How come there are no kinky/nappy weaves?

Choklatekiss79

I was thinking about getting a sew in as protective style for a month or so, but after going to several BSS, I found myself out of luck in terms of finding a texture that mirrored my own 4a/b hair. :perplexed How come there are no nappy 'fro weaves. The kinkiest I found looked like 3C hair combed out, which is cool, but not at all like the texture of my hair. :ohwell:

I guess it depends what's popular where you live. I see ladies with sewn-in afro hair before, so i know it's out there somewhere.

The last time I did a sew-in I used Bohyme Brazilian Wave and i'd say it's 4a hair. I got it online at www.hairsisters.com and it matched my hair texture exactly. I'd call my hair kinky-curly; the weave is WAY nappier than french wave or regular wetnwavy. Maybe you can check that style out.

Last edited:
Hrm. I think that there are several reasons (as I've looked myself, and found the selections most thin).

1) Historically, most women with hair that texture, were relaxing it - not trying to demonstrate it and get more.
2) It's VERY hard to create an accurate & realistic mimic of our hair - and I suspect it wouldn't be cheap, either. Even the few 'nappy' wigs I've seen - they've looked horribly and obviously fake (have you seen the Eva Pigford thread????? :nono: )

*sigh*

Though, I don't know, with that afroperm coming out of Korea, maybe you could get a human hair weave, afroperm it, and then rock it......

I guess it depends what's popular where you live. I see ladies with sewn-in afro hair before, so i know it's out there somewhere.

The last time I did a sew-in I used Bohyme Brazilian Wave and i'd say it's 4a hair. I got it online at www.hairsisters.com and it matched my hair texture exactly. I'd call my hair kinky-curly; the weave is WAY nappier than french wave or regular wetnwavy. Maybe you can check that style out.

Is this what you're talking about? How does this match?

Is this what you're talking about? How does this match?

that's what i thought when i saw that pic too, and i was skeptical and held off from pucrchasing for over a year bcuz that lady looks busted. that's the way the hair looks straight out the pack. you actually have to treat this weave like you would your own hair if it was natural and 4a. if you look at my profile pic on here it's the same weave and it looks great!

I had to co-wash in the morning and follow with moisturizing product just like when I wear my own washngos

that's what i thought when i saw that pic too, and i was skeptical and held off from pucrchasing for over a year bcuz that lady looks busted. that's the way the hair looks straight out the pack. you actually have to treat this weave like you would your own hair if it was natural and 4a. if you look at my profile pic on here it's the same weave and it looks great!

I had to co-wash in the morning and follow with moisturizing product just like when I wear my own washngos

Oooh, your profile pic is very cute - I remember you used to have that pic in your siggy, I think.
How it is in your profile is it fully 'shrunken' up?

:lol: I'm still pretty certain that won't match my hair, but it's VERY nice.

I still need help being persuaded that that weave will resemble anything like the photo of your pretty hair in your siggy. Plus, that's A LOT of money for me to invest in....

Okay, I'm sold! Your hair looks really, really good! Sooo much better than the pic they have on the site. I was thinking the EXACT same thing that RR was thinking! I was on another hair board asking about kinky curly hair and one of the posters recommended that hair and I was thinking :nono::nono:.

OP, I sooo feel you. I have to look extra hard for the kinky/nappy type weaves and I can't find any on the so called great sites that sell quality weave hair. Nonetheless, I found some on Hairsisters and they look really good imo. Here they are:

http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/ShoppingList.php?intName1=prod
uct_category&intValue1=2&intName2=product_style_category&intValu
e2=27&intName3=&intValue3=&intName4=&intValue4=&type=style

You can find kinky afro human hair for weaving at www.hisandher.com my favorite source for braiding hair.
a-13-1d.jpg

Comes in lengths as short as 4 inches and as long as 18 and it isn't very expensive.

How many packs did you use/purchase? How much would be needed for a full head weave?

Okay, I'm sold! Your hair looks really, really good! Sooo much better than the pic they have on the site. I was thinking the EXACT same thing that RR was thinking! I was on another hair board asking about kinky curly hair and one of the posters recommended that hair and I was thinking :nono::nono:.

OP, I sooo feel you. I have to look extra hard for the kinky/nappy type weaves and I can't find any on the so called great sites that sell quality weave hair. Nonetheless, I found some on Hairsisters and they look really good imo. Here they are:

http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/ShoppingList.php?intName1=prod
uct_category&intValue1=2&intName2=product_style_category&intValu
e2=27&intName3=&intValue3=&intName4=&intValue4=&type=style

Thanks for this! I don't want anything that's really not close to my own texture. I'd mostly be doing it to protect my ends for a while, but I still want to rock the nap.:grin: Tired of twists for now.

How many packs did you use/purchase? How much would be needed for a full head weave?

I only needed one pack to do my sew-in. A girl that had a comment on the hairsisters website sent me a pic of her sew-in (2 full packs used) and I was convinced that I only needed one pack. It is REALLY thick and bushy! Brazilian wave really acts like natural 4a hair. You can pick it out and sport a 'fro, or wear curly washngos and flatiron it too. It was expensive IMO but I really think it was worth the purchase. I still have the hair i used for that sew-in and I use it all the time when I want a longer ponytail. I'm about to buy a fresh pack now for memorial day wknd!

OP, I really can't say enough about this weave and how natural and beautifully kinky/nappy it looks. I had people thinking it was my own hair, telling me how beautiful "my hair" was and asking for advice on moisturizing, etc.

I only needed one pack to do my sew-in. A girl that had a comment on the hairsisters website sent me a pic of her sew-in (2 full packs used) and I was convinced that I only needed one pack. It is REALLY thick and bushy! Brazilian wave really acts like natural 4a hair. You can pick it out and sport a 'fro, or wear curly washngos and flatiron it too. It was expensive IMO but I really think it was worth the purchase. I still have the hair i used for that sew-in and I use it all the time when I want a longer ponytail. I'm about to buy a fresh pack now for memorial day wknd!

OP, I really can't say enough about this weave and how natural and beautifully kinky/nappy it looks. I had people thinking it was my own hair, telling me how beautiful "my hair" was and asking for advice on moisturizing, etc.

So does this hair elongate when wet then shrink (reasonably) as it dries? Did you have to cut/trim the hair or do you wear it longer?

You can find kinky afro human hair for weaving at www.hisandher.com my favorite source for braiding hair.
a-13-1d.jpg

Comes in lengths as short as 4 inches and as long as 18 and it isn't very expensive.

ahhh. There's no substitute for the real thing. Or is there? Anyone seen synthetic hair like this? wearing real hair creeps me out.

Lys

Thank you soooo much! I really appreciate the detailed response:)!
I went to BHM and saw some other installs with the Bohyme Brazillian wave and I was in aww:love:. I loove how kinky it can look. It really and truly looks like kinky type 3c/4a hair! I saw a woman's fotki that has the exact look I want to achieve and she has some great up close shots of the texture. I definitely plan to make the purchase at the end of the month. Hopefully when I get it, it's on sale:look:. I still have braids in my hair so I don't plan to install until May.

There's quite a few kinky-curly weaves available. I've had a couple and am about to get another. It all depends on the quality you want, the amount you want to spend and if you want to be able to reuse it.

I was thinking about getting a sew in as protective style for a month or so, but after going to several BSS, I found myself out of luck in terms of finding a texture that mirrored my own 4a/b hair. :perplexed How come there are no nappy 'fro weaves. The kinkiest I found looked like 3C hair combed out, which is cool, but not at all like the texture of my hair. :ohwell:

I was thinking that until I found this kinky lace front wig a few days ago. Its a kinky one and I love it. I was gonna order it but its out of stock. :sad:. Click the link below

http://www.zarawigs.com/albums/704-139-000/

i know there may be various online vendors who offer that kind of textured hair but im pretty sure you wont find it in a bss

ahhh. There's no substitute for the real thing. Or is there? Anyone seen synthetic hair like this? wearing real hair creeps me out.

Lys

in a texture like this i dont think there would be a synthetic because it would be shiny because of what its made of and probably wouldnt blend with your hair at all...dont hold me 2 it though lol

Back