HELP! SO vanished after Party: Red Flag?

sereia

Hi to all of you ladies, I would greatly appreciate your help because I honestly don´t know if I am tripping:

Here it is: I have been with my SO for almost 2 years. We do not live together. It has been a rocky relationship, especially the first year was really with a lot of fights and misunderstandings. After that it has become better although lately we do not see each other often, maybe 1-2 x/week. One thing is that we hardly have “relations”, I don´t remember if we had it this year. :scratchch I never really desired him and he stopped seducing me.
He has a daughter of 7 years. A week ago he stood me up to go to her mother´s place and help her with her homework. He felt that mom could not deal with her own daughter. I was very upset about that because the girl was mostly raised solely by her mother and lives with her so I guess that she knows and can handle her daughter. I feel that he spoils her too much. To him, she is never wrong and by far the most important person in his life although he denies it. He apologized afterwards and everything was back to normal, until last weekend.

There was a big annual festival in my city which I really enjoy (carnival of the cultures – love it! Don´t miss it if you are in Berlin at springtime ). We had attended it together the last two years, except for a big Bolivian party where he meets a lot of friends (he is Bolivian btw). I let him have his fun then. He called me on Saturday afternoon and said that he would meet his friend later. I did not hear from him again until 4 p.m. next afternoon.
That night I send him a sweet “Good night”-message which he did not answer. This is really unusual because it is a ritual for us to always phone or text before going to sleep. We did that even when one of us goes to bed late.
Sunday is the main day of the festival. There was a big parade and everybody and their momma attended. I wanted to go with him and he knew that. Because I heard nothing from Mr. Invisible, I went with friends. Then I got a message saying that he was still home and had to sleep. I didn´t bother to reply because I was pissed.
During the parade I met his party-buddy who was surprised that SO was not with me. Of course I asked what had happened last night. He answered evasive and reluctantly that the party did not end very late and they had split then.
So I ask myself what to think or do now. A part of me sees it as a huge disrespect and the last straw to end it. Another part does not want to throw away the relationship and the connection and intimacy that we built.

What do you think about the situation? Did anyone make similar experiences?
Thank you!

you've been together two years, the first year wasn't good, and in this second year you're not seeing a lot of each other and you can't remember the last time yall were together sexually (but it's considered a part of your relationship)...

i'm not seeing any connection or intimacy that needs to be saved....

add to it, he's finding reasons not to spend time with you and you don't like the relationship that he has with his daughter or her mother...

i think it's time to move on....

Hi to all of you ladies, I would greatly appreciate your help because I honestly don´t know if I am tripping:

Here it is: I have been with my SO for almost 2 years. We do not live together. It has been a rocky relationship, especially the first year was really with a lot of fights and misunderstandings. After that it has become better although lately we do not see each other often, maybe 1-2 x/week. One thing is that we hardly have “relations”, I don´t remember if we had it this year. :scratchch I never really desired him and he stopped seducing me.
He has a daughter of 7 years. A week ago he stood me up to go to her mother´s place and help her with her homework. He felt that mom could not deal with her own daughter. I was very upset about that because the girl was mostly raised solely by her mother and lives with her so I guess that she knows and can handle her daughter. I feel that he spoils her too much. To him, she is never wrong and by far the most important person in his life although he denies it. He apologized afterwards and everything was back to normal, until last weekend.

There was a big annual festival in my city which I really enjoy (carnival of the cultures – love it! Don´t miss it if you are in Berlin at springtime ). We had attended it together the last two years, except for a big Bolivian party where he meets a lot of friends (he is Bolivian btw). I let him have his fun then. He called me on Saturday afternoon and said that he would meet his friend later. I did not hear from him again until 4 p.m. next afternoon.
That night I send him a sweet “Good night”-message which he did not answer. This is really unusual because it is a ritual for us to always phone or text before going to sleep. We did that even when one of us goes to bed late.
Sunday is the main day of the festival. There was a big parade and everybody and their momma attended. I wanted to go with him and he knew that. Because I heard nothing from Mr. Invisible, I went with friends. Then I got a message saying that he was still home and had to sleep. I didn´t bother to reply because I was pissed.
During the parade I met his party-buddy who was surprised that SO was not with me. Of course I asked what had happened last night. He answered evasive and reluctantly that the party did not end very late and they had split then.
So I ask myself what to think or do now. A part of me sees it as a huge disrespect and the last straw to end it. Another part does not want to throw away the relationship and the connection and intimacy that we built.

Thank you!

Why should he deny this. His daughter should be the most important person in his life especially if she is a minor. His first responsibility is to take care of the child he created.

you've been together two years, the first year wasn't good, and in this second year you're not seeing a lot of each other and you can't remember the last time yall were together sexually (but it's considered a part of your relationship)...

add to it, he's finding reasons not to spend time with you and you don't like the relationship that he has with his daughter or her mother...

ITA with the bold. Why are you with him? Are you getting everything out of the relationship that you want and need? Do you want things to continue as they are? Doesn't sound like much of a relationship to me. It's obvious you're not a main priority. What man can go without having sex for 4 months? You sure he ain't getting it from somewhere else?

Sorry but it sounds like you are not that important to him. Have you all had any talks and explanation as to why you don't see each other or have "relations"?

Thank you!

I know you said it was a rocky first year....but has it still been a little:perplexed even after learning about each other? I'm asking you this because we as women tend to make excuses when the obvious has been made quite clear. I was always told to take in consideration the actions of a man I dated verses what he tells me. You know your man better than any of us. I do think that you should have a talk with him to see where his head is...and go from there.

I've been in a relationship that was rocky for 4 years:spinning:....needless to say that did not work out. Though I wanted it to, but I learned that you can't be in a relationship alone. If you are the only one making the effort to make things work, then it's not worth it. I had all the signs in front of me (changes in behavior, broken dates,etc.) but I chose to look past them...I was trying to read into it, instead of being like, "He's on BS...NEXT!!!!" I've learned my lesson now though.:yep:

You need to put him on the "G-O". I'm not sure what intimacy you are trying to save but it sounds like he's already let the relationship go and you should do the same...

agree.. there is nothing that needs to be saved

I agree with all the ladies and I strongly urge you to keep your planner open for a man that has the time for you. No relations since '08 started?! Egads!

co-sign. personally, i stopped reading after you said you couldn't remember if you'd had sex this year/you didn't desire him. the ending of this relationship is long over-due; the red-flags were apparent ages ago. i couldn't tell you what to do but if this were me i would have been long gone.

eta (so i read on after posting :look:): since he's not even married to you, i think it's more than acceptable for his daughter to be the most important thing in his life. when you date someone with children, i think you have to accept the fact that if that person is a good parent, their children could (and should) be held as more important than you. if you don't like it and are prone to jealously regarding that, the solution is simple: do not date someone with children.

Last edited:
I agree with the other ladies...you obviously don't desire him physically and you have only been together 2 years.

You're worth a lot more than this :yep:
You deserve being in love and being loved, you deserve lust and respect and all of that :)

And since you're not married, his first priority should be his daughter. :yep:

I just know you can do better than this.

Thank you!

OP, no offense but I can tell that you aren't a mother. There is no way that you should have a problem with him having a relationship with his child. Just because her mother has raised her solely thusfar doesn't mean that she should continue to do so and it doesn't make it right. Maybe that's the reason that he stood you up; he wanted to spend precious time with his child without opposition from you.

Now, on to the matter at hand....

It seems that the relationship lacks trust, understanding, consideration and passion. That leaves a lot to be desired. Trust your instincts on this one.

Last edited:
Dont make him a priority, if you are only an option to him.

Also, he should make his daughter a priority, That is what MORE fathers need to do. He does get a little credit for that.

Maybe next time, you should hook up with someone who is childless, or who has grown children (just a thought)

co-sign. personally, i stopped reading after you said you couldn't remember if you'd had sex this year/you didn't desire him. the ending of this relationship is long over-due; the red-flags were apparent ages ago. i couldn't tell you what to do but if this were me i would have been long gone.

eta (so i read on after posting :look:): since he's not even married to you, i think it's more than acceptable for his daughter to be the most important thing in his life. when you date someone with children, i think you have to accept the fact that if that person is a good parent, their children could (and should) be held as more important than you. if you don't like it and are prone to jealously regarding that, the solution is simple: do not date someone with children.

I agree with all of the above, especially the part about kids. A child should be the most important person in a parent's life.

I do not date men with kids for my own personal reasons, and I would suggest you don't either if its going to cause problems for you in the future.

Thank you for reading through my long post! LOL
Wow, that is tough but thank you for your honesty and your insight!

I think that I am also to blame for the situation. I did not really work a lot on the relationship because I was often unsure about it.
He wanted me from the first time he saw me and treated me like a queen in the beginning so that´s why I chose him although I was not physically attracted. He was so much in love with me that sometimes I was even jealous, LOL. I only liked him as a friend first but then he conquered me.
The unequal physical attraction turns out to be more important than I thought. I think I am holding back unconsciously and not giving my best in nurturing the rlp. when I feel that he is not treating me as the prize.

The relationship is o.k., we like each other and have been through a lot. I will never forget how he supported me when my father died and SO flew with me to Belgium to bury him. He knows some things about me that nobody else knows.
I think I am not getting all I need but I don´t know if I am asking too much. I don’t want to burden him with all my needs. I am with him because I think that he is a great person. He is caring and generous to everybody surrounding him.

The main problem is that we are very different. We have worked out a lot of our problems i.e. his reluctance to communicate (he is not a talker and I am extroverted) but sometimes it is hard to understand each other.

The “absence-phase” began about half a year ago. In the beginning he always wanted to hang out but I tried to keep my space for my friends, me-time etc. Now the tables have slightly turned. He is mostly open to meet whenever I suggest it but passive to when it comes to initiate anything.

The relationship with babymomma is fine with me. With his daughter, it is a bit more complicated (and you are right: I am not a mother). I really like the girl and I am glad that he takes his role as a father seriously. But I want us to be of equal importance in his life. He spends a lot of his time with her which is o.k. for me. I often step back and I do understand that the needs of a child are very important but standing me up for something small that the mother can also take care of (IMO) was too much. Another example: I often asked him to speak Spanish with me (I am fluent but need practice) but he hardly does it. Only when his daughter visited he asked me to speak Spanish. He was even mad at his brother when he switched for ONE SENTENCE. Spanish is his mother-tongue, mind you.

About the sex (or lack thereof): I didn´t have any reason to distrust him. But who can be 100% sure?
First it was normal but about half a year into the relationship intercourse started being painful for me and no doctor could find out the reason. Don´t get me wrong, I get excited when he seduces me but I never feel like initiating it. He still desires me but does not really make a move to “light my fire”. Interestingly I had a dream last night about me sleeping with his (in reality non-existant) twin, who was very sexy to me.
Unfortunately he refuses to talk about this subject.

UPDATE
I just spoke with him and he said that he had replied to my text right away. I didn’t receive anything. What makes me worry even more is that he was on the festival, too, maybe 50 meters from me and he did not contact me although he knew that I was around! It was crowded so we didn´t see each other. Needless to say that he didn´t say goodnight that night either.

When I asked him why he had not contacted me he said that he wanted to do “his thing” and that he did not feel well. Before, I had expressed that I would like to meet him there, not necessarily exclusive. To him, I exaggerated.

I forgot to add that he blew my phone on Monday but I did not respond. I first wanted to clear my head before talking to him.
I don’t think that he mentally ended the rlp but the effort on both of our sides is lacking. He wants us to talk tomorrow.
I really have to think hard about what to do. I will definitely not date a father again but to break up just because of that would be difficult...
thank you for bearing with me :look: I never really spoke to anyone about all this.

Last edited:
I understand that right now you're confused about everything, but honestly, I think the fight is over. If you're not ready to end it...I'd suggest some type of couple's counseling. But otherwise, I think you two are outgrowing each other.

Thanks again for your open and honest answers, ladies! You really gave valuable insight.

We made up today. I was on the fence of ending the rlp but he is really willing to keep it and make it work so let´s see what happens.
Additionally, I think that I really have to work on my personal issues. We would benefit of counseling or communication training, too.
We are definitely not ready to break up now but I will keep watching the situation. I will try my best to create a positive atmosphere.

Last edited:
Back