Here it Is! My TANGLE-FREE Homemade Half Wig (*pics*)

secretrose

Ok so I've been really frustrated with the quality of fall hair for the last couple months. Buying and throwing away a lot of them when they get matted. I used to brush my fall at least once every two hours everyday to get it to look decent. :wallbash:

You don't even wanna know how much $$$ i've spent.:perplexed

So I started thinking to myself, hmmm..... why is it that weaves don't get so matted but falls do. It has to be the hair quality or something.:yep:

I decided what if I made my own fall using quality hair, would it still tangle and matt so easily? So I went out and bought a few things.

1. Milky way blue human hair
2. Weave needle and thread

P1010332.jpg

Step 1. You will need to get one of your old tangled half-wigs

Here are a few of mine.

P1010328.jpg

Step 2. Shave that sucker BALD! Unfortunately I don't have a picture of what it looked like after I cut all the hair off.

Step 3. Begin sewing your weave track along the same line as the original wig hair. Horizontally

P1010333.jpg

Step 4. Keep sewing until you reach the front. reinforce each line if needed! That's it.

End Result:
P1010327.jpg
P1010335.jpg

If you have this kind of pillow it will really help.
P1010323.jpg
P1010325.jpg
P1010319.jpg

Last edited:
wow what an excellent idea! How long did it take for you to do from start to finish?

Thank you! Probably about 3hrs but I was watching tv too and stuff.

It's worth it to me because now I don't have to go to the bathroom at work every two hours just to brush my hair :perplexed

What a wise idea! God only knows that I've been wearing the life out of my half wigs and I have a few around. I will try this after the holidays.

Thanks for sharing!

So you used an existing half wig, took off the hair and then added yours. I want to make half one too. Yours look great.

You know what really bugs me though, why is it that these companies are charging $60+ for human hair wigs and claiming it's good quality hair? It's obvious to me now that the tangling is a result of the cheap hair used to make them. argg! It makes me so mad:boxing:. They are ripping us off on purpose. And don't even waste your money on those wig detanglers! They are rubbish!

Thank you ladies :) I plan on making a few different ones over the holidays. My sister has been complaining over her matted jacked up fall. Maybe I'll hook her up.

good idea :) looks great

i would like to do this but I don't have any old half wigs... how would I go about creating my own from scratch?

good idea :) looks great

i would like to do this but I don't have any old half wigs... how would I go about creating my own from scratch?

See initially I tried to do this with a mesh wig cap and sewed some wig combs onto it. But it ended up being a full wig. It didn't really work out for me. :nono:

I'm not sure if they sell the base piece by itself. That would be really great. I will start asking around to see if anyone knows.

oh snap son!!! i need to try this out. this will give my bf... i mean me, something to do on the weekends :grin: girl you are too smart for me. this is great, cause now i can make my half wig how i want and get the type of weaving hair that i can style too . i love you for this :)

Thanks ladies. Now I want to start making a lot more of these. My pillow manican has been a good sport lol:lachen:. But after washing I want to be able to flat iron or blow dry it like you would on a human. Does anyone own a really good wig stand? How easy is it to flat iron on one of those things?

Thank you so much or sharing that!!!! I thought I was creative- I would have NEVER have thought of that one. Question for you?

For the original half wig, did you cut the existing tracks out, or did you cut the hair off? I hope I explained that right.

Genius!

Thank you so much or sharing that!!!! I thought I was creative- I would have NEVER have thought of that one. Question for you?

For the original half wig, did you cut the existing tracks out, or did you cut the hair off? I hope I explained that right.

Genius!

I just cut the hair out only. If you look at the base of a half wig, there are wig tracks sewn horizontally on vertical lace. I just cut the hair of the wig tracks as best I could. Then sewed the new track making loops around the remnants horizontally. Dang i wish i had a pic. The next time i do one, I will post a pic. HTH.

I just cut the hair out only. If you look at the base of a half wig, there are wig tracks sewn horizontally on vertical lace. I just cut the hair of the wig tracks as best I could. Then sewed the new track making loops around the remnants horizontally. Dang i wish i had a pic. The next time i do one, I will post a pic. HTH.

That explains it perfectly! Thank you.

Wow, this is pure genius! Do you think a person w/o weave experience can do this successfully?? I've never sewed tracks or anything... I currently have a sew in (using as a protective style), but would love the versatility of a half wig (nothing beats a good wash w/o tracks and a net in the way). TIA!

Back