How can I get my puff to not be a Bush? ***PICS**

Kurli-Q

Pics are in my fotki, there is no pw.

I recently cut off all my relaxed ends, and I've been wearing my hair in a puff, but no matter what I do with it, it still look like it is bush monkey hair. It is just pure stick-up business and random curls every now and again between the bunch of mess. The hair itself is very soft and moisturised, but I mean, what the h*ll!!! It looks like I could scrub pots with my puff.

The first time I wore it in a puff, I washed with t-gel on my scalp, and CON on the length, and VO5 as conditioner. Idried it in a t-shirt then put some Fantasia IC Gel in it. Some curlies came out, but the rest was a big frizzy mess.

The next time, I did everything the same except I didn't use the gel, instead I left some of the conditioner in my hair, but the hair still end up looking the same.

its just the ends, b/c when you stick your hands on the inside of the puff, there are curlies everywhere, and I even tried cutting one end part to where the curlies were, and that just frizzed out too.

how can I make is not look so unkempt?

I normally put my hair in twists and unravel them. I fluff out my hair but not too much so that it has a little definition to it.

when i put my hair in a ponytail, i take a part of the holder and pull the ends of my hair in the holder

I thought this question was so funny when I saw the title. I mean, an afro puff is supposed to be bushy. :lachen: There's nothing wrong with that. Do you mean you want to define your curls more? If so, you could try a search on "define curls" and that should turn up a lot of threads.

Thanks, I'm going to try that tomorrow, but my hair is only a couple inches long, do you think the twists will hold?

I normally put my hair in twists and unravel them. I fluff out my hair but not too much so that it has a little definition to it.

Lol, yeah, my family has been referring to it as "Bush-man hair", so I guess it just stuck in my mind.

ugh! your puff is GORGEOUS!!

1 thing you might want to try: a denman brush. i fully detangled my sister's hair w/ a denman like brush (she's newly natural), and it really made her curlies POP.

My hair does that weird frizzy thing at the ends too even though it's really curly at the roots. I've noticed that when my hair is truly moisturized I have less frizz. Maybe the VO5 conditioner isn't enough for your hair (I know it wouldn't be for mine). I would suggest trying a thicker more moisturizing conditioner as a leave-in. HTH!

Thanks! I have a denman though. My hair laughs at my denman, the minute I run it through my hair the curls go right back to wrap around each other.

ugh! your puff is GORGEOUS!!

1 thing you might want to try: a denman brush. i fully detangled my sister's hair w/ a denman like brush (she's newly natural), and it really made her curlies POP.

You puff is fabulous!!! I don't there there is anything wrong with it, at all :notworthy:

However, you can loosely twist your hair at night, unravel, lightly fluff then puff it up, or get a denman(esque) brush to help define the curls a little more.

HTH

I have basically nothing constructive to add, but I have to say that I LOVE your "bush." Your hair looks fantastic--this is often what natural hair does (mine does, at least). I wouldn't change a thing. :grin:

The only thing I can add is possibly trying to add your products to wet hair (a good CAG or aloe gel over a leave-in) and then plopping your hair (and then not touching it until dry) might get your curls to pop better. Do keep in mind that the more defined your curls, the shorter your hair will appear in the puff.

try finger combing Kenra moisturizing conditioner through wet hair. This makes my hair less bushy and more curly. Just use your fingers so that you don't comb out the spirals.

Thanks, I'm going to try that tomorrow, but my hair is only a couple inches long, do you think the twists will hold?

I don't understand this statement, was it a typo? Your hair is way longer than that. I don't have any advice, I gave up on curl definition a long time ago, now I focus on moisture, health, and gaining length. I finally realized that I have way too much 4b hair intermingled with my 4a hair to expect very many curls. I love your puff, I think it is beautiful.

try using a moisturizing gel on the ends and rake it through to the ends W/a denman brush.then pull it up & let it dry. or instead of gel elasta qp mango butter made my ends clump nicely as well. i have a pic in my profile.

GIRL GET YOUR HAIR IN A PUFF AND PUT SOME GEL ON AND THE PUFF OR A THICK CREAM OR CURLYMERINGUE OR KINKY CURLY CUSTARD SOMETHING THICK OR THE IC FANATSIA CLEAR GEL THAN USE THIS BRUSH THAT YOU CAN GET AT THE DOLLAR STORE OR THE DENMAN D4 TO MAKE SURE THE PRODUCCT IS ALL OVER THE PUFF AND TO DEFINE THE CURLS TO IF YOU DONT SEE DEFINITION SLAP ME!

brush-vi.jpg

denman%20d4.jpg

Your puff is cute.

Here is a pic of my puff:

IMG_0635.jpg

I typically wash and condish my hair w/Organixs poo and condish. Rinse w/ cool water. Then I gently squeeze out the excess water. I then apply castor oil t/o hair and massage. I then grab a long silk scarf and apply it to the front of my hairline and criss-cross in the back. I then slowly move the scarf back in the front and up in the back tighening as I go. I then tuck the side under. I only use my hands and the scarf to achieve this look. And to lay down the side I apply a small about of Qhemet Alma Oil pomade.

I noticed you recently bc'd. Maybe it's scab hair on the rougher ends. Try all the suggestions here and if nothing works , consider a small trim.

To me, it looks like a puff is supposed to look...and a gorgeous one at that. However, if you want a different look, I agree about just looking up the curl definition threads. Is your hair combed out in the picture? Try not combing it out (or brushing it out), apply product while soaking wet, and then putting it up in the puff. Don't touch it until it's completely dry.

I still think it's pretty the way it is, I am jealous!!

I think you puff looks nice honestly. I agree w/the other ladies that you might try a twist out for a more curly look if that's what you're looking for. Or you could set your hair on rods.

I think you could define your curls more by co-washing then leave conditioner in your hair and comb it through. You should have more defined curls for your puff when you do this.

Back