HELP!! Still breaking!!!

Alisha08

I read Sistaslick's articles, did a protein treatment last Friday (8/10/07), I added moisture (Elasta QP Mango Butter AND ORS Carrot Oil) and I'm sealing everything with an oil (Ginseng Miracle Wonder 8 Oil) twice daily and my hair is STILL BREAKING when I wrap and unwrap it everyday!!! What is going wrong?? :nono: Help!!:sad::crying3:

I read Sistaslick's articles, did a protein treatment last Friday (8/10/07), I added moisture (Elasta QP Mango Butter AND ORS Carrot Oil) and I'm sealing everything with an oil (Ginseng Miracle Wonder 8 Oil) twice daily and my hair is STILL BREAKING when I wrap and unwrap it everyday!!! What is going wrong?? :nono: Help!!:sad::crying3:

What did you determine to be the cause of your breakage initially? A problem with protein? Or a moisture balance issue?

Also, your Elasta QP is not moisture based moisturizer. It is a protein based moisturizer.

What other products are you using (wash/deep condition)- how often, what does your heat use look like, and how are you styling your hair daily?

awwwwwwww i love my big sis!! go head sista slick. ummmmmmmmm but ppl swear by Aphogee's For Damaged Hair Treatment. In some stores it comes three in a pack (shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer). However from what you jus wrote do you think you are using too many protein products and not enough moisturizers? You have to balance out your protein and moisture or else your hair will break. Learned from the best. I use ORS carrot oil mixed with a little rosemary, lavender, ylang, and peppermint. Then seal in with jojoba oil. Try something new. I learned alot from my sis (uh hey girl lol)!!! stick by her....:grin:

What did you determine to be the cause of your breakage initially? A problem with protein? Or a moisture balance issue?

Also, your Elasta QP is not moisture based moisturizer. It is a protein based moisturizer.

What other products are you using (wash/deep condition)- how often, what does your heat use look like, and how are you styling your hair daily?

I didn't know that my mango butter was not a moisture based moisturizer....it works wonderful on my head and adds great moisture to my hair....I am confused now and off to read the difference btwn protein moisturizers and moisturizing moisturizers...hmmm or could it be possible that as long as I am not achieving breaking that my hair likes the protein moisturizer?!?!

I didn't know that my mango butter was not a moisture based moisturizer....it works wonderful on my head and adds great moisture to my hair....I am confused now and off to read the difference btwn protein moisturizers and moisturizing moisturizers...hmmm or could it be possible that as long as I am not achieving breaking that my hair likes the protein moisturizer?!?!

The Elasta QP one does contain silk proteins, and that along with its consistency, to me seem to give it more of a proteiny rather and soley moisturizing effect. In fact, I often use it just to seal other moisturizers.
I wouldn't use this product if I were trying to recover from a protein overload because its moisture is tempered with protein.

As long as you are not getting any breakage from it, don't stop using it girl! Being protein based or protein rich does not mean it still can't moisturize your hair-- it is just adding that element of protein along with the moisture. That is only a problem if you are breaking from too much protein, because a product like this would only aggravate that. :yep: Your hair may like or need the combo. If it didn't, you'd know it. :lachen:

Cantu and Profectiv both make protein based moisturizers, and I love them! For more moisture based or moisture rich moisturizers I stick with Organic root stimulator and Kenra Daily Provision. Luster's S-curl is another one.

I'm not going against the grain on this but you can apply all the product you want on your hair protein or not, and still have a breakage issue. :)

I would strongly suggest examining your diet, to see there is a nutrient deficiency. You can add protein product to your hair, but if you are lacking protein internally, then guess what you hair will still be weak. For moisture, you need to possibly increase your water intake and add some essential fatty acids to your diet via fish, nuts or supplement. When you are dehydrated, will just taking a shower rehydrate you? :nono: So, what do you do to rehydrate yourself? Drink water and fluids.

Clinically, all you need is 16g of protein in addition to your RDA. If you are not meeting your RDA then increase the 16g to 25 in one serving via soy protein drink. Try to stay on top of your vits, minerals and other supplements, doing so will help you tremendously. It's like having a preventative plan in place and in action.

Go run to the store and get yourself a bottle of Essential Fatty Acids (Omega 3-6-9) and being taking them daily. If you have some aloe vera laying around, the next time you wash your hair, so a aloe vera rinse to follow. Aloe Vera is a good natural way to stimulate growth and slow hair loss due to its anti-inflammatory contents.

If you pm me and can give you a recipe that should resolve any further breakage within a month time.

Also, reduce your heat for the moment. Reduce the amount of product your are using, you should only use a dime size amount of anything. Doing much more will create build up which can also cause breakage.

Yes, products are great! I love them. BUT, they are not the cure all for hair issues such as breakage, lack of protein, moisture, sheen, elasticity, etc. Once we come to understand this, we can achieve true healthy tresses.

Lastly, be patient and try not to stress, this may even been an upcoming fall time shedding cycle. :)

I'm not going against the grain on this but you can apply all the product you want on your hair protein or not, and still have a breakage issue. :)

I would strongly suggest examining your diet, to see there is a nutrient deficiency. You can add protein product to your hair, but if you are lacking protein internally, then guess what you hair will still be weak. For moisture, you need to possibly increase your water intake and add some essential fatty acids to your diet via fish, nuts or supplement. When you are dehydrated, will just taking a shower rehydrate you? :nono: So, what do you do to rehydrate yourself? Drink water and fluids.

Clinically, all you need is 16g of protein in addition to your RDA. If you are not meeting your RDA then increase the 16g to 25 in one serving via soy protein drink. Try to stay on top of your vits, minerals and other supplements, doing so will help you tremendously. It's like having a preventative plan in place and in action.

Go run to the store and get yourself a bottle of Essential Fatty Acids (Omega 3-6-9) and being taking them daily. If you have some aloe vera laying around, the next time you wash your hair, so a aloe vera rinse to follow. Aloe Vera is a good natural way to stimulate growth and slow hair loss due to its anti-inflammatory contents.

If you pm me and can give you a recipe that should resolve any further breakage within a month time.

Also, reduce your heat for the moment. Reduce the amount of product your are using, you should only use a dime size amount of anything. Doing much more will create build up which can also cause breakage.

Yes, products are great! I love them. BUT, they are not the cure all for hair issues such as breakage, lack of protein, moisture, sheen, elasticity, etc. Once we come to understand this, we can achieve true healthy tresses.

Lastly, be patient and try not to stress, this may even been an upcoming fall time shedding cycle. :)

Keclee23, your advice is spot on.:)

Last edited:
Keclee23, your advice is spot on.:) I, too, am an advocate of nutrition as being the basis for healthy hair. Using all of the products in the world won't cure stressed or damaged hair caused by poor nutrition.

ITA 100%, a body in poor health will put out poor quality hair. A change in diet is the best way in the long run to start fresh with hair coming in, but the hair she has on her head today isn't going to be helped at all by a change in diet. She's still got to treat the hair that's already been put out there.

She needs to figure out what is going on product wise to fix the breakage she's having now along the length. After hair's been pushed out, you can only work with cosmetic treatments to "repair" it from the day to day beating it is going to take just being there on your head. :lol: I agree with KeClee, it all works together. Because even with the best nutrition at the scalp level, the hair still has to survive once its nutrition has been cut off and it becomes the keratinized length you're working with on a daily basis. That is where product choice is crucial.

The Elasta QP one does contain silk proteins, and that along with its consistency, to me seem to give it more of a proteiny rather and soley moisturizing effect. In fact, I often use it just to seal other moisturizers.
I wouldn't use this product if I were trying to recover from a protein overload because its moisture is tempered with protein.

And this is why you rock. :lol: Girl info is right on target for me. A few days ago I was thinking "wow I really need to use some emergencee because of light breakage...." then I used QP just to smooth everything up (baggied and slapped on my lil pony) and it stopped. I never knew the reason why, I just knew my hair liked it. Thank you for explaining that.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone! Sistaslick, I didn't diagnose my hair with any particular problem in the first place because I wasn't doing either (protein or moisture). I'm going to try to lay off the protein based products so much, since i think I kind of overdid that. (when i comb it would crackle loudly and pop, then i'd look in the comb and have like a strand or two of hair) :blush: so i'm just going to stick to the moisture. And i'm also going to try to get a basic mulitvitamin, and some omega fatty acids along with hair stuff (thanks Keclee23).

I'm still trying to get the hang of this so i'm trying to build a concrete regimen up. Before the board I didn't have a set cycle of washing, moisturizing, etc., so I guess I'm still figuring things out. The only thing I did do consistently was wash with a drandruff shampoo (Selsen Blue or TGEl), conditioning shampoo, and then conditioned, but still even then (and still now) I only use heat when I wash my hair and I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear a wrap. (I don't know what else to do with it). So I just wanted to thank EVERYBODY for their input, I'm still learning. :yep:

I think wrapping is a lot of manipulation. I know its too much for my hair. You would probably see more breakage and shedding from wrapping.

You gave great information here! You are correct. All the products in the world can't help you if you aren't taking care of yourself from the inside out. Usually hair issues are directly linked to poor diets and other unhealthy habits :yep:.

Try the regular Queen Helene cholestorol deep conditioner for 15 to 20 minutes under a warm dryer with a plaastic cap. It always cures any breakage I have.hth

Also, what's so bad about wrapping?? I asked this on another thread before, and no one answered, so maybe you can shed a little light. lol

wrapping thins out your sides sometimes for some people. but i was telling to stop doing it for a while because more hair would come out because of the manipulation of wrapping. JMO

Also, what's so bad about wrapping?? I asked this on another thread before, and no one answered, so maybe you can shed a little light. lol

With regards to wrapping, it's really a to each it's own type of method. Some say it to too much manipulation and some don't.

For me, I wrap everyday. When I didn't, my ends were a mess and my hair was not sleek and smooth (if you get my drift). I feel like dead hair is going to fall regardless of how much or lack of manipulation there is. Not to sound harsh or anything. :)

Also, at one point during my wrapping history, I experienced soreness in my temple area, but I since learned that a) I was wrapping too tight and b) I needed to switch wrap sides every other day. Since then, I have been A-OK, Righty, Tighty. :wink2:

With regards to wrapping, it's really a to each it's own type of method. Some say it to too much manipulation and some don't.

For me, I wrap everyday. When I didn't, my ends were a mess and my hair was not sleek and smooth (if you get my drift). I feel like dead hair is going to fall regardless of how much or lack of manipulation there is. Not to sound harsh or anything. :)

Also, at one point during my wrapping history, I experienced soreness in my temple area, but I since learned that a) I was wrapping too tight and b) I needed to switch wrap sides every other day. Since then, I have been A-OK, Righty, Tighty. :wink2:

How you wrap all that hair up girl?

Back