*2009* ~Natural Support Thread~

Congrats, Pinkdot!

From your siggy your hair looks great! Enjoy your length now because you can definitely have fun with short hair :).

I'm soooo happy to say that after 7 months of transitioning I am now fully natural again. I'm one day old nappy today. Yay me. I missed the feel of my natural hair. It was always easier for me to wash. I missed playing with it (i find myself playing with my hair through my wig) and I missed the feel of it. My hair is much more strong in its natural state. I'm basically doing the curly girl method. I'm just conditioner washing every night and let it air dry and I plan on deep conditioning once a month. Thats it. I baggy my whole head @ night. During the day I wear my hair under a wig. I'm going to be doing this until my hair is long enough to wear out to my liking.........

congrats!!!

:whyme: I'm bored....well actually I'm, more anxious/antsy/irritated as I wait to get feedback from some applications I put in. usually when I get in this 'bleh' moments, I mess with my hair. i colored or cut or got a funky style...but with my 4inches of hair...I don't have many options and I'm bout to go crazy. well not crazy enough to relax:spinning: but I just know before the month ends I'll have braids or something in to protect myself from my hair :)
ok..vent over!

You can try Family Dollar, Claires/Icing, Marshalls, Ross, WalMart, Target. Also, try fabric stores and get strips of fabric cut and even the scrap materials that are sometimes really cheap.

Can anyone help me with twist and co washing? I workout 5x a week so co washing 2x - 3x a week would help. But when I do co wash, my twist looks old which means I have to do them over again. :wallbash:Anyone else having the same problem?

I'm so glad I found this thread!

I BC'ed two weeks ago, and this is my first time dealing with my natural texture & non-straight hair. I have a super TWA so I've basically been doing wash-and-go's. Some days I'll pick it out to have more of a fro or puff and then other days I just let my coils do their thing.

I've been experimenting with different products, but mostly stuff that was already in my cabinet. So far I definitely love Aussie Moist, Garnier Hydra Curls and Lustrasilk Cholesterol w/Shea Butter & Mango. I'm just going to try to keep it easy until I get enough length to start doing other styles.

I have braids now. Simple style for the summer. By the time I take them out my one year mark will be right around the corner!

I've updated my fotki with my june hair 'adventures' ;) but as I was looking through my earlier pics, I realized that my hair is ACTUALLY growing! :grin:
here is a pic of my twists that I wore nightly (for twistouts) in March 09
nightlytwists_front-vi.jpg

nightlytwistssideview-vi.jpg

and here are my twists now... these are much smaller but I'm actually wearing these out as a protective style and plan to keep this up for the rest of the summer.
tinytwists4-vi.jpg

tinytwists3-vi.jpg

OH! I forgot to add, that this weekend marks exactly ONE year since my last relaxer even though i didn't BC until Jan 09.

Last edited:
I've updated my fotki with my june hair 'adventures' ;) but as I was looking through my earlier pics, I realized that my hair is ACTUALLY growing! :grin:
here is a pic of my twists that I wore nightly (for twistouts) in March 09
nightlytwists_front-vi.jpg

nightlytwistssideview-vi.jpg

and here are my twists now... these are much smaller but I'm actually wearing these out as a protective style and plan to keep this up for the rest of the summer.
tinytwists4-vi.jpg

tinytwists3-vi.jpg

OH! I forgot to add, that this weekend marks exactly ONE year since my last relaxer even though i didn't BC until Jan 09.

Great progress!:clap: Congratulations!:congrats:

I need some support. I recently BC'ed and am having LOTS of trouble "reading" my hair. It seems to hate everything my relaxed hair liked (which is not a surprise) but also some of the natural HG's too. I'm getting increasingly frustrated but I'm going to stick it out. It's only been a month though so please feel free to tell me to sit down. LOL I had a couple of questions though:
1) How do you tell the difference b/w coarse hair and dry hair?
2) How can you tell if coarse hair is moisturized?
3) If my hair has really tight coffee stirrer size coils is that 4a or 4b? I thought it was 4a since 4b doesn't have a curl pattern? (I have a pic in my avatar)
4) Can coarse hair be soft or is that a myth?

I have plenty more but I'll start with those. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

I need some support. I recently BC'ed and am having LOTS of trouble "reading" my hair. It seems to hate everything my relaxed hair liked (which is not a surprise) but also some of the natural HG's too. I'm getting increasingly frustrated but I'm going to stick it out. It's only been a month though so please feel free to tell me to sit down. LOL I had a couple of questions though:
3) If my hair has really tight coffee stirrer size coils is that 4a or 4b? I thought it was 4a since 4b doesn't have a curl pattern? (I have a pic in my avatar)

Girl, I wish I could answer your questions, but I'm a natural newbie myself and learning my hair as well...but, I'll bump for you so hopefully some of the vets will chime in...

:bump:

ETA: I do think coarse hair can be soft. My hair is dense and coarse and since I have been doing twists regularly after co-washing, my hair has gotten really soft, like cotton...:yep: Also, I think if you have a definite coil, i think it's 4a.

Last edited:

i'm going to try my best to help you out...:grin:
1) don't quote me: coarse has something to do with texture, and dry is a condition meaning lack of moisture.
2) hmmm...that's a hard one for me...try this thread for some more info on coarse hair http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=194013
3) i think tight coils are 4a, and 4b has no pattern. the two textures are often mixed onto one head-like mine.
4) i'm sure it can-that thread should help you out
hope this helps!!:yep:

hmm interesting thread..my question is..hwat are good deep conditioners for natural 4b hair??..i havent DC'ed in a WHILE.ive tried cholesterols..they are blah
also have any naturals been able to put their hair in a banana clip?
i've seen kimmay's video and would like to try..but my hair is more kinkier than hers so idk if it would work..

Back