Heavy-Handed Sistah's Support Thread

I don't see it as a problem. My hair is very maybe dense or something. I have to put tons and tons of product in sections for it to be effective (specifically conditioners). A dime sized, quarter sized or half dollar sized dollop will NOT do

Eeerrr Uhmmm ! :look: Excuse Me....Heavy Handed PJ Sista' also checking in.........:look:

I guess it's something about having a Handful of Products and just either massaging them or rubbing them into your hair that is very Freeing:grin:

If it's in a Jar, I'm digging deep in the jar, if it is a Tube, I am squeezing half the tube. If it's a Spritz, I am spritzing like there's not tomorrow:nono:

I like it ! I enjoy it! And I guess I don't know what to do about it. :ohwell:

So, I guess I'll roll with it. I wonder if there is any correlation between heavy-handedness and PJ-ism:rolleyes:

I am heavy handed with conditioners and leave in. I just don't know what to do. I have tried doing a dollop but it never reaches my full head.

It usually just stops in the front. Then I have to dollop the back and side. Even with rubbing my hands together my hair doesn't like that little bit.

Thankfully I make my own leave-in so they can be stretched more.

Wow...8 32oz bottles in three months!? That's about 2.5 32oz bottles per month! I'm glad you came to the thread. It makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone in having this problem (sounds so corny and AA, I know, but it's true :yep:).

Yeah, I'm ridiculous with the conditioner but, at least, my hair is never dry. Between the cowashes and the shea butter it's moisture city. Love it.

I think If i tried to put a dollop , dime size of anything in my head.. my hair will laugh at me... the only thing I use less of is shampoo... (is that a good thing?) everything else.. yeah I just slather it on in there and hope for the best...speakin of... i'm low on conditioner...I just bought that dang bottle..:look:

Thanks for this thread op.

I used to be really heavy handed with my conditioners/leave ins, but I'm getting better at it.

One thing that helped me is using about a half dollar size amount of conditioner, rubbing it between my hands, then patting it through my strands all over my head near the scalp. Then I take about the same amount and focus it on the ends, nape, and edges. Put on a cap and let it sit for however long, then rub through my hair again and then rinse. I used to slather it all over my head and scalp until my whole head was a conditioner helmet caked up with conditioner, but now I know it's not necessary

With leave ins, I squeeze out as much water out of my hair as I can, then apply the leave in (small amount, no more than a nice quarter size) as evenly as possible all over my head, patting it through. Put on a cap for about 2-3 minutes to let it penetrate before styling. You'll notice a big difference than if you just put it in and start immediately combing/styling. It soaks in better and your hair dries moist, but not heavy or greasy. Less is more sometimes.

I wonder if there is any correlation between heavy-handedness and PJ-ism:rolleyes:

Most def! If I am at the bottom of a conditioner I'll just use it all up in one wop even if theres enough to DC 5 times just so I can tell myself that I need more conditioner. :perplexed

That reminds me, I needed to try out this Yes 2 Carrots I brought today:lick:

Most def! If I am at the bottom of a conditioner I'll just use it all up in one wop even if theres enough to DC 5 times just so I can tell myself that I need more conditioner. :perplexed

That reminds me, I needed to try out this Yes 2 Carrots I brought today:lick:

I think so too: That there is a definite Direct Correlation between heavy handedness and PJ-ism.

If the women that responded thought about it seriously, they would know that this was the case. Is it actually to buy more products or is it the love and admiration of such products? The Smell. The way it feels in Your Hair

Or a Combination of Both:lachen:

I am heavy handed too. But I am getting betta at it usually with conditioners. I will get a small mixing bowl and go up to a certain line and thats it.

I think so too: That there is a definite Direct Correlation between heavy handedness and PJ-ism.

If the women that responded thought about it seriously, they would know that this was the case. Is it actually to buy more products or is it the love and admiration of such products? The Smell. The way it feels in Your Hair

I feel like Aaron Neville should be singing any minute now. :rofl:

I like new products, and I like using a metric ton of them on my hair when I break them out of my hair closet.

Eeerrr Uhmmm ! :look: Excuse Me....Heavy Handed PJ Sista' also checking in.........:look:

I guess it's something about having a Handful of Products and just either massaging them or rubbing them into your hair that is very Freeing:grin:

If it's in a Jar, I'm digging deep in the jar, if it is a Tube, I am squeezing half the tube. If it's a Spritz, I am spritzing like there's not tomorrow:nono:

I like it ! I enjoy it! And I guess I don't know what to do about it. :ohwell:

So, I guess I'll roll with it. I wonder if there is any correlation between heavy-handedness and PJ-ism:rolleyes:

Of course :yep:

I believe it is a combination.

I'm heavy handed with conditioners, moisturizers, and oil. Because I am heavy handed I have a fear of running out so I am always stocking up. I :lick: conditioners, moisturizers, and oil to the point that I can't wait to use them.

It's a never ending cycle--heavy handed, fear of running out so you stock up, when you stock up you try different ones and you end up loving those too so you are heavy handed and it starts again...

Thanks for this thread op.

I used to be really heavy handed with my conditioners/leave ins, but I'm getting better at it.

One thing that helped me is using about a half dollar size amount of conditioner, rubbing it between my hands, then patting it through my strands all over my head near the scalp. Then I take about the same amount and focus it on the ends, nape, and edges. Put on a cap and let it sit for however long, then rub through my hair again and then rinse. I used to slather it all over my head and scalp until my whole head was a conditioner helmet caked up with conditioner, but now I know it's not necessary

With leave ins, I squeeze out as much water out of my hair as I can, then apply the leave in (small amount, no more than a nice quarter size) as evenly as possible all over my head, patting it through. Put on a cap for about 2-3 minutes to let it penetrate before styling. You'll notice a big difference than if you just put it in and start immediately combing/styling. It soaks in better and your hair dries moist, but not heavy or greasy. Less is more sometimes.

Yeah, that's what I have to be more frugal with--the conditioners that I use as leave-ins. I usually apply way too much leave-in, usually similar to the amount of conditioner I use to DC. So now I'm going to use much less. If condition my hair well in the shower then I shouldn't need a ton of leave-in.

I'm definitely heavy-handed. But, for the last few months the only things I used on my hair were water and oil (castor & coconut). I rationalized it because they're cheap and do great things for my hair.

I need all my strands to be coated/saturated. That's why I like rinsing everyday, I know for sure every strand is getting moisturized. But, I just ordered some Oyin Honey Hemp conditioner and I know I'm going to have to slow it down because it's 18$ a bottle. I won't be wasting ANY.

Here's my main problem. My hair does fine with all the extra product, in fact it pretty much all gets absorbed and my hair is never oily to the touch...there are no negative results. But, it's not like I have a lot of hair now. When it gets longer am I going to be using a whole 20oz jar of coconut oil on my hair in one sitting? That would just be crazy, but at the rate I'm going it could happen.

Of course :yep:

I believe it is a combination.

I'm heavy handed with conditioners, moisturizers, and oil. Because I am heavy handed I have a fear of running out so I am always stocking up. I :lick: conditioners, moisturizers, and oil to the point that I can't wait to use them.

It's a never ending cycle--heavy handed, fear of running out so you stock up, when you stock up you try different ones and you end up loving those too so you are heavy handed and it starts again...

You Ain't Neva Lied Shay! That is exactly the Way It 'Tis!:lachen:

There's also two other factors that contributes to product (especially conditioner) overuse that I forgot to consider: A person could be using a product that really doesn't work well for their hair, or maybe the product used to work for them (like when they were relaxed or natural) and now their hair doesn't like it anymore. That's happened to me. I've used products that I've thought were awesome, only to find out that overtime my hair stopped liking them or they start drying out my hair. So I apply more thinking my hair just feels really dry and crunchy that day, but it still feels yucky.

Secondly, there's the matter of clarification. Sometimes I pile conditioner onto my hair, and my hair still feels super dry. This is because I was neglecting to clarify my hair. Even though I don't use -cones, my hair still gets coated from time to time, so I'm going to make sure I clarify with vinegar or citric acid every two weeks after getting rid of build up using my shampoo bars.

I just used an entire 8 oz jar of sitrinillah for deep conditioning tonight. I love it. It smells so gooooood! It's so thick & creamy. I love thick dc's. So thick when you shake the jar nothing moves. I love thick cowash condishes too. If I buy a new condish and it is thin I will use it up but I will never buy it again.

I just used an entire 8 oz jar of sitrinillah for deep conditioning tonight. I love it. It smells so gooooood! It's so thick & creamy. I love thick dc's. So thick when you shake the jar nothing moves. I love thick cowash condishes too. If I buy a new condish and it is thin I will use it up but I will never buy it again.

Errr Uhmmm.....Okay....Now did you just say you used an Entire 8oz Jar of Hairveda Sitrinillah for ONE DC TREATMENT tonight?:lachen:

Well.....I guess that Officially Makes You the Queen Of Heavy Handed Sistah's:trophy:

We ALL Must:worship2: That !

You Ain't No Joke ! hmmm? 1 Entire 8 oz Jar.:perplexed

See that's something I would do. And not think anything of it.

I guess that's a problem:look:. Well if it's wrong I don't wanna be right.

^^Let me 'splain! My hair is thiiiiick and I am 5 months post on June 1st with about 3 inches of new growth. My hair is soaking it up! Besides I love the stuff. I get all caught up in slathering it on.

Errr Uhmmm.....Okay....Now did you just say you used an Entire 8oz Jar of Hairveda Sitrinillah for ONE DC TREATMENT tonight?:lachen:

Well.....I guess that Officially Makes You the Queen Of Heavy Handed Sistah's:trophy:

We ALL Must:worship2: That !

You Ain't No Joke ! hmmm? 1 Entire 8 oz Jar.:perplexed

Yep! That's exactly why I will be buying another 10lb pail in about a month.

Yep! That's exactly why I will be buying another 10lb pail in about a month.

The Sitrinillah Comes in 10lb Pails? WOW ! You got the Hairveda-Hook Up. Go 'Head Girl. I ain't Mad at Ya.:look: You Doin' It Like 'Dat?

That has to be Special Order ! She got to be making that just for you:grin:

Enjoy ! You Heavy-Handed Diva-Queen. I have to give you your Props on that one.:woohoo:

The Sitrinillah Comes in 10lb Pails? WOW ! You got the Hairveda-Hook Up. Go 'Head Girl. I ain't Mad at Ya.:look: You Doin' It Like 'Dat?

That has to be Special Order ! She got to be making that just for you:grin:

Enjoy ! You Heavy-Handed Diva-Queen. I have to give you your Props on that one.:woohoo:

Check the site. She provided them before then took it down and now you can order them again. You can order Moist 24/7, Moist PRO, Cocasta, and Avosoya in gallons too :yep:! I have 2 gallons of Moist 24/7 right now. But you are right if you ask her she will do special order stuff.

I wanted to start a support thread for the women on this forum who, like me, are heavy-handed with their products. I go through so much product in such a short amount of time because of this problem. When I hear people say "dime-sized" or "quarter-sized" I'm like "are you serious :ohwell:?" And realistically, I don't need to use as much product as I've been using. I know that we all have varying lengths and textures on this board, and some of us need to use more product, and others need less. But there's always the potential of going overboard, regardless of length or texture. Even if our hair isn't suffering, our wallets may be, lol. So I'm going to try to cure myself of this habit. Anybody else have this problem?
oh my god... girl i use 1/2 thing a grease on my hair.... i overuse everything..... anything!!! then wash it out (wash daily) and re-up the rest of the jar!:nono: grease all down on my eyebrows & shyyyte.... no cure for
heavy-handed-bandits

people say castor oil last a year.... I use an entire bottle in 1 mnth or less (as god as my witness) i use more product than any salon I know

goyyyyt dayum look at nelly

I have short hair right now but I foresee a problem with my heavy handedness in the future. :look: My hair soaks up product like nobody's business. I don't have to use as much product now as I did months ago, though.

I, Winona, am a heavy handed person:nervous2:

My excuse is the results I get when I ensure conditioner is on EVERY strand:grin: Soft, moisture hair for days (like 6 ya'll). That is ridiculous compared to before I knew the boards. My only saving grace is I make most of my stuff (I JUST LOVE YTCucumbers conditioner:grin:) so it turns out to be pretty cheap. I get my YTCucumbers conditioner from Ross for $4/16oz. I also love AO conditioners but I started making conditioner mix that I believe will take its place:) So I will be able to save there because 1 bottle of AO might only last me 2 conditioning:nono:

My hair is thick, which is why I'm heavy handed - I found that using products that are more water based helps because they distribute easier throughout my hair.

Same thing here, I use a LOT of everything and I'm thickening all my leave ins and conditioners withrice bran oil and avocado butter to recover a little bit. First time I pre-pooed with coconut oil half a jar disappeared into my hair. When I used to relax the hairdresser always stopped at some point and she said: "OMG, there's not enough of it, I need to mix some more". I want to make my own thick conditioner/leave in for this reason at some point... Maybe it would save me money...

...And I'd like my hair to be long... without ending up spending an arm and a leg to keep it healthy when it's, say, past bra strap. So I guess a homemade conditioner / a homemade flax seed gel will do.

Last edited:
Back