HORRIBLE Salon visit...I broke out in tears...

lovelymissyoli

Ladies before today I had never cried in a salon while getting my hair done…

If you can’t tell I had one of the WORST salon experiences ever! Currently I’m on the braid challenge and needed to take down my braids and get them redone. I decided I needed to give my hair a rest for maybe a week or two and then re-braid again so I went to an old salon my mother used to frequent and I got a wash, press, and curl to hold me through those weeks. Why did I do that? :mad: I should have known what I was in for because about 5 years ago this same salon had a stylist who washed my hair and then tried to apply a relaxer on top of it!!??!! Anyways, I arrive at 5:30 (my appointment time) and I sit there for about 15 minutes still waiting to be seen. I was going to leave had I not paid before I had been seen.

Okay, so let’s fast forward to the lady who does my hair. The shampoos & conditioners used in my hair had to be those beyond bargain basement, no longer sold in stores, type of products! No name brand, no slip, no fruity scent…nothing! Anyways, as she leads me to the chair to begin blow-drying my hair I see that she has one of those round brushes in front of her (the ones the Dominican’s use), a blow-dryer (not very high tech), a few hair clips, and get this…one of the smallest combs in the world!! Who’s hair does she think she is going to detangle with this?? :shocked: Come to find out she doesn’t have a bigger comb and from there she starts working on my hair. Now I know you’re wondering, “Did she at least detangle from the bottom up?” Well…she DIDN’T!! I had to correct her and let her know. :nono: It took this woman forever to detangle my hair, and once she was done, it took her even longer to blow dry it with that cheap blow-dryer and round bristle brush.

The torture continued once she got hold of a hot comb…yes I said “got hold of one” because she had to wait to get the tools she needed. Once she started “pressing” my hair (if you want to call it that), instead of just sweeping the comb through like you should, she used the back of the hot comb on my roots because she said I had a lot of curl (my new growth) and then continued to press it once more. Also, instead of just letting my hair lie straight after she finished pressing each section, this woman bumped each section of the hair she pressed with the hot comb!!??!!

Now the tears didn’t come on until I looked at myself in the mirror! It was horrible! My hair looked terrible! I had ragged ends, my roots still looked like I was 8 weeks post relaxer, I had unknown substances in my hair that I didn't walk in there with, and my hair was so poofy! I sat there and just started thinking about what I was going to have to do with my hair and I just started crying. I had the nerve to get up and leave but I didn’t…I told myself I was going to let her finish pressing my hair but she wasn’t going to flat iron or curl it! Once I saw that she was on her last section of my hair, I kindly told her that I would take my ouchless band, put my hair in a bun and would be on my way because I no longer needed her to finish the job. Now, if you remember I told you I was seen at 5:45, well I left that shop at 8:45 and in 3 hours all I had to show for it was a quick 5 minute shampoo & condition and a hot mess press & curl! UGH!!!!

Now I know a good press & curl when I see one and I guess I should have left it to my usual stylist but I didn’t want to pay that much money... I guess I’ll know better next time! :)

Awwww...I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience :( I swear, some of these hairdressers get their training over the phone or something! Maybe you could give yourself a wash and deep conditioning...your hair's probably in shock right now. And definitely go to the hairdresser that you know and trust...those seem hard to come by nowadays. Don't worry...everything will be better soon :)

Hugs,
Crys

I hate reading stories like this!!! I'm so sorry you had a terrible experience! What is *up* with these stylists!?!?!

I may never go back to one.

xxx

Just make sure that you never set foot in that salon again yoli, if I have to read another heart breaking story like this I will have to come to that salon with you and whoop some :spank:

Cheer up:kiss:.

Wow :eek: you have me close to tears myself. I praise you for sitting through all of that I would have had her stop and grabbed a towel and asked for a refund. It sound weird to me paying before hand anyway.

lovelymissyoli,

You were serviced by a crazy person. Why is she blowdrying wet relaxed type 4 hair? Why is she hard pressing hair that's already chemically relaxed? It's too weak for all this abuse. And roundbrushes are evil all by themselves.

Don't worry too much. Just get back on your rollersetting schedule with your regular stylist and avoid insane people waving pressing combs.

CALL HER OUT!! What's her name? What's the name of the "salon" (and i use that term loosely) and the address?

Any salon where you have to pay up front, somethings up! That means they don't trust their customers to be satisfied enough to pay after the service.

I'm soooo sorry this happened to you :kiss: Baby your hair in the meantime.

I'm sooh sorry that this happened to you. Please do not ever return to that salon---for anything. I hope you do find someone else that can do what you want...If you're not too traumatized to ever return to a salon...I hope she didn't damage your hair.

I am so sorry that this happened to you :kiss:, This is the main reason that I stopped patronizing salons, not to mention the long wait times. I have never left one satisfied, and no one will take care of my hair the way that I will. Just baby your hair and with a little TLC, it will bounce back.;)

I'm sorry you had a horrible experience
36.gif

Sorry about this. I've had my share of bad experiences. i think they've taught me not to place stylists on some pedestal. There are good and bad ones. And I may be just as good a stylist myself!

You need to put this Salon on Blast.
It makes me soo mad because aren't we suppose to trust these stylists. I mean they are trained to do this. We work so hard to keep our hair healthy etc. go pay a stylist and they mess it up like that.
I know the feeling...horrible feeling in gut.

PEOPLE PLEASE LEAVE SALONS THAT ARENT RIGHT DONT TRY TO BE STRONG AND ENDURE THE TORTURE YOUR HAIR WILL THANK YOU IF YOU LEAVE

lovely i'm really sorry to hear this story? is your hair damaged or did you just not like the results. cheer up :kiss:

Thanks ladies for the encouragement! :kiss: I've been treating my hair with extra care after that horrible experience! I plan to keep it down for a little while and then braid it up again. I only had 2 classes today so I slapped a hat on my head and called it a day. Once I get the chance tonight I'm going to treat my hair to a nice deep conditioning treatment...oooh...I can feel it already! :D

I'm very sorry you had such a bad experience at that salon. On top of all the other awful stuff, I am shocked that they made you pay before you were serviced. I hope that your hair has not been damaged and that it will thrive. :)

LMY, I am soooo sorry to hear about your experience. I always enjoy your hair album pics. Well, at least you found out about her craziness, before you reached waist length. Then we would all have to jump her crazy butt. :spank:

Last edited:
You paid before you got your hair done, I've never heard of anything like that. Never hesitate to get out of a chair or speak up about something and before leaving you should have expressed your feelings about your hair.

I would be suspicious of any salon that requires you to pay before you even get a chance to sit in the chair.

I'm sorry this happened to you!

I'm sorry this happened. This is why I don't go to salons. I've always been happy with proffessional stylists doing my weave, braids, or extentions, but never with my real hair. I've stopped going to stylists period becuase of the high costs. No one knows your hair better then you. :)

Back