HELP! WHY IS LYE MAKING MY HAIR MATTED?

I have also given up and returned to No lye, I got a relaxer yesterday and got it done at the salon rather than self-relaxing because I got to the point where I was so over doing my own hair because of the matting. I have so missed how easy my no lye hair is to deal with, It certainly doesn't have the thickness of lye but that's nothing a rollerset won't solve. I'd rather have hair that stays on my head without matting and tangling.

@Shinka you are completely right it's after the 4 week period with no-lye where it may start to look dryer etc.. but as MissHoney26 mentioned chelating and PC will hopefully help to combat any issues. Plus nothing i expereinced with no lye has ever been as bad as the matting I recently exerienced with Lye.
Shinka, just curious, why would hair be/get dry after the 4 week period? Is that from NG, or from the no-lye?

and brittle_hair Thank you for replying to my thread:yep:. My hair is texlaxed /v underprocessed (but with no-lye). I’m actually gonna start relaxing straighter though.
I can relate to you guys with the clumping, tangling, nightmares from rollersets though!

brittle_hair

>>This is where I am.<<

The matting, locking, tangling, knotting is wayyyy to intense to handle.:nono:

Quite Frankly, I don't have the Stomach for it anymore. It's starting to gross me out. Especially when I pull out a wad of matted hair.:blush:

I will be trying Mizani Sensitive Scalp No-Lye in another 2-3 weeks.

I think: Stretching, Chelating, Porosity Control & Knowledge will all help combat any potential problems.

Yep, best to do it sooner rather than later to minimise the loss

Shinka, just curious, why would hair be/get dry after the 4 week period? Is that from NG, or from the no-lye?

and brittle_hair Thank you for replying to my thread:yep:. My hair is texlaxed /v underprocessed (but with no-lye). I’m actually gonna start relaxing straighter though.
I can relate to you guys with the clumping, tangling, nightmares from rollersets though!

Yeh, i don't think texlaxing works for every type of hair.

I find that the perm effect is best the first 2 weeks as far as straightness. After that it starts to thicken and I notice by the 4th weeK more dryness and hardness despite reg. Deep conditioning. No lye i think is too harsh for my fine to medium strands. Its my no lye ends that tangle. My lye roots shrink.

I just want tocut it off but i may just get some braids. However that solution ruinsmy edges. Pressing with curlung helps. My hair when wet is not easy to work with and all the shedding worries me. The thickness is somuch prettier.

Bump this thread

any other ladies switched back to no lye, im thinking over doing this at the end of the month for the same exact reason stated here. I thought the lye was gentler on the hair, but my hair definately seem to have become"rougher" since switching a few months ago. I have up'd my dc's but I still dont get the sleek feeling that i once got when using no lye..

Bump this thread

any other ladies switched back to no lye, im thinking over doing this at the end of the month for the same exact reason stated here. I thought the lye was gentler on the hair, but my hair definately seem to have become"rougher" since switching a few months ago. I have up'd my dc's but I still dont get the sleek feeling that i once got when using no lye..

I ended up ending my stint with MBB Lye and relaxed the Mid November with MBB No-Lye.

Best decision I've made in 2010 (for me & my hair goals).

I feel my progress would be far greater, if I hadn't spent the entire 2010 trying to deal with my Lye Severely Underprocessed Hair.:nono:

I bought a Chelating Shampoo (Joico) and won't look back. Hopefully, I can make up for lost time this winter and be back where I was by Spring.:ohwell:

Thanks so much for the response IDT.. Did you do a corrective or did you just process your new growth??

I did the Corrective (had to:ohwell:). Next time I will just process the new growth. My hair was so matted, knotted, tangled -- NG wrapping around relaxed hair it was a MESS!:blush:

All week, I tried to comb through it, applied coconut Oil to previously relaxed as well as a little Silk Protein spritz.

I also started 'lightly basing' like 2 days before.:lol:

The girl that did the corrective asked me "when was the last time I had combed my hair?":lol: I said "Today:blush:".................:look:

She was very gentle (considering), but said she had to process to the ends (this time), so I had to Roll With It.:perplexed

It processed very fast. Much faster than the Lye which prolly could sit on there until New Years and still not get straight.:lol:

Now that I know what I know, and have bought a Chelating Shampoo (as a precaution to the said effects of No-Lye) I hope to be fine.:yep:

Ok, sounds good once again thanks again!! My hair is so underprocessed but also rough and whats so funny, my cousin tried to run her hands thru my hair admiring my length and guess what, hand got stuck thats how rough it is no exxageration, smh.. I definately need to do this next time around.. I may go to the salon just to make sure it gets done correctly, i ususally am a self relaxer but I dont want to take any chances..

I did the Corrective (had to:ohwell:). Next time I will just process the new growth. My hair was so matted, knotted, tangled -- NG wrapping around relaxed hair it was a MESS!:blush:

All week, I tried to comb through it, applied coconut Oil to previously relaxed as well as a little Silk Protein spritz.

The girl that did the corrective asked me "when was the last time I had combed my hair?":lol: I said "Today:blush:".................:look:

She was very gentle (considering), but said she had to process to the ends (this time), so I had to Roll With It.:perplexed

It processed very fast. Much faster than the Lye which prolly could sit on there until New Years and still not get straight.:lol:

Now that I know what I know, and have bought a Chelating Shampoo (as a precaution to the said effects of No-Lye) I hope to be fine.:yep:

I had to do this too. I had to condition the hell out of my hair after that for my own piece of mind, but I've not had any problems since! :yep:

Wait, so you did the no-lye corrective over the lye?

I just switched back to no-lye, after 3 dang years of lye. My lye hair looked so rough, and yes it tangled and matted. So, I relaxed with the CON no lye Argan oil relaxer and for the first time ever my hair got straight from a relaxer. My roots are bone straight :blush:- and here I was thinking my hair was resistant. It's actually a little too straight. I would have been so much farther along had I done this switch earlier.

I did notice that no lye runoff straightened out the lye hair a smidge- just didnt know if you could do a corrective with no lye over lye.

Wait, so you did the no-lye corrective over the lye?

I just switched back to no-lye, after 3 dang years of lye. My lye hair looked so rough, and yes it tangled and matted. So, I relaxed with the CON no lye Argan oil relaxer and for the first time ever my hair got straight from a relaxer. My roots are bone straight :blush:- and here I was thinking my hair was resistant. It's actually a little too straight. I would have been so much farther along had I done this switch earlier.

I did notice that no lye runoff straightened out the lye hair a smidge- just didnt know if you could do a corrective with no lye over lye.

I'm glad I didn't try to make it work for 3 years.:look: Brownie, Cream Tee, Americka tried to talking me into switching to No-Lye over 6 months ago:perplexed

And I kept trying to make it work.:nono: Plus I had a 4lb Tub of MBB that I was determined to finish up. (Which after the No-Lye Corrective) I was more than happy to throw the rest of that Tub in the Trash:lol:

She didn't leave it on long at all (on the previously relaxed hair). I was watching her.:look:

T- I also noticed the no lye processed F-A-S-T too. The lye not so much.

I know Girl. I almost forgot how straight hair looked (on me). Everybody thought I was natural.:yep:

I'm glad I didn't try to make it work for 3 years.:look: Brownie, Cream Tee, Americka tried to talking me into switching to No-Lye over 6 months ago:perplexed

And I kept trying to make it work.:nono: Plus I had a 4lb Tub of MBB that I was determined to finish up. (Which after the No-Lye Corrective) I was more than happy to throw the rest of that Tub in the Trash:lol:

She didn't leave it on long at all (on the previously relaxed hair). I was watching her.:look:

I know Girl. I almost forgot how straight hair looked (on me). Everybody thought I was natural.:yep:

Seriously though...I was so caught up in the "your not supposed to switch". Same with me, I got some chelating poo and it's on! Might I add I had my most successful airdry ever last night.

Seriously though...I was so caught up in the "your not supposed to switch". Same with me, I got some chelating poo and it's on!

Might I add I had my most successful airdry ever last night.

Girl, I weighed my Options and I felt the "Lye" was actually starting to do me more harm than good.:look: @1st bolded.

Glad I made the Switch. I am looking for the best 2011 Ever!:grin:

I feel like everything has been more 'successful' since I made the Switch!:grin:

@2nd bolded.

Back