how do you get over the hair growth "hump"

elaine

how do you get over the hair growth \"hump\"

I am taking the vitamins, doing the protective styles, scalp massages, regular trims, and it never seems to fail; Right when I get to a certain length (the collar bone) my hair will not grow anymore. Yes, it takes me longer because I take medication, but what did you ladies with hair past the shoulder do to get over the hump? Any suggestions?

look.gif

Re: how do you get over the hair growth \"hump\"

I really don't think I've hit a natural hump yet, but I have hit Skegeesmb-made humps. I was good for always keeping my hair cut at shoulderlength. So I would fight myself to get over the shoulderlength hump. This is a good question, guys what do you do?

Hi ladies (newbie) what helped me was putting my hair up a majority of the time and deep conditioning every week, rollerset, then wrap. This past year my hair grew from shoulder length to 3 inches from bra strap. Also vitamins! vitamins! consistantly. patience, patience,patience Goodluck
smile.gif

I remember when I was getting over my collarbone hump, (I am trying to get over my ear length hump now). It took me about six months. I spent so much time trying to get over the hump that I didn't notice when I had. Take lots of pictures. Keep up your regimen. Don't let it discourage you. At this point, just let time do its thing.

Serei are you a model? You look like you model.

Serei are you a model? You look like you model or pose for a magazine

I stopped letting my stylist do trims for a while. That got me over the hump!

[ QUOTE ]
melodee said:
I stopped letting my stylist do trims for a while. That got me over the hump!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto, also following my vitamin and haircare regime.
hth

Thanks for the responses. I guess I wait a while before I cut it

Stop looking at it! Just try to follow your regimen and leave your hair alone. Don't measure and look at growth all of the time. Then when you finally do, you'll see the difference.

I agree with hairlove. Waiting for our hair to grow is like watching paint dry! I just keep up the vitamins and hope for the best. I only try to measure length after a touch up which is every 10-12 weeks.

How are you styling your hair? Could it be that your hair brushing against your coat? Are you wearing head bands that are cutting out your hair?

Things like this could also be a factor.

I also agree with Hairlove! Don't think about it. And slow down the trims if your ends look good (as needed). Also, I think my hair tends to get use to the same old routine. I have to switch it up every month with different products and washing/conditioning routines.

Re: how do you get over the hair growth "hump"

Take EXTRA special care of your ends. Your hair is growing, I am sure, or u couldnt touch up. I got over the hump by applying Carrot oil Creme to my hair in the a.m. then Profective Healthy Ends & EVOO to my ends every night. This was an increase in moisture for me. I also avoided a lot of manipulation by washing every week as opposed to 3 days to avoid a lot of detangling, use of any heat to dry, or rough ends from air drying. I considered braids (and still may later) but I am not of fan of them. On a side note, I am now using Capilong (ha ha) and will see how that progresses.

Last edited:

skegeesmb said:
I really don't think I've hit a natural hump yet, but I have hit Skegeesmb-made humps. I was good for always keeping my hair cut at shoulderlength. So I would fight myself to get over the shoulderlength hump. This is a good question, guys what do you do?

Ah, NOW you're bringing up my weakness! I cut like a maniac! I am my very OWN SHS!!! THAT'S why I can't get past just below shoulder length...grrrr

AudraChanell said:
Take EXTRA special care of your ends. Your hair is growing, I am sure, or u couldnt touch up. I got over the hump by applying Carrot oil Creme to my hair in the a.m. then Profective Healthy Ends & EVOO to my ends every night. This was an increase in moisture for me. I also avoided a lot of manipulation by washing every week as opposed to 3 days to avoid a lot of detangling, use of any heat to dry, or rough ends from air drying. I considered braids (and still may later) but I am not of fan of them. On a side note, I am now using Capilong (ha ha) and will see how that progresses.

Sounds like a good combination for moisture ya got there...Let us know how the capilong goes!

Check out Carlie's album and read her regime and journal entries. It's very insightful and she grew her hair long with just styling it in a bun most of the time! ;)

AudraChanell said:

Hey AC... I have some EVOO and may start applying it to my ends every night. Either your hair grows extra fast or you retained a lot of length!!! ;)

I seem to have been at the same length for the last 2 months my hair is getting more thicker and not really gaining length.
I have just started viviscal to help get me over the hump.

I had my hair cut in a shoulder length bob and I took stretching out my relaxers to get me past the shoulder length hair. Try to go 12 to 16 weeks if you can.

I made my own humps by letting stylists convince me i needed 2 inch cuts at a time, now I dust and do al the styling myself, vitamins patience and good regime, now there's no more hump.

elaine said:
I am taking the vitamins, doing the protective styles, scalp massages, regular trims, and it never seems to fail; Right when I get to a certain length (the collar bone) my hair will not grow anymore. Yes, it takes me longer because I take medication, but what did you ladies with hair past the shoulder do to get over the hump? Any suggestions?

look.gif

Don't forget the hair (at different moments) go through growth stages.
It renews, grows, & rests at different times. Different sections are in different stages all the time... :grin:

I mentioned this in a thread before. I am at a place where my hair has always broken off before. I'm at the precipice and was a little nervous. But I am a vigorous protective styler, and that is getting me past my previous stopping points.

Back