Hello All, I have a long road ahead!LOL!

shopgalore

Hi I just joined LHCF a few days ago and thought I would introduce myself.:yep:

Thanks for all the information, I have a lot of reading ahead of me:yep:

I will not beat around the bush, I have the worst hair ever. For the past 33 years, I have simply used Relaxers, Weave, Lace Fronts, Braids, Plaits etc and my usual method is to simply - Wash my hair with Palmers Shampoo - no conditioner and apply Palmers Cocoa Butter -(a lot of it) and just hope for the best.

My hair is around neck length and basically never really grows, I once had hair that was a tad longer but I would get bored and just put it into something like a weave.

For the past 2 years I have not relaxed my hair.

I found this website and decided to take care of my hair and try to at least have healthy hair and maybe, just maybe grow it to my shoulders:yep:

So I have read info on the site and can someone let me know if I am making any major mistakes please.

My plan -

I have some mega tek, I have olive oil, west indian castor oil, more castor oil, aussie mega shampoo and conditioner and randomly some Peppermint oil. I have started taking garlic tablets and will be getting some biotin. I am going to order a steamer on Friday - I really want to touch one in real life first. Do I need anything else? I live in the UK, so I cannot get things like Pibbs dryers etc.
I am going to wash my hair once a week with the aussie duo, add some mega tek every day, wear a satin cap, use denmans 41, add peppermint and castor oil to my tufts everyday.

Sorry for the length of the post.

My hair is breaking a little, nothing crazy.

Thanks

PS I will get a picture of my hair taken and will add it to this thread so I have a starting point for my hair adventure.

Welcome, I think we all felt that we had the worst hair before coming here.
Stick around follow I good regi that works for you and your hair will thrive.

Make sure you have some leave-in's or moisturizer for you hair as well. How much new growth do you have? Welcome to the forum.

Hi and :welcome:!!!!

I'm in the UK too :grin:

Make sure you use peppermint oil sparingly (it can be very drying like any other essential oils)... what's your deep conditioner?

Looking forward to seeing pictures :yep:

Thanks so much for the really warm welcome. I will try to answer the questions now.

1. My whole hair is new growth, I dont have any relaxer left in my hair at all, it is just a thick thatch at the moment.

2. My leave in is going to be castor oil, I have a bottle of motions cpr leave in which I got last year (when I thought about having decent hair for once but never used)

3. I would like to get some L'occatine next week also and use in conjunction with aussie.

4. Thanks for the stickie, I will defo check it out and learn the terms, reading the ladies speaking it really is like a new language and very interesting all the same.

5. Thanks about the peppermint oil, I mixed half the bottle with half the castor oil and I think it maybe too strong, I will give it a go anyway!Lol!

One of the things I like about this hair site is that fact I dont care that my hair is in bad shape, looking at the pictures it gives hope to me!!!

Hi elegantblkrose

Half a bottle of peppermint oil is much too much - it will irritate your scalp. You'll need to add some more carrier oil to it like EVOO and/or EVCO. Basically you only need a few drops of any essential oil in order for it to be effective. :yep:

If you have anything you'd like to ask feel free to pm me.

Thank you Cream Tee, I just plonked some one and it was really strong smelling, I got some in my eye and it stings!!Lol!! I have a lot to learn! Your hair looks fantastic Cream Tee, I dont really see ladies in the UK with their very own home grown long hair! Wow!! In fact, only on this site and BHM have I seen UK ladies with long hair.

I will add more castor and use this one very little, I got one of the bottles from Paks which has a small nozzel. Thanks again!

Ask me how I know about the Peppermint oil? A lot of us learn the hard way on here! :D

Thanks very much. :) I'm trying but as you know it's not easy and you have to be very very consistent if you want any results, but it's good fun along the way as the ladies on here are very supportive.

Oh yes you'll probably be going in to Paks quite a bit to start off with! :grin:

Welcome to the fourm!! :) My suggestion is that you use something besides castor oil as your leave-in. Oils aren't really moisturizers.

Oils like castor oil help lock the mositure into your hair, but work best after you've moisturized your hair. I would recommend using a creamy leave-in then putting the castor oil on over that (esp. focusing on the ends).

Some leave-in conditioners that I really like are: Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine leave-in cream, and Africa's Best Liquid Hair Mayo. I'm not sure if both are available in the UK, but maybe you could keep an eye out for them.

One more thing:
I highly recommend that you use a silk or satin scarf to tie your hair up at night, if you don't already. You want to avoid using a cotton or polyester scarf since they will just suck the moisture out of your hair.

A silk or satin scarf will protect your hair and keep it from rubbing against your pillow at night and causing breakage.

Last edited:
Thanks for the leave in conditioner names Semo, I will track it down - maybe on ebay or something, I like the sound of the africa one - sounds like it will work!!
Thanks cream tee, I am so excited, I am hoping that by Christmas I will have shoulder length hair, for me I would really love strong hair first and then length second. It is going to be a long process which I have to get to grips with and ensure I do it every day without fail. I dont really want to turn into a product junkie, but when you see these lovely things, it is hard not to just jot it down. After reading about steamers I want one, after reading about hood dryers I want one.Lol!!

Welcome! You'll learn so much here. Be patient and listen to your hair and you'll be shocked by the results.

Hi and welcome. I was reading your regimen and i agree with the ladies who said you need some kind of creamy water-based leave in and then use the oil to seal it in. Also I don't think you mentioned it but what are you using as your deep conditioner?

Hope the Giovanni Direct or Africa's best leave in work for you :) Your stash is looking good though.

There's so much good info to read up, here are some threads you might find useful/inspiring:

Abbreviations Glossary:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=20774

Hair Breakage 101-- just wanted to share!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746

NATURAL SUPPORT THREAD 2010:STYLES,REGGIES,PRODUCTS AND RANDOM STUFF!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=427824

Worst Mistakes I Made as a Natural:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=223081

The Best Thing You Ever Did for your Natural Hair:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=363407

Natural Short to Mid Length Hairstyles:Photo Thread!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=356527

Celebrate the Beauty Photobook: Natural Type 4 Hair:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=419684

Long Haired 4 Somethings!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=395922

Thanks so much for this list Pookiwah!! I am going to take some time to read everything!! Its wonderful how ladies help is other!!! I love this site!!!

Hi elegantblk rose :welcome: again !!! :grin:

My top tip to you would be to avoid going out and buying everything in sight. Take your time and do not buy every product that is recommended on here. Just start off with the basics and build slowly.

Your hair looks to be a 4b and a little dry so I would focus on building moisture. I would also get a good leave in and try and do some strengthening treatments gradually as you have just come out of extensions.

HTH's

Thanks so much stella!! I know what you mean about buying everything, but it is so tempting!! I am going to apply the mayo now while I read through the threads Pookiwah posted, I hope that keeps my hair moist, your right my head is dry, you know before I got to this site, I thought that was the way my hair is supposed to be underneath the weaves and Lf and plaits.
I am going to put some mega tek on now on the scalp and plonk some mayo on and then put a shower cap on!!! So exciting all of this!!

Check out SistaSlick's articles on regimen building at www.fotki.com/sistaslick. She gives you the lowdown on shampoos, conditioners, leave-ins and sealants.

Your products sound fine, but I would add a moisturizer or a leave-in before applying my daily oil. There are tons of threads about good moisturizers and leave-ins. Some ladies use a regular conditioner as a leave-in.

Welcome and good luck.

As stated in your other thread, you would do well to at least mist your hair with water before applying your sealant oils, until the moisturisers you ordered arrive.

You're welcome. When you read SistaSlick's articles, make sure to read the one on protein and moisture balance. That one is key to understanding how to cycle products around.

Welcome Elegantblkrose
we have very simular hair stories. I can't wait to see your picture we might be hair twins

Back