How do you ladies...

silenttullip

Stay fly on a budget even though your man isn't all goofy and what not about your looks? Keep in mind when I say budget I mean like maybe you could set aside 100 a month or less to stay fly with. I'm asking because I'm not a teen anymore and my wordrobe consists of jeans that don't fit "will be mailed to my lil sis" polo shirts, and uh well... That's about it besides my church stuff. When I meet SO I had my fashion game on lock, never had a bunch of clothes but he never saw me in an outfit more than once in a month and the clothes I did have were cute and mature. As for make up I have a bare minerals kit "somewhere' but was never taught how to do my makeup and I'm watching youtube vids to learn. For hair... I'm probably about to get a phytorelaxer I'm natural right now and keep it in twists but even though he supports the hair I know he likes straighter hair better. I have long nails but just put on a clear coat. So yea... Help
By the way this is totally for me to feel better about me and to surprise him.

Yep everything besides the hair part LOL I want a change and he doesn't mind either way but I'm getting older and wanna look more lady like instead of teen scene

well, if that's the case - I have a few suggestions:

1)shop at lower priced places: Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart etc. some people turn their noses up at these places, but you can find some cute stuff. I was just reading the new issue of Essence this month & some of the best fitting jeans actually came from Wal-Mart.

2)SALES & OUTLET SHOPPING: learn how to scout sales, Macy's has wonderful sales & you can get some very nice things at low prices if you aren't too intimidated to shop the sales rack or go outlet shopping. I have a wool coat that I've had for years that I picked up via sales shopping for only $50.00 & the regular price was $250.00

3) go vintage shopping: (also known as hitting up the thrift store & places such as that) - you can also find name-brand stuff at these joints . Tyra Banks sometimes boasts of her "vintage shopping" finds.

4) shop online: there are online places dedicated to helping you find the best stuff at the best prices. one of my favs is www.shopstyle.com , but there are others. You can find what you are looking for at the lowest price .

5) do a combination of all of the above with some high quality items thrown in here & there. Splurge every now & then on the "expensive" stuff that often pulls an outfit together: accessories, purses, the black dress, etc...

Lastly, keep YOUR sense of style in everything and wear it all with confidence. Nothing ruins a nice outfit quicker than insecurity.

HTH & maybe some others will chime in with makeup tips- I stick to a little mascara, eyeshadow & lip gloss. I like the natural look with beautiful skin.

Last edited:
Run to NY&Co...they're having a kick a*s sale...pants n cardigans for $7.99, blazers n dresses for $15...this is one store that always has a good sale...I have a good coupon...it expires the 19th so if u want the e-code...PM me...I'm not using it...

Other than that I don't have much to offer...sometimes I find make up n outfit looks I want to duplicate...maybe u can do that too...

I started slacking...so I just made a rule that I have to put in my all every time I leave the house...it just makes me feel much better...I had to kick the "Im just going to ____, so I can just throw on ____ mentality"

If this is for you and you really want to up your wardrobe...:

YAY! I'm a sale lady! I LOOOOVE to save money on a good look.

Vintage shopping can give you a look like no other.

I agree that places like target or H and M have some lines that look fashion forward. I haven't purchased them...but heard about them (some designers are actually making a line for target and they rotate the "designers" in limited lines. I looked on google and some of the designers they will have, and have had in the past include: Jean Paul Galtier, Anne Sui, Alexander Mcqueen, and Chanel is about to release a line).

If you have a Nordstroms Rack you can LIVE there, and get clothes at 50-80 percent off.

Keep checking Macy's they have major sales at the end of the season and you can find some really excellent deals there. Sometimes they'll hit you up with a bonus so you'll get 25 percent off, for instance, items that are already on sale.

Places like hautelook.com have sales everyday. And the range of clothing is extensive with several new lines daily. At the end of each season they have sales on TOP of those sales. Insane savings at times and gorgeous clothing from top designers...

Right now they're having a blowout sale at up to 80 percent off.

ex this dress is on sale right now for $29 and is originally $118
221983.jpg

If you can't get in pm me your email and I'll send you an invite. I'm not sure if you can just sign up or if you need an invite from someone.

If you're in the mood for clothes I'd check there once a day because things are snatched fast (because the prices are so good).

This one is a little more expensive but just to give you an idea in case you had a black tie event this dress is Badgley Mischka $199 VERSUS $1395 on ideeli
BAD-4eir-003-1_grid_imagegrid_image240x340.jpg

Not the right color for me, but I just copied to give you an idea of their sales. This one is at ideeli.com

also gilt.com and ruelala.com

Pretty much it's :
1)gilt.com
2)hautelook
and then the others I look at if I have time because they have cute stuff
3)ruelala.com
4)ideeli.com

Between these sites...if I'm really looking for new clothes to add to my wardrobe I check once a day or every other day, because the sales change quickly (for a few minutes a day).

I like to buy shirts, and dresses online only because they pretty much always fit me right. Pants...are another story...it seems that I need to try those on in the stores because each designer seems to vary by a size one up or one down. If I know the designer, I know if it'll fit and then I may buy online for pants. Otherwise I don't bother.

From the savings I get there, I can go and get my items tailored and smile knowing I got a steal.

You might want to try getting shirts, and dresses online, and perhaps pants and jeans at your local discount store...especially if you find something really cute.

If you're in NYC check out

Century 21 and Daffy's... (you have to really search because they're very disorganized because of the shreiking people running madly laughing with discounted items...I kid about the shreiking but not the disorganization...but they have some steals if you look).

Oh and of course sometimes filene's basement has finds, sometimes not, but it doesn't hurt to look.

Wish I could give you makeup tips but I think the reason my skin looks so great is because I don't use too much...maybe I just THINK that's why (but I just don't see how sucking in a bunch of foundation every day is helpful to your pores...but I know that's like blasphemy to makeup lovers every where). I pretty much make sure my skin glows through cleanser, and put on sun block to make sure to protect it, and then some lip gloss and mascara. So I really can't help in that area.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info ladies, I just realized maybe I should have posted this in the fashion area but for me it goes along with the whole relationship with myself lol :)

WOOOOOW when u said run u meant RUN didn't u people are clearing them out but I'm finding some hot stuff omg ily lol

Run to NY&Co...they're having a kick a*s sale...pants n cardigans for $7.99, blazers n dresses for $15...this is one store that always has a good sale...I have a good coupon...it expires the 19th so if u want the e-code...PM me...I'm not using it...

Other than that I don't have much to offer...sometimes I find make up n outfit looks I want to duplicate...maybe u can do that too...

I started slacking...so I just made a rule that I have to put in my all every time I leave the house...it just makes me feel much better...I had to kick the "Im just going to ____, so I can just throw on ____ mentality"

You can get some really cute things on a budget at places like TJMaxx, Marshalls, Kohls, Target and Filene's Basement. Also visit those sales racks at the more expensive places. I love the sales racks at Banana Republic, JCrew and Lord & Taylor. You're bound to find great bargain shopping for the summer months.

You could join http://www.gilt.com/ (Gilt) which sells designers clothes for less. I love their sales, they have a lot of great items that are just past season. If you'd like an invite just give me your email :) That goes for any of you ladies too

I'm not into designer stuff but I can get cute finds at Marshall's, Target, and Forever 21. I wear mostly cute sun dresses or the long ones when I go on dates.

Always have a nice pedicure- you dont have to go that often either. I get my feet done and I maintain them when I dont have time to get it done at the salon.

I wear my hair natural and I'm not worried about who prefers it straight. It can be straightened when I feel like it. I mostly wear a styled wash n go. It gives me a different look and makes me feel unique.

My route is to always look feminine- pretty dresses, pretty sandals, and makeup and hair always done. Maybe a flower in the hair.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to be fly just find your own sense of style that makes you feel good about yourself.

I am on a budget now so I know where you are coming from. Here is what I do.

Make sure my hair is tight, if you like natural and he likes straight- do in between texlaxed so you can switch up. I like your hair now it looks cute make sure you are truly ready to relax it.

I do my hair myself, it always looks nice, and I get many compliments from people.

I budget say a 35.00 bi weekly to stay on my Mani Pedi game.

I look through my wardrobe to see what I can put together that looks cute. You might be surprised that a cute tee and jeans can do.

If you have limited wardrobe buy a few tops that you can switch up with and that will add diversity to your wardrobe. Perhaps you can wear the most stylish church outfit on a regular day. Or use a top you would wear to church and put it with jeans and throw some heels on with dangly earrings.

Buy accessories to this should help big time. Picking up a shirt here, a belt there a pair of earrings should do the trick.
I also find that nice underwear make me feel really good, that and keeping armpits and legs hairless lol.

I hope I helped…let us know how it goes.:yep:

I love their jeans...I might have to go myself lol.

Go in the nail forum and learn how to do hands and feet yourself. Spend that extra money on clothes. Read People (the style one) and modify your look from that. I second Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Ross.

I load up on cute accessories. They can make a plain outfit look banging.

I was never one to wear makeup so I get my pointers from You Tube also.

I co-sign what everyone else has said, but I have to throw in my two cents on one other thing.

I'm natural, and I don't give two craps about what men prefer in terms of my hair. They meet me natural, they better get used to liking my hair natural. If he prefers straight hair, he can find a woman who wears it that way, because I ain't the one.

That is the one area in which there will be absolutely no compromise in terms of doing something that my man might "prefer."

Update, I hit up Ny&co found a couple nice things thanks to you ladies. I also found a nice place for shoes called MyDivasCloset.com I picked up some boots, flats, and 2 pairs of shoes for the fall in all I spent about 100 so that's not bad I guess

Wet and Wild liquid eye liner (a few posters use this)
One basic neutral eye shadow palette.
I think drug store brands can work just fine to add a little color to the face.
Scented Lotion over perfume. (Let the boyfriend buy you the perfume for a gift :)
You should post also in the make up forum to see what inexpensive options are available.

A few neutral color skirts then switch up the tops like others said.

Spend a little extra some months for quality pieces that wont go out of style and will stand the test- things you can wear for years. I bought a classic cut dress from Bloomingdales for 40 bucks marked down from $ 275 so don't forget to look during the end of season sales.

I would post in the make-up section for more specific brand reqs.

I agree with Bunny about the relaxer and straight hair for boyfriend.

I co-sign what everyone else has said, but I have to throw in my two cents on one other thing.

I'm natural, and I don't give two craps about what men prefer in terms of my hair. They meet me natural, they better get used to liking my hair natural. If he prefers straight hair, he can find a woman who wears it that way, because I ain't the one.

That is the one area in which there will be absolutely no compromise in terms of doing something that my man might "prefer."

Fully agreed, Bunny.

OP, just piggypacking on what Bunny says, if you do decide to still straighten you don't have to rely on relaxers. There is banding and if you don't mind using heat, blowdrying and/or flatironing with a good heat protectant. There are other chemical-free alternatives to relaxing. :)

Fully agreed, Bunny.

OP, just piggypacking on what Bunny says, if you do decide to still straighten you don't have to rely on relaxers. There is banding and if you don't mind using heat, blowdrying and/or flatironing with a good heat protectant. There are other chemical-free alternatives to relaxing. :)

Yeah, I don't want to turn this into a relaxed vs. natural debate... honestly, however you want to wear your hair is fine with me. Shoot, I want to get a Dominican blowout for the first time pretty soon to see what it looks like, and I'm sure FH will be pretty intrigued by seeing my hair straight (and long!)

So you can change things up, but I strongly caution against a permanent procedure like a relaxer just because your SO supposedly prefers straight hair.

It's fine to want to step up your game a little bit to not look like a schlub, but there is a danger in crossing the line between wanting to do a little more versus changing yourself solely to please a man.

Well I flat ironed and comb chased which made it turn out great. He doesn't want me to use the chemicals because my scalp is sensitive but I just want a permanent change but I'll work with it and see how long it lasts flat ironed.
I also picked up 3 pairs of shoes a little under 60 and saved 114. That's it for this month.

Back