Hip Length (HL) 2013 Challenge!!

Not joining but looking on to see your beautiful progress ladies!

Hey ManeStreet I had similar issues after moving from AL to So Cal (but from MD). I found out that I have both very hard water AND highly chlorinated water. You should look up the info for your area. I got a sprite shower head filter and my hair, scalp, and skin has improved moisture-wise.

Not joining but looking on to see your beautiful progress ladies!

Hey ManeStreet I had similar issues after moving from AL to So Cal (but from MD). I found out that I have both very hard water AND highly chlorinated water. You should look up the info for your area. I got a sprite shower head filter and my hair, scalp, and skin has improved moisture-wise.

Thank you. I'm thinking I really need to do that. This dry scalp is not cute. Its got me paranoid that people will see lil flakes in my hair. Its all just a hott mess.

Adding DH. He will probably hit full hip length in 2013.

Sorry, photo is huge. Link: http://goingnaturaltransitionington...t/uploads/2012/11/long-locks-waist-length.jpg

Tail bone length is the current length, but a little longer in some places

He is natural, locs

Dryness is an issue, he uses the steamer

His products consists of whatever I give him, right now Organicals Deep Conditioning Creme, Ojon shampoo and Ojon conditioner. The salon uses Sebastian Molding mud on his locks most often, and he prefers it over other stylers.

His regimen changes when I don't like a product on my hair and pass it on.

He wants to cut his hair once it hit full hip length, probably to tail bone though.

Last edited:
I shampooed, detangled and deep conditioned today. I love wash day!

I put my curls into a bun after airdrying for a while...looking forward to my midweek co-wash with my no-poo :)

Sent from my Teleportation Device

what? lol you trusted her for yrs?
.... oh well gotta find some or dust your ends yourself...:ohwell:

I would like to see your crooked hair..... :yep:
maybe she cut the side shorter that grew faster?......:ohwell:

My sister has been cutting my hair since I was a kid. She has cut me shorter than I wanted in the past but has never given me a bad cut...this was the first time.

Attachments

• crooked.jpg
    crooked.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 98
HI :newbie: I would like to join

your current hair length: WSL
current hair status (natural, transitioning, relaxed, texlaxed?) NATURAL
current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc) NONE
current regimen and products: 1x Month: Hot Oil Treatment, Shampoo, Deep Condition, Protective Style Products: Lekair Cholesterol, Aussie 3 min, Sunflower Oil/Coconut Oil/Almond Oil, Organix Argan Oil treatment, Aphogee 2 step, Aphogee Shampoo
future regimen changes/plans (if any) None this regimen has gotten me to WSL will Continue until I hit HL
long term plan for 2013 to reach hip: Protective Styles: Wigs, Quick Weaves, Braids, Twists
post-hip plans (maintain? keep growing? cut? etc) Once I grow to HL Maintain and trim every month for fullness. Will finally wear hair out, deep condition and style every 1-2 weeks
Anything else you'd like to add about your hair or length goals/plans NONE

Please excuse the pics I do not know why they are turned to the side
IMG_20121114_213226.jpg

IMG_20121114_213025.jpg

I have to admit that I'm feeling nervous about making hip length. I am actually doubting if it's possible for me to make it. I don't know why I'm so nervous. I need to get my head in the game

Hello,

I going to try to post my regime:
I co-wash 1-2 x a week. I recently have been using "As I am coconut wash" and I love it. I love the slippage it gives my hair so that finger detangling is easier. I try to deep condition every week, either over night or under the hair dryer. I have also been using the LOC method with shea leave in moisturizer and olive oil, and then a braid on each side. I love the way my hair come out! It takes two re-braids to stretch it to maximum, which now reaches BSL on braid outs. I haven't flat ironed yet, but plan to in December. Will post pics. I think I am grazing WL at this time. We will see!

image-2049877552.jpg

image-2049877552.jpg

Dc'ed today and used my new chi wet to straight flat iron which I loved!!!! May have to trim ends. Don't think I will make waist length this month:(

Last edited:
Nothing to do with hair but your little baby is so cute so precious!!!!!! You need to put him in commercials, so cute!!!!!!

^^^ IKR?! Welp. I just did an overnight DC last night an am about to try Shea Moisture Curling Souffle on recommendation of @nakialovesshoes. Other than that, nothing new to report.

I'm not planning to flat iron anytime soon. I'll probably do a stretched length check at the end of the year and that will serve as my starting pic for 2013. I'm excited about 2013 tho. I'm ready to get back to Long Hair Diva status. :giggle:

^^^ IKR?! Welp. I just did an overnight DC last night an am about to try Shea Moisture Curling Souffle on recommendation of @nakialovesshoes. Other than that, nothing new to report.

I'm not planning to flat iron anytime soon. I'll probably do a stretched length check at the end of the year and that will serve as my starting pic for 2013. I'm excited about 2013 tho. I'm ready to get back to Long Hair Diva status. :giggle:

I like the curling souffle but be Very light handed with it.

@ManeStreet

Thanks, Girl. But why? Crunchy? Mushy? Greasy? Details please. TIA

NJoy

It'll make it greasy, flat, coated & weighed down. Almost like that greasy & heavy look jerry curls had. Mind you, my hair can take Alot of product & oil before it looks greasy but with this product less is the way to go.

I really like it but I suggest start light then add more if you need to.

Are you going to layer it over other products?

Last edited:
I'm still here.... Been hiding my hair under a wig and hat. Don't know about wl by end of this year :sad: my hair' s goin through a tantrum right now, not satisfied with any products and breaking off. Every time I touch it I get itty bitty hairs in my hand! :whyme: might have to relax sooner or somethin :ohwell:

I'm still here.... Been hiding my hair under a wig and hat. Don't know about wl by end of this year :sad: my hair' s goin through a tantrum right now, not satisfied with any products and breaking off. Every time I touch it I get itty bitty hairs in my hand! :whyme: might have to relax sooner or somethin :ohwell:

beauti
Oh noooooo @ the breakage. Think it might be trim related since its itty bitty hairs? How many weeks post are you?

PC071004.jpg

OK I'm considering this my official start for 2013.
I'm going to be washing/DCing/straightening every week or every other week (depending on what free time I have) up until May or June. Then I'll start wearing my hair curly again. I'm sure I'll be having some "off" weeks where I'll go curly before may though...
During those weeks I'll just do updos as usual. No wash n gos until deep into summer, or when my postpartum shedding stops...whichever comes first!

pre_medicalrulz yes girl it just might be that time to trim seeing as I have not done so in over 6mos :look: but in my defense the only reason I haven't trimmed in so long is because I did a very thorough section by section search and destroy. oh well, I' mma do it in time for starting pics. oh and I' m only like 12wks post

I'll join! :yay:

your current hair length (include photo) WL straightened, APL unstretched. Can't include a photo because I cover my hair. :)
current hair status (natural, transitioning, relaxed, texlaxed?) Natural
current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc) My hair is dryyyyy :lol:
current regimen and products Wash and deep condition weekly. Wear braidout buns throughout the week. Moisturize most days - if I can remember. :lol: Maybe this contributes to my dryness. :scratchch :lachen:. I also henna every week if I have it. My recipe is somewhere floating in some henna threads.
future regimen changes/plans (if any) Nope. I figure what's working will hopefully take me to HL
post-hip plans (maintain? keep growing? cut? etc) I won't know until I get there but I think I'd like to get to TL so I can blunt cut my hair to HL straightened. Ideally, I'd love my hair to be at MBL when it's slightly stretched (twist/braid outs).
Anything else you'd like to add about your hair or length goals/plans Nope. Can't wait to get to growing. :yay:

@NJoy

It'll make it greasy, flat, coated & weighed down. Almost like that greasy & heavy look jerry curls had. Mind you, my hair can take Alot of product & oil before it looks greasy but with this product less is the way to go.

I really like it but I suggest start light then add more if you need to.

Are you going to layer it over other products?

Thanks, girl. I plan to put it ontop of my leave in. I probably won't have time to do it until later tonight. I'm not really planning to wear my hair out with it. I'm hoping it locks in moisture and gives me some bling, as I've heard it does.

your current hair length (include photo) I'm right at WL. I guess it's possible for me to make it to hip length by the end of 2013, if I play my cards right.

This was taken a few months ago but I'm about at the same place :look:

DSCN1211.jpg

current hair status (natural, transitioning, relaxed, texlaxed?) natural
current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc) dryness, itchy scalp
current regimen and products

I've kind of been doing whatever, lately :lol: But my usual regimen has been shampoo (about) every 2 weeks, deep condition, seal with oil, twist. Spritz as needed with moisturizing spritz. Wear twistout for a few days to a week, then repeat. I will be wearing my twists and twist outs in updos or buns. Trim as needed.

long term plan for 2013 to reach hip Leave my hair alone. Keep hair twisted or I may dawn some wigs again. Especially when I get the urge for straight hair.
post-hip plans (maintain? keep growing? cut? etc) Dunno. One of these days, I'd like to BC again.

OK I'm considering this my official start for 2013.
I'm going to be washing/DCing/straightening every week or every other week (depending on what free time I have) up until May or June. Then I'll start wearing my hair curly again. I'm sure I'll be having some "off" weeks where I'll go curly before may though...
During those weeks I'll just do updos as usual. No wash n gos until deep into summer, or when my postpartum shedding stops...whichever comes first!

Whimsy

What month did you do your blunt cut when you got rid of your V shape? Your hair grows like crazy. Wowzers.

KCcurly omg i feel like such a lousy forumfriend! I didn't realize you were preggified!! CONGRATS a million times over!!!! Are you ready for this lil bundle?!

@Whimsy

What month did you do your blunt cut when you got rid of your V shape? Your hair grows like crazy. Wowzers.

You mean the SL/APL cut? That was july or august of last year. I cut it blunt at the bottom but with layers throughout.
I trimmed about an inch in April of this year but that's it. I could use a good trim. Maybe in January to start the year off right.

Back