How Can I Get My Hair Like This? (pics inside)

silverlotus

I love how Alicia Keys' hair looks in these pics! Does anybody know how I can achieve a similar look?

aliciakeysshootingbeyon.jpg

aliciakeysshootingbeyonl.jpg

I think a bantu knot out would give you those results:yep:

Especially if you add a product with hold for definition.

ETA: lemme show you my results with bantu knot outs:

This was done on wet hair and air-dried so it gave me really defined curls...I intentionally separated it into small pieces to make a fro....but you can separate it in larger pieces for big curls to make it fall like Alicia's:yep:

2843_533353902503_16203491_31575099_7990531_n.jpg

2843_533369770703_16203491_31575721_5220408_n.jpg

5814_114319412646_108298252646_2391366_6912883_n.jpg

Since you're WL and relaxed(?) If you did the same size knots and added a product for hold you'd get these results...just be sure to do them tight and neat. :)

Last edited:
With a sew in . . .

:lachen::lachen:

what you doing girl.

anyway.....
honey you can get that look with a cone curling iron. You twist each section slightly with styling product (either a hold gel or spray) then you wrap the strand around a 2" curling wand from the root to the tip.

You can not achieve this anyother way as each of her curls are very defined - like you would get with a sew in :spinning:.

You can also try using large rods, smaller section and do a vertical rod set. again you'd have to slightly twist each section, not make them large and have relatively long hair for them to look nice.

have fun.

Could be me but that looks like curling iron curls to me. The bottom and crown are probably not brushed and curled precisely to give it a more full look. But if you look at the top part of her hair the curls are more neat.

Good luck and DONT FORGET TO SEND PICS!!!!!

Alicia's hair is always really nice! Don't forget to take pics when you do this style silverlotus.

Oooh beautiful hair BMP! I'm definitely coming to you for advice when I start doing Bantu Knots.

sooo in unrelated news, i'm totally doing a bantu knot set tonight....:look:

idk OP, but you have enough hair to pull it off....i'd probably go with caruso rollers or something.

You're silly ^^ lilsparkle.....i hope youpost pics of your bantu knot out.
I can't wait til' i can rock them at your length.

I think a bantu knot out would give you those results:yep:

Especially if you add a product with hold for definition.

ETA: lemme show you my results with bantu knot outs:

This was done on wet hair and air-dried so it gave me really defined curls...I intentionally separated it into small pieces to make a fro....but you can separate it in larger pieces for big curls to make it fall like Alicia's:yep:

2843_533353902503_16203491_31575099_7990531_n.jpg

2843_533369770703_16203491_31575721_5220408_n.jpg

5814_114319412646_108298252646_2391366_6912883_n.jpg

Since you're WL and relaxed(?) If you did the same size knots and added a product for hold you'd get these results...just be sure to do them tight and neat. :)

Question...when you do your bantu knots, are you twisting your hair first for then to fall into coils? (sorry if it's a dumb question, but I've done them and they didn't give me defined curls like that:nono:)

BMP--I'm actually trying my first bantu knot out as we speak. I used some Scurl and some GF Wonder Waves Spray and just did like the tutorial you sent me.

Hope it turns out great so keep your fingers crossed for me.

Don't want to high hack the thread but BMP can you share how you achieved this look.? Products, wet/dry hair, etc.

Black Master Piece,
YOU are the business. Your styles are so diverse that you make me want to go natural!! I love all your posts and hairstyles. Keep up the excellent job. I'm a lurker (paid subscriber) but had to just tell how awesome these pics and the others looked.

Ooooh BPM, girl! That hair is supa sexxy n neat! It looks just like Alicia's hair, but more natural n sexier!

Silverlotus, I think your hair would totally be able to achieve this look with the bantu knots. It would be so worth it!

bmp i hate yyoouu! hair is always on pt. I wish my ish looked like that! mine are always crunchy. yours look so soft and moisturized.

BMP, you have the most amazing hair. My hair would never ever get defined coils like that without heat. Time for you to give up all the details on exactly how you tied the knots so that I can try it. :yep:

BMP and her hair are like Vince Young when he played Colorado in the Big 12 Championship.
Her hair is the equivalent of a GAM (Grown *** Man)

Just awesome and beautiful and in a league of her own!

Don't want to high hack the thread but BMP can you share how you achieved this look.? Products, wet/dry hair, etc.

BMP, you have the most amazing hair. My hair would never ever get defined coils like that without heat. Time for you to give up all the details on exactly how you tied the knots so that I can try it. :yep:

Question...when you do your bantu knots, are you twisting your hair first for then to fall into coils? (sorry if it's a dumb question, but I've done them and they didn't give me defined curls like that:nono:)

BMP what products are you using?
I did this on wet hair I parted off a section, detangled added a crappy moisturizer lol (when I do it again I'll use ORS Olive Oil Creamy Moisturizer or my own mix of aussie moist/curl activator gel/ecostyler gel/a teaspoon of EVOO)

I twist (twirl) the hair in one direction untill its tightly twisted to my scalp then I wrap the hair around tightly then when I get to the ends I tuck them under and the tightness/tension of the knot keeps it secure:yep: here's a good tutorial.

BMP--I'm actually trying my first bantu knot out as we speak. I used some Scurl and some GF Wonder Waves Spray and just did like the tutorial you sent me.

Hope it turns out great so keep your fingers crossed for me.
I'm pulling for you sweety! :hug3:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I have a pink sweater just like that from Ann Taylor Loft. I love it!

OOOOOOOHH! I love how your hair turned out!!! :drool:!!!

Oooh beautiful hair BMP! I'm definitely coming to you for advice when I start doing Bantu Knots.

This is so pretty!

Black Master Piece,
YOU are the business. Your styles are so diverse that you make me want to go natural!! I love all your posts and hairstyles. Keep up the excellent job. I'm a lurker (paid subscriber) but had to just tell how awesome these pics and the others looked.

Ooooh BPM, girl! That hair is supa sexxy n neat! It looks just like Alicia's hair, but more natural n sexier!

bmp i hate yyoouu! hair is always on pt. I wish my ish looked like that! mine are always crunchy. yours look so soft and moisturized.

BMP and her hair are like Vince Young when he played Colorado in the Big 12 Championship.
Her hair is the equivalent of a GAM (Grown *** Man)

Just awesome and beautiful and in a league of her own!

This is the prettiest BKO i've ever seen :yep:

:blush:........:thud: Omigosh you guyyyyss:blush3: *speechless*

Last edited:
silver lotus if you try it you better post pics! your hair is fab! bmp your hair looks great as usual!

Thanks ladies! I tried rods but it didn't come out anywhere near the pics :lol:.

BMP, your hair is beautiful!!! I will try the bantu knots next and see how that come out. :)

Back