Questions for Ladies who had Problems with SURGE

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
If you had scalp and irritation problems with Surge Hair Revitalizer 14, did you follow these directions:
Spray directly into scalp, part hair or braid, then spray scalp. For best results, shampoo hair and use twice a day.

If not, how were you using Surge? How often did you wash your hair when using Surge? How many times a day or a week did you use Surge?

It seems like there's an equal amount of ladies that have problems with Surge and ladies who have had success with Surge. I'm wondering if it has to do with how you use Surge.

Ladies who have had success with Surge, chime in on what you did as well.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Poohbear, I LOVE your new cut!! Your natural hair is so Beea-uuu-ti-fuuul :)

First off, Surge gave me awesome results! One whole inch a month! I experienced Horrible irritation on my ear and neck but interestingly enough, no irritation on my scalp. I explained my theory behind this in another post. I'm new to posting and can't figure out how to quote or link other threads, but my "theory" is in lovelymissoli's thread titled "MTG burned my neck."

Opps... there I go blabbing again :) On to your questions...

1. At first, I sprayed Surge onto my scalp, but after a few weeks I used an applicator nozzle for easier application. (the nozzles from Wild Growth Oil and Do Gro bottles fit perfect on the Surge Bottle)

2. I washed my hair every 4-5 days

3. I used it 2x a day every day.

My suggestion to avoid irritation:

*Wipe off any excess Surge that drains to your neck, ears, face, or hairline.

*Apply to a clean scalp.

*Follow with MOISTURE!!!

HTH :)

I think I figured out how to quote my post from another thread... Yeaaa :clap: ... another looonng one :spinning: OOOOhhh... and smiley's too. I love this site!

nubian_rose said:
Hey lovelymissyoli,

If I'm not mistaken, I'm your neihbor :) MoVal?

Anyway, I'll cast my two cents vote for the Surge. Lord knows I love the stuff, it's Awesome! However, on two separate occassions I got the SAME reaction as you. The first incident was in December (I acheived one inch in a month) at about the six week mark I experienced a raw burning sensation behind my left ear and my bottom hair line. The raw burn eventually became super dry and scab-like and took several weeks to heal.

In April, I attempted to revisit the Surge because I loved the growth it gave me. I had purchased the MTG, but decided to wait and see how the Surge worked out. Once again I got great growth, but at the fourth week mark I began to feel the same sensation as before. I was sitting in Church and had an itchy tingly feeling on my neck. I washed my whole head as soon as I got home and when the water hit... burn baby burn! The back of my neck resembled a severe case of goose bumps and was chalky white. A few days later it became dry and black. I've been using hydracotiszone cream, neosporin, and unrefined shea butter. That was two weeks ago. My neck is still somewhat discolored and pretty dry, but with the three products mentioned above, my neck is steadily making an improvement.

Surprisingly enough, I'm still not willing to let go of my Surge! Yes, I've discontinued use for now, but I've also come to an interesting realization... The surge never really burned my scalp, just my ear and my neck. Perhaps this is a result of the product dripping onto areas where it is unintended for use. Also, the amount of Surge I used changed. I used it two times a day every day but after a few weeks I switched from using the spray nozzle to an applicator nozzle. I think the applicator nozzle resulted in over using the product (generous flow instead of light spritz) and caused the burning. I read many posts about using Surge prior to trying it and I knew to wipe off any drippings from my hairline, neck, and ears. However, I think the use of the applicator nozzle still caused the Surge to drain onto my neck even after wiping off the excess.

I hope your neck heals soon :) Please let me know if you find something that helps heal quickly.

Poohbear said:
If you had scalp and irritation problems with Surge, how were you using Surge? How often did you wash your hair when using Surge? How many times a day or a week did you use Surge?

It seems like there's an equal amount of ladies that have problems with Surge and ladies who have had success with Surge. I'm wondering if it has to do with how you use Surge.

Thanks in advance.

I got some itching from Surge. I parted my hair all over and wold spray directly onto the scalp. Sometimes I would use it as a detangler, but not usually. In the morning I would follow with Surge Motion Lotion #9 while at night, I would follow with WGO. Sometimes I would just use the ML#9. If I started to run out, I would mix the WGO and the ML#9 and use the mixture day and night. I would wash my hair every 1 to 3 days. I shampooed with Surge Power Wash 1-2 times/week. I co washed with Suave conditioner....I think Milk & Hney or something lke that. I deep conditioned when I shampooed with Fantasia Tee Tree Conditioner. When I shampooed, I would also use Surge Wojee Cream all over my hair. I sprayed Surge Plus 14 2x/day, though I would get lazy sometimes cuz I didn't feel like doing the parts so I would often end up doing it 1x/day.

When I first began using Surge I would spray it on and then apply some oil to avoid any irritation. Well one day I put my freshly washed hair into a bunch of teeny bantu knots and sprayed my whole head with Surge without the oil. Next thing I know my scalp is on fire. I ran to the sink and washed my head. This was last year in about July or so.
Since then I only spray Surge on my edges(temple area & front hairline) and I don't have to follow up with an oil. I think that the back of my head is just too sensitive for much of any product. HTH

nubian_rose said:
I think I figured out how to quote my post from another thread... Yeaaa :clap: ... another looonng one :spinning: OOOOhhh... and smiley's too. I love this site!
Hee-hee! :grin: Thanks for your responses! ;)

i was only using surge on the front of my hair....cuz i feel like its thinning, and i wanted it to grow! and that was like last year....up til now i still have these flakes, and ive never had dandruff before....

when i used it, i didnt chase it with any oils...but if i do use it again, i will certainly be doing that!!!

what is the ingredient in Surge that makes your skin and not your scalp react like that? does anyone know? is it because hair is made out of dead protein and the product reacts especially to that? i have'nt tried Sureg but I wouldlike to on my hairline, but im kinda scared from all of these bad rash experiences a lot of people have been having. maybe using WGO afterwards and protecting your surrounding skin while you spray is the trick.

dreams

I've been using Surge for a while now. I haven't experienced ANY of the problems that some of the ladies have. I do my condition wash (every other day). I part my hair and apply it on the scalp only. Then I follow with my S-Curl activator for moisture. I then use another moisturizer (QP or Motions CPR). I then do my end sealing with vaseline and ego boost. I only do it once a day--the days I do my condition washes. I really don't have the time or energy to do it twice a day.

I never had any bad reaction with surge either. I used Surge twice a day(morning & night), spraying it only on the scalp . Then followed it with sulfur-8 oil on the scalp only. This gave me tremendous growth. No burning, itching or dry scalp. I also did shampoo my hair twice a week. Hope this helps.:)

Back