How Do You Ladies Do This???

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've read several posts about stretching out relaxers, protective styling, and etc. And most of you say you do not use a comb or brush when putting your hair in a protective style.
look.gif

How do u ladies do this without your hair looking a mess??? Do u guys go out or go to work with the protective style without combing and/or brushing??? What do u do to keep your hair looking nice???
confused.gif

good question, i use a wide tooth comb first, then a small tooth comb to make it look neat. then apply serum and grease to make it shiny and pretty, then tie a scarf on tight around my head to keep the new growth laying flat.

I use a wide tooth comb, a baby soft brush and of course I finger comb with the aid of my products. I dont find that I have much of a problem with laying my hair down. I like the natural look of my nape and hairline so much that I never relax it (the hair in those areas seem to be finer) and the rest of my hair, lays down neatly with a secure bun and the right leave ins and oils.

Back when I had a shower
ohwell.gif
I would use the flow of the water to keep my hair smooth while rinsing the conditioner out. At times, I wouldn't even have to use a comb. But when I did use it, it was only used while i was rinsing my conditioner out.

Now that I'm doing this bucket thing (please don't laugh at me; it's actually working), I comb my hair back and do the bun thing with a satin scrunci, add all my products to my hair, then tie it with a scarf. By the time I am finished getting dressed, my hair is sleek and nice,... sometimes
laugh.gif

I stopped pulling my hair into an updo on a regular, continuous basis about two years ago. However, I used to sport a "phony pony" on a daily basis for years (yep, I meant what I said--years straight with no break). I would relax every three or four months, wet my hair weekly, brush it upwards, gel it while wet, put on the pony, and tie the edges very tightly with a scarf. On a daily basis, I would reapply gel and the scarf WITHOUT BRUSHING and without removing the pony. I had a flawless look. Alas, however, there was breakage where I rubberbanded my own hair and too much tension on my edges. Of course, this went on from 1987-2001. Good grief, when I write it down, it sounds absolutely ridiculous.

I don't do anything really complicated. I just condition wash almost every day and let the running water and my fingers do the necessary detangling. Immediately out the shower, I'll pat most of my hair dry and swoop it up into a loose ponytail. While I'm getting dressed I tie it down with a silk scarf, and in about 15-20 mins, it looks decent....or at least I think it does.
antlers.gif

It's pretty easy to use my hands to smooth and my fingers if necessary. Somehow I quickly adapted to styling my hair without combing or brushing when I first came to this board and started airdrying. Getting compliments on my hair over the months tells me it doesn't look a mess. And as Bree said, I too tie a scarf on tight around my head to keep the new growth laying flat, depending on the style I'm wearing. It works even if it's on for 30 minutes or so.

I use use a comb in the shower and a brush when I get out and then do the scarf trick. I NEVER comb my hair when its airdried. I dont comb until the next time I wash. Like Anky I sometimes can even do my bun with just the stream of water. I think the key is just getting out of the "hair did" mentality.

A little coconut oil wide tooth comb and a scarf work wonders with wet hair. I do this. Just today my friends son was adamant that I'd used hair gel to smooth and shine. I had just washed it last night. I kept telling him "nope, no gel" His friend, who is white was like "I wish I could do that with my hair, then I wouldnt get these flyaways!" the whole front of her hairline was a mass of flyaways while the rest was in a clip. Check out my pics and you can see how well a scarf and coconut oil work.

I use a pick for natural hair. My pick has very long, spaced out teeth. I use it to detangle and I use a paddle brush.

[ QUOTE ]
HoneyLemonDrop said:
I use a wide tooth comb, a baby soft brush and of course I finger comb with the aid of my products. I dont find that I have much of a problem with laying my hair down. I like the natural look of my nape and hairline so much that I never relax it (the hair in those areas seem to be finer) and the rest of my hair, lays down neatly with a secure bun and the right leave ins and oils.

[/ QUOTE ]

do u comb on wet or dry hair? I have a boar bristle brush...would that be okay to use instead of a baby soft brush?

I USE MY SHOWER COMB FIRST, THEN A MED.FINE TOOTH COMB LAST TO SMOOTH MY HAIR! NEVER EVER ANY BRUSHES! AND I NEVER TUG MY HAIR WHEN IT'S WET! IT'S BEST TO AT LEAST TOWEL DRY THE HAIR FIRST. (AT LEAST FOR ME IT IS)

Back