Holy Cow!! No more Surge for me!

Boadicea

I had previously been using Surge (some times once a day, some times twice) and the other day when I washed my hair, it felt like someone was trying to burn off the back and sides of my ear and neck with a blow torch whenever the water would run on it.

The skin there felt really dry and flakey. I hadn't used Surge for two days, then. Today the whole area is irritated, peeling, scaly and dry. It hurts like no tomorrow.

I won't be using Surge again any time soon. I guess it turned out to be too drying.

SAY IT AIN"T SOOOOO!!!!I've been using Surge for 2 weeks now and no irritation. I will keep my fingers crossed. I used it all over after my wash and spray at nite when I roll my hair. Actually I am only rolling it so I can use the surge on the scalp. Where you spraying alot and how often?

My scalp is absolutely fine. No problems, which is why, I guess, I didn't notice it sooner. I didn't feel it until a few days ago.

I always put moisture on my scalp after putting on Surge. When it would drip, I was always quick to wipe it off. Now that I think of it, the first time I stopped using surge was because I had a similar situation happen on the nape of my neck. I figured it was because I was rubbing too hard with the towel (when it would drip).

I can just see it, if I use two mirrors, but I had my fiance take a picture of it for me with my digital camera and the area is red and peeling. Even though the peeling is going away gradually, it still hurts to touch it and it's still red.

Maybe it's an allergy?
confused.gif
frown.gif

Dang thats scary!!! Because of other members reactions to Surge and my hair is relaxed, I have been spraying my scalp lightly between the rollers. You said that it drips alot, are you spraying too much? Apply some neosporin on the irritated area to help the healing process.

[ QUOTE ]
Boadicea said:
I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

ME TOO
blush.gif
I really wanted to give Surge a try.
confused.gif

Boadicea,
Did your skin feel as if you had scratched it? I had an experience where the skin on the back of my neck felt like it had a scratch or a cut. I was sure I'd cut it or something without remembering, but then the sore area spread and crusted over. That is when I suspected Surge.

I had the same experience! The nape of my neck on one side feels raw(almost like a scratch or a rash). There was no problem on any other part of my scalp. It occured to me just yesterday that it must be caused by the Surge. I am done with it.

When I used it once a day (when I remembered) there was no problem. As soon as I began using it twice daily, the problems began.

Similar problem occurred for me when I transferred Surge from the spray bottle to a bottle with the tip on the end. I did it for ease of application because didn't want to part my hair two times a day especially with lots of new growth. Anyway, as careful as I tried to be, Surge would occasionally run down my left ear and neck area leaving a rash after a few days. Since I starting using a towel to catch any excess surge immediately before it touches my ear/neck I haven't had any problems. So, it's definite that surge causes skin irritation for some of us!!!

It does feel like it was scratched, but I'm sure it couldn't have been.

The pain on the right side is deminishing, still peeling, but going away steadily. Maybe it'llbe gone by next week. But nw the left ear (in the back) is starting to peel. It may be that it was like that when the right side started, but since it didn't hurt, I didn't pay attention to it.

When the nape was affected (back in November) I was only using it once a day. I put an applicator top on it instead of using the spray top.

Though it did work, I'm definitely done with Surge. This is too much.

When I first started using Surge, it did cause my hair to tingle, then itch, but that lasted for a few days, also I was putting oil on my scalp, and the back of my neck, the nape area and so far so good.

the same things happens to me. I only feel it when i washg my hair.. this raw, sore feeling skin at my nape.

It burns whenever i wash my hair! But, likethe others, my scalp is fine

That is scary Bodicea! You definitely seem to be having an allergic reaction. i wonder how often you washed your scalp. I use surge once a day, but I try to rinse/wash my scalp every 4 days.
I am also thinking, perhaps Surge is not meant to be used long term, that is more than 2 or 3 weeks.

I posted before that the same thing happened to me when I initially started using Surge. My scalp is healthy, I wash my hair twice a week and I use Sta-Sof-Fro everyday. However, I noticed parts of my head felt like it was burning, then when I examined those areas I saw large grey-ish looking flakes. I scratched the flakes and my head was soooo sore after that. I washed my hair and used Castor area on the burning areas. After a few days my scalp was back to normal. I believe I was using too much Surge. Instead of twice a day I modified the usage to once a day very sparingly and I haven't had anymore problems.

I am sorry to hear that happened Bodicea. It sounds like you may have overdone it. Overdoing anything will cause problems, so I suspect that is what it was.

Gosh!!! I must be one of the lucky ones! I've been using it since November, I believe... on myself and my daughter and we haven't had any issues thus far....
confused.gif

I have noticed itching also since I started using Surge (almost 2 wks). I hope that's a good thing because I usually don't itch until it close to retouch time,which is when I get my most growth. I hope I don't have any adverse reactions down the line.

I have been using surge since November with no problems
I spray my scalp twice a day and my hair once at night.

I washed my hair 2-3 times a week as I generally do. I used the Surge for about a week and a half.

It's not hurting so much right now, only peeling (large grayish flakes). I'm glad it wasn't more severe.

I have the same flaking. I don't think I'll be using this anymore after finishing the next bottle...too good to be true so I knew there would be something.....

Seems like you followed directions properly, Boadicea. Sorry you're having such a strong allergic reaction. You may want to call the Surge people to let them know about the side effects of their product, and maybe even get a refund. Good luck!

Back