HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

AudraChanell

I have an obsession about relaxing my hair! I am 9 weeks out and my new growth drives me crazy because I dont really blow dry or use hot irons; I wash, set, and wrap. I bought my relaxer today and I am sooo tempted to relax. PLEASE give me reasons to wait!! /images/graemlins/hammer.gif New Growth

Well, I am not going to be any help. I am a firm believer that some people need a relaxer every 8-9 weeks. I think that some hair just becomes compromised when waiting longer.
IMO /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I agree, but my reason is I am soooo lazy. I can't deal with the extra time it takes to straighten it out /images/graemlins/frown.gif I ususaly comb down my wrap and go.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I am not going to be any help. I am a firm believer that some people need a relaxer every 8-9 weeks. I think that some hair just becomes compromised when waiting longer.
IMO /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto, holding out for me causes breakage /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif

Stretching out my relaxers works for me but like Webby and Denali said....it's not for everyone. What are your reasons for stretching your relaxer? There are plenty of benefits from stetching....my hair is thicker and there's less chance of overlapping once I get a relaxer.

lovely---thanks
Pooh----3 months
Jenn---I like 2 inches of new growth reducing overlap mainly. Seems like it isnt growing as much /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I want to wait to the third week of October /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I agree with webby and Denali stretching is not for everyone. I usually wait three months but have gotten a relaxer at two months a couple of times because i felt waiting would damage my hair. Make a list of pros and cons and then make your decision. I think at 9 weeks you should be ok in terms of not overlapping. Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help.

I am not trying to lose my hair ladies *lol* Just trying to wait until I have enough new growth mainly in the back. Problem is I have little to no new growth in the back. Something is going on??? I asked my hubby to look at my new growth in the back and he agrees. I felt what seemed like a half inch? I am going to measure my hair when I relax. I think my hair slows down once it reaches a certain length. I think I may relax the front only, then the back at a later time when there's enough new growth /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with webby and Denali stretching is not for everyone. I usually wait three months but have gotten a relaxer at two months a couple of times because i felt waiting would damage my hair. Make a list of pros and cons and then make your decision. I think at 9 weeks you should be ok in terms of not overlapping. Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last edited:
I stretch out my relaxers (3 months) to prevent overlapping and because I want to minimize the use of chemicals. And my hair seems to be thicker because I do. But at the 9 week point I don't try to wear my hair straight. I wear braid outs, caruso steam roller curls, or a buns/updos. Makes it easier to deal with the new growth. And I only comb my hair in the shower or when it's slathered with conditioner.

If your reason for wanting to relax now is because of breakage, I'd definitely relax...otherwise, I'd stretch for the following reasons (hopefully, these will encourage /images/graemlins/smile.gif): the longer you stretch this time, the longer you will likely be able to stretch next time and pretty soon, you might be down to 3-4 relaxers each year; the longer you stretch, the more new growth you will feel you have gained, which is always encouraging; and you have more time to play in your new growth...or is that just me /images/graemlins/look.gif? Anyway, good luck /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[ QUOTE ]
If your reason for wanting to relax now is because of breakage, I'd definitely relax...otherwise, I'd stretch for the following reasons (hopefully, these will encourage /images/graemlins/smile.gif): the longer you stretch this time, the longer you will likely be able to stretch next time and pretty soon, you might be down to 3-4 relaxers each year; the longer you stretch, the more new growth you will feel you have gained, which is always encouraging; and you have more time to play in your new growth...or is that just me /images/graemlins/look.gif? Anyway, good luck /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope Dreams /images/graemlins/nono.gif, me too. I love my new growth. I think it's so pretty, it's dark, super shiny and the waves are so deep. To get over it already, I started back w/wearing twist-outs. My flat twisting skills have really improved, so when I take them out in the morning you would swear I had just spiral curled my whole head! I can keep them for 3-4 days too w/o setting or gel products. The longer I keep them the more natural they start to look and I don't have to do anything to maintain them. And it takes all the attention away from my differing textures.

Now if your hair is suffering, breaking, etc. from prolonging then by all means relax, but if it's just operating on a norm... let it go and find new ways to style.

I am one who typically needs a relaxer every 5 weeks without fail. But now that I am washing it 2 to 3 times weekly and using hot treatments and conditioners - all the tips I'm learning from this forum, my hair is not requiring a relaxer so often. Granted I am new to this forum, but the results have been dramatic.

I don't use heat on my hair, and when it starts feeling "crispy" I wash it immediately, always with a preshampoo oil treatment for detangling.

Carol's Daughter has a healthy hair butter that has worked wonders for me in the past. I put that on generously and gently brush with a baby soft brush. Once I did that and went to my stylist because it was "time" for my relaxer. She put down the comb and said "what did you do?" I told her about the hair butter, and she said I didn't need a relaxer then and to come back later. I experienced NO, NO breakage as a result. My hair is I guess 3c to 4a. I hope this helps you! /images/graemlins/antlers.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I am one who typically needs a relaxer every 5 weeks without fail.

Carol's Daughter has a healthy hair butter that has worked wonders for me in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is me as well with the 5 weeks thing. I am at 6 weeks now and did a twist-set (braid out) and I used the healthy hair butter and my roots were MUCH softer. I was like ooohh. And I have been letting this stuff sit in the fridge for nothing.

Audra, I think you have a beautiful head of hair and should try to hold off since you aren't experience any breakage.

I say hold off for as long as you can. I am at 8 weeks and I don't think I ever went this long before I went natural. I'm going to week 12 even though my left side was underprocessed and I have about 2"+ growth on that side...lol. After I fix that area I plan on going 4 months since my hair doesn't grow that fast to warrant a relaxer every 8-12 weeks. I say if you can manage it without it breaking then keep going otherwise relax it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

OKAY SO I CAVED!! I came in this evening and my roller case and the tub of relaxer were staring me down *lol* So, I relaxed my front and for the back heavily based & coated, then barely hit the roots. As for my roller set, it was like the /images/graemlins/angel.gif /images/graemlins/angel.gif HEAVENS OPENED /images/graemlins/angel.gif /images/graemlins/angel.gif!! --- No grunt at the root! Thanks for the input ladies.

Back