How do u keep relaxer from getting on hair?

lunalight7

I had a touchup today and I specifically asked my stylist to touch up ONLY the new growth, not all of my hair as he had been doing prior to my joining this board (Yikes). He agreed but as he attempted to do what I asked, his gloves were full of relaxer....so as he parted each section, he got relaxer all over the previously relaxed hair. How can I avoid this happening in the future? Im really trying to avoid all of the no-no's....
frown.gif

You could try coating your previously relaxed hair with something like conditioner. I'm sure some of the ladies here use other things to coat their previously relaxed hair with.

I noticed that my stylist would get relaxer over previously relaxed hair in trying to get at my new growth. I asked her if she could use something to protect my hair, she put Pre-Con( Summit Labs) gel on my hair. Years ago this gel was used to condition hair by old time stylists, gel put on hair and then under heat for a few minutes then rinsed out. If you read the jar info you can see this advice. This might work OK for you as it does dry and may be easier to use than conditioner.

Hi,
Has anyone heard of this product by Elasta QP: it is called . Before & After Protein Revitalizing Complex This what it said on the Bottle: Before and After is a sophisticated blend of natual wheat and silk proteins to rebuild and protect, seal in natural moisture, thicken, volumize, and brighten dull, damaged hair.

Directions: To repair damaged hair, spray on evenly, comb thru, place client with plastic cap under a warm dryer for 10 minutes, rinse well, and continue with styling as usual. BEFORE chemical application, spray hair liberally making sure of complete coverage. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DISTURB THE SCALP. Place client under a cool dryer DO NOT COVER HAIR to make sure hair is dry BEFORE chemical is applied. AFTER shampooing chemical from hair, reapply, comb through, and rinse well.

INGREDIENTS: purified water, hydrolyzed wheat protein, disodium cocoamphodipropionate, cetrimonium chloride, hydrolysed silk protein, polyquaternium-10, polysorbate 20, magnesium sulfate, fragrance, methylparaben, propylparaben, imidazlidinyl urea, citric acid.

this might protect your hair. I have used it twice. And no usual breakage after my touch up.

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed that my stylist would get relaxer over previously relaxed hair in trying to get at my new growth. I asked her if she could use something to protect my hair, she put Pre-Con( Summit Labs) gel on my hair. Years ago this gel was used to condition hair by old time stylists, gel put on hair and then under heat for a few minutes then rinsed out. If you read the jar info you can see this advice. This might work OK for you as it does dry and may be easier to use than conditioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had a hairdresser use that on my hair a long time ago, when I used to go to them to get relaxers. She didn't rinse though. She applied the relaxer after the precon gel. I've used it myself as well, but not often.

The only thing that will keep a relaxer from getting on hair is to have an experienced person perming your hair. They should be careful not to overlap your relaxer. I believe that heavy oils can help but relaxers can break right though conditioners and oils.

Oh my.
blush.gif
What about when your stylist combs the relaxer through your hair, after they have applied it?? My stylists applies, then combs through and smooths all my hair back into a pony tail. I would say that I can recall him taking his gloves and smoothing all my hair back. My hair falls to the bottom of the nape of my neck. I guess he has indeed over lapped the relaxer onto hair that has already been permed.
whyme.gif
Maybe that's why my hair never really is as thick as I would like it.
frown.gif
I'm just so sick about this.

Compassion

[ QUOTE ]
My stylists applies, then combs through and smooths all my hair back into a pony tail. I would say that I can recall him taking his gloves and smoothing all my hair back.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a BIG no-no. Your stylist is making your strands weaker and thinner by doing this. This also leads to dryness and major breakage. If you continue to stay with him, keep an eye on everything he does and tell him that you want him to relax the newgrowth only.

Why-oh-why do stylists do this????

I also wonder - How do you keep relaxer from getting on your scalp? Instructions tell us to apply 1/8" from scalp but by the time we've sectioned and worked it in, it seems the relaxer has seeped down onto the scalp.

Back