Henna

ProductJunkie

I want to dye my hair black, I would like use henna on my hair, I am all natural, and currently sporting a twa. I colored my hair right before i bc'ed so that was maybe 6 months ago. On the henna for hair website, they said you should dye your hair with henna, and then use the indigo, I remember seein a very beautiful head of curly hair, that was henna'd (is that a word) I want to know where she is, so I can ask her how she went about it, what process she used, and if she did henna then indigo, and how long did it take.. I don't wanna walk around with red hair..... :ohwell: so hopefully I could do both in one day.

OOoohhhh - Did you check out the mixes on hennaforhair?? There are some indigo mixes there.

If you already have dark hair, henna will not make your hair red - henna is more of a 'cellophane' type dye than anything else - it cannt lighten your hair.
As far as I know, you prep the henna ahead of time (because the dye takes a while to release) then prep the indigo shortly before application (because the dye doesn't take that long to release) then mix em together and apply at once. THe henna acts as a 'transport' for the indigo - and you end up with darker (not red) hair.

You might want to ask this on the hennaforhair fourms....

I tried the indigo henna for my hair to color it black and it did nothing for my hair and my hair is already dark, so I just use either a Color rinse or the Demi permanent. that way my hair doesn't get dry or brittle, but henna wasn't for me.

Was it this chick?
http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/gwyn.html

Even tho my natural color is dark, henna made it red until I started mixing my henna with indigo. Check it out.

henna_comparisoncopy-1-vi.jpg

Last edited:
sareca said:
Was it this chick?
gwyndjvhair1s.jpg

Even tho my natural color is dark, henna made it red until I started mixing my henna with indigo. Check it out.

henna_comparisoncopy-1-vi.jpg
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want my hair to look just like that.... THe way it was after the indigo...In both pics its soooo shiney.... I am off to stalk you fotki!!!

NappyParadise said:
I tried the indigo henna for my hair to color it black and it did nothing for my hair and my hair is already dark, so I just use either a Color rinse or the Demi permanent. that way my hair doesn't get dry or brittle, but henna wasn't for me.

Did you henna and then use indigo, or just indigo?

ProductJunkie said:
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want my hair to look just like that.... THe way it was after the indigo...In both pics its soooo shiney.... I am off to stalk you fotki!!!
Whoa, it was?! :eek: I actually wasn't talking about me. But I'm flattered. :blush:

Here's the direct link. http://public.fotki.com/Serica/hair_to_stay/2006/may_2006/hennad_hair/
Pw in profile.

ETA: Here are a lot of ladies w/ some beautiful henna'd hair. Check out the most recent henna thread. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=87256&highlight=ya'll+henna

Last edited:
sareca said:
Whoa, it was?! :eek: I actually wasn't talking about me. But I'm flattered. :blush:
I couldnt see the pic you posted... but it was your hair... you took a before and after pic when it was in a big curly ponytail.... from what i understand, you mix the indigo with the henna.... But you did henna first, previously.... I am going to start collecting some of my hairs, and henna them, and then use the indigo, without mixing it in henna and see what color i get.. but i love your shine!!!!

ProductJunkie said:
I couldnt see the pic you posted... but it was your hair... you took a before and after pic when it was in a big curly ponytail.... from what i understand, you mix the indigo with the henna.... But you did henna first, previously.... I am going to start collecting some of my hairs, and henna them, and then use the indigo, without mixing it in henna and see what color i get.. but i love your shine!!!!
Yeah, the pic of the other chick keeps appearing and disappearing. Anyway, Thanks. I actually call that shine 'henna shine' when people comment.

I mixed my henna and indigo just cause I didn't want it totally black, but now think I do. I'll probably do just indigo next time.

I updated my other post with a coupla links that will help you understand the 'henna' process. It's not like other dye.

When do you think you'll do just indigo? Thats what I wanna do, but I'm gonna do my strand test, just to see how it would look.... I wish I didnt have to henna first, then do indigo, only because its hot, and I cant stand stuff on my head... But i'll crank up the AC and sit on here to make the time pass.

ProductJunkie said:
When do you think you'll do just indigo? Thats what I wanna do, but I'm gonna do my strand test, just to see how it would look.... I wish I didnt have to henna first, then do indigo, only because its hot, and I cant stand stuff on my head... But i'll crank up the AC and sit on here to make the time pass.

I'm braided until the end of Aug. *sigh* I'm so bored with braids right now.

I want braids.... I just hate taking them out... So i might just conrow my own hair, and get it redone til the end of summer... I wanna color my hair after I am 8 months post bc, just because I colored right before I bc'd so it the only way of me to keep track of growth... so by the end of summer i will henna.

Back