How do/did you get saved?

new-life

What is or was the process? Was it baptism? How did it happen? What's the feeling like? How has your life improved since then? Sorry for sounding so technical about this, I'm not trying to be, but I'm still trying to find myself with a relationship w/God. There's just sooo much issues that I need to confront with myself, and honestly, there's never been a day that I just felt "free" and "light". I just always feel like I'm a burden on myself, and I just want God to turn me around for the better. So, what's your testimony?

Salvation, according to the bible, entails this:

You must hear the word of God (Romans 10:14-17)
Believe the word of God (John 5:24)
Repent (Acts 3:19)
Comfess (10:32 &33)
Be Baptized (Mark 16:16)
And live faithfully until death (Revelation To John 2:10)

I grew up in a baptist church... atleast until I was in highschool. And besides the few bible stories we learned in Sunday school... I can't tell you much else of what I learned there. But I confidently called myself a Christian. :sad: I look back and see that I was nowhere near being a Christian and the life I was living would have surely landed me straight in hell.
I suffered a lot, due to my own choices, but one thing remained true... I did want to be closer to God. Even through all the nonsense, I honestly wanted to be closer to God.
God being faithful as he is, knew my heart, and began putting lessons in my path that taught me SO many things in a short time. I believe he was cultivating my "soil" so that His seed could be well received. When my heart was right, He placed me in the right place at the right time to cross paths with someone who introduced me to my church (Church of Christ).
What makes this so special to me is that this church is not poluted with the traditions of man (ie, denominations) but we are taught the true word of God.
Being saved has meant that I find joy in all seasons of life, the good and the bad. And I have true happiness and peace. I am constantly growing and learning and hungering to know more about God. I've never known true contentment until now.
Being faithful to God, just as he is faithful to me, has given me a new lease on life.

I grew up in a baptist church... atleast until I was in highschool. And besides the few bible stories we learned in Sunday school... I can't tell you much else of what I learned there. But I confidently called myself a Christian. :sad: I look back and see that I was nowhere near being a Christian and the life I was living would have surely landed me straight in hell.
I suffered a lot, due to my own choices, but one thing remained true... I did want to be closer to God. Even through all the nonsense, I honestly wanted to be closer to God.
God being faithful as he is, knew my heart, and began putting lessons in my path that taught me SO many things in a short time. I believe he was cultivating my "soil" so that His seed could be well received. When my heart was right, He placed me in the right place at the right time to cross paths with someone who introduced me to my church (Church of Christ).
What makes this so special to me is that this church is not poluted with the traditions of man (ie, denominations) but we are taught the true word of God.
Being saved has meant that I find joy in all seasons of life, the good and the bad. And I have true happiness and peace. I am constantly growing and learning and hungering to know more about God. I've never known true contentment until now.
Being faithful to God, just as he is faithful to me, has given me a new lease on life.

Thanks for your reply Caramela. The bolded is also like me. I've went to church on and off, and I really wasn't familiar with the word of God, except with the story of Joseph, and Moses. I recently made the commitment to go to church every Sunday, even if it's by myself (haven't gone in years). The church that I just joined is so good. The pastor is....wow. I feel good everytime I leave the church. But I always want that feeling. I want to be content all of the time. Not just half of Sunday. Just a question though, are you saying you must be baptized in order to be saved? I saw a thread on that a long time ago and there were mixed answers. Also, more replies are appreciated.

You're going to get 50million responses, but read Acts 2:38....
Me? I was brought up in the church..Apostolic Pentecostal...but, you can be stagnant and still go to church every Sunday. I also I have second Carmela's statement bout choices and still wanting to be close to God. I've made bad decisions, ie, not praying, fasting, studying, etc...feeding my flesh, not the spirit. As a result, I've suffered...no spiritual growth. I still don't really pray the way I should, but I read my Bible way more than I used to. Ask God to show and lead you......He is true to His word!!

Thanks for your reply Caramela. The bolded is also like me. I've went to church on and off, and I really wasn't familiar with the word of God, except with the story of Joseph, and Moses. I recently made the commitment to go to church every Sunday, even if it's by myself (haven't gone in years). The church that I just joined is so good. The pastor is....wow. I feel good everytime I leave the church. But I always want that feeling. I want to be content all of the time. Not just half of Sunday. Just a question though, are you saying you must be baptized in order to be saved? I saw a thread on that a long time ago and there were mixed answers. Also, more replies are appreciated.

Yes, in order to be saved, you MUST be baptized. This is not my opinion - the word of God commands us to be baptized for the remission of our sins.

Please read the scriptures I mentioned in my first post. But specifically regarding baptism the following scriptures show us we must be baptized:

Acts 2:36-3836Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
37Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

John 3:5
5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Romans 6
1What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

2God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

3Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

4Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

6Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

7For he that is dead is freed from sin.

8Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

9Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

10For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

11Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

12Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

13Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

14For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

15What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

16Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

17But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

18Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

19I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

20For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.

21What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

22But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

23For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Cor 12:13
13For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Mark 16:16
16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

I would be worried if you were added to this church and were not baptized. If you don't mind my asking, what type of church is it you've joined?

thank you 1god1 for your response :yep:

Caramela, I became a member, but I haven't been to the new members orientation meetings that they wanted me to attend (because of school/work). That meeting talks about studying the word of God, baptism, etc...It's an AME church (Greater Allen Cathedral).

I just go to the Sunday services for now, I became a member, but I'm not a very active member yet, aside from going to the sunday services

I’m going to try to make this as short as I can or it will turn into a very long post…

I’d been going through a very difficult time…about a year. My boyfriend and I had broken up and I took it pretty hard. Things just kind of fell apart from there. I wasn’t doing well in my classes and as a result I was placed on academic suspension at the end of the Fall semester. I’d gone from living on campus to living in an apartment off campus with a roommate and that proved to be quite an adjustment for me. I was working and I liked my job, but feeling some pressure because now that I was living off campus I *had* to work to pay the bills and it was hard for me to balance working 20 hours a week and taking a full course load. My friends weren’t all that supportive despite the fact that we were all going through similar situations at that time, my parents were really on me about my grades and rightfully so, but it didn’t make me feel any better about myself. I’d been praying and praying and going to church and asking questions to my friends who were saved because I just didn’t have a good understanding of what it was all about. I didn’t grow up in a church and having a relationship with God was not something that my parents really encouraged or pushed for.

About seven months after my boyfriend and I broke up I met this lady at my job. She and I didn’t have anything in common, but for some reason we just sort of gravitated to each other. I knew that she was saved and I asked her questions. One time she asked me if I was saved and I didn’t know how to answer her. She told me she couldn’t figure it out because on one hand I seemed to really be committed to going to Bible study and church on Sundays, but on the other hand there were some things about me that made her question my salvation. Somehow, we started praying together on a regular basis. We would take our shoes off, go out on her balcony and pray. God spoke to her and told her that we had to take our shoes off because we were on Holy ground. She has the gift of prophesy so she would speak a lot of things to me that no one else would know. These were things that I’d never discussed with anyone and yet when she and I prayed together God would speak to me through her. I remember the very first time we prayed together we stood face to face with our palms facing each other, but not touching. In that prayer God told her to tell me to not be afraid and that He was my friend. I don’t know what it was about the words, but it made me feel better to know that I had a God is my friend. The night that I got saved and I knew that I was saved she and I were praying in her living room. She said she saw a vision of us in a church, the church that I attended at the time. In that church the carpet and the cushions on the seats were blue. God spoke to her and said blue was for royalty. Then she saw Jesus at the right hand of God pleading with Him to give me a chance. I don’t know what it was, but from that night on I felt different and I *knew* that I was saved. I didn’t give up all my worldly ways at once…it was a process and 11 years later I am still a work in process.

I was baptized five years ago when my husband and I joined our church. I’d never been baptized and was never christened or dedicated when I was a baby.

Thanks for your testimony mrselle, very touching:yep:.
And Caramela, no I'm not baptized yet.

Last edited:

Caramela this is so beautiful and touching to me...
This morning during my commute, I told God that I just don't feel close to Him and I want him to remove whatever blockage is in the way b/c I really don't know what it is.
I want to be closer to God, to be a better person and mostly, have an intimate relationship with Him. I just feel lost and misguided and I know that I need this guidance, I want the peace and JOY through the good and bad that Christians talk about. I've been through a lot these past 2 years, but I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am looking for a Church that I can attend and hear the Word of God in an applicable manner to daily life. I want to be stronger and freed from all my anxities, my temptations, I want to be freeeee :yep:.

Caramela this is so beautiful and touching to me...
This morning during my commute, I told God that I just don't feel close to Him and I want him to remove whatever blockage is in the way b/c I really don't know what it is.
I want to be closer to God, to be a better person and mostly, have an intimate relationship with Him. I just feel lost and misguided and I know that I need this guidance, I want the peace and JOY through the good and bad that Christians talk about. I've been through a lot these past 2 years, but I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am looking for a Church that I can attend and hear the Word of God in an applicable manner to daily life. I want to be stronger and freed from all my anxities, my temptations, I want to be freeeee :yep:.

:blush3: God is just so good, Britt. I'm glad that you found some consolance in my testimony. I never knew life could be like this. I'll PM you :yep:

:blush3: God is just so good, Britt. I'm glad that you found some consolance in my testimony. I never knew life could be like this. I'll PM you :yep:

Thanks !
It's like your post really touched me b/c I was thinking about this issue this morning, and then I come online and read your post, it's like a lightbulb went off in my head and I feel inspired :yep:

Just wow to the bolded ... that's how i want to feel.

I’m going to try to make this as short as I can or it will turn into a very long post…

I’d been going through a very difficult time…about a year. My boyfriend and I had broken up and I took it pretty hard. Things just kind of fell apart from there. I wasn’t doing well in my classes and as a result I was placed on academic suspension at the end of the Fall semester. I’d gone from living on campus to living in an apartment off campus with a roommate and that proved to be quite an adjustment for me. I was working and I liked my job, but feeling some pressure because now that I was living off campus I *had* to work to pay the bills and it was hard for me to balance working 20 hours a week and taking a full course load. My friends weren’t all that supportive despite the fact that we were all going through similar situations at that time, my parents were really on me about my grades and rightfully so, but it didn’t make me feel any better about myself. I’d been praying and praying and going to church and asking questions to my friends who were saved because I just didn’t have a good understanding of what it was all about. I didn’t grow up in a church and having a relationship with God was not something that my parents really encouraged or pushed for.

About seven months after my boyfriend and I broke up I met this lady at my job. She and I didn’t have anything in common, but for some reason we just sort of gravitated to each other. I knew that she was saved and I asked her questions. One time she asked me if I was saved and I didn’t know how to answer her. She told me she couldn’t figure it out because on one hand I seemed to really be committed to going to Bible study and church on Sundays, but on the other hand there were some things about me that made her question my salvation. Somehow, we started praying together on a regular basis. We would take our shoes off, go out on her balcony and pray. God spoke to her and told her that we had to take our shoes off because we were on Holy ground. She has the gift of prophesy so she would speak a lot of things to me that no one else would know. These were things that I’d never discussed with anyone and yet when she and I prayed together God would speak to me through her. I remember the very first time we prayed together we stood face to face with our palms facing each other, but not touching. In that prayer God told her to tell me to not be afraid and that He was my friend. I don’t know what it was about the words, but it made me feel better to know that I had a God is my friend. The night that I got saved and I knew that I was saved she and I were praying in her living room. She said she saw a vision of us in a church, the church that I attended at the time. In that church the carpet and the cushions on the seats were blue. God spoke to her and said blue was for royalty. Then she saw Jesus at the right hand of God pleading with Him to give me a chance. I don’t know what it was, but from that night on I felt different and I *knew* that I was saved. I didn’t give up all my worldly ways at once…it was a process and 11 years later I am still a work in process.

I was baptized five years ago when my husband and I joined our church. I’d never been baptized and was never christened or dedicated when I was a baby.

hey i don't mean to pry but, if i understand correctly u got saved 11 years ago and got baptised only 5 years ago?
and this Jesus sitting at the right hand of God vision, does this mean u believe in the holy trinity? that Jesus is not God?
and what gift do u have now that u're saved? u speak tongues? u prophesy? u heal? the holy ghost brings verses to ur remembrance?
and one last one do u remember in what names u were baptised? Jesus Christ or father son and holy ghost?

i'm just a curious french person who loves details lol

Back