How Do Naturals Keep Their Hair Straight?????

Country gal

I am having a hard time keeping my hair straight without it getting all thick and puffy. When I put heat on it, it turns out well. Last night I sweated it out dancing. Now it is all puffy but I don't want to keep putting heat on it. What do you do to keep natural hair straight without constantly putting heat on it. I tried wrapping it but it didn't work very well.

no offense but why don't you just straighten your hair? I would tell you, you could probably brush it or band it and it will flatten back out. But you like straight hair and this board is about hair health whether straight, curly or natural. If you think you are going to want to put in the work to straighten it all the time. Straighten it permanently. Just don't make the same mistakes we all did the first go around with relaxer...

better yet, texturize it.

Keracare pressing oil is great!, my press usually lasted about 2/3 weeks with this stuff :D

HTH

Crissi, x

I don't want to wear it straight all the time hence me going natural. I am not a straight hair feen. Since I am wearing it straight this week, I don't want to apply heat everyday I wear it out to make it flatten out. This is the first time in 2 years that I have worn it straight. I don't feel that I need to wear a perm to achieve a straight look. There are plenty of naturals on this board that straighten their hair without perms.

Do you wear your natural hair straight or is it perm? I am really looking for responses from folks that deal with natural hair or have worn their natural hair straight. Thanks.

Crissi said:
Keracare pressing oil is great!, my press usually lasted about 2/3 weeks with this stuff :D

HTH

Crissi, x

I used the Redken heat glide when blowdrying my hair. I also used Dudley's hair wax for maxigliding my hair. I guess a flat ironing the hair does not last as long as pressing the hair?

Country gal said:
I am having a hard time keeping my hair straight without it getting all thick and puffy. When I put heat on it, it turns out well. Last night I sweated it out dancing. Now it is all puffy but I don't want to keep putting heat on it. What do you do to keep natural hair straight without constantly putting heat on it. I tried wrapping it but it didn't work very well.
heres what i do-
1. wrap pony with silky scarf.http://public.fotki.com/naturaline/christmas_box/protective-styles-1/021006356.html

2. put a roller on the end.
3 wear a larger scarf covering whole head.

morning hair fluffed up- i like it fluffly lol
http://public.fotki.com/naturaline/christmas_box/protective-styles-1/021006361.html

it keeps my hair straight and it still has body the next morning.

hth
x

naturaline said:
heres what i do-
1. wrap pony with silky scarf.http://public.fotki.com/naturaline/christmas_box/protective-styles-1/021006356.html

2. put a roller on the end.
3 wear a larger scarf covering whole head.

morning hair fluffed up- i like it fluffly lol
http://public.fotki.com/naturaline/christmas_box/protective-styles-1/021006361.html

it keeps my hair straight and it still has body the next morning.

hth
x

I knew there had to be some effective method. Some is the silk scarve routine a version of banding? Your hair looks so full and pretty.

Country gal said:
I don't want to wear it straight all the time hence me going natural. I am not a straight hair feen. Since I am wearing it straight this week, I don't want to apply heat everyday I wear it out to make it flatten out. This is the first time in 2 years that I have worn it straight. I don't feel that I need to wear a perm to achieve a straight look. There are plenty of naturals on this board that straighten their hair without perms.

Do you wear your natural hair straight or is it perm? I am really looking for responses from folks that deal with natural hair or have worn their natural hair straight. Thanks.

My hair is natural. The last time I texturized it was over a year ago and that has since grown out several inches so I'm going to take the natural tag.

And I'm sure there are plenty of naturals who achieve straight styles and keep them longer time, but heat is required. If you're going to go through all of that, straighten your hair permanently or throw some heat on it. Thanks.

hey CG, the only 2 things that seem to "control" that poofiness is a good silicone and/or a good wax....i've got a can of red stuff early in the summertime, some sort of thick wax. a black gal @ a bss store suggested using it to block moisture. (hehe, i luv the Jamaican mango & lime scent and the nice soft texture :D but don't think it's good for flatironing).
i mention the color of the girl because if anyone would know about poof, ishe'd be the one LOL)
that red stuff works but it can be real heavy if you use too much - i guess same as the cone.

i had real good luck with biosilk but some of the other gals were saying there's alcohol in it and i can be drying. works for me since i don't wear my hair straight much these days.

Country gal said:
I used the Redken heat glide when blowdrying my hair. I also used Dudley's hair wax for maxigliding my hair. I guess a flat ironing the hair does not last as long as pressing the hair?

I think its based on technique, because when i use to get my hair pressed, my word it was straight sleek and shiney, i forgot what she blow dried my hair with, but then she'd press it with the ol' skool pressingtongs and comb, i always had great results. But when i got it straightened with a flat iron it wasn't the same at all, but i think its because the woman had a terrible technique, to the point where she burnt my hair off. HOW DO YOU DO THAT WITH CONTROLLED HEAT!, that has to be poor technique. BTW my friend would get her hair straightened with a flat iron when she was natural, she's also use the keracare pressing creme, and it still came out lovely...

Country gal said:
I knew there had to be some effective method. Some is the silk scarve routine a version of banding? Your hair looks so full and pretty.
iv been doin this when ever i flat iron my hair since last year (it is quite like banding;-)

i like the bandin idea but i know im hairs thick so didnt think it would work-out that well for me. so figured to using a scarft will product smother results. i 1st tried it on my curly hair. it left my hair wavy and lookon longer, which meant i could do different styles. usually the day after my wash my hairs shrunken and v.curly.

http://public.fotki.com/naturaline/christmas_box/protective-styles-1/dsc01140.html

http://public.fotki.com/naturaline/christmas_box/protective-styles-1/dsc01147.html

i have other pics in my album that may help.
i was really inpressed with this method. hope it works well for you too! ;-)

(sorry i went alil' off topic but i just wanna help) xx

hth

Country gal said:

yikes sorry - that's what i get for not reading the entire thread.

i will be 100% natural one day though :);)

Country gal said:

This is normal. Usually when you go so long without pressing, then the hair poofs out faster, I've been through that. If it were done on a regimen then it wouldn't poof out so fast but heat on the regular can be damaging. Try some coconut oil prior to straightening. I seem to remember that spraying each section down with rose water will help smooth the hair.:confused: You can try...

Tsipy

You beat me to saying that :) If you haven't straightened in such a long time your hair is going to be like "uh-uh, homey don't play dat":lol:. Usually when my hair puffs up, at night I'll put a little mosturizer on it and tie it down with my scarf. The next day it will be more tame.

OT: jengrady what are you talking about????? Why are you recommending a perm when obviously thats not what the gal is asking for. :perplexed why should she do that when she isn't looking for a permanent fix?

tsiporah said:
This is normal. Usually when you go so long without pressing, then the hair poofs out faster, I've been through that. If it were done on a regimen then it wouldn't poof out so fast but heat on the regular can be damaging. Try some coconut oil prior to straightening. I seem to remember that spraying each section down with rose water will help smooth the hair.:confused: You can try...

Tsipy

To the OP:

Girl, to keep my hair straight after a press, I just try really hard not to sweat! That means luke warm showers and no strenous activity. If my hair does start to puff up, I will braid it at night so in the morning its wavy.

I straighten my hair about once every three months. I usually blow dry and then use a flat iron to get it really straight. If you look in my fotki all of the pictures where I have used this method are in the first album. Just recently I got a dominican blow out..........that is in the second album labeled "December 06'". Whether blow drying or flat ironing I usually always flat iron after the fact to keep it and straight with a slight bump at the end. But just recently my younger sister wrapped my hair before I went bed and it came out great....even better than when I used the flat iron. So from now on when I staighten I will just wrap and avoid heat at all cost. Lastly be careful with flat ironing....you may damage you hair with the excessive heat. Well I wouldn't call it damage because my hair still is very healthy. The front is just bone straight and the back is extremely curly. I can't really do wet and go styles because of this. Hope this helps you can check out my fotki in to see my hair textures when curly and straight.

In order to keep my hair straight for a whole week after I've gotten it flat-ironed or pressed, I put oil or a polish ONLY on the ends and wrap it at night and some kind of pomade on the edges in the front. I also make the air-condition in my house colder. In the morning after I take a shower and I've dried off I sit in front of a fan to stop my scalp from sweating. I try to do as few little activities as possible. :pTHis sounds funny, now thatI've actually written it down. It just works for me that the less sweat/moisture/liquid around my hair, the better to keep it straight. That's why I usually only wear my hair straight when the weather is zero humidity or cold and dry outside. If you plan to go dancing or play sports IMO, it's best to just wear it natural or do a sew-in. Otherwise, you are probably going to have puffy roots.

Last edited:
jengrady said:
My hair is natural. The last time I texturized it was over a year ago and that has since grown out several inches so I'm going to take the natural tag.

And I'm sure there are plenty of naturals who achieve straight styles and keep them longer time, but heat is required. If you're going to go through all of that, straighten your hair permanently or throw some heat on it. Thanks.

:confused:why do u keep suggesting that she straighten permanently? This is like the first time she's worn her hair straight 'ever' since she's been natural. Also probably wanted to just see the actual length and since she went thru all that trouble why not try to hold it for awhile.

CG u know I'm not natural but maybe try wrapping hair around head(doobie) then tie with scarf. Also suggest more oils and leave ins so it won't poof out as much

jengrady said:
no offense but why don't you just straighten your hair? I would tell you, you could probably brush it or band it and it will flatten back out. But you like straight hair and this board is about hair health whether straight, curly or natural. If you think you are going to want to put in the work to straighten it all the time. Straighten it permanently. Just don't make the same mistakes we all did the first go around with relaxer...

better yet, texturize it.

:confused: no offense but this is why women will slap a relaxer on their head instead of first exploring all the options available with natural hair...the only options are not relaxer or only wear it curly, there's an array of products and techniques out there that WE are all still learning about to make OUR hair work for us, whether it be relaxed or natural or in between. I'm perplexed that you insist she likes straight hair and tell her to just relax it when she's been natural for a good while and she's asking us how to keep her press from poofing?

Anyway CG I would try banding it after applying either a silicone or a heavier oil like castor oil, that usually works...or you could moisturize and braid it for a cute braid out look, it'll be enlongated and the poof/volume will work in your favor. That's what I usually do on with a press that's reverting.:)

jengrady said:

I understand your philosphy. Heat can be just has damaging as a chemical. Some folks think chemicals are better than using heat all the time. I do use heat but I don't want to use it everyday while my hair is straight. I do realize it will have a lasting effect on my hair. I just trying to find a happy medium. Thanks for the input.

caligirl said:
To the OP:

Girl, to keep my hair straight after a press, I just try really hard not to sweat! That means luke warm showers and no strenous activity. If my hair does start to puff up, I will braid it at night so in the morning its wavy.

I knew not to work out with straight hair but I forgot about dancing. The house was so hot, I was sweating so bad. That's what I get for dropping it like it's hot. my dang on curls dropped too.

JuicesN'Berries said:
I straighten my hair about once every three months. I usually blow dry and then use a flat iron to get it really straight. If you look in my fotki all of the pictures where I have used this method are in the first album. Just recently I got a dominican blow out..........that is in the second album labeled "December 06'". Whether blow drying or flat ironing I usually always flat iron after the fact to keep it and straight with a slight bump at the end. But just recently my younger sister wrapped my hair before I went bed and it came out great....even better than when I used the flat iron. So from now on when I staighten I will just wrap and avoid heat at all cost. Lastly be careful with flat ironing....you may damage you hair with the excessive heat. Well I wouldn't call it damage because my hair still is very healthy. The front is just bone straight and the back is extremely curly. I can't really do wet and go styles because of this. Hope this helps you can check out my fotki in to see my hair textures when curly and straight.

Beautiful hair. :D I am worried about the heat damage too. I washed my hair yesterday, I was so happy to see my coils again. I flatironed for the party.

First off I want to thank everyone for their input. I didn't mean to say I didn't want advice from non naturals. I get a lot of good advice from everyone. Thanks for the ladies who got it. I just want to hold on to the straight styles while I have it not consistently put heat on it. One of the reasons I didn't want to perm my hair anymore is because I liked textured styles better than straight. It didn't make sense for me to get a perm two years ago.

I wanted to straighten my hair for a different look and check out the length. It is straight but I want it to look smooth. I am glad I started this thread because some valid points were made. I didn't realize that since my hair has not been straigth in over two years that it would revert back easier.

Sylver- I thouight about you and your satin scarf. I tried wrapping my hair like you do but it was not acting right in the middle. So the wrap didn't work.

I also sweat at night. So my hair gets puffy at the roots.

12 months post relaxer...I'll chime in. :look:

Last night, I straightened my hair, and this is the most behaved it's been. It has been raining ALL day, and my hair hasn't reverted and gotten poofy amidst the humidity.

The keys for me were: a good serum (I used Nexxus Retexxtur) & my electric pressing comb. I've found that my hair gets straighter using the pressing comb versus the flat iron. The beauty of the electric pressing comb is that I control the temperature of it (in degrees), and I don't have to worry about it overheating or there being hot spots. It doesn't leave that smoky smell that iron comb leave behind. I absolutely love it.

I've also noticed that less is more with product usage. I used to think that my hair would get frizzy if I didn't use enough product to weigh it down, but the opposite has been true. Too much product has ruined many a straight style so I stick to deep conditioning really well using a tiny bit of leave in (a quarter size for the whole head) and a dollop or two of serum. Then I blow dry on cool (excellent for "deflating" my hair) and follow with the comb/flat iron.

HTH

{DI}

CG,
I agree with Divine Inspiration a pressing comb seems to straighten better. With that said, I do get a good straightening with my flat iron and I am afraid of heat so once I flat iron/press(I have an electric pressing comb to contol heat) that is all the heat I will use for two weeks or until the next wash.

I put IC heat protectant (pink bottle) prior to straightening and wrap it around my head and tie with a scarf as Sylver described for sleeping. For poofy hair, I apply Qhemet olive oil and honey moisture balm (just a bit) wrap(doobie) w/ a scarf and my hair is nice and flat again in the morning. To protect it from general sweating around the edges, I will tie a scarf like Sylver (that's where I got the idea) and then add a satin cap to hold the ends but, I only do this if I am concerend about the edges and the middle is straight. Foe showers I keep it wrapped or wrap it, shower and don not take it down until I have cooled off and any perspiration has dried. These methods keep my hair straight until I wash.

Kind of long but, HTHs. By the way, I have been natural for over 10 years .

CG, you may have to have it straightened professionally by someone who can handle 4a/b hair, I say that because some people can only straighten hair that is not really kinky. I cannot really press/flat iron/straighten natural hair to save my life, no matter what products, etc., I cannot get the technique down so that it is super silky and straight and then on top of that make it last? Only in my dreams. I know I will have to go to the hairdresser when and if I straighten my hair in the future. Just another idea...

I hope some of the other ideas you were given work out the next time you straighten your hair. Girl, I can't believe you went dancing and thought your hairdo would last:lol:.

Hopeful, I got a natural way of thinking now.:lol: I forget with the straight hair, I just can't wash and go like with my natural coily hair. I forgot that the humidity and sweat would ruin the style quick. Thank God I had a ponytail holder. Ladies are giving some good advice. I think the next time I will straighten again will be in April by then I should have it down pack.

I'm not natural, but for what it's worth, since I've been self relaxing, my hair has way more natural texture than it's had in years. :lol: Lately, I've been having good sucess using Thermasilk Straight & Smooth cream with Fantasia IC pink serum on top on my wavy roots. I then Maxiglide my airdried hair. This combo keep my hair straight through my next wash. WGO is also supposed to have some straightening qualities too when used with heat. HTH :)

I use aveda anti-humectant during the week I'm wearing it straight (and girl, you know you can't do too many sweat inducting activities during this time...:lol: )

The other thing that helps is that I wrap it at night if I have energy, if I don't I make one big pin curl...kinda like a pincurl bun, in the back of my head and I sleep with a satin scarf. Usually my scalp starts reverting after a few days but the rest of it stays straight till I wash it out.

Back