Help!!! I want to switch from no-lye to lye

They work the same as no lye relaxers. If you are scared, use a weaker formula. Like instead of super use a regular, or a mild. I switched from Optimum no lye to Optimum lye and then to Motions lye. I did not try to correct because I was afraid that it would make my hair look thin but most stylists recommend it. Don't do it if your hair is not healthy because it will make it worse. Just be sure not to overlap and to base your scalp well.

No lye relaxers are easier on the scalp but they dry out the hair and the calcium hydroxide ones are known to leave calcium deposits on the hair in that case a chelating or decalcifying shampoo should be used. Never let a stylist say that they have to cut off your hair because of calcium deposits. If they don't have the shampoo buy your own and use it.
Lye relaxers are rough on the scalp but are more moisturizing.

Thanks karezone, you girls are the best. I will be informing my stylist that I am switching to lye. My hair is very healthy and that's why I am ready to make the switch but I will not be doing it until Mar. I will just keep doing my washes and deep conditioners until that time.

helthynz, if you are still around I would like to know if you are going to actually switch to lye and I also would like to know if you could share your regimen.

Here is my regimin(always under construction)
I shampoo every four days with a moisturizing shampoo-either creme of nature or wanakee's moisture emphasis.Twice a month I do a hot oil treatment before I shampoo(evoo).I alternate conditioners, one of my favorites is the lustrasilk herbal cholestrerol.I will usually let it stay on on for about 30 to 60 minutes depending on what I am doing or how lazy I am being. Sometimes I air dry and then there are times when I give in to the siren song of the blow dryer.My main style right now is the bun. I do plan on switching to a lye relaxer. Right now I am 12 weeks post relaxer I am trying to hold out until Feb 11. I know of a good stylist here(so I hear)who I am ready to take my chances with. Most people who reccommend him have really pretty hair.

I am also switching from no lye to lye this spring
smile.gif
. I recently bought Affirm lye relaxer and currently stretching out my next touch up for six months. I am not happy with the dryness of my hair from no-lye relaxers.

Okay so this thread is super old...

But this is my issue. Im a self relaxer and my next touchup is scheduled for next week. Im seriously considering using ORS Lye Regular instead of No Lye (which Ive used ever since Ive been getting relaxers). My hair always seems dry, lifeless, with like a film over it. Im wondering if its the calcium in the No Lye.

Just looking for more ideas/input/experiences. I think it will be a positive experience overall, but if neone has ne tips I would greatly appreciate them. :)

I switched from affirm sensitive scalp to affirm lye.
my scalp has to be double based ( me, then stylist)
The stylist I just fired tried to pressure me into doing a "corrective relaxer"for 2 years . She claims my no lye hair was under processed. Its straight enough for me, of course it was different (slightly/ unnoticable) in texture. I stood firm in my refusal, and she got an attitude. She also tried to "convince" me to get color in my hair, and I had to break her from trying to whip out the flat iron after removing my rollers.:confused: Beware of stylists who try to make you a slave to them. All I have had to do is pay more attention to my ends, being careful and keeping them conditioned, moisturized and trimmed as needed. The ends get tangly as i approach relaxer time. I use detangling conditioners/leave ins, and I have no breakage/ splits. I get my hair trimmed every other relaxer. The stylist was scissor happy and 99% of her clients had short haircuts, so I had to stay on her. So be careful and stand your ground. From experience, I know that my hair can only take one process, and only my natural hair can take heat. Now enough of it has grown out to where it is not an issue.
HTH:)

kels823 said:
Okay so this thread is super old...

But this is my issue. Im a self relaxer and my next touchup is scheduled for next week. Im seriously considering using ORS Lye Regular instead of No Lye (which Ive used ever since Ive been getting relaxers). My hair always seems dry, lifeless, with like a film over it. Im wondering if its the calcium in the No Lye.

Just looking for more ideas/input/experiences. I think it will be a positive experience overall, but if neone has ne tips I would greatly appreciate them. :)

I switched from no-lye to lye. I love my results.

Here's the thread- http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=19757

Back