Hitting the lottery & marriage/relationships

would you leave if you hit the lottery? ?

• yes, I'd be on the first thing smoking

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • no, I'd share my riches with my boo

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • other, explain please.

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Keep DH and share the money. Definitely budget for more kids, travel and businesses that we always speak about starting. We'd prob go through our list of things we want to do.

Definitely keep my husband. We married for richer or for poorer. We've done poor pretty well together, but we could be great together at rich! :woot:

Um...

If your married, he's entitled to half your assets w/out a prenup. So if you leave, expect some complications.

I have a friend who says that if she ever wins the lottery, she'll have her parents claim the winnings on paper. She would give her parents a cut, leave her husband, then ride off into the sunset w/the rest.

I'd definitely keep DH and we would enjoy the money together. He would need to be there to keep me from blowing through all that cash. He's definitely the money man in our relationship.

Hubby and I talk about what we'd do if we won the lottery. They all include each other. I love him with or without lottery winnings :D

:look:
Well, as I'm in the process of getting divorced, I've actually thought about what I would do if I won now. I'd break him off a couple of million (less than 1/4 of what I've won) and for sure for sure be out. :peace:

:look:
Well, as I'm in the process of getting divorced, I've actually thought about what I would do if I won now. I'd break him off a couple of million (less than 1/4 of what I've won) and for sure for sure be out. :peace:

what?! are you serious?? I'm sorry to hear that JustKiya- never would have guessed.

Um...

If your married, he's entitled to half your assets w/out a prenup. So if you leave, expect some complications.

See, this is why I would do one of two things:

1)not claim the money until after the divorce is final, in some states you have up to 180 days to claim the money,if the divorce is uncontested it wouldn't take that long to finalize (in my state anyway).

2) let mama or sister cliam the money & then when the divorce is final, hit the road jack!

I would give DH a little bit to say "good riddens" or "Happy new life" but as of now, I don't think I'd give him half, nope.

Last edited:
what?! are you serious?? I'm sorry to hear that JustKiya- never would have guessed.

:yep: 100% serious. He's a great man, but we have tried to make ourselves the right person for each other for ten years, and it's not working - so, I'm climbing off this particular merrygoround. Thankfully, he understands and agrees with me - we'd make great friends for each other, but we are BAD partners for each other. So, it's a really good/positive choice, oddly enough.

:yep: 100% serious. He's a great man, but we have tried to make ourselves the right person for each other for ten years, and it's not working - so, I'm climbing off this particular merrygoround. Thankfully, he understands and agrees with me - we'd make great friends for each other, but we are BAD partners for each other. So, it's a really good/positive choice, oddly enough.

I'm glad that it's an amicable split- that makes it much easier. Life is short & I can understand making a decision to ensure a happier/more fulfilling life. I wish you the best!! (((Hugs)).

eta: I've read that divorce is similar to grieving a death - you know, the stages you go through, would you agree?

I'm glad that it's an amicable split- that makes it much easier. Life is short & I can understand making a decision to ensure a happier/more fulfilling life. I wish you the best!! (((Hugs)).

eta: I've read that divorce is similar to grieving a death - you know, the stages you go through, would you agree?

Thank you!!!

And yeah, I can see that. :lol: ours is more like grieving for someone who has had terminal cancer for the last three years, and they finally died. There is sadness, but also relief and a bit of happiness that they aren't suffering anymore.

I'm sorry to hear that, JK. But, your attitudes seem very healthy. You are more fortunate than most in terms of mutual understanding and a clean break.

As for winning the lottery, we'd stay together. Or at least try our damndest. I have heard how money can devastate even the strongest, most stable unions.

If I was in a great relationship, no I would not leave my SO just because I had a windfall.

For those in a marriage things are a little more tricky. If you live in a community property state AND don't have a prenuptial agreement you are going to have to share your winnings especially if you divorce since that money would come up.

There was a case of a woman in Florida who won several million in a lottery. She never told her husband about it but eventually it came out in their divorece. Since the money was deemed community property she had to split it with her husband. I believe she tried to fight that ruling. Ultimately a judge decided that not only was it community property, the judge also ruled the husband would receive all of the money since she initially tried to hide it.

If I was in a great relationship, no I would not leave my SO just because I had a windfall.

For those in a marriage things are a little more tricky. If you live in a community property state AND don't have a prenuptial agreement you are going to have to share your winnings especially if you divorce since that money would come up.

There was a case of a woman in Florida who won several million in a lottery. She never told her husband about it but eventually it came out in their divorece. Since the money was deemed community property she had to split it with her husband. I believe she tried to fight that ruling. Ultimately a judge decided that not only was it community property, the judge also ruled the husband would receive all of the money since she initially tried to hide it.

oh my! ummm, can you say appeal?? I can see the judge splitting the money but giving the husband ALL of it when he ain't picked nan number?? no way.

oh my! ummm, can you say appeal?? I can see the judge splitting the money but giving the husband ALL of it when he ain't picked nan number?? no way.

This sounds like a personal judgement. No way is that fair. That wife should have appealed this one for sure.

The money she used to buy the ticket was viewed as community property and the fact that she went to great lengths to conceal the money. I don't think it matters but the ticket was a quick pick.

Let me see if I can find the story I will post it.

The money she used to buy the ticket was viewed as community property and the fact that she went to great lengths to conceal the money. I don't think it matters but the ticket was a quick pick.

I once hear of a similar case where the hub took a long time to claim his winnings because he filed for divorce after he knew he won and went to claim after the divorce was finalized. Don't recall the state or whether or not they had community property laws. I do know that it was one of those huge multi-state games involving a jackpot with hundreds of millions and he was the sole winner.

Sorry to hear that. But it sounds like a good move.:yep:

I'm staying with DH we would go on a reign of terror. Psych! :lol: But he and I have already talked about what we'd do. We'd go straight to our lawyer and set up a Blind Trust that would claim the winnings. We don't need anyone (especially certain relatives) knowing our business. Then we'd hit the road. We'd buy that private island we've been dreaming about and you'd have to contact us through our lawyers to get to us. :grin:

This sounds like a personal judgement. No way is that fair. That wife should have appealed this one for sure.

I read the story & I still think she should have only been required to give him half. Requiring her to give up all the money doesn't seem to be the proper judgement. if the judge did indeed rule the money as community property, she should in turn sue him for her half or appeal like missmasala said.

yup, that's how I feel about my DH....sad to say I'm only a newly wed. Maybe it will get better

Denise committed a fraud by omitting her laottery winnings. Obviosuly the judge was well within he law with his ruling since there was no appeal with a legal argument against the basis. Also aren't judges allowed to consider subjective facotors in rulings provided that they are within the law. For instance in this case consider the fact that she filed for divorce less than two weeks after the winnings and ommitted that asset from the divorce decree.

I've seen judgements in community property divorce proceedings where the judge ruled that one or both parties could maintain full value and possessionof property he or she solely acquired even though it was during the marriage.

Denise committed a fraud by omitting her laottery winnings. Obviosuly the judge was well within he law with his ruling since there was no appeal with a legal argument against the basis. Also aren't judges allowed to consider subjective facotors in rulings provided that they are within the law. For instance in this case consider the fact that she filed for divorce less than two weeks after the winnings and ommitted that asset from the divorce decree.

I've seen judgements in community property divorce proceedings where the judge ruled that one or both parties could maintain full value and possessionof property he or she solely acquired even though it was during the marriage.

It's hard for me to say for sure because 1) I don't know the laws in that state and 2) I don't know the grounds for their divorce but if that state is indeed a community property state as it was mentioned in the article, then the judgement should have been based on the law.

I know judges have the right to be subjective - say a pet the couple shared, well the judge could decide the husband keeps the pet because he was more attached to it & cared for it more. Better that than tearing the dog in half.

But, in the right to be subjective, judges also have an obligation to be objective and ensure that justice is blind. Justice would have prevailed if the husband was rewarded his half of the money. It seems to me what the judge did in this case was tilt the scales of justice in favor of the plaintiff while snatching it completly away from the defendant.

I suspect there was no appeal filed because the wife said good riddens (per dateline interview) & was just glad to be out of the marriage but I think she would be well within her rights to file one based on a prejudiced decision and I'm sure any attorney worth his weight could help her figure out some other reason to file an appeal.

Indeed she "frauded" her husband per se in taking all of the money, but I can't see how she was obligated to give all of it to him. And, in my opinion whether she "frauded" him or not would depend on the dynamic of their relationship. Was it the type of marriage where he was the sole-bread winner and she kept all of her money for herself? If so, why should she suddenly be expected to share if she never had before? Did they do everything down the middle?? Too many unknowns to come to a solid opinion.

I would keep it and tell her after I bought us a nice house somewhere else and changed our address. :lachen: That way no one else has our contact info :lachen:

Been there, done that. We lasted a year and a half, but we are great friends now.

I admire you all that can end it on amicable terms. I was married to DH#1 for the same amount of time, and it ended HORRIBLY.

Now had I won the lottery while married to him? I probably would have hired a hitman to have him 'disappeared' :look:, buy a large yacht and live off the oceans while traveling the world.

I admire you all that can end it on amicable terms. I was married to DH#1 for the same amount of time, and it ended HORRIBLY.

Now had I won the lottery while married to him? I probably would have hired a hitman to have him 'disappeared' :look:, buy a large yacht and live off the oceans while traveling the world.

how did you manage to bounce back from all of that?

how did you manage to bounce back from all of that?

It wasn't easy, and not the most admirable, but honestly? Hating him helped. A lot. Though I have forgiven him, I will never stop hating him. But I hold no regrets. That marriage taught me a lot about myself, about love, about life in general. I felt like I'd grown ten feet tall! It taught me that I deserved someone worthy of my loyalty and honesty--on my terms, on my level. I swore to my soul that I would not settle for anything less than those two things in another relationship. Today, I wish that I could be friends with DH#1, for our son and granddaughter's sake. But alas, I cannot.

Back