How do I tell my friend that she needs to wash her hair?

One of my friends asked me if her hair was dirty so I smelled it and told her what I found out:lol: She was horrified and went straight upstairs to thoroughly wash and condition it. She's quite clean in other ways, but I think its the whole you don't need to wash your hair black thing. It didn't break our friendship at all. I couldn't smell it without getting close though.

I tell my mum if I have to take her weave or extensions out that her hair smells because it really hits me like a tonne of bricks. I think its rude to ask someone to do your hair after 2/3 months of dirty anyway.

You should "accidentally" spill something over her head while she's sitting down like custard or yoghurt. Something gooey and apologise profusely. Then offer to wash it out of her hair for her - cause you are a great friend :grin:

You should "accidentally" spill something
yeah hopefully you didn't read the rest of the thread.

I'm so sorry she lost her mom :( hopefully you'll have some results with your hair when she gets back and hopefully she'll care enough to ask about it and make some changes.

If that happens I hope you make sure to ask the mods to delete this. Because I'd hate you if I thought we were friends and I saw this thread.

I'd show her the greasy pillow and ask her how often she washes her hair. Based on her reaction, I'd go from there. It's not easy to tell someone their personal hygiene is lacking. Showing her tangible proof of what she leaves behind should cement it that it's not normal. At the very least, she'll think twice about laying her head on your pillow again.

If she's your closest friend then you guys already have the habit of telling each other the truth no matter what. If you don't then...hmm...
ANYWAYS. Tell her you have this cute hairstyle you w ant to try on someone and if she would let you do her hair. If she says yes, then like the other poster said. make a cute gift basket and tell her what each product is for. and if she wants her hair to grow and be healthy then she should follow these stps. But make it relevant to her. If she likes to wear her hair in a ponytail and put lots of gel, find her a better gel and tell her she should wash it every 1 week because of build up. blah blah. Girl you know what to do.

I was in a similar situation once. My GF's mother had a brain tumor, and this GF stank. It was getting to hte point where everyone was talking about it and she was about to become a social pariah. I told her about it and things got better.
I'm sorry your friend's mom died and I know now is not the best moment to talk about hair.
However, ask yourself what kind a consequence this lack of hygiene could have on a potential employer /BF.

Back