Help!!! I want to switch from no-lye to lye

brickhouse

I am currently using Affirm fiberguard for sensitive scalp which is no-lye and I want to switch to Fiberguard with lye. I need to know should I have the stylist pull the relaxer to the ends to correct the no-lye and is this call a corrective relaxer? I have really been doing great since coming to this board and I am about 3 inches from bra strap and do not want to lose any length. Any advice please?

Ive switched from no-lye to lye before in the past with no problems. I think it causes problems if done in reverse, lye to no lye, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks DigitalRain, I know my Lhcf sisters would not let me down but what about pulling relaxer to the end of the no lye. Any advice please???

i used to always have no-lye perms and from this discussion board i realized what i should use is lye. but i went to the salon last saturday (vogue beauty college) and they told so much facts about lye perms and what they do. Since they all are professional stylists i highly believe what they say. They put an Optimum mild no-lye relaxer on top of the 2 previous motions lye relaxers. They said i would be fine, but to never go back to lye. My hair took the perm Great!! i was so scared my hair would fall out. They also recommended coming in ever week for deep conditioners until it was time for my next relaxer. The lye to No-lye switch did not harm my hair, its still long (bra strap) and doing great.

I would not overlap the chemical. If your hair was correctly processed just leave it alone and put the lye onto the newgrowth only.
Bronxbaby 87, I tried lye perms and they did not work for my hair so I went back to no-lye and am pleased with the results.

Thanks Bronxbaby87 and Umsumayyah. I really appreciate it. I learned from lhch that no lye actually de fats the scalp. I purchase Barry Fletcher's book entitled, "Why Black Women Are Losing Their Hair?" and he actually states that lye is better than no lye and he has pics of hair that has been processed with lye and hair that has been processed with no lye and the hair that has been processed with lye looks healthier.

Barry is right. Lye is better than no lye. Also, I agree with UmSumayyah, do not overlap the relaxer even if you are switching to lye.

I have a question, so what if you have underprocessed no-lye hair and switched to lye. Could you do a corrective relaxer with lye. This question might seem redundant, but I'm asking a different question. I hope it makes sense.

Thanks Supergirl. You are one of my hair inspirations. I just love showing your pics to everyone. In fact everyone on this board is an inspiration because they are taking responsibility and control of their own hair. I was a little nervous about switching to lye but I will go ahead and do it since I read all those negative things about no lye. I think stylist push no lye because that is almost the only ones that a lot of them carry.
laugh.gif

My hair was underprocessed because of the perm I used (meaning the brand),but I still saw a difference. My wasn't as dry as it usually is when I get a perm with no-lye.

I don't blame you. If you haven't experienced anything bad with the lye then, by all means keep using it. Do what works for you.

When I used no lye which was for years, my hair never had any sheen, no matter how much oil or sheen spray I would apply. It looked and felt bone dry. Even silicone glossers didnt provide any shine. My hair was also super dry and brittle. I don't have those problems at all with lye relaxers. I will never go back to no lye.

DigitalRain, may I ask what type of relaxer you are using and did you relax your ends while doing the switch?

I also made the switch and what I noticed was thicker hair after a relaxer. usually after a no-lye experience my hair would be somewhat matted down to my head for about the first week or two. After the lye it felt nice and thick and full of bounce. It didn't process bone straight and before finding this board I would have had a problem with that but now I've learned leaving some curl definition is good for the hair.
smile.gif

I just can't wait for all the no-lye parts of my hair to grow out so I can have a full healthy head of hair. Instead of the thin, dry hair I have know.

the first one I used was cream of nature reg. ((i've only used it twice)(It didn't burn me at all and I usally always burn with no-lye)I hear so many good things about affirm though, so I decided I have to buy the 4lb tub before my next relaxer. It seem like so many with long hair uses affirm, cathy howse, foxybronx, brownrelaxedhair,beana3, spagirl,Gldspoon and these are just to name a few.

Last week I switched from Optimum no-lye to Fiberguard lye with no problem. The relaxer was applied only to my new growth. I would never want to experiment with a "corrective relaxer." I know some people have had it done, but it sounds a little scary to me, especially as my already relaxed no-lye hair seems to be in good shape.

[ QUOTE ]
cary said:
Last week I switched from Optimum no-lye to Fiberguard lye with no problem. The relaxer was applied only to my new growth. I would never want to experiment with a "corrective relaxer." I know some people have had it done, but it sounds a little scary to me, especially as my already relaxed no-lye hair seems to be in good shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree
smile.gif

Hey, I'm going to hijack this thread just a bit. I'm thinking about the Fiberguard also but plan only to retouch the new growth once or twice a year - every 6 months or so. How long does a 4-lb tub last? How much relaxer is used for a retouch - 8-12 ounces? And how long can a lye relaxer last before you have to replace it?

TIA!!

GMMP- I have a 4lb tub of Fiberguard that has lasted 2.5 years. I have used it 4times a year. (I use a lot of relaxer per relaxer.)

Hello helthynzs, I have a friend who lives in Fort Valley but actually last month she moved to Perry. I looked at your album and your hair is beautiful. Are you relaxed? What kind of relaxer?

[ QUOTE ]
brickhouse said:
DigitalRain, may I ask what type of relaxer you are using and did you relax your ends while doing the switch?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used Optimum No lye. No lyes did so much damage, I cut off all the relaxer up to 1/2 inch new growth. I went natural for a year before I started using lye, so I started with virgin hair when I started back relaxing. I've used Motions Super for 4 years, but I'm going to drop down to regular when I relax again. I have super resistant hair but I think my hair will be a little more healthier if I use a milder formula.

Thaank you for the compliment. I am currently using African Pride no-lye relaxer but like you I also want to switch to a lye based formula. Mostly because I suffer from dry hair and years ago when I had a lye perm I didn't have that problem. Because Of bad expeiences at salons I started doing my hair totally at home. I don't feel comfortable with putting a lye perm in myself since I work a little slow and my hair is really thick.

Back