How do you keep your braidouts volumized?

livesoundtech

I put my hair in a few french braids at night, and then remove them a day or so later for a nice braidout. The curls always look great at first, but they start to lose "life" and volume throughout the day. Should I apply a curl booster before putting the braids in? I've tried using a curl booster after removing the braids, but that just made the curls look limp. Any advice?

Try some hairspray while your hair is in the braids. Maybe use some hairspray with a little hold in it. Good Luck

Try braiding on freshly washed and moisturized hair, if you're not already.

Do you seal? My braid outs last longer if I apply a light coat of coconut oil when my hair is nearly dry, and then I start braiding.

I don't do braidouts but I do twistouts.

Here is how it looks:
Pics removed.
I never new how to keep it "volumized" until I discovered that its important to not tie it down tight each night. Before, I would use a silk scarf to tie my hair down, but now I use a hair bonnet and just throw it on at night.

Also, before i put on the hair bonnet, I put some type of moisturizer on and sometimes coconut oil. Then I spray, spray, spray holding spray on my hair while it is upside down. Throw on the hair bonnt and the next day, just fluff hair and voila! Curls good as new. HTH.

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem. When I went back home to MS I didn't have this problem. My braidouts always stayed volumized, but now that I'm back in NY I can't get my braidouts to last for nothing. But it may because in MS i was able to use coconut oil, but it's too cold for coconut oil here.

You and your braid outs are simply beautiful....flawless skin!:yep:

Here is how it looks:
lisafb.jpg

lisafb2.jpg

I never new how to keep it "volumized" until I discovered that its important to not tie it down tight each night. Before, I would use a silk scarf to tie my hair down, but now I use a hair bonnet and just throw it on at night.

Also, before i put on the hair bonnet, I put some type of moisturizer on and sometimes coconut oil. Then I spray, spray, spray holding spray on my hair while it is upside down. Throw on the hair bonnt and the next day, just fluff hair and voila! Curls good as new. HTH.

ljbee- you made me drool all over my keyboard (thanks alot).

My braidouts are more defined and stay longer when I braid out damp hair. I also use coconut oil with every braid out just to help bring out the shine. If you don't like the thought of using hairspray (I know I don't), I would say that mousse is the next best thing. Alot of mousses nowadays have hydrating ingrediants in them that give you the hold without drying out or causing damage to the hair.

I'm having the same problem. When I went back home to MS I didn't have this problem. My braidouts always stayed volumized, but now that I'm back in NY I can't get my braidouts to last for nothing. But it may because in MS i was able to use coconut oil, but it's too cold for coconut oil here.

This may be a stupid question, but what does that mean?

This may be a stupid question, but what does that mean?

If it's below normal room temperature (esp with the cold we've been getting) then the coconut oil will turn solid in your hair on wet hair.

I usually apply the coconut oil on my hair damp after I've applied my moisturizer...eliminates that problem for me.

Liek everyone, twisting out on damp hair after moisturized works best for me. Seals with some JBCO or coconut oil and I'm good. Twist outs work better for me than braids tho.

Here is how it looks:
lisafb.jpg

lisafb2.jpg

Simply gorgeous.:love:

Thanks guys. But for the record, mines are twistouts. And from my experience, twistouts last MUCH, MUCH longer than braidouts becuse they are a bit more "curly" then "wavy."

As far as mousse, I tried to use mousse while I was doing my twistouts once and it was too drying for me to even twist my hair. Literally, it was breaking my hair off as I twisted it, so I just stick with my setting lotion.

Thanks for all the advice! :) I've been MIA for awhile, thanks to the crazy spring semester at school... but still working on the braidouts!

Back