HELP! WHY IS LYE MAKING MY HAIR MATTED?

MissHoney26

I switched to lye and have been using it for about 6 months now. I started out with mild, but that didn't work for me. So now I've been using the formula for coarse hair and it's still not straight enough to my liking. My ends are from using no lye, then I have the texlaxed hair from the lye, and my new growth. Is it really this hard to deal with all these textures? How do you ladies that switched to lye deal with this? I have 4b/c hair and I've seen other ladies with my hair type get really good results with using lye successfully. Parts of my hair have been matted/locked in the roots and I had to put loads of moisturizer and oil on it and pick them out with my fingers. I really wanted to stick with lye because it has my hair feeling more moisturized, but I might switch back to no lye. I miss combing it with ease and having little to no breakage, but I know if I don't do something soon then my hair will eventually break off at the demarcation line because that's where it matts up the most :nono: Any suggestions?

There are a few ladies with resistant hair who wash their hair days before relaxing and they get a better process that way. Sistaslick wrote an article suggesting clarifying the hair a few days prior; to ensure there is no buildup which can cause under-processing.

Another possiblity could be application. How long do you leave the relaxer on and how much time do you spend smoothing? You may have to do more smoothing.

You may have to do a corrective if you don't want the texlaxed texture. In the mean time, detangle your hair gently and only when its lubricated with water/conditioner/oil. Basically, treat it like you're still stretching. Increasing the moisture with more frequent DCs and/or cowashing can help; along with a few protein tx to maintain balance. Also using 'wet' leave-ins like S-curl help keep the hair moist and manageable.

I hope that helps you some.

sometimes I'll get those locks....a tiny block sections are all clumped together.

In my case...they are not necessarily clumped...by those tiny sections are all over my head because i'm texlaxed so after I wash my hair...my hair/ends will curl up, thus since relaxing...the different groups of texlaxed hair tends to goes all the way up to the roots making different sections on my roots.
The pic of how my roots look after a relaxer. IS THIS WAT U MEAN?

38_2.JPG

Thanks so much for the replies! I'm really too afraid to go back to lye because I still have no lye ends and trying to deal with all those textures might do more harm than good :/ What kind of acidiying conditioner do you suggest? & Missi my roots/demarcation line feels like it's trying to lock, almost like dreads! I'm low mani and only comb 1x a week. On wash day my roots feel very moisturized, but I don't think the wide tooth comb is getting it detangled like it should be, because after I let my hair air dry my roots just shrink up and get matted again. It's not all over my head, but moreso in the middle where my hair is more coarse.

I have been using Lye for the last 8 months and I too have noticed that matting is becoming more and more of a frequent problem. If I'm gonna lose more hair with all the matting I might aswell go back to no lye

Great Thread!:grin:

The Exact same for me. I have been having this problem as well since using MBB Lye. The Matting, the Locking, the Single Strand Knots (and underprocessing are becoming unbearable). Not to mention the Detangling at 6-7+ Weeks Post.:nono: What a Nightmare:blush:

Trying to decide if I should switch to another Lye Brand. Although, several Ladies have suggested that I switch to No-Lye. Not sure if I want to do that.:perplexed

I do use an Acidifying Conditioner weekly as a Final Rinse and I DC with Steam, still these problems described in this thread persist.:sad:

The problems mentioned above and getting the best of me & my HHJ, so Imma hafta' figure out something soon.:ohwell:

Will be following this thread. Thanks Again.:yep:

Don't be scared of the no lye, as long as you chelate regularly you won't have any problems with dryness. :) Although it might be worth you trying another lye brand before you take such a step.

Cream Tee

Thanks Girl.:yep: Another Poster suggested MBB No-Lye. I am still unsure what to do.

I was looking at Affirm or Syntonics or maybe MBB for Coarse & Resistant?

You may need to detangle more often, especially before shampooing/relaxing, not sure what you use to DC but using very moisturizing conditioners with lots of slip are the best. Also some of.us cannot detangle with only a wide tooth comb,we have to follow up with a smaller tooth comb, not too fine though.

Thanks so much for the replies! I'm really too afraid to go back to lye because I still have no lye ends and trying to deal with all those textures might do more harm than good :/ What kind of acidiying conditioner do you suggest? & Missi my roots/demarcation line feels like it's trying to lock, almost like dreads! I'm low mani and only comb 1x a week. On wash day my roots feel very moisturized, but I don't think the wide tooth comb is getting it detangled like it should be, because after I let my hair air dry my roots just shrink up and get matted again. It's not all over my head, but moreso in the middle where my hair is more coarse.

You said earlier that your texture is in the 4b/c range and texlaxed. This means that you still have quite a bit of coil left in your hair - and they're small coils. Wide toothed combs work to detangle larger curls they don't detangle small coils, and - if you only comb tightly coiled hair once/week your hair is going to think you're giving it permission to lock - this will happen even if it's slightly relaxed. All conditioners are acidifying - or you can use plain ole vinegar (any kind, apple cider, regular, whatever you have in the house).

If you don't want to grow free form locks then detangle from root to tip (well ends to roots) each time you wash your hair and use a smaller toothed comb or a vent brush. It goes without saying that you do it gently.

You can switch back and forth between lye and no-lye relaxers with no issue - the only thing that you're not supposed to do is put lye/no-lye on top of ammonium thioglycolate based perms.

This is helpful. I have been having the same problem. I didnt have this problem when I used Motions. I am having this after using the Mizani for about 6 months. Most of the matting is in the back with have no little no "no-lye" ends. I have a short cut that I've been growing out in April, the back was shaved. it's gets dry and matts terrible back there.

I spent so much on the the motions and it does a processes better than the motions, but after the 6 week the matting and dryness starts. Maybe I to start conditioning washing and DC 2x week from 6 weeks on. I do notice when I spray Scurl on it and top with an creme moisturizer then hot curl- my hair feels nice, smooth and it "behaves" by not shrinking.

Thank you for this thread it was very informative.

My hair got matted following a protein treatment with Aphogee on Tuesday. I found slathering in Hawaiian Silky helped to detangle the matting which would have otherwise had to be chopped out. No more aphogee for me again! I also have a lye relaxer with no lye ends - may go back to no lye for ease

My hair got matted following a protein treatment with Aphogee on Tuesday. I found slathering in Hawaiian Silky helped to detangle the matting which would have otherwise had to be chopped out. No more aphogee for me again! I also have a lye relaxer with no lye ends - may go back to no lye for ease

brittle_hair

That's what I am being advised to do too re:bolded) . Not sure yet. I think I may do 1 more Lye to finish up the Tub of MBB I have and then make my decision this Spring or Next Relaxer.

I think its the mizani butter blends cause I've used tht for my last 4 touch ups and its left me underprocessed leading to the same matting u guys r describing. I think 4 my next relaxer in Jan. Imma try a differnt lye relaxer b4 I go back to lye even though lye had my hair thinning. What helps the matting for me though is a dc on dry hair

brittle_hair

That's what I am being advised to do too re:bolded) . Not sure yet. I think I may do 1 more Lye to finish up the Tub of MBB I have and then make my decision this Spring or Next Relaxer.

I still have a couple of tubs to use too but I'm due a relaxer next week at 9 weeks post, so may cross over very soon. Hopefuly it won't do any damage or compromise the thickness I have gained with lye.

I think its the mizani butter blends cause I've used tht for my last 4 touch ups and its left me underprocessed leading to the same matting u guys r describing. I think 4 my next relaxer in Jan. Imma try a differnt lye relaxer b4 I go back to lye even though lye had my hair thinning. What helps the matting for me though is a dc on dry hair

miss stress

I think you meant "No-Lye"

I may try Affirm or Syntonics first. But I will only get a small Jar --- Not a 4lb Tub like I have/had of the MBB.

I still have a couple of tubs to use too but I'm due a relaxer next week at 9 weeks post, so may cross over very soon. Hopefuly it won't do any damage or compromise the thickness I have gained with lye.

brittle_hair

I have the last of my 4 lb Tub. Enough for 1-2 Relaxers. But I'll use it one more time and then decide.

When I do my mom's touch up I use Roux 2 Phase it has a ph of 2.5 and it helps a lot.

This is a good post, thanks OP.

I have been dealing with matting for a while as well. I dread washing my hair because it feels like wet cardboard and sticks together, and rollersetting is a nightmare!

I only use Mizani, but I swear this post is right on time because I have been thinking about switching to another lye relaxer (Fiberguard or Nairobi) but I'm scurred :lool:

Come to think of it, I used to use ORS no lye back in the day and I don't ever remember my hair being this tangly and velcro feeling.

It's interesting that most of you are using the Mizani (MBB). I used it once and I knew I couldn't continue using it. It's a shame as I'm nervous to try other lye relaxers now.

This is a good post, thanks OP.

I have been dealing with matting for a while as well. I dread washing my hair because it feels like wet cardboard and sticks together, and rollersetting is a nightmare!

I only use Mizani, but I swear this post is right on time because I have been thinking about switching to another lye relaxer (Fiberguard or Nairobi) but I'm scurred :lool:

Come to think of it, I used to use ORS no lye back in the day and I don't ever remember my hair being this tangly and velcro feeling.

DesiRae

See......:nono: And you 'do hair' for Real.:perplexed

It's interesting that most of you are using the Mizani (MBB). I used it once and I knew I couldn't continue using it. It's a shame as I'm nervous to try other lye relaxers now.

Cream Tee

I was just thinking this....:rolleyes: re: Bolded.

I wonder if it is the Mizani. Motions would underprocess but I don't remember this problem. I am having the most problems in the back. When I examined it today, that part is most underprocessed. I don't know if thats from the length( about inch and half) or that I don't put as much relaxer int he back near my nape.

I am going to do a corrective relaxer today and see what happens back there. I refuse to go back to no-lye. Although I used no lye up until I was about 18. Now, my hair thins out from it. The no lye parts of my hair are constantly breaking despite deep conditions and protein treatments. I have mostly fine, but medium hair and the no lye eats it up, esp. if over processed.

I can over process with the lye and I retain moisture, strength and thickness.

I wish I didn't have this big tub of Mizani lol. It will take me like year before it runs out. I don't think its damaging my hair, and its not matting, but shrinking. So I will stick with it and try to find a good method for these dilemmas.

I can't wait until I can put all my hair in a bun, so that def. solve this problem.

I did my last touch up about 2 weeks ago with ORS no-lye. I couldn't take it anymore! I added extra olive oil to it though because I don't want my hair bone straight. My hair couldn't feel any better! I followed my next 2 washes after the relaxer with a chelating shampoo and my hair is having no problem w/ holding moisture. Another thing I failed to do before a wash was detangling so that was causing a problem as well as only trying to use a wide tooth comb from root to tip. I will upgrade to a bone comb soon too. Thanks for the informative post everyone!

MissHoney26

Glad u found a solution. Did you put the no lye over your already underprocessed hair as a corrective or did you do the new growth?

I usually don't have a problem with no lye during the first 4 weeks, then overtime the hair doesnt retain moisture even with care. I hope it works out for you.

MissHoney26

Glad u found a solution. Did you put the no lye over your already underprocessed hair as a corrective or did you do the new growth?

I usually don't have a problem with no lye during the first 4 weeks, then overtime the hair doesnt retain moisture even with care. I hope it works out for you.

I relaxed the new growth only and even though I put conditioner on my ends I think the run off from the no lye will help w/ the underprocessed hair, but I still may go back and do a corrective at my next touch up. & I hope it works out for me this time! The last time I was using no lye I didn't know about chelating or porosity control and etc.. I think that's why my hair would feel so dry.

I have also given up and returned to No lye, I got a relaxer yesterday and got it done at the salon rather than self-relaxing because I got to the point where I was so over doing my own hair because of the matting. I have so missed how easy my no lye hair is to deal with, It certainly doesn't have the thickness of lye but that's nothing a rollerset won't solve. I'd rather have hair that stays on my head without matting and tangling.

@Shinka you are completely right it's after the 4 week period with no-lye where it may start to look dryer etc.. but as MissHoney26 mentioned chelating and PC will hopefully help to combat any issues. Plus nothing i expereinced with no lye has ever been as bad as the matting I recently exerienced with Lye.

Last edited:
I have also given up and returned to No lye, I got a relaxer yesterday and got it done at the salon rather than self-relaxing because I got to the point where I was so over doing my own hair because of the matting. I have so missed how easy my no lye hair is to deal with, It certainly doesn't have the thickness of lye but that's nothing a rollerset won't solve. I'd rather have hair that stays on my head without matting and tangling.

@Shinka you are completely right it's after the 4 week period with no-lye where it may start to look dryer etc.. but as MissHoney26 mentioned chelating and PC will hopefully help to combat any issues. Plus nothing i expereinced with no lye has ever been as bad as the matting I recently exerienced with Lye.

brittle_hair

>>This is where I am.<<

The matting, locking, tangling, knotting is wayyyy to intense to handle.:nono:

Quite Frankly, I don't have the Stomach for it anymore. It's starting to gross me out. Especially when I pull out a wad of matted hair.:blush:

I will be trying Mizani Sensitive Scalp No-Lye in another 2-3 weeks.

I think: Stretching, Chelating, Porosity Control & Knowledge will all help combat any potential problems.

Back