HELP! hair disaster

I forgot whose video I heard it in, but when I was learning to rollerset, a very wise lady on youtube said that a good rollerset depends on three things:
1. Soaking wet hair.
2. Making the hair smooth before putting it on the rollers.
3. Getting good tension on the roller.

The other ladies have said that you should put water in a spritz bottle and rewet as you go, which is exactly what you should do. You want the hair to cling to the roller, which it will only do if it is dripping wet. You can put setting lotion and whatever else on there (if you use oil, use only a very little bit or your hair will take forever to dry), but the water is the most important thing. Trying to set half dry hair will only end in disaster. If you set your hair dripping wet, that's half the work done already.

For the hair to be smooth on the rollers, comb it gently with a fine tooth comb. The fine tooth comb shouldn't be causing breakage if you are gentle and use good technique, use a quality comb, and wet your hair down before trying to comb it.

The tension in the hair comes from the way that you roll and the way that you anchor. Rolling correctly is easier than anchoring firmly, IMO.
Some tips to get good tension with the roller:
1. Use appropriately sized pieces. Don't make the pieces too wide, or it slips off and you get randomly bent bits. And don't try to place pieces on the rollers that are excessively thick, or it won't set smoothly. Take your time and section the hair well, because it's one of the easiest ways to ensure a good set.
2. As you roll, try tightening the hair. So roll twice, pull lightly, roll twice more, pull lightly, until you get to the end. Keeping the hair tight on the roller keeps it smooth and results in a nicer set.
3. As you practice more, try to roll the hair faster. The faster you roll, the less time the hair has to go slack or slide around.

And anchoring....I'm still working on this myself.
But I've found that it helps to secure the roller at the base, and as close to the front of the section as possible. I roll up though, (I can't roll down to save my life) so I think if you roll down, then you want to fasten it closer to the back.

Sorry for the lengthy response. :spinning:

I don't know if this has been said...but your hair is in a damaged state. Might be why your hair isn't coming out the way you exactly want. Flat ironing it to death isn't going to do anything but keep you right at the length you are at maybe shorter...maybe a lil longer but still very unhealthy.

You need to calm down and find what works for your hair. Maybe some type of weave or proctective style will work for you. Have you read Cathy Howse's book in conjunction with the forum? When I started out this was the book I read. You can try cowashing and only washing your hair every 3-7 days. When you wash make sure you ALWAYS DC for 30 minutes after. You are relaxed so you are going to need a good protein condish, maybe add a stimulating oil in the condish.

Beautiful hair isn't something that happens overnight. It takes hardwork and patience and it is something to be earned.

My point is if you want a beautiful set then you need to start working on your hairs health first, then go for style. I am not sure what kind of styles you can do right now so maybe someone else can help.

Last edited:
Back