON))
Wash my hair.
Part hair into 4 sections.
Apply MTG directly to scalp.
Apply Lisa's Hair Elixir to mask smell.
Sleep.
Wash out.

((or)) maybe I'll just use very very little MTG on my scalp
and then leave in for a couple of days.

I don't really know, but right now I'm using it about 2-3 times per week.

I let my dry scalp dictate how often I need it. Usually twice per week is enough to keep the dandruff away.

The smell doesn't bother me that much. I put it in an applicator tip bottle and use it sparingly as a scalp moisturizer so I would say that using a little at a time keeps the barbque smell down.

Hey! I can finally answer this!!

I use MTG every night, only on my hairline, and I apply it with a Q-Tip. That way, I KNOW I'm using the least amount possible, and my fingers don't smell like MTG. The spray I use to baggy with has a nice musky smell, and it covers up the smell of the tiny bit of MTG in no time.

I use MTG mixed with some peppermint oil. I apply 3 times a weeks before i wrap my hair up. As soon as i get home before i get in the shower, I will wrap my hair. So everyother day I will use MTG through an applicator bottle.

For those of you who are still MTG'ing I wanted to post a new concoction that I stumbled upon for my braids. You can use this for braids or your natural, relaxed hair. Also The smell should NOT be pungant. It should be more than a little tolerable, in fact, I hardly smell the MTG at all due to the dilluted amount I use plus the peppermint oil

What you will need:
Peppermint oil
MTG
Avocado Oil
Braid Spray (I like African Pride)
Infusium 23 leave-in (origional formula or moisture formula)
Coconut Oil or Manoi Oil
Terrycloth Towel for your head
Towel to wrap around your neck and shoulders
Spray Bottle --about 12oz
Pot of Hot Hot water
Something heavy to hold the bottle down in the water

On freshly towel dried or damp hair:

What I do is I get a medium size spray bottle..(get it at walmart) and pour in about 1/2 cup of MTG. Then add. 2 oz of peppermint oil 3oz of avocado oil, 3oz of coconut or manoi oil, and pour in equal amounts of braid spray and infusium to fill the rest of the bottle to the top. Give it a good shake shake shake! Place in large pot of HOT water for 10 minutes. Use something large and heavy to hold it down inside the hot water otherwise the bottle will float.TIP:**DO NOT PUT IN MICROWAVE!!!

While the spray is heating up Either wash or rinse your hair so that your pores are open...

Prepare to spray by wrapping a towel around your neck and shoulders b/c it WILL DRIP. BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET THIS ON YOUR NECK!!!

On freshly towel dried or damp hair:

Spray on, all over your hair scalp and edges. bend over forwared to massage in your scalp for 20 sec. Then wrap your hair in the terry towel for 30 min. Remove towel and bun your braids until you are completely air dried.You will feel a tingle from the peppermint oil. GOOOOOD! After you are air dried feel your scalp and notice your ends are not crunchy when you take a braid loose. :) HTH!!

I found this to work after I tried it last night. Those of you who are in braids know how when you take your braids out, your roots can be moisturized but your ends seem to be dry and crispy. This totally eliminates dryness. I am working on a buttery, balmy version of this concoction......:cool:

Last edited:
Right now I have braids and I use MTG straight up and I use it just about everyday and I apply it on my scalp directly; the smell dosen't bother me. I hardly even smell it anymore maybe it's because I co-wash daily.

I just brought the Mtg leave in/detangler....i wanted to know what kinds do everyone(well the ones that uses it) buys?

The MTG that is being dicussed is Mane Tail Groom from www.shapelys.com. It's basically a horse grooming product that aids in hair growth. There is no detangler for it. You're using Mane and Tail by Straight Arrow that is found at beauty supply stores. This one can is found in equistrian type shops.

YoungWavey said:
I just brought the Mtg leave in/detangler....i wanted to know what kinds do everyone(well the ones that uses it) buys?

I apply MTG every night. The first 6 oz bottle I mixed WGO in it, which seemed to make my new growth a lot softer. The 2nd 6 oz bottle had peppermint oil in it and I also added the WGO. This time around I'm on the 3rd 6 oz bottle & it just has the peppermint oil in it. After I finish off this bottle I'm going to start using it straight to see what happens. I've been going through it too fast, so I had to modify my application method. So far so good. Although, I'm still waiting for the dramatic growth. I've only been using it for a little over 3 weeks though, so I'm trying to be patient.:perplexed

Back