Hip–Tailbone Length (HL–TBL) 2014 Challenge!

Aireen I'm late I know but :bouncegre can I join? - Current length + hair type Currently Grazing WL. 4A. Relaxed. - Regimen vitamins daily - Biotin, Prenatal protective styling daily at least 50% of the time pre-poo (oils - castor, olive, etc) & washing (shea moisture moisture retention shampoo) & protein treatment (aphogee 2 min) & deep conditioning once per week (ORS Pak or Silk Elements Olive Oil) moisturizing daily - shea moisture curl & style milkr exercise use of direct heat only for length checks/special occassions trim .5 inch every ten weeks (at least for now, I'm really focusing on thick healthy ends) Relax every 10/12 weeks - Exact goal length Somewhere Btw Hip Length/Tailbone - Not always sure I know the difference.Thick Blunt Ends that sit just above my jeans kinda Like this: - Goal date December 2014. I am about 5 inches from where I need to be. My hair grows about .7 inches a month. Factoring in trims I should be able to make my goal. -Plans As a newly relaxed lady, I have got to learn to rollerset my hair this year. - Maintenance once goal is achieved Will continue to trim to that length, I don't really desire to have my hair any longer....At least not for now:lachen:(we tend to get hair anorexia around here). Continue to treat my hair well - bunning/low manipulation styles.

Girl where you been?! Your thickness and length and hemline is exactly my goal. Memorizing your Reggie now.

I've realized one of the best things about my personal hair journey is the fact that I do not worry about breakage. I figure that it's a regular part of a hair journey, is inevitable and is actually a good thing – only because I like the slightly tapered ends look and it helps me figure out what I need to do with my hair. I don't know if everyone feels the same way though because I've realized some people freak out over it. Do you guys worry about breakage or you just kind of let it be as long as it isn't extreme?

I've realized one of the best things about my personal hair journey is the fact that I do not worry about breakage. I figure that it's a regular part of a hair journey, is inevitable and is actually a good thing – only because I like the slightly tapered ends look and it helps me figure out what I need to do with my hair. I don't know if everyone feels the same way though because I've realized some people freak out over it. Do you guys worry about breakage or you just kind of let it be as long as it isn't extreme?

Aireen I don't like breakage, but as long as it's minimal I'm not caring. I know that when I have too much it's usually because I need a protein treatment. I tend to overmoisturize at times. I also believe it's inevitable as well. As long as I'm retaining enough to meet my goals, I'm happy.

Damn it @Whimsy I told you not to cut your hair LOL short hair is more maintenance
http://www.curlynikki.com/2013/10/short-hair-problems-4-reasons-why-my.html

Come back and join the tailbone challenge. Your hair grows like a weed

LOL BostonMaria i hope u got a giggle from the post.

Sorry....not going back to long hair anytime soon. I'm loving the ease of this short cut. I even lost my mind and cut it myself with clippers since the sides were getting too long.

After I pop the baby out I'll start growing again.

I keep thinking I joined this challenge. My goal was to make it to HL by Dec but I've been a bit scissor happy so I'm not going to make it. I'm texlaxed about 2 or 3 weeks post. I haven't been following my regimen lately. I've just been pure lazy. Pardon my fat rolls. I'm shrinking those too and my waist is about an inch above the rolls. The top of the pants is HL for me.

Attachments

• DSCI0948.JPG
    DSCI0948.JPG
    437.3 KB · Views: 93
I keep thinking I joined this challenge. My goal was to make it to HL by Dec but I've been a bit scissor happy so I'm not going to make it. I'm texlaxed about 2 or 3 weeks post. I haven't been following my regimen lately. I've just been pure lazy. Pardon my fat rolls. I'm shrinking those too and my waist is about an inch above the rolls. The top of the pants is HL for me.

NICE! Looks like your WHip length to me. You will be HL in no time. KUTGW

Your hair is beautiful! Maybe not hip length but I say give it a few more months and you're there.

I haven't cut my hair in over 12 months (well minus search & destroys) and I am hoping I'll be tailbone by the time I get my hair done on Nov 11th. We'll see! Right now I'm just enjoying the length.

OK NOW I'M ALL CONFUZZLED
Which comes first, tailbone or hip length?

Err never mind! Google is my friend
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Mgw4YOkYL...QM/7Ih6VAh9YcU/s1600/hairlengthchart+copy.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got to Walmart and now I have 5 products from Eden BodyWorks to try :grin: . . . right now :grin:. I got:
Peppermint tea tree shampoo- tried already and it's super gentle
Jojoba Monoi DC- marinating as I type LOL
Coconut Shea Leave-in
Coconut Shea Curling Creme
Peppermint tea tree temple balm- I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with this

I tried a bit of the curling creme on my dry (literally dry and a little matty) hair already, and it curled up like crazy!!! I'll have to apply it in small sections and I haven't had success with curl cremes so far. I'm excited to report back :yep:.

BostonMaria and Ms. Tiki, I want to see both of your reveals when you make it to HL sounds and looks like that will be soon for both of you.

Also, Ms. Tiki, that post on your blog from Cherrelle is hilarious!

MileHighDiva I swear it seems like I have a long way to go but thank you. About Miss Cherrelle, she is a mess. My hair definitely has a personality. LOL! She might write the HL reveal post. LOL!

NICE! Looks like your WHip length to me. You will be HL in no time. KUTGW

bebezazueta Thanks! I thought I was WHIP but I didn't want to claim it and have the hair police after me. :lol:

BostonMaria Thank you! BTW, the chart is backwards. Think HL is when you put your hands on your hip and around where you pants hit. Tailbone should be right at the top of the crack of your @$% :lol: Hope the attached charts help

Attachments

• chart2.jpg
    chart2.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 100
  • chart3.jpg
    chart3.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 95
  • growth chart 1.jpg
    growth chart 1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
So after using all new products yesterday, my hair is sooooo soft :blush:. This curling creme is only the second to work on my hair (the other was HPO and cost like $20). Plus is was the worst application ever because I stopped for a couple of hours half way through :lol: . I don't know how long it'll take to dry (had to diffuse at midnight), and I was worried that there be white residue, but it was all gone by morning. I am legitimately excited to try all of these products again. It maybe everything I loved about Shea Moisture (great ingredients, affordable price, easily accessible and black founded/owned) but actually work for my hair :yep:.

BostonMaria and Ms. Tiki, I want to see both of your reveals when you make it to HL sounds and looks like that will be soon for both of you.

Also, Ms. Tiki, that post on your blog from Cherrelle is hilarious!

MileHighDiva

I'm going to stop at tailbone length. I don't think my hair can grow to hip length, which is fine. I don't think I can handle anything past TBL. I have ALOT of hair LOL

Well ladies. I have to decided to do a long long transition. So I will still be in this challenge. I'm really excited about this journey. I've gone cone-free & sulfates-free and my hair is so manageable. The reason I relaxed was because of manageability but now my hair is manageable with a natural hair products regimen.

I do use protein weekly so breakage has been at the minimum. I haven't used heat in over 2 years & I don't own a blow dryer. So I will have to roller set & flat iron the roots for a length check. So next length check will be around Christmas. Hopefully I'll finally be WL by then.

My plan is to grow to my goal of HL & for the next few years to cut every length check to gradually get rid of all the relaxed ends. But never cutting the length shorter than WL.

I welcome your advice & support and thanks for all of the inspiration.

Oh yes on this journey I will master a smooth root roller set so stay tuned . . .

Good luck with your transition @bebzazueta! You can definitely do it. I'm in awe of the patience and dedication of long term transitioners like havilland, Njoy and other ladies.

ckisland...I keep wanting to try that Monoi Dc. Whenever I get to Sally's, it is wiped out. I guess I will be able to try it before the end of 2014....

ckisland...I keep wanting to try that Monoi Dc. Whenever I get to Sally's, it is wiped out. I guess I will be able to try it before the end of 2014....
Oh I totally forgot to post this. Um Belk informed me over the next week that they can't fulfill all but 1 product I ordered. The Monoi DC was the first thing they told me via email that they didn't actually have. I'm a bit pissed about this, because the site let me complete my order, put in card info and everything, only to tell me days later that I didn't actually buy anything :perplexed. Really?? So I don't think I'll ever be trying the Monoi and I'm over it now :lol:.

I don't know the last time I posted on here but I've reached WHip length.

407972557.jpg
:yay:

I am sure to reach hip length at this rate come 2014. I have been sticking with the LOC method and I've did a couple of tiny trims since my last update. Staple products are Suave tropical coconut conditioner, Terressentials mud wash, Shea Moisture moisture retention shampoo, and my favorite oils are coconut oil, olive oil, and macadamia nut oil.

New splurges:

Qhemets Burdock Root Butter Creme. I love it! I am not sure if I'll make it a staple but I would definitely buy it again.

As I am Coconut Co-Wash. It's great but once again don't know if I'll make it a staple.

Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Conditioner. It's ok. I will not buy it again.

Things I am removing from my regimen and will not be purchasing again ever:

Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie - I prefer Qhemets Butter Creme.
Grapeseed Oil - I don't like this oil much.
VO5 cheapie conditioners - I prefer my Suave staple.
Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk - I don't like it. I've been using the remainder in my DS hair.

Happy hair growing all. I am going to read through the thread now. :look:

I guess it's time for me to set my next goal: HL and TBL. According to charts in this thread I'm WL!! Doesn't look or feel like it to me but sure enough when I length check then circle that line to the front it's at my belly button.

Last edited:
Back