ALICIA KEYS' HAIR at the BET awards!!

That is not her hair - it's a weave. And did y'all not see that balding edge? She's been losing her hair around the edges for a minute now. Pictures were posted over on the ET board. But you can get a similar style with flexi rods. It looks like a loose spiral. It looks like they curled her hair with a curling iron though. The actual curls/style are pretty.

I didn't want to be the one to break the news..lol. It looks like a lacefront really..

this looks really natural to me and i didn't notice thin edges. from the looks of things i thought she just set her natural hair on flexirods or spiral set without too much product. If that is a weave I would like to know where to purchase that grade of kinky straight...probably cost an arm and a leg b/c it looks very natural.

I doubt it. You can curl yaki with a curling iron or set it on rods and it'll look like that. I wore a style like that frequently when I was in college. I used to set it on hot rollers and fluff it out. It looked just like that.

I don't understand why it is that given the fact that we know 99% of the women in the entertainment industry wear weave people think A Keys is exempt. Is it because she's mixed and has type 3 hair? I just don't see this OMG SHE WEARS WEAVE :blush: I DON'T BELIEVE IT! response when it comes to anybody else. And after being on this board all this time I'm surprised at the amount of ladies who can't tell the difference between real hair and fake hair because many times it is very obvious. This wasn't a dead on obvious one but there are ways to tell.

Her edge looked like it was sparse and balding on that one side. Both sides are probably like that but they had the hair combed over on that side so you couldn't see. You can't see it in the red carpet photos because she's looking straight ahead but on the post show when she was sitting on the couch with Tigger and Jamie Foxx she was turned to the side and you could see it. Even my roommate was like wtf was going on with her edges and she usually doesn't pay stuff like that attention.

I don't believe you!!!! Why would she wear a weave?!? I don't believe it....at all.....are you sure? How do you know?! Lol....i am shocked....

You can look at it and tell. It looks to me like that bang part that's swooped over is some of her hair left out (see how it's straight and not curled like the rest?) They probably flat ironed that little bit to blend it in. It's not curled all the way up to the root. The rest of the hair looks like yaki hair that's been curled which could have been done with rollers, rods or a curling iron.

I doubt it. You can curl yaki with a curling iron or set it on rods and it'll look like that. I wore a style like that frequently when I was in college. I used to set it on hot rollers and fluff it out. It looked just like that.

I don't understand why it is that given the fact that we know 99% of the women in the entertainment industry wear weave people think A Keys is exempt. Is it because she's mixed and has type 3 hair? I just don't see this OMG SHE WEARS WEAVE :blush: I DON'T BELIEVE IT! response when it comes to anybody else. And after being on this board all this time I'm surprised at the amount of ladies who can't tell the difference between real hair and fake hair because many times it is very obvious. This wasn't a dead on obvious one but there are ways to tell.

I was shocked not b/c she has 3c or is mixed. Whenever I see women with any type of hair (on tv, walking down the street, whatever), the LAST thing I do is assume that they have a weave, partial weave, lace front, whatever. This may be a fault in the LHCF world, but I can't have it all right? Granted, I have been able to guess on the very obvious cases of where women had weaves, I just don't have an eye for that....and probably never will (another fault in LHCF, but no one's perfect, right?). I've always been natural and natural haircare is what I know best. If I saw any other women on tv with Alicia Keys' hair (Alex Wek, anybody) - I would have initially thought the same exact thing - oh look at her hair!

Her edge looked like it was sparse and balding on that one side. Both sides are probably like that but they had the hair combed over on that side so you couldn't see. You can't see it in the red carpet photos because she's looking straight ahead but on the post show when she was sitting on the couch with Tigger and Jamie Foxx she was turned to the side and you could see it. Even my roommate was like wtf was going on with her edges and she usually doesn't pay stuff like that attention.

And I wasn't even paying so much attention to her hair like that even though I loved it....

While someone's reaction may surprise you when it comes to weaves, fake hair, real hair - you have to understand that there are many facets that make up black hair. Natural, relaxed, weaves, fake, etc. It shoudln't be a surprise that many of us women on the board (according to you) may not be so well versed in all areas or just may be versed in one or two areas. I don't see how this is an issue.....

Besides, my initial reaction to not assume probably has a lot to do with the way I was raised. Growing up, both black and white people would always ask if I had a weave or would intently stare at my hair the few times it was straight (healthy long hair). It made me extremely upset and offended me every single time. My family is 100% Haitian and all of the women have very different hair types and everyone is natural. I grew up on natural hair and just never thought to think anyone had a weave.

When someone says something you don't agree with or don't understand, to assume reasons why they might have responded a certain way doesn't help. Don't worry...i'm notoriously known for not being to tell when ppl have weaves. I'll be the one saying "OMG she wears a weave. I don't believe it!" for someone else......:grin:

I was shocked not b/c she has 3c or is mixed. Whenever I see women with any type of hair (on tv, walking down the street, whatever), the LAST thing I do is assume that they have a weave, partial weave, lace front, whatever. This may be a fault in the LHCF world, but I can't have it all right? Granted, I have been able to guess on the very obvious cases of where women had weaves, I just don't have an eye for that....and probably never will (another fault in LHCF, but no one's perfect, right?). I've always been natural and natural haircare is what I know best. If I saw any other women on tv with Alicia Keys' hair (Alex Wek, anybody) - I would have initially thought the same exact thing - oh look at her hair!

And I wasn't even paying so much attention to her hair like that even though I loved it....

While someone's reaction may surprise you when it comes to weaves, fake hair, real hair - you have to understand that there are many facets that make up black hair. Natural, relaxed, weaves, fake, etc. It shoudln't be a surprise that many of us women on the board (according to you) may not be so well versed in all areas or just may be versed in one or two areas. I don't see how this is an issue.....

Besides, my initial reaction to not assume probably has a lot to do with the way I was raised. Growing up, both black and white people would always ask if I had a weave or would intently stare at my hair the few times it was straight (healthy long hair). It made me extremely upset and offended me every single time. My family is 100% Haitian and all of the women have very different hair types and everyone is natural. I grew up on natural hair and just never thought to think anyone had a weave.

When someone says something you don't agree with or don't understand, to assume reasons why they might have responded a certain way doesn't help. Don't worry...i'm notoriously known for not being to tell when ppl have weaves. I'll be the one saying "OMG she wears a weave. I don't believe it!" for someone else......:grin:

I understand what you're saying but given the climate of this board and reason that we are all here (to grow long hair) it just makes me wonder. People post all the time about OMG I got weave checked and being upset because people thought their hair was fake and they have haters, etc. but are the first ones to call out weave especially bad ones (especially over in the ET board). But then when it comes to certain celebs we like they can do no wrong. These are just my observations from being on the board for the last 4 years. And it's always like when it's a celeb with looser hair they get a pass. Like people swore up and down Teyana Taylor's hair was real. It was a lacefront and her real hair is relaxed, chewed up and damaged. But let Beyonce had worn that same wig and she'd get called all kinds of names (Beyakki, horsehair, unbeweavable, etc.) I just think it's funny how we pick and choose who gets a pass and doesn't. That's all I'm saying. That was my opinion based on my observations and just like everybody else I am entitled to one. And I know I'm not the only person on the board who thought that. This is not the first thread that has come up where A Keys hair was discussed and people didn't believe she wore weave. This is not something new.

Also it seems like based on your background you didn't get caught up in some of the hair drama many of us have experienced and expressed here on the board. There are still some people here with an aversion to natural hair (especially type 4 textures), some people who have never had long hair their whole life, people who still think only mixed people can have long hair or good hair, Good hair vs. Bad hair in general, Short vs. Long, etc. There are lot more factors that go into this whole hair thing. It sounds like you were raised with an appreciation for all textures, lengths, etc. Everybody else isn't. I would say the majority of black women in America weren't. So maybe you just don't understand like you thought I didn't understand where you were coming from. And there's nothing wrong with that. Our experiences shape our opinions right?

ETA: And to the point about people may not have experience or knowledge about real hair v. fake hair how can you play both sides of the fence? How can one be upset because they got weave checked or someone thought their hair was weave but turn around and say they have no knowledge of fake hair vs. real hair and that's okay. How do you know the person who weave checked you wasn't in the same boat? Maybe they had no experience with weave before either so they really didn't know the difference. Why be upset or mad at them? You can't have it both ways. There's nothing wrong with not knowing, but how can you get mad at somebody else whose in the same category you are and doing the same thing so to speak?

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying but given the climate of this board and reason that we are all here (to grow long hair) it just makes me wonder. People post all the time about OMG I got weave checked and being upset because people thought their hair was fake and they have haters, etc. but are the first ones to call out weave especially bad ones (especially over in the ET board). But then when it comes to certain celebs we like they can do no wrong. These are just my observations from being on the board for the last 4 years. And it's always like when it's a celeb with looser hair they get a pass. Like people swore up and down Teyana Taylor's hair was real. It was a lacefront and her real hair is relaxed, chewed up and damaged. But let Beyonce had worn that same wig and she'd get called all kinds of names (Beyakki, horsehair, unbeweavable, etc.) I just think it's funny how we pick and choose who gets a pass and doesn't. That's all I'm saying. That was my opinion based on my observations and just like everybody else I am entitled to one. And I know I'm not the only person on the board who thought that. This is not the first thread that has come up where A Keys hair was discussed and people didn't believe she wore weave. This is not something new.

Also it seems like based on your background you didn't get caught up in some of the hair drama many of us have experienced and expressed here on the board. There are still some people here with an aversion to natural hair (especially type 4 textures), some people who have never had long hair their whole life, people who still think only mixed people can have long hair or good hair, Good hair vs. Bad hair in general, Short vs. Long, etc. There are lot more factors that go into this whole hair thing. It sounds like you were raised with an appreciation for all textures, lengths, etc. Everybody else isn't. I would say the majority of black women in America weren't. So maybe you just don't understand like you thought I didn't understand where you were coming from. And there's nothing wrong with that. Our experiences shape our opinions right?

ETA: And to the point about people may not have experience or knowledge about real hair v. fake hair how can you play both sides of the fence? How can one be upset because they got weave checked or someone thought their hair was weave but turn around and say they have no knowledge of fake hair vs. real hair and that's okay. How do you know the person who weave checked you wasn't in the same boat? Maybe they had no experience with weave before either so they really didn't know the difference. Why be upset or mad at them? You can't have it both ways. There's nothing wrong with not knowing, but how can you get mad at somebody else whose in the same category you are and doing the same thing so to speak?

Ok perhaps it will be easier to just assume that your post is not directly speaking to me....mainly because the things you are citing do not apply to me, even though you quoted some of my words to make your earlier points. However, like I said, when it comes to this real vs fake hair - everyone in my book gets a pass. While i'm sure you've seen on this board people who make allowances for some and not the others - that is quite unfortunate and frankly something that happens in all facets of our lives. This doesn't make it ok but I see no use in arguing over that.

About playing both sides of the fence...I don't think that is the case here. Why would someone come out of their face and have the audacity to ask someone with nice hair if it is real or fake? That is incomprehensible to me, downright disrespectful and just not ok. This was my earlier point. It's ok to be filled with doubt, but entirely inappropriate to come out and ask. If you want to ask, fine, but don't be surprised if someone is offended. If this person had no experience with weaves, then they should keep their mouth shut, read books, visit LHCF or some other hair forum and learn the ways in which one can readily identify a weave. To ask how can I get mad at someone for checking me b/c they are in this same category is a very naive assumption - how do you know this? As much as it is possible that they don't know anything about weaves, they could also be downright surprised that a black person simply has nice hair. This is a topic that requires decorum.

To ask how can I get mad at someone for checking me b/c they are in this same category is a very naive assumption - how do you know this? As much as it is possible that they don't know anything about weaves, they could also be downright surprised that a black person simply has nice hair. This is a topic that requires decorum.

Well said.

Ok perhaps it will be easier to just assume that your post is not directly speaking to me....mainly because the things you are citing do not apply to me, even though you quoted some of my words to make your earlier points. However, like I said, when it comes to this real vs fake hair - everyone in my book gets a pass. While i'm sure you've seen on this board people who make allowances for some and not the others - that is quite unfortunate and frankly something that happens in all facets of our lives. This doesn't make it ok but I see no use in arguing over that.

About playing both sides of the fence...I don't think that is the case here. Why would someone come out of their face and have the audacity to ask someone with nice hair if it is real or fake? That is incomprehensible to me, downright disrespectful and just not ok. This was my earlier point. It's ok to be filled with doubt, but entirely inappropriate to come out and ask. If you want to ask, fine, but don't be surprised if someone is offended. If this person had no experience with weaves, then they should keep their mouth shut, read books, visit LHCF or some other hair forum and learn the ways in which one can readily identify a weave. To ask how can I get mad at someone for checking me b/c they are in this same category is a very naive assumption - how do you know this? As much as it is possible that they don't know anything about weaves, they could also be downright surprised that a black person simply has nice hair. This is a topic that requires decorum.

Nah it wasn't directed at you. I'm just speaking generally about people here on the board and in real life. I see you're a newbie per your join date so maybe you just didn't know or haven't been around/seen some of these debates. But people post quite often about being weave checked and what not.

Poster 1: OMG this girl thought my hair was weave. I can't believe her. How dare she touch my hair?

Poster 2: She was just hating. I'm sure your hair was looking beautiful. Do you girl.

Poster 3: Shake dem haters off and do the white girl hair flip in her face. :rolleyes:

Poster 4: She was just hating because her hair is thin and stringy.

And so on. It happens here all the time. People in general just like to sugar coat things. Sweetheart, I'm not naive by any means. I've been here quite some time and please believe I've seen it all. People seem to think that the hair board is all flowers and candy and compliments but trust it always isn't. And most of the time when it isn't those threads get locked or disappear. :look: And this is my posting style. I say what I feel. People who have been here for a while know my posting style so maybe you didn't. If my posting style doesn't meet your decorum rules then sorry for you hun. Maybe you shouldn't have taken my post so personally. I meant "you" as in people not you "Naturally Curly the OP". But I guess sometimes hit dogs holler. That will be all. ;)

Last edited:
Nah it wasn't directed at you. I'm just speaking generally about people here on the board and in real life. I see you're a newbie per your join date so maybe you just didn't know or haven't been around/seen some of these debates. But people post quite often about being weave checked and what not.

Poster 1: OMG this girl thought my hair was weave. I can't believe her.

Poster 2: She was just hating. I'm sure your hair was looking beautiful. Do you girl.

Poster 3: Shake dem haters off and do the white girl hair flip in her face. :rolleyes:

Poster 4: She was just hating because her hair is thin and stringy.

And so on. It happens here all the time. People in general just like to sugar coat things.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: Fair enough!

Anywoo, lace fronts and weave aside; you can achieve this look many ways. I'm natural so I would bantu knot my hair in 1 1/2 inch sections lightly spritz with water/moisturizer and oil then seal with Sabino Moisture block to get that extra smooth curl.

You could also use adjustable rubber stick rollers; twist the hair and curl around the roller. Show us how it turns out ya hear?

Back