Heat gets a bad rap... (long)

I'm still scared to use direct heat.

I use my blow dryer brush thing once in a blue moon. I'd like to be able to use a flat iron effectively to try out some straight styles since I texlax but I'm still kinda scared.:ohwell:

Personally I am trying to keep my heat down to my deep conditioning and maybe flat ironing once and a while. Too much of anything can be a bad thing. I agree with you that the key is to use heat on healthy hair using healthy practices. Meaning use heat protectors, heat on clean hair, don't fry it by coating it first, etc. I believe in this way heat is not that big of a monster.

I think it depends on the person. On the other hand I think we all have some issue with heat because most of us grew up with it being used in unhealthy ways. We're conditioned to think that more heat is better because, surprise, most of us had to sit at the stove and get our hair pressed before it became remotely presentable.

I used to think I had the heat under control but in reality I didn't. I didn't realize that with proper tools and techniques, I could get the sleek straight and shiny styles I wanted without all the heat.

I wonder how my hair ever grew with all the heat I was using. And then I understood why my hair would grow good and then some small thing would cause a chain reaction of breakage and damage.

I haven't used heat on my hair since Sunday. I haven't flatironed it and I don't own a curling iron. But you would never know by looking at my hair. Its very straight, very shiny, and has bounce. I wrap it every night and use quality products (read: Joico:grin:).

I wouldn't say that heat is so much bad, or good as it is necessary. If you do not have naturally straight hair, the easiest and probably the fastest for most of us is to use heat.

I think it depends on the person. On the other hand I think we all have some issue with heat because most of us grew up with it being used in unhealthy ways. We're conditioned to think that more heat is better because, surprise, most of us had to sit at the stove and get our hair pressed before it became remotely presentable.

I used to think I had the heat under control but in reality I didn't. I didn't realize that with proper tools and techniques, I could get the sleek straight and shiny styles I wanted without all the heat.

I wonder how my hair ever grew with all the heat I was using. And then I understood why my hair would grow good and then some small thing would cause a chain reaction of breakage and damage.

I haven't used heat on my hair since Sunday. I haven't flatironed it and I don't own a curling iron. But you would never know by looking at my hair. Its very straight, very shiny, and has bounce. I wrap it every night and use quality products (read: Joico:grin:).

I wouldn't say that heat is so much bad, or good as it is necessary. If you do not have naturally straight hair, the easiest and probably the fastest for most of us is to use heat.

Shoot, even the naturally straight hair white girls at work use Chi Iron (at least 400 degrees) EVERYDAY! :nono: I don't know how they do it!

I used to be strictly no heat but by the end of my relaxer my hair was a crunchy mess. I tried Caruso rollers but after the initial let down of the rollers it to would be crunchy. Now I sorta split heat usage down the middle. The first half of my perm I use no direct heat. I airdry or use my bonnet dryer. From the mid point to the end of my perm I will airdry and flat iron once a week if I need to use heat. However, I usually keep it pinned up during this time. I have banned using a blowdryer with comb attachment! I last used it in July on my anniversary trip. I washed my hair and then we decided to go out. I was trying to blow dry my hair but I had to stop cuz my hair was flying everywhere:nono:. I ended pinning it up and I vowed not to blowdry again!

Like JCoily stated, the "in moderation" part is where we get tripped up.

I used to wash and flat iron my hair once a week. It was pretty, but never got much longer than shoulder length (I mean about armpit). I've gotten to bS length by giving up the flat ironing; it made all the difference. I flat iron less than 10 times a year, including salon visits.

It's funny because right now it seems like I am getting less breakage doing the week with this regimine than I did rollersetting my hair.

After reading the replies here I will consider not using the comb attachment when blow drying and I will try to only wash my hair once a week to cut down on the heat. My hair still looks good by Wednesday but I am so use to washing every Wednesday and Saturday that is what I do. I will wash again on Saturday and then try to go to next Saturday without washing to see what happens.

heat = having to trim more often and thinning ends. on MY hair.

i don't mess with it often.

once a month and that's it.

I agree with you OP. I use heat in moderation, and I have will continue to do so. I tried airdrying for awhile when I was relaxed, and I got lots of breakage and dryness.

If I dont use heat, my hair looks nasty sometimes...I think once a week is okay in some clean hair...Idk..I'm also on the fence with this..cuz my friends who go to the dominicans hair is flourishing, but most of them also cut out chemicals.

I think naturals can use heat more often and not get as many splits ends.

permed ends and regular heat use is damaging. it will eventually happen and then one will need to cut the hair :/

Last edited:
Back