How do you blow dry without stiff results?

abcd09

Every once in a blue moon I straighten my hair, starting with a blow dryer. I notice that my method might be too green to get flowing, silky results since my hair wind up feelings stiff and lifeless after a few minutes. I try to stop using the dryer before the stiffness sets in, but that usually translates to air drying which also translates to stiffness. I've tried using less products and I tend to blow dry on cool settings.

What's your method for pretty, flawless hair?

I only blow-dryed and straightened once, or twice. But even when i air dry my hair isnt stiff. I would think it has something to do with the type of products your using. Im sure others with more straight experience will have some info.

I rollerset. Blowdryers are only good for me when I want the blowout look. I could never get swangy hair after a blowout. :yep:

Im relaxed and I may blow dry and flat iron once a month. I never have stiff results after the process. I will wash my hair and deep condish for at least 30 minutes with plastic cap. I then apply 1 leave in, 1 heat protectant and 1 serum and blow/dry-flat iron. Results are always bouncy, light and free flowing.

This is probably terrible but after I wash and condition my hair, *sometimes* I blow dry with no product, no heat protectant, nothing. This helps my hair dry faster and keeps it completely weightless...it's super flowy. When I'm ready to flat iron, that's when I apply a serum like CHI Silk Infusion. and my hair is still flowy.

Last edited:
Like some have said, it may have to do with the products you're using; are they heavy products? Are you using more than a dime/nickel/quarter size amount? It's imperative to be careful of how much product your using for the length of your hair. That's how I used to always have limp, heavy laden hair.

Next, it's also about technique. I don't do anything special though; I apply a tiny amount of leave-in mixed with serum, and let my hair air dry to about 70%; then I blowdry with the nozzle concentrator attatched and a wide toothed, vent paddle brush. My hair is usually light, straight and bouncy. I typically finish that all off with a med. heat flat-ironing job; and before I flat iron I usually add a dime amount of serum or none at all.

This is probably terrible but after I wash and condition my hair, I blow dry with no product, no heat protectant, nothing. This helps my hair dry faster and keeps it completely weightless...it's super flowy. When when I'm ready to flat iron, that's when I apply a serum like CHI Silk Infusion. and my hair is still flowy.

this isn't terrible at all! I've done the same thing. as long as my hair is properly deep conditioned, it remains super soft and flowy.
the only reason i put a drop of serum (literally, one drop) is because as a natural, the silicone helps the brush glide through my hair.

Op, do you use a comb attachment? my hair comes out more flowy and swangy when i use a paddle brush and the concentrator nozzle.

My hair broke my comb attachment :nono:

My blow dryer is a conair ionized one. I dont have any other attachments. Maybe this is the problem?

Sometimes I use a round brush for my bangs. This seems to work well. I usually don't use a lot of products (spritz of CHI heat protectant, dime sized amount of argan oil or CHI silk infusion).

When I blow dry I use very little product, just a heat protectant and a small amount of coconut oil for shine and I get so much bounce and movement.

Deep moisture - Before the blow dry is helpful... then What I do is spray Pure Aloe Vera Juice - and Turn up the Heat Spray protectant.... Then Blow dry in Sections. I have good results.

very simple method (to me).... i run my shower comb through my hair after i've washed/conditioned it.... blow-dry (Vidal Sassoon 1875 with the comb attachment) on high until it's about 80% dry with no product.... and then i work about a nickel sized amount of chi serum through my hair, concentrating on my roots and then the ends.... then i finish blow drying on high, concentrating on the roots and blowing it in all directions... it takes me 10 minutes or less to fully blow-dry my hair and the results are always bouncy and moisturized...

ETA: i'm 13 weeks post and blow-drying this way gets me super straight....

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Im sure I need help with my actual technique...I can tell from what everyone is saying that this is what is wrong in my routine since I deep condition and don't use a ton of products.

Does anyone blow dry on cool only?

This is probably terrible but after I wash and condition my hair, *sometimes* I blow dry with no product, no heat protectant, nothing. This helps my hair dry faster and keeps it completely weightless...it's super flowy. When I'm ready to flat iron, that's when I apply a serum like CHI Silk Infusion. and my hair is still flowy.

I love Chi on wet hair. I have never been impress applying it to dry hair. But once I put it on my wet hair my hair dries like silk.

Used to do this as well but without the serum up until I got lazy and joined the no heat until reaching your goal challenge. It makes my hair flow and swing. I'll probably go back to that method after WL.

Last edited:
Subbing...
For some reason, my hair gets really stiff during my blow-dry as well and I'm thinking that maybe I need to let it airdry for longer before I go at it with my paddle brush and concentrator.

ETA: I'll have to try the aloe vera juice thing next time!

I blowdry before I flatiron and my hair always comes out really bouncy with lots of flow. Well, what I do is I wash and condition my hair. I usually use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. I then put it up in a bun to let it airdry. I take it down and part my hair in sections and use a paddle brush and no product to make it just puffy. I am not trying to get it straight. I just want the curl pattern out. I am transitioning and my natural hair is about shoulder length. Anyway, when I am done with that, I use a tiny bit of coconut oil on each section and flatiron. I know, I know, most people use protectant. To be honest, I don't and my hair doesn't have any damage and grows well. Hope that is helpful.

so how does everyone with silky results use the blow dryer? Tension? Blowuntil completely dry? Move the blow dryer around? Stop before it is too dry? Blow on cool settings only?

Products. I condition, put in sabino LOK N BLOK and that's it. Sometimes if forget I'm going to flat iron and I use the wrong conditioner with too much mineral oil I have to start over.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I'd gotten tips from my thread about blow drying and tried it on a section last night. Came out silky smooth. It had nothing to do with products because I was on 3 day hair and hadn't added anything to my hair since I'd washed.

They key was that my hair had been stretched in a small section and mostly dry. It was slightly damp from the shower, not totally dry. i blow dried with a comb pick on medium and finished with a cool shot. I was able to straighten completely with one pass at 310 degrees.

Last edited:
so how does everyone with silky results use the blow dryer? Tension? Blowuntil completely dry? Move the blow dryer around? Stop before it is too dry? Blow on cool settings only?

i guess my results are relatively silky for natural hair. my top things:
1) good deep condition
2) Minimal amount of product-serum just for ease of detangling as a natural. my hair is in four sections, and i only use about a drop per section.
3) Tension method until mostly dry
4) Paddle brush and concentrator nozzle to "straighten" / I just tried the round brush this last time, and that came out great too, but i'll need practice for that.
5) finish up with a cool shot. i feel this really helps.

MsLizziA, girl i understand. I have lost many of the teeth on my comb thingy, so I just gave it up. All it takes is practice really, you'll get it. I think Rachel from Salon Cabelo has a good tutorial that might help with hand placement.

Lots of great points made already. Deep conditioning and detangling are a must especially if you are a natural. I have been relaxer free since 2005. I deep condition and detangle my hair before blow drying. I don't like to use a lot of product because it makes my hair heavy. I use a good leave in , some oil and a serum.

Ok, Here is my suggestion, I know it is long!! But it works!

1) Get a tourmaline blow dryer (does not dry hair out and helps with shine)
2) Invest in a heat protectant like Nioxin Thermal Bliss and Paul Mitchell Skinny serum..you have to use good products to get a good blowout
3) Use a nozzle attachment instead of a comb (also use a paddle brush, denman, or boar bristle round brush if you don't mind some initial practice)
4) Blow dry the hair about 80% dry and stretch it with your fingers while doing this, kind of like a taut pull, then comb thru with your fingers - make sure to blow dry the sides of your head forward and the rest of it in an up and out direction
5) Section hair in with clips (I tend to blow dry from the back, then the sides, then the top to finish)
6) Take thin sections of hair (about a half and inch) and art hortizontally. Blow dry, then brush. Maybe two or three passes, you don't want it to be bone dry when you are done.
7) Continue this all over your head. Like I said, the main goal is to not expect it to blow straight with just the blow dryer. Afer this, just flat iron it or curl it, set it on velcro rods, steam rollers, whichever one you choose.

I use hot setting, but don't put it too close to your hair. About six inches away.

This dry method will get your hair pretty straight.

What contributes to the dryness a lot is the dryer. The ionized dryers should provide more moisture, but an ideal, affordable dryer should be tourmaline and ionized. Also, product, product, product. You have to invest in something that is going to get the job done. Here are a list of my favorites for straightening.

1) Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum
2) Nioxin Thermal Bliss
3) Nexxus Straightening Balm
4) Nexxus Spray in Leave In
5) Kerestase Oleo Relax - this is my favorite but a bit pricey $25, but lasts a while, you only need a tiny bit
6) Alfaparf Serum

Oh yeah, you dont' want to overdo it on the product. Just a pea size of any straightening balm and maybe a dime size of serum. Make sure to spread it across your hands and distribute. After you put it in your hair, make sure to take a wide tooth come or denman and brush for about a minute or two to ensure it is evenly distributed. The better the product, the less you will need.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I blew dry yesterday. My roots are STIFF for some reason.

I think the paddle gave me some nasty splits.:nono: I don't know how this works, but maybe you all have some super strong ends or something?

I notice I dont have as much splits when I use just the comb detachment.

Here's what I did.

I roller set my hair with a teeny bit of setting lotion and a teeny bit of argan oil. I let it dry. Then I took each section and made a passing through with the paddle and blow dryer, switching from hot to cool after a few passes. My hair came out stiff and looks thin. It doesnt move, plus I had to cut off some ends. I'm thinking the rollersetting didnt work well with this.

This is an art form.

Last edited:
I blew dry yesterday. My roots are STIFF for some reason.

I think the paddle gave me some nasty splits.:nono: I don't know how this works, but maybe you all have some super strong ends or something?

I notice I dont have as much splits when I use just the comb detachment.

Here's what I did.

I roller set my hair with a teeny bit of setting lotion and a teeny bit of argan oil. I let it dry. Then I took each section and made a passing through with the paddle and blow dryer, switching from hot to cool after a few passes. My hair came out stiff and looks thin. It doesnt move, plus I had to cut off some ends. I'm thinking the rollersetting didnt work well with this.

This is an art form.

i have a feeling that the setting lotion may have been the culprit. i definitely can't use any product with "hold" before I blowdry, or the end result will be similar to what you described. learned that once when some lady used some type of styling foam at a salon to blowdry my hair. it was a mess. :nono:

i have a feeling that the setting lotion may have been the culprit. i definitely can't use any product with "hold" before I blowdry, or the end result will be similar to what you described. learned that once when some lady used some type of styling foam at a salon to blowdry my hair. it was a mess. :nono:
:nono::nono::nono: Thanks. Setting Lotion should be used for rollersets only with no other process then. Btw I used Nairobi Wrapp n Shine

I feel like I want to do my hair again. It looks a mess and I can't take it.

Another thing is I cant ever get my hair to look right. Like some of you guys know how to style and look nice with your hair. Maybe I do need a salon visit.

I would agree try cutting out the setting lotion

I use Aphogee Green Tea and Aphogee leave in *you can just try the Aphogee Green Tea

Smidge of Argan oil, Meaning I turn the bottle upside down on my hand what ever sticks is what I use.

I get under my hooded dryer and dry 90%

Part my hair into four sections, blow dry each section on medium then go back over with a hot burst. All of this in 2 minutes

I deep condition weekly.

Back