Hip Length (HL) 2012!!!!

wyldcurlz - Others may disagree with me but I don't think the rare flatironing 3x in a week will cause heat damage ... unless your hair is fragile to begin with? If it's healthy, it should bounce back.

eocceas had a good suggestion. I flatiron my hair 1-2x a quarter, usually 2-3 passes at max heat and touch up the roots 1x during the week. Next time I wash I do a pre-poo conditioning treatment, moisturizing shampoo then an intense DC with protein and moisturizing conditioners. I check for how it acts when it dries -- if my curls are bouncy and elastic, all's good. If they're dry, limp and frizzy, I do another protein DC followed with a good moisturizing conditioner then make sure I baby it (PS, M&S, sleeping in bonnet, etc).

Heat damaged hair looks fried, has no elasticity, won't hold a curl, more breakage than usual.

Thanks regina07 - that is such helpful information.

You can tell I've been a long and loyal LHCFer because i'm scared of heat! Any heat! and bun religiously....even though i HATE how i look in them. i'd definitely given myself a major guilt trip about the straightening but wanted to do it for some interviews. I'm going to pre-poo, wash and DC after and alternate protein and moisture for the next few weeks...just baby my hair and my ends for a bit. Its already summer and due to circumstances beyond my control, i straighten more often in the summer (long story.)

Anyway, THANK YOU to both you and eocceas for the suggestions and the help!!!

Hey Ladies, I've come to join you on this Journey to Hip Length. I'm back at my starting point because of a big cut I did a few months back, but I'm happy to be starting healthy (:

Current Length: In between MBL and WL

Regimen Plans:Braiding my way to HL. . . Washing once or twice a week or as needed ((I'm doing the Insanity workout so I trend to have to wash more often)) Using Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner and Moisturizing with S~Curl/Carefree Curl/Pink lotion and Coconut Oil/Olive Oil on my scalp

Hip Length Date:December 31, 2012

My hair after Joico mosturizing balm.. Shiny and very manageable! Loving it...

Starting length: 15inches (from nape) Jan 1st
Current length: 16inches Mar 1st
Goal length: 25inches

Attachments

• image-2187049614.jpg
    image-2187049614.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 148
:wave: hey ladies. nothing to report, my hair is pretty much the same. Except .8 - 1" longer. So I'll probably reach hl by the end of June. And then I'll chop the rest of my relaxed ends off and start the process over again.

Phony pony with a long time kinky curly wig of mine. It can no longer fit over my entire head so I've found a new purpose for it.:yep:
Hair is in a twisted bun...

Attachments

• phony pony2.jpg
    phony pony2.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 79
  • phony pony.jpg
    phony pony.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 68
  • phony pony3.jpg
    phony pony3.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 65
I need this thread to keep the scissors away from me lol. I started a "no trim challenge" but I think this thread would have sufficed :lol:. I'm going to get hip length this year.

Having a hair depression :crazy: . Yesterday I washed, deep conditioned, and sealed. But for someone reasn, a BUNCH of hair came out. All in my sink and in my hands (Ugh). Not just long shedding strands, but little breaking ones as well. All I kept thinking is, Im wearing my protective styles, keeping my hair moisturized, giving myself weekly protein treatments, and sealing! What the heck can this be?? This is the problem I have with fine/thin hair. It will grow and grow and grow. But the thickness and volume seems to never happen. I feel like cutting back to APL and starting over. But I know this phase will pass. The only time I didn't see this type of shedding and hair loss was when I was Ovation-ing all last year. Literally retained 5 inches of hair in 7 months of using that stuff, with no split ends!

Maybe it's time for me to go back to what I know :perplexed

Any suggestions guys???

tiajanae said:
Having a hair depression :crazy: . Yesterday I washed, deep conditioned, and sealed. But for someone reasn, a BUNCH of hair came out. All in my sink and in my hands (Ugh). Not just long shedding strands, but little breaking ones as well. All I kept thinking is, Im wearing my protective styles, keeping my hair moisturized, giving myself weekly protein treatments, and sealing! What the heck can this be?? This is the problem I have with fine/thin hair. It will grow and grow and grow. But the thickness and volume seems to never happen. I feel like cutting back to APL and starting over. But I know this phase will pass. The only time I didn't see this type of shedding and hair loss was when I was Ovation-ing all last year. Literally retained 5 inches of hair in 7 months of using that stuff, with no split ends!

Any suggestions guys???

Maybe be this shed was just a flook, or a seasonal shed?

Any suggestions guys???

You're hair may be Protein sensitive. Try doing less protein treatments, maybe every other week or even 1x a month and see what happens. Keep doing everything else you're doing but incorporate Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner, try garlic vits, and Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO) on your scalp for thickness...try these for the next couple of months. You'll see a huge difference. But don't be discouraged...Good luck:yep:

I'm in! New to LHCF so help me out ladies with all the terminologies (especially identifying textures)..

Current Length: waist length (15 inches)
Goal Length: hip length (25 inches)

january12012hair.jpg

I'm so long torso'd! 15 inches on me would be like apl LOL. I'm 25 inches right now and I'm at waist length.

I am now 2.5" to 3" away from HL! I am so excited and cannot believe it!! My hair has never been this long before, but I am ready the achieve it. Let's go ladies!

I am now 2.5" to 3" away from HL! I am so excited and cannot believe it!! My hair has never been this long before, but I am ready the achieve it. Let's go ladies!

So Exciting! As NJoy exemplifies, if you can believe it, you will achieve it! We'll see at HL by mid-year.:grin:

I'm so long torso'd! 15 inches on me would be like apl LOL. I'm 25 inches right now and I'm at waist length.

That's interesting. How are you measuring your hair? From the nape of the neck (the very back of your head) or the top of your hair? Because when i measure from my crown I'm around 33inches but I think that is such an inaccurate measurement because not all hair strands are that length, especially the back. I measure from the nape because the strands of hair that stretch the longest down my back are there and it gives a more accurate reading of how long each strand is..

You're hair may be Protein sensitive. Try doing less protein treatments, maybe every other week or even 1x a month and see what happens. Keep doing everything else you're doing but incorporate Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner, try garlic vits, and Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO) on your scalp for thickness...try these for the next couple of months. You'll see a huge difference. But don't be discouraged...Good luck:yep:

I was thinking maybe it was too moisturized. Usually the protein stops all breakage whereas my hair has a natural tendency to become oily even when no product is applied so when it's extremely moisturized it becomes limp and weak. I also use Alopecil Garlic Shampoo weekly, Nutrine Garlic Hot Oil treatments monthly and a daily Garlic Capsule. I also seal with a JBCO/Argan Oil mix.

On a happier note, I tried my regimen with less agression this week. I didnt wash in the sink like I normally do, detangled in sections, and did some finger combing instead of my normal wide tooth comb. Lot less hairs in the sink :grin:. Also did an unofficial length check and hit 17inches! Yay me!! 1inch of growth this month. Just in time for my March 31st progress pic! Take that breakage!:brucelee:hahaha

^^Staying positive. I WILL not put scissors to my hair this year.
I don't care if my ends look like string by mid year :look:. I won't do it.

SerenavanderWoodsen, You must have been a cutter in your past LoL .... That sounds good to me, I'm rooting for you all the way. Hide the scissors (:

Still trucking along! Finally hit MBL. YAY!

Kn0ttyByNatur3, congratulations on making MBL :dance7:

ShawnC, :congrats: I'm excited for you, your do close (:

That's interesting. How are you measuring your hair? From the nape of the neck (the very back of your head) or the top of your hair? Because when i measure from my crown I'm around 33inches but I think that is such an inaccurate measurement because not all hair strands are that length, especially the back. I measure from the nape because the strands of hair that stretch the longest down my back are there and it gives a more accurate reading of how long each strand is..

I was thinking of this earlier. My nape hairs are not as long as the layers on top of them. I realized this is is why when I wear my hair curly, I get tangles and matting along my neck line. My length comes from the hair at the top of my head...I only hope my nape hairs eventually grow to HL/TBL with the rest of it! :perplexed

ShawnC said:
Janet' how is your hair doing? I remember that you posted you would do a length check in March so was just checking to see how it was going with the new color.

ShawnC Funny you ask!!! I'm sitting in the salon seat as I type!!! Back at dontspeakdefeat aka Tamika Bell's salon. I'll let you know

Back