HIT or MISS product list for APRIL '05

http://www.hairsense.com/combs.htm

They are natural seamless combs.

What is a "bone" comb and why are they so great??

In pre-historic time the best combs were actually made from bone (fish bone) as well as antelope horn, elephant tusk and goat horn. These materials were hard and smooth. When carved and polished they produced beautiful seamless combs. They were also anti-static and heat resistant.

The creating of these combs was very labor intensive. Once the right material was selected, the overall shape of the comb was carved. Then each tooth was carved, filed, sanded and polished over and over in a 18 step process done by hand. The bone comb is so finely finished that it does not snag, rip or split the hair. When the use of animal materials was banned, there was no comb that did not damage hair. The beauty industry was desperate to find a suitable substitute since they were very dependant on bone combs for their work. After some time, a new material was formulated from a 100% organic resin material. This material is hard and smooth just like bone, and can be hand carved, sawed, and polished to exemplify all the unique features of the original bone comb. They are also anti-static and will not melt when used with hot styling tools.

There has been some hesitation to use "bone" when referring to these combs as they are not truly made of bone in modern days. Some companies refer to them as "bohn". Various other forms of bone descriptions abound. The rich caramel color make bone combs easily recognized. They age beautifully and will turn to a dark mahogany color over time. When wet there is a distinct fragrance.

FashionistaNY said:
HITS
NTM Leave-In
Queen Helene Cholesterol mixed w/Mizani Moisturefuse
Shea Butter straight from the nut

BTW - what is a bone comb?

My biggest hit yet was using pure vitamin E oil on my ends to smooth and moisturize!
There are a couple of other new products I'm using but the jury is still out on them. I'll report back in a week or so.

Mane 'n' tail deep moisturizing con (no slip, made my hair hard)
mane 'n' tail poo original formula ( I do not like this at all)

Hated these 2 products together but the conditioner (the original formula)works great with other shampoos like Elasta Creme shampoo, Elucence or Keracare. You might want to ditch the shampoo like I did and keep the conditioner.

Thanks, I didn't realize I've been using a Bone Comb for years. Mine is plastic. is that okay?

204.jpg

natalied said:

In pre-historic time the best combs were actually made from bone (fish bone) as well as antelope horn, elephant tusk and goat horn. These materials were hard and smooth. When carved and polished they produced beautiful seamless combs. They were also anti-static and heat resistant.

The creating of these combs was very labor intensive. Once the right material was selected, the overall shape of the comb was carved. Then each tooth was carved, filed, sanded and polished over and over in a 18 step process done by hand. The bone comb is so finely finished that it does not snag, rip or split the hair. When the use of animal materials was banned, there was no comb that did not damage hair. The beauty industry was desperate to find a suitable substitute since they were very dependant on bone combs for their work. After some time, a new material was formulated from a 100% organic resin material. This material is hard and smooth just like bone, and can be hand carved, sawed, and polished to exemplify all the unique features of the original bone comb. They are also anti-static and will not melt when used with hot styling tools.

There has been some hesitation to use "bone" when referring to these combs as they are not truly made of bone in modern days. Some companies refer to them as "bohn". Various other forms of bone descriptions abound. The rich caramel color make bone combs easily recognized. They age beautifully and will turn to a dark mahogany color over time. When wet there is a distinct fragrance.

I have another April 05 hit: Creme of Nature (Ultra Moisturizing Formula) Detangling Conditioning Shampoo.

HUGE HIT!!!

Dark N Lovely Hydrating Naturals Citrus Braid and Sheen Spray

Hit:
Dark N Lovely Naturals Tea Tree & Peppermint Oil Shampoo

Daily Defnse Tender Apple Conditioner - ooooweeeee! This stuff detangles way better than Suave Milk & Honey. I was quite impressed. Glad I found it & gave it a try.

And I told you - the Sedu flat iron is worth every penny :)

jasmin said:
Hated these 2 products together but the conditioner (the original formula)works great with other shampoos like Elasta Creme shampoo, Elucence or Keracare. You might want to ditch the shampoo like I did and keep the conditioner.

I also use just the conditioner and use a different poo (Keracare mix or NTM)

Hit: Salerm Wheat Germ Mask

Hits:

Joico K-Pak Daily Shampoo
Joico K-Pak Daily Conditioner
Shikai Color Reflect Detangler
Shikai Color Reflect Daily Moisture Conditioner
Paul Mitchell The Conditioner

PaperDoll said:
So far:

Miss:

Elasta QP Mango Butter.
I really wanted this to work for me but it seems as if it does nothing for my hair. In fact I think its dries my hair our even more.
This is the second time I've tried to use this product.
*sigh*
And it smells so good too..:(
Oh well, I'm gonna use this jar until it's gone regardless.

*********UPDATE************

This is no longer a miss! I added half a bottle of my beloved Kemi Oil to the Mango Butter and together these two are a winning combination! Yay!:yay:

Turns out mixing products is really working for me...I mix the generic Humectress, Nioxin Scap Therapy, Kerasilk Rich Care treatment together for my conditioner.

And I mix Kerasilk Instant Silk Fluid with Elucence Hydrating Elixir as a leave in and my hair is so soft! I could jump for joy!

So instead of misses this month I actually have a bunch of hits!
Go me! :woot: Go me! :woot:

Hit:
Daily Defense Tender Apple Conditioner
Fantasia IC Lites Aloe Vera Gel
Ultra Thick Shake

Misses:
BBD Glass

PaperDoll said:
*********UPDATE************

This is no longer a miss! I added half a bottle of my beloved Kemi Oil to the Mango Butter and together these two are a winning combination! Yay!:yay:

Turns out mixing products is really working for me...I mix the generic Humectress, Nioxin Scap Therapy, Kerasilk Rich Care treatment together for my conditioner.

And I mix Kerasilk Instant Silk Fluid with Elucence Hydrating Elixir as a leave in and my hair is so soft! I could jump for joy!

So instead of misses this month I actually have a bunch of hits!
Go me! :woot: Go me! :woot:

Thanks for posting this! I will definately try mixing the Instant Silk Fluid with the Silk Elixir. It sounds like a great combination!

DangerouslyShy said:
I dont think one was posted yet.

HIT:

Elucence Hydrating Elixer
BONE COMBS!!!! wow I cant believe i used a regular plastic comb....

Miss:

Lustrasilk Tea Tree Cholesterol
HIT
MTG
Quene Helena Cholesterol

MISS
Lustasilk Aloe Vera Cholestrerol
NTM Shampoo/Conitioner and leave in

Last edited:
Hits:
Rusk Sensories Smoother Passionflower & Aloe Leave-in Texturizing Conditoner--Makes it easier to comb through and blowdry my hair. Leaves my hair soft and smooth.
Surge Ultra Max--Great scent and very moisturizing. I hope it will help to thicken my edges.
VO5 Extra Body Conditoner

Undecided:
Joico K-pak Leave-in Protectant--It's not extremely detangling but it contains protein amd other good stuff. It's a foam and I sometimes use it when I wrap my hair at night as well as after I wash and condition my hair. Great banana/tropical scent.

Most of the time my sense of smell is MIA because of my sinuses so I can't comment on the scent of the Rusk and the VO5 products. :ohwell:

Last edited:
Huge Hit:
Salerm Wheat Germ Mask -this is by far the best deep conditioner I have used.period.

Hit:
NTM Leave-In (on dry hair)
Kenra MC Shampoo
Salerm 21
Side Buns (I've gotten so many compliments esp. with flowers)
Flexi-Rods (so easy to use and pretty curls!)

Miss:
NTM Daily Deep Conditioner

Hits
Silk Elements Revive & Restore Hair mayo conditoner
Motions Lavishing Shampoo
Keracare leave in conditioner

Misses
None :)

MissB said:
Thanks for posting this! I will definately try mixing the Instant Silk Fluid with the Silk Elixir. It sounds like a great combination!

Let me know how it works for you! :grin:

Alter Ego Oil Treatment with Garlic
Alter Ego Revitalising Lotion
Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo
Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
Elucence Extended Moisture Repair Treatment
Elucence Silk Hydrating Elixir

natalied said:

I want a bone comb. Maybe when i reach my weight loss goal at least half way. I'll buy myself one. Trying to curb implusive buying.

Hit
Melaleuca replenshing shampoo ( mositurizing)
Motions lavish shampoo ( love it)
Motions aftershampoo mositure plus conditioner ( must get more, big bottle).
As usual: UBH Dew and cond. ( ran out and buying more, my staples
my oil mixture grease/creme ( coco oil and castor oil slightly hardened)

Missed
Suave humtress, made my hair dry and no slip
lottobody spray, made my hair feel like straw. Maybe didn't dilute it correctly.

Last edited:
:) Hits: :)
*Infusium 23 Leave-In for Colour Treated\Permed Hair
*Nexxus Humectress (on dry hair as a leave-in)
*ORS Olive Oil & Doo Gro Oil (No mineral oil\pertoleum) heated together
*Baggie Method with Phony pony on top (Keeps my hair so moisturized)

:( Misses: :(
*Nexxus KerapHix- I just didn't see results. I will be trying it again in May before I completely give up. May not have moisturized correctly after treatment.

:D Next Product Purchase- May- Only Choosing One Combo ! :D
*Salerm Wheat Mask (heard so much about it) & Mizani Rose H20 Conditioning Hairdress OR
*Cream of Nature Conditioner (change it up) & Nexxus HeadDress

*cupcake* (future PJ, no doubt)...

Let me start off by saying that I have spent about $300 on haircare products this month and I am quite disappointed/unimpressed by most of my purchases:

:) Hits:

Bone Comb - didn't buy in April but this is when I used it

Nexxus Aloe Rid - didn't buy in April but this is when I used it

:mad: Misses/Undecided :( :

Sedu Flat Iron - the way people talk about it, especially on folica, you'd think this thing was a magic wand! I didn't see much difference in using this flat iron versus one that costs a fourth of the price

Redken's Heat Glide - when my stylist used it, it was pretty good, when I used it, it left my hair feeling kinda stiff, I probably used to much, I do that alot with hair products, I just don't see how a dime size amount can cover everything

Joico Reconstructor - I didn't feel or see any difference after using this overpriced stuff

Nexxus Ensure - maybe I was expecting to much but this stuff didn't help at all with detangling

Paul Mitchell The Conditioner - didn't give any slip what so ever so detangling my hair was difficult, did however make my air-dried hair feel soft, it was still frizzy but soft. This stuff also smells like hair grease from back in the day

I plan on giving my Misses another try which is why I also labeled them Undecided. I will probably wait until after I get a touch up.

PrincessAvaya said:
:mad: Misses/Undecided :( :

Paul Mitchell The Conditioner - didn't give any slip what so ever so detangling my hair was difficult, did however make my air-dried hair feel soft, it was still frizzy but soft. This stuff also smells like hair grease from back in the day

I plan on giving my Misses another try which is why I also labeled them Undecided. I will probably wait until after I get a touch up.

Question: Did you use it as a leave in or a regular conditioner?

Hits for April 05

Salon Selectives Soak It Up Conditioner (2.59$)
whoo! that stuff is good. must stock up.

Elasta Qp Mango Butter, (i revisted it . beautiful)

Any Kind of glossy Hair serum

Misses.

beyond the zone Noodle Head . yuk.
salon selectives mousse.

Back