Hip Length (HL) 2013 Challenge!!

So I did a quick wash this weekend and planned on trying a braidout but didnt have the time. So instead of my usual wash and set, I washed, air dried and flat ironed for the first time. I dont understand how ppl do this on a regular basis and still have healthy hair. I felt like I was frying my hair! :nono: I vow to NEVER flat iron my entire head again. Its ok for touch ups now and then but I just dont see how that can possibly be healthier than roller setting. I have never been one to have "greasy" looking hair but yesterday I must have used half a jar of coconut oil trying to protect my hair. If I dont have time to rollerset or braid out I will just stick to a wng.

hair length: WSL(the picture was taken last week right after I got my hair colored and about 1 inch trimmed).

current hair status: Natural with color

current hair issues: Dry scalp

current regimen and products: Through the holidays, I'm going to flatiron and deep condition every 2 weeks. I do not use heat in between washdays. I wear it in a bun unless I'm going out then I let it down. I add a little bit of olive oil to my ends and moisturize my scalp every couple days.

future regimen changes/plans: After the flatiron regimen, I'm going back to my usual regimen of bunning/braidout once/twice a week

post-hip plans: I plan to maintain at hip length unless I crave more length... I cannot imagine dealing with hair longer than HL.

Additional: About my color, it's not bleached, it's lifted with developer. I got it done at the salon. It's paul mitchell color.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121113_131655.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121113_131655.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 20121107_165057-1.jpg
    20121107_165057-1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
blackindia07 said:
I dont understand how ppl do this on a regular basis and still have healthy hair. I felt like I was frying my hair! :nono: I vow to NEVER flat iron my entire head again.

I know, right? It feels almost abusive.

I can't swear off the flat iron for good because I'm too impatient to roller set, but I def don't do it more than 3 or 4 times a year anymore. There used to be a time I didn't even think twice about it. Now it's kinda scary...smelling your hair, hearing it crackle!

Any roller setting pointers you could share. I've tried but can't get a good outcome.

Oh, and since you've already done the dirt, post some pics of your press!

hair length: WSL(the picture was taken last week right after I got my hair colored and about 1 inch trimmed).

current hair status: Natural with color

current hair issues: Dry scalp

current regimen and products: Through the holidays, I'm going to flatiron and deep condition every 2 weeks. I do not use heat in between washdays. I wear it in a bun unless I'm going out then I let it down. I add a little bit of olive oil to my ends and moisturize my scalp every couple days.

future regimen changes/plans: After the flatiron regimen, I'm going back to my usual regimen of bunning/braidout once/twice a week

post-hip plans: I plan to maintain at hip length unless I crave more length... I cannot imagine dealing with hair longer than HL.

Additional: About my color, it's not bleached, it's lifted with developer. I got it done at the salon. It's paul mitchell color.

ManeStreet BEAUTIFUL HAIR!!! I remember when mine used to look like that! :cry: Before it became the thin, crooked, hot mess it is today. LOL

I know, right? It feels almost abusive.

SunnyHoney Abusive is right!!! I wanted to hold my hair and apologize...I felt like I violated it after all its already been thru. LOL

For real!!! Ive never done it before but I promise you Ill never do it again. Not to mention Im not happy with the end result. My hair is flat and looks thin especially since its greasy. I prefer the body that you get from rollersetting.

I have on a black shirt today so Im sure the pics will come out great but I will try.

If I reach full brastrap length by the end of this year, I can hopefully make it to hiplength. I know that sounds impossible but me being a short person my bra to my hip is about 6 to 7 inches apart. So I believe with the help of the Lord this can happen. We shall see. I will also post pics to track my progress.

ManeStreet ur hair is thee bomb.frickincom!!!

Yall making me wanna flat iron! I'll do mine next month. I believe im MBL now. Im hoping for HL by May or June 2013. :)

Sent from my Teleportation Device

ManeStreet ur hair is thee bomb.frickincom!!!

Yall making me wanna flat iron! I'll do mine next month. I believe im MBL now. Im hoping for HL by May or June 2013. :)

Ive been on cloud 9 since I got it flatironed. It feels so good to enjoy my length & actually be able to see it.

Don't do it to me!:lol:^^

Im obsessed with Deva products right now....:look:... so tomorrow i think im gonna buy a big bottle of the OneCondition and a regular size of the NoPoo and maybe the ultra defining gel. I just love their stuff!!

SunnyHoney As far as rollersetting tips... Tip #1 which is by far the most important....PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE!!!! LOL Ive been setting my own hair since I was about 14 and to this day if Im in a rush it wont come out right.

2nd if youre going to flat iron/blow dry/curl it after it afterward it doesnt have to be perfect. But if youre not following up with anything and you want a nice smooth result then you need to either brush or use a fine tooth comb (GASP) before rolling each section. The way your hair is rolled is how its going to dry...so if it isnt flat and smooth against the roller it wont dry flat and smooth.

3rd I like to roll over because I think that it straightens my roots better (I try not to follow up with anything after I rollerset...depending on how many weeks post I am I may straighten the roots in the front some)

Thats about it!

blackindia07, Thanks for the tips! So by "rolling over" do you mean like when you first place the roller it is on top of the section of hair? Or vice versa?

I think you hit the nail on the head with that first ingredient...patience. I have absolutely none!

When I've roller set in the past I've always taken them out to check if their dry and end up effin' up the whole thing!

But now I'm motivated to give it another go! Got a corporate event next week so I'll roller set for that. I'll post pics if it comes out ok. But if y'all don't see my pics, y'all will know I failed!

RAnT: I'm exhausted or dry, itchy, flakey scalp. Darn it. Ever since I moved back to Maryland from Cali, I can't shake these scalp issues. It's crazy because Cali is way drier than MD but I only have these issues here. It's driving me crazy. Even when I was doing my co-wash twice a week regimen by day 3 my scalp was getting itchy and flakey already. I'm getting frustrated at this point.

I know I need to drink more water. Will uping my water intake help scalp issues? I think I need to address it from the inside out. Help!!

3 days ago I started taking a teaspoon of EVOO orally. Now I'm upping it to a tablespoon. Maybe this will help. My diet could be alot better too. Grrrrrrrr....

Last edited:
SunnyHoney i roll my hair towards the front of my head as opposed to the back. If you roll your hair back then you get a big bump at the root from the hair going up over the roller rather than under it. So if you do it that way then you should section off a piece of hair, comb or brush smooth (I know thats a no no but i do it) pull the hair up and back, put the roller at the end of your hair and roll forward. By pulling the roller back some your roots should be straighter after you pin the roller in.

To check if your hair is dry just pull a small portion of hair loose from the roller without pulling the whole roller out. sometimes you have to wait until the hair cools down a little because if its warm and its just a little damp you might not feel it. (kinda like when you take clothes out of the dryer lol) If its still damp then go back under for another 15 minutes or so. Then the next time you go under the dryer stay for the initial amount of time you went under plus extra 15 mins. So that way you dont have to test you know your hair will be dry. But you will have adjust the time as you hair get longer and/or fuller.

Also do you pin the rollers to each other or at the root?

RAnT: I'm exhausted or dry, itchy, flakey scalp. Darn it. Ever since I moved back to Maryland from Cali, I can't shake these scalp issues. It's crazy because Cali is way drier than MD but I only have these issues here. It's driving me crazy. Even when I was doing my co-wash twice a week regimen by day 3 my scalp was getting itchy and flakey already. I'm getting frustrated at this point.

I know I need to drink more water. Will uping my water intake help scalp issues? I think I need to address it from the inside out. Help!!

3 days ago I started taking a teaspoon of EVOO orally. Now I'm upping it to a tablespoon. Maybe this will help. My diet could be alot better too. Grrrrrrrr....

hhmmmm....Ive never really had scalp issues so Im just guessing here. Are you using any new products? Have you tried an ACV rinse?

hhmmmm....Ive never really had scalp issues so Im just guessing here. Are you using any new products? Have you tried an ACV rinse?

No I'm using the same products that I've always had a good history with. I've never done a ACV rinse. What does that do? clarify the scalp?

ManeStreet said:

You might have hard water. I was in Nor Cali, now I'm east coast. The climate was drier there, but I've found the water to be harder here. Hard water leaves limescale and calcium deposits on just about every surface, perhaps even your scalp. It's just a thought.

Investing in a water softener is an expensive way to test the theory, but if you do invest in one, and it turns out hard water wasn't the cause of the scalp issue, you'll probably still appreciate having soft water because it just feels better, in my opinion.

blackindia07 said:
SunnyHoney i roll my hair towards the front of my head as opposed to the back. If you roll your hair back then you get a big bump at the root from the hair going up over the roller rather than under it. So if you do it that way then you should section off a piece of hair, comb or brush smooth (I know thats a no no but i do it) pull the hair up and back, put the roller at the end of your hair and roll forward. By pulling the roller back some your roots should be straighter after you pin the roller in.

To check if your hair is dry just pull a small portion of hair loose from the roller without pulling the whole roller out. sometimes you have to wait until the hair cools down a little because if its warm and its just a little damp you might not feel it. (kinda like when you take clothes out of the dryer lol) If its still damp then go back under for another 15 minutes or so. Then the next time you go under the dryer stay for the initial amount of time you went under plus extra 15 mins. So that way you dont have to test you know your hair will be dry. But you will have adjust the time as you hair get longer and/or fuller.

Also do you pin the rollers to each other or at the root?

Got it! Whew, thanks! Ok, now I'm getting a little excited to try my set!

You might have hard water. I was in Nor Cali, now I'm east coast. The climate was drier there, but I've found the water to be harder here. Hard water leaves limescale and calcium deposits on just about every surface, perhaps even your scalp. It's just a thought.

Investing in a water softener is an expensive way to test the theory, but if you do invest in one, and it turns out hard water wasn't the cause of the scalp issue, you'll probably still appreciate having soft water because it just feels better, in my opinion.

You know what I think you are on point with this. I've heard people mention that about the water but somehow I didn't make the connection. I'm originally from Cali and when I lived there I didn't even need to lotion. But I have constantly battled dry skin and dry scalp since I've been on the east coast. I thought it was just because of the winter but it happens pretty much year round but in the winter it's even worse.

I'm wondering if taking coconut oil supplements will lubricate me :look:. I can't take fish oil, it makes my face break out horribly.

I want in.... I will post photos after I relax this weekend.....:yep:

everybody's hair is so pretty & healthy.......
you can see where some of the members hair go thru a slow phase too....:yep:

OK I'll join. I'm in W'Hip 2013 too but wth:drunk:

your current hair length (include photo):I'm currently just grazing WL. (see siggy)
current hair status (natural, transitioning, relaxed, texlaxed?)
natural

current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc):

Breakage with thin ends. Not moisturizing enough. Also thinning at the hairline.

Current regimen and products:
I sort of fell out from a regimen which may be the problem. I'm inconsistent.
I'm just rotating the conditioners I use when I wash.

future regimen changes/plans (if any):

Main thing is trimming every 8-10 weeks. I also plan to use a protein conditioner more often. not sure about other changes yet.

long term plan for 2013 to reach hip:

Honestly, I probably won't reach hip because I want a fuller hemline so I'll be trimming often. Still, I'm curious to see how much progress I will make.

post-hip plans (maintain? keep growing? cut? etc):

Hard to know, if I ever do reach hip I might be inclined to grow on.

Anything else you'd like to add about your hair or length goals/plans:
Just that I'm proud of my efforts thus far.

Seriously...its humbling. But I wont go off topic anymore. I should post pix of my crooked hair that my sister insists is even just one side is more relaxed than the other. and yes she really did say that! LMAO

what? lol you trusted her for yrs?
.... oh well gotta find some or dust your ends yourself...:ohwell:

I would like to see your crooked hair..... :yep:
maybe she cut the side shorter that grew faster?......:ohwell:

Okay so.....

Im a pedestrian. I catch buses...and i feel some kind of way about wearing my straight hair down on public transportation. Im thinking about flat ironing my hair next month...but i know I'll just feel weird on the bus.

Anybody comfy with catching public transportation with their hair down?

Okay so.....

Im a pedestrian. I catch buses...and i feel some kind of way about wearing my straight hair down on public transportation. Im thinking about flat ironing my hair next month...but i know I'll just feel weird on the bus.

Anybody comfy with catching public transportation with their hair down?

I never caught a bus but I'm curious to know why you would feel uncomfortable?

I never caught a bus but I'm curious to know why you would feel uncomfortable?

I'm honestly somewhat a self-conscious person....always have been. I have issues with ppl staring at me and its even worse when random jerks try to holla:nono:...you'd probably pass right by me on the street bc i always wear sunglasses to kinda hide from the world (plus my eyes are sensitive to the sunlight)...

I LOVE my long hair...but i hate when ppl get ignorant and want to stare and not blink or look away for a second or sometimes try to touch it...so i usually just keep my hair curly or in a bun...which itself is huge.

Those of you who really know me know that i deal with anxiety issues...so lately it has been a struggle. I just wondered if i was the only one thinking like this.

Don't mind me i'm just a wee bit :nuts:

I'm honestly somewhat a self-conscious person....always have been. I have issues with ppl staring at me and its even worse when random jerks try to holla:nono:...you'd probably pass right by me on the street bc i always wear sunglasses to kinda hide from the world (plus my eyes are sensitive to the sunlight)...

I LOVE my long hair...but i hate when ppl get ignorant and want to stare and not blink or look away for a second or sometimes try to touch it...so i usually just keep my hair curly or in a bun...which itself is huge.

Those of you who really know me know that i deal with anxiety issues...so lately it has been a struggle. I just wondered if i was the only one thinking like this.

Don't mind me i'm just a wee bit :nuts:

Ahhhhh I actually can understand this! I'm the same way so I get you. At first I assumed you were worried some idiot on the bus would chop off your hair or something. I always assume to the extreme. LOL

Lol! I feel better now :) i do sometimes worry about an idiot with scissors.

But the staring thing...i just...:nono: ugh!

so I realized that I have to start back up with my sulphur mix on my Scalp. I stopped oiling my scalp earlier this year and that must be why I'm having these dry scalp issues. I started back using Claudies elixir. maybe the sulphur will help me with some growth too

Back