Bun-Wearers! How often do you "re-bun"

*ElleB

I sleep like a wild woman and my scarf usually comes off during the night. And I end up mussing the style...

So, I know the point of a protective style is to keep minimum manipulation. But I would have to re-do more often, hence more combing and brushing and product.

How often do u redo ur bun?

*ElleB said:
Thanks for replying...
DO u moisturize at this time?

Depends, if my ends feel dry then I do, but otherwise I don't. I do find that I've been using alot of moisturizer lately (Mango Butter) to smooth down my edges.

I re-bun every morning when I'm on a bun kick. I usually mist my hair with a little water and then smooth a tiny amount of oil through it before putting it back up.

When I wear my hair in a bun, I do the following to keep the scarf from coming off
1.Tie hair down w/satin scarf
2.put a doo rag or wig/stocking cap over my head
3.put a satin bonnet over that
Then I will sometimes get those metal clips to anchor all of the above to my hair. I also even sometimes tie my hair with ANOTHER satin scarf over the bonnet. It seems to work, and my hair is nice and flat when I wake after all of that swaddling! :lol:

anatomicallycorrect said:
When I wear my hair in a bun, I do the following to keep the scarf from coming off
Then I will sometimes get those metal clips to anchor all of the above to my hair. I also even sometimes tie my hair with ANOTHER satin scarf over the bonnet. It seems to work, and my hair is nice and flat when I wake after all of that swaddling! :lol:
Girl, you put ypu hair on LOCKDOWN!!! :lol:

ElleB said:
How often do u redo ur bun?
You must have read my mind!!! I was about to do a search for this. I am tired of twists and want to do some buns. Thanks for asking!!!

naturallady said:
Girl, you put ypu hair on LOCKDOWN!!! :lol:

don't she!!! :lachen:

I redo mine everyday. Take it down moisturize, oil, and roll it back on up. I don't comb it or brush it--- just fingercomb and smooth. Sometimes I'll add water and use that to help maneuver some crazy pieces back in order.:lol:

I do it twice per day:

in the A.M. I oil my hair and ends, then fingercomb my hair back. I twist the length of my hair around itself and hold it with pins (I no longer use ponytail holders to do this).

in the PM, I like the bun to be looser and in a different position then how I wore it all day. I use a satin scrunchie to very loosely make a ponytail with the ends tucked under and I wrap a satin scarf around it. It stays on all night.

Once every week or two weeks, i don't take it down often to moisturise as i wear the baggie on my hair length and spray my homemade mix on my hair and tie down with a scarf to dry.

anatomicallycorrect said:

Whoa, :lol: That hair is definitely staying put!

I don't know why I didn't think of that. My aunt and mom did that to my hair as a kid....

I bun everyday and put moisturizer on it each day. But I'm so ready for my 6 month challenge to be over. I'm gone stick with it cause I'm seeing fabulous results.

I'm trying to just re-bun my hair once a week to avoid too much manipulation. I seem to have the most success with this when wearing a high bun.

I wish I was inclined to wear the same style everyday. When I do i can go 2-3 days with a bun only moving it to moisturise and redo. But after day 3, I need a new style! My pixie ears start to stress me out and my forehead tells me to cover it up! lol

I redo my navy bun everyday so that I can m&s. But now that Iam back to cowashing 2x a week, I'm only going 2 take it down on those days

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Once a week unless I use an elastic, then I take it down at the end of the day. Normally I moisturize heavily and pin it so I can leave it up for a week.

I take my bun down every 2-4 days to moisturize, seal, and re-style. Or I will alternate between a bun and just twisting my hair up and adding a clip. I only comb after CWs and washes. Only comb damp with water or with a shower comb to distribute conditioner.

Last edited:
I'm too prone to tension headaches, so I take my hair down at the end of the day/night. I try to redo the bun, daily.

Back