HOTs, Oil Rinses, Scalp Oiling, End Sealing Challenge Feb 1, 2011 - April 30, 2011

Re: HOTs, Oil Rinses, Scalp Oiling, End Sealing Challenge Feb 1, 2011 - April 30, 201

I would love to join this challenge as well, I have an arsenal of oils that I have actually lost count but will definitely need to use them as much as possible instead of allowing them to just sit. I think I will start off with my wgo/castor oil and then see where it goes from there. I have never done a hot oil treatment and am excited about it.

Re: HOTs, Oil Rinses, Scalp Oiling, End Sealing Challenge Feb 1, 2011 - April 30, 201

I'm in.

Sealing
Komaza Moku Serum, daily

HOT
Grapeseed or Sweet Almond oil, 1x/weekly

Oil Rinse
Grapeseed or Sweet Almond oil, 1x/weekly

Oil Scalp & Scalp Massage
Claudie's Scalp Elixir, 3x/weekly

Great List Shay. Nice and Succint.:yep:

I would love to join this challenge as well, I have an arsenal of oils that I have actually lost count but will definitely need to use them as much as possible instead of allowing them to just sit. I think I will start off with my wgo/castor oil and then see where it goes from there. I have never done a hot oil treatment and am excited about it.

Exactly. You might as well put them to go use.

Great. I hope you enjoy it!:lick:

Here are my oils:

MultiPurpose(My favorites that I use for any and every):
Hydratherma Naturals Oil
JBCO
CoCasta Oil
Safflower Oil

Scalp Massages:
Pimento Oil
SSI Oil
Claudie's Oil
Claudie's Scalp Elixir

Prepoos/Add to DC:

Wheat germ
Hempseed
Njoi Ayurvedic
Afroveda Keshi Emu & Jojoba oil

Misc. oils that I want to use up:
Darcy's Peach Kernel
Darcy's Apricot Kernel

Last edited:

Here are my oils:

MultiPurpose(My favorites that I use for any and every):
Hydratherma Naturals Oil
JBCO
CoCasta Oil
Safflower Oil

Scalp Massages:
Pimento Oil
SSI Oil
Claudie's Oil

Prepoos/Add to DC:

Wheat germ
Hempseed
Njoi Ayurvedic
Afroveda Keshi Emu & Jojoba oil

Misc. oils that I want to use up:
Darcy's Peach Kernel
Darcy's Apricot Kernel

YO! YO! Ms. B is in Da' House!:lol: :lol: :lol:

We're getting a Good Group of Women together.

I'm sure we'll have Lots Of Fun, Learn Some Thangs and Deplete our Oil Stashes.

And of Course, Benefit from HOTs, Rinses, Scalp Massages, Sealings or whatever you Choose.:yep:

I forgot I have that Mozeke Oil that you can Steam with. So, I'll definitely be using that one too. It's an Amla based oil of some sort.:perplexed

I'll have to read the directions again.:lol:

I'm in. I love pre-pooing with Vatika/Coconut Oil. My hair feels sooooo soft after shampooing. I don't always use heat w/ my pre-poo though, but I still love using oils.

My fav oil to add to conditioners is EVOO.

As far as sealing and mixing w/ leave-ins, I'd definitely say Castor Oil.

I like using Darcy Botanical's Coconut & Hibiscus Oil if I just want to add a bit of shine to the hair, without making it too heavy or greasy; it's basically a jojoba/coconut mixture. Coconut oil in general is very light in my hair, which is why I prefer it for a pre-poo; it soaks right in. But when paired with jojoba oil, it's just right...not too heavy and not too light.

I need to read more about ceramides since I keep hearing about them.

I have a big jar of Red Palm oil and that is first on the list. I will say I don't think I will even get through that one jar by spring time, but I don't want to waste it.

The smell was just so overwhelming. I let it sit for over a year. Its mellowed but now I've got to use it.

1x a week - I probably won't steam with it because I don't want the smell to linger. Just use my heat cap for 15 mins.

I'll join! I need to use up my oils so I can buy some new ones!

Pre-poo - WEN Lavendar oil

HOT Oils - Avocado oil

Sealing - Jojoba oil / Coconut oil

Scalp - JBCO

I want to join! I will be using a blend of oil for pre-pooing/HOTs, scalp massages, and sealing.

Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil 8 oz.
Soy Bean Oil, Walnut Seed Oil, Kiwi Fruit Extract, Olive Fruit Oil, Castor Seed Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Carrot Seed Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Safflower Oil And Calendula Extract And Yarrow Extract And Cucumber Extract And Carrageenan Extract And Ginseng Extract And Sage Extract And Comfrey Extract And Ginseng Extract And Sage Extract And Comfrey Extract And Aloe Extract, Fragrance

Im hoping to get African Pride Olive Miracle Growth Oil
for baggying as well as sealing, scalp massages, and HOTs as i like it more than the first blend and One 'N Only Argan oil for sealing and pre-pooing.

Last edited:

I want to join! I will be using a blend of oil for pre-pooing/HOTs, scalp massages, and sealing.

Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil 8 oz.
Soy Bean Oil, Walnut Seed Oil, Kiwi Fruit Extract, Olive Fruit Oil, Castor Seed Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Carrot Seed Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Safflower Oil And Calendula Extract And Yarrow Extract And Cucumber Extract And Carrageenan Extract And Ginseng Extract And Sage Extract And Comfrey Extract And Ginseng Extract And Sage Extract And Comfrey Extract And Aloe Extract, Fragrance

Im hoping to get African Pride Olive Miracle Growth Oil
for baggying as well as sealing, scalp massages, and HOTs as i like it more than the first blend and One 'N Only Argan oil for sealing and pre-pooing.

Those are two different product lines/companies: Africa's Best and African Pride. African Pride is made by Strength of Nature who makes Elasta QP & Profectiv.

I have to agree, though, that the African Pride has a very good blend of oils. Right off the top of my head in order (well close as I can get), it includes

Soybean Oil, Olive Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Coconut Oil, Jojoba oil,...Grapeseed, Avocado, Silk Amino Acids is like number 10 in the list, then towards the bottom are protein ingredients with one cone near the end.

Can you tell I really like this oil. I look at the ingredients everyday when I'm M&S like a crazy person.:spinning:

Edited: If anyone is interested, I can post the ingredients for the African Pride Miracle Growth Oil when I finish school with the kids for the day.

Last edited:

Those are two different product lines/companies: Africa's Best and African Pride. African Pride is made by Strength of Nature who makes Elasta QP & Profectiv.

I have to agree, though, that the African Pride has a very good blend of oils. Right off the top of my head in order (well close as I can get), it includes

Soybean Oil, Olive Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Coconut Oil, Jojoba oil,...Grapeseed, Avocado, Silk Amino Acids is like number 10 in the list, then towards the bottom are protein ingredients with one cone near the end.

Can you tell I really like this oil. I look at the ingredients everyday when I'm M&S like a crazy person.:spinning:

Edited: If anyone is interested, I can post the ingredients for the African Pride Miracle Growth Oil when I finish school with the kids for the day.

I know theyre two different lines but i always get them mixed up when im trying to describe/find/buy a certain product. The blend by African Pride is the best to me though an i love the way it smells!! I was upset when i couldnt find it at the ghetto walmart last night lmao

I'm sooo in this one!!! I love HOTs!!!

I've been doing HOTs since October and it has really improved my hair. I do them on dry hair before starting my wash day routine. I also add some of my HOT oil to my cowash condish and DC. I use a heat cap for at least 30 minutes.

Occasionally I do oil rinsing with my HOT mix. I get better detangling with oil rinsing but I don't feel like I get the best results this way though. I generally don't use oils to seal usually butters.

I will be using in my different HOT mixes:
Bootleg base oil (I forget the name)-it has safflower and sunflower as main oils
JBCO
EVOO
EVCO
WGO
Avocado
Hemp Seed
Rice Bran
Grapeseed
Jojoba
Sweet almond

YES! Finally a challenge that I can fully commit to. :lol: I think I need to up my oil stash though.

So far I will be using the following:

HOTS
Coconut
EVOO
Jojoba

Oil Rinsing:love::love:
EVOO
Shikakai (finishing the bottle I have- it is very pungent)

Sealing
JBCO

I also have some cinnamon oil that I picked up in the DR sometime ago- not quite sure what to do with it.

I know theyre two different lines but i always get them mixed up when im trying to describe/find/buy a certain product. The blend by African Pride is the best to me though an i love the way it smells!! I was upset when i couldnt find it at the ghetto walmart last night lmao

Oh, sorry about that. Yea, I guess they do sound similar. You can buy it online with Sally but then you have to pay for shipping unless you have a coupon.

I am not a part of any challenges but Jan 1 marked the beginning of me using Vatika Oil regularly for massages and using it as a pre-shampoo treatment. I am already seeing results after only two weeks. I am doing my best to not slack up on my hair again and I am ready to meet my hair goals.

I am not a part of any challenges but Jan 1 marked the beginning of me using Vatika Oil regularly for massages and using it as a pre-shampoo treatment. I am already seeing results after only two weeks. I am doing my best to not slack up on my hair again and I am ready to meet my hair goals.

Well.....I certainly hope you'll join us here!:grin:

YES! Finally a challenge that I can fully commit to. :lol: I think I need to up my oil stash though.

So far I will be using the following:

HOTS
Coconut
EVOO
Jojoba

Oil Rinsing:love::love:
EVOO
Shikakai (finishing the bottle I have- it is very pungent)

Sealing
JBCO

I also have some cinnamon oil that I picked up in the DR sometime ago- not quite sure what to do with it.

Welcome!:grin:

Be careful w/the Cinnamon Oil. Use it lightly. Very Lightly.:heated:

Hey ladies, how much oil are you using on your whole head? Sorry if this was already answered.

Like how many tablespoons or such? TIA

Hey ladies, how much oil are you using on your whole head? Sorry if this was already answered.

Enough for the Length of your Hair:yep:

I make sure I have enough from root to tip without making it too 'drippy'.:sad:

I want to join. This sounds good. I'm going to start with the oil rinse. I have several oils (EVO, coconut oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil). I will probably start with the safflower oil. I usually apply my conditioner over my shampoo so I may have to modify the oil rinse a bit.

I shampoo usually ever two weeks so I will do an oil rinse with each shampoo.

I won't do an hot oil treatment immediately but I will mix up my oils to get ready. I saw a combination in one of the earlier threads that looks good (coconut oil, sunflower oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil).

I won't shampoo until next weekend and I will update then.

I want to join. This sounds good. I'm going to start with the oil rinse. I have several oils (EVO, coconut oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil). I will probably start with the safflower oil. I usually apply my conditioner over my shampoo so I may have to modify the oil rinse a bit.

I shampoo usually ever two weeks so I will do an oil rinse with each shampoo.

I won't do an hot oil treatment immediately but I will mix up my oils to get ready. I saw a combination in one of the earlier threads that looks good (coconut oil, sunflower oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil).

I won't shampoo until next weekend and I will update then.

These Sound Good.:lick:

Glad to have you!:grin:

Just applied my HOT/prepoo in preparation for wash day tomorrow.

I forgot I have that Mozeke Oil that you can Steam with. So, I'll definitely be using that one too. It's an Amla based oil of some sort.:perplexed

I'll have to read the directions again.:lol:
I will lurk this challenge from time to time to learn. Is there a list of oils that works with steaming. I'm expecting my steamer any day now. :lick:

I want to try vatika. Where did you purchase?

I'll join - have to look at my inventory but I know I'll be using castor, Jamaican castor, vatika, coconut, and shikaikai oils. I'll have to read up on HOTs!

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

I'm not a measurer (is that a word, I doubt it). I divide my hair into four sections. I apply to each section, then do an all over 2x. Hope that makes sense.

I use 1oz of oil but my hair is shorter than yours.

I'm in.

I'll try to use up my oils:
grape seed
coconut
castor
hemp seed
etc...

Under a heating cap, as a pre-shampoo, & to seal.

Charz, like T and Shay I used mine root to tip mostly on wet hair after a wash. On dry hair it maybe a about tbsp.

I was a bit pressed for time today so I wasn't able to HOT like I wanted, but fortunately I still got the benefits of my usual vatika/coconut oil pre-poo since I've been moisturizing my hair with my homemade moisturizer which has lots of coconut oil in it. I get serious HIH disease after rinsing out my shampoo.

Oh, I forgot I have some One n Only Argan Oil. What's the best use for that? That stuff is too pricey for me to oil rinse with.

Last edited:
Back