Help!! Moisture needed!!

MochaKochaLatte

Hello, ladies of LHCF I am having a hair crisis, and I need your help.I having a problem with my hair retaining moisture. I mean I can put tons of moisturizer in my hair and it my hair will great for a while ,but after I go outside or unwrap my hair it's a dry mess again!!:sad: My hair type is 4a/4b and right now I have used ORS (in the bottle), Silk Elements leave in, Africa's pride leave in mayo, alma oil,coconut oil,(nothing has worked) and im gonna co wash it again,but im scared because I recently recieved a relaxer and I dont kno if its too soon. Anyways I was just wondering if you ladies had any suggestions, I would appreciate it greatly, cuz right now I just wanna chop my hair off and start again!!:wallbash:

Have you tired a clarifying poo?... sometimes it helps make your products work better again. Also if you are using leave ins and moisturizers with lots or moderate protiens in it it can make your hair dry and hard. I would use products with no protiens or verrrrry little if you are going to be leaving it on your hair daily. HTH

It looks like you are using mostly oils, not moisturizers containing water. Only water moisturizes.

Besides clarifying as Keeperathome mentioned, Porosity Control restores the hair to its porper pH which allows the hair to absorb and retain moisture. :)

In my experience, I have safely washed my hair two days after relaxing.

I agree with the ladies above!
Based on what you have stated, you are using protien based products as well as oils to moisturize you hair. Only water and based moisturizers moisturizes the hair. Oil acts as a sealant to seal in the moisture. Find a moisturizer that has water as the first ingredient, clarifying your hair, follow up with a moisturing conditioner (great ones are Kenra, ORS pak, elucence, Nexuss, KeraCare) dry as you normally would. Apply your water based moisturizer then add your coconut oil to seal. I hope this helps!
HHG:yep:

Have you tired a clarifying poo?... sometimes it helps make your products work better again. Also if you are using leave ins and moisturizers with lots or moderate protiens in it it can make your hair dry and hard. I would use products with no protiens or verrrrry little if you are going to be leaving it on your hair daily. HTH
Thanx, keeperathome.No I have not what kind would you recommend? That is good advice, I think i have been using products with lots of protein.

Thanx ladies, now all I have to do is find a good water based moisturizer, I already have the keracare and nexxus shampoos and conditioners.

So after you use your Keracare and Nexxus, try Jane Carter Solutions Nourish & Shine. I used to have the dryest hair...and now my hair is moisturized. It really penetrates the hair. And it's so good, that you don't even need to use it everyday! I only use it like twice a week. You won't be disappointed with this.

So after you use your Keracare and Nexxus, try Jane Carter Solutions Nourish & Shine. I used to have the dryest hair...and now my hair is moisturized. It really penetrates the hair. And it's so good, that you don't even need to use it everyday! I only use it like twice a week. You won't be disappointed with this.

LOVE this stuff!

Check the porosity of your hair as already mentioned. Otherwise no matter what you use, you hair isn't going to hold on to it. I like kenra moisturizing conditioner and Pantene mask when my hair is dry. Ever since getting my porosity under control and washing twice a week, my hair is not nearly as dry.

I had the same problem with my natural 4a/b hair. I tried a ton of different product and it was suggested that I try pure Glycerin and Water. I mixed 1:1 in a spray bottle and just sprayed some on at night and my hair is so moist and soft. Not to mention Glycerin is really inexpensive. I got about an 8oz bottle for $3.

Also try a pre-poo with EVOO, and honey. It's the bomb!!

Try it, I'm sure you will love it.

Since I live in the Midwest, I always have hair breakage in the nape area of my hair during the winter months. It grows well during the other season, but breaks off really low during the winter. I don't think that the collar of my coat is causing it to break. Any suggestions?? I usually apply Hawaiian Silk Moisturizer, Liv or Dudley's Hair and Scalp, but it is still dry and brittle. I usually cut my hair in a bob-style to conceal the damage but I really want my hair to grow. HELP! :perplexed

First, try clarifying your hair with a good clarifying shampoo (Elucence clarifying poo, mizani puriphyl poo, Nexxus aloe rid, or even Kenra clarifying poo - these are only examples of course) to remove excess buildup on the hair, just like the girls recommended earlier. Next use either Roux porosity control to put moisture balance back in the hair. If you don't have this then a good temporary porosity control is apple cider vinegar which helps to bring the Ph balance of your hair back in sync. To use this, simply mix 2oz ACV to each 8oz water and pour over hair after you're done poo-ing.

Then use a very good moisturizing conditioner and deep condition your hair for at least 45 minutes to an hour under medium heat under a hooded dryer. I use Mizani Moisturefuse or Kenra moisturizing conditioner, or Keracare Humecto, or Pantene Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense Hair Conditioning Mask.

Try not to use any other heat styling for a long while. Your hair does not need heat at this point as heat sucks out moisture from our hair like a vaccuum.. Air dry your hair as much as possible because this is your recovery stage. Remember, it is very important to clarify your hair at least once or twice a month especially if you are co-washing and using daily moisturizers regularly. These products build up and blocks the needed moisture to the hair shaft.

Also remember to deep condition the hair once a week or at least every 2 weeks if you can with a good moisturizing conditioner. This helps to retain the moisture your hair needs. Everytime you use a protein treatment of any kind, follow it up with a deep moisturizing conditioner to soften and restore moisture to the hair. Your hair's moisture level will be back in no time. Be patient with it and give it a lot a love.

Of course, you know if you need any further help, just come right back in here and ask, we will be more than happy to assist, right girls? We are all here to help each other.

Just a note of caution, our hair does not need a whole lot of protein conditioners but it does need a lot of moisture because it is dry. Use protein products if your hair is showing signs of excess breakage and stretch. Your hair could be sensitive to proteins. Watch it carefully as you go through your hair journey, okay?

Last edited:
This is my experience and I'm so pissed it's really hard to talk about it without feeling like a fool. I'm a natural and two weeks I went for my normal rollerset. Afterwards I felt my hair was not only dry but brittle. My hairdresser said nothing, but I took action myself.

With the help of so many people on this board, I decided to use Hask Protein/Henna mask that adds strength, improves porosity and has the additional benefit of adding thickness. I deep conditioned with this followed by Aphogee Mositurizing conditioner used with heat. I styled by rollersetting and then used the moisture/seal method recommended by so many on these boards. I used Mizani H20 Intense nightime moisturizer and sealed it with an essential oil blend. I noticed an immediate difference.

Went back to hairdresser this week and she remarked that my hair was SO much better now...that two weeks ago my hair so dry....yet she said nothing two weeks ago and didn't even make any recommendations. I was already pissed after I saw her pull a relaxer all the way through a woman that has really thin and dry hair. I was already saying to myself that I need a new hairdresser, but this sealed the deal. Also, before my rollerset this week, I self deep conditioned my hair. After the rollerset, I immediately applied a bit of the Mizani and then allowed her to seal with just a little bit of oil. I should also mention that I switched to "natural organic" shampoo that has no lauryl sterate or sulfate-- that stuff is really drying--again a recommedation by this board.

I STRONGLY recommend using Mizani H20 Night time moisturizer. A little goes a long way and you will feel an IMMEDIATE difference.

Last edited:
First, try clarifying your hair with a good clarifying shampoo (Elucence clarifying poo, mizani puriphyl poo, Nexxus aloe rid, or even Kenra clarifying poo - these are only examples of course) to remove excess buildup on the hair, just like the girls recommended earlier. Next use either Roux porosity control to put moisture balance back in the hair. If you don't have this then a good temporary porosity control is apple cider vinegar which helps to bring the Ph balance of your hair back in sync. To use this, simply mix 2oz ACV to each 8oz water and pour over hair after you're done poo-ing.

Then use a very good moisturizing conditioner and deep condition your hair for at least 45 minutes to an hour under medium heat under a hooded dryer. I use Mizani Moisturefuse or Kenra moisturizing conditioner, or Keracare Humecto, or Pantene Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense Hair Conditioning Mask.

Try not to use any other heat styling for a long while. Your hair does not need heat at this point as heat sucks out moisture from our hair like a vaccuum.. Air dry your hair as much as possible because this is your recovery stage. Remember, it is very important to clarify your hair at least once or twice a month especially if you are co-washing and using daily moisturizers regularly. These products build up and blocks the needed moisture to the hair shaft.

Also remember to deep condition the hair once a week or at least every 2 weeks if you can with a good moisturizing conditioner. This helps to retain the moisture your hair needs. Everytime you use a protein treatment of any kind, follow it up with a deep moisturizing conditioner to soften and restore moisture to the hair. Your hair's moisture level will be back in no time. Be patient with it and give it a lot a love.

Of course, you know if you need any further help, just come right back in here and ask, we will be more than happy to assist, right girls? We are all here to help each other.

Just a note of caution, our hair does not need a whole lot of protein conditioners but it does need a lot of moisture because it is dry. Use protein products if your hair is showing signs of excess breakage and stretch. Your hair could be sensitive to proteins. Watch it carefully as you go through your hair journey, okay?
Thanx aggie, I luvthe detail, im gonna print this out and do this immediately, thanx ladies for the all the help!

Back