He said no to the dress

SunySydeofLyfe

My honey said the dress I want is too much for one day. We decided on a very small budget of 3k for our wedding and he says my dress for one day is too much. Now usually I would be like...WHATEVER...lol...but I am getting into the routine of being submissive (biblical submission).

ugggghhhh, we did decide how much we were going to spend from the jump....but I got a new job and I could easily get the dress....

what would you ladies do...the dress is $850.00....

I don't think that is too much and if you are paying out of your own pocket, I honestly think it would be your business how much you paid. Sorry that's just my opinion. I paid $1250 for my dress and to me it was worth every dollar. My hub thought it was a lot until he saw me in it :-) Your hub will probably feel differently after it's all over too.

Yes I've only worn it once but it's the most cherished piece of clothing that I own (outside of some of my baby clothes) and I plan to keep it forever.

Well with your budget I think it is a lot. My dress was about $900 but my budget was $30k so in proportion I would have had to spend 10k on my dress.

See if Lightinabox.com has a knock off of the dress so you can get what you want at your price point.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

He knows he could not tell me anything about the dress I picked out or how much I spent. I set my own limit for the price of my dress.

Last edited:
Some things are not worth quibbling over but your dress, well, most men know to fall back. $850 is not that much for a wedding dress. In proportion to your wedding budget it is a lot, and he is being logical, but I would get the dress, otherwise 10 years from now you will still have regret and he will have long forgot about the cost.

I agree about searching for knock offs (I hate that term) for your dress at a more affordable price point? Maybe if you post a picture we could help?

Have you looked for discount? Have you looked into samples of that dress (meaning it's only been tried on in the store)? They could lower your price like 50% all the way up to 90%. I loooove sales if you haven't read that before. I just dont' see the point in paying a ton when I don't have to. In my case I found someone who can make mine perfectly (and I trust that she can), but there's a ton of stores I found online:

1) Bridal Sample Store http://www.bridalsamplestore.com/-strse-Bridal-Gowns-cln-Pronovias/Categories.bok for instance they have pronovias at $325 instead of $2000. LOOOVE samples. The money you save, you can get it fitted perfectly at your tailers and kim.

ex just looked and this sample is over 50 percent off it's $650 instead of $1275
452b9c1112b2f53618cdf76_m.jpg

This Priscilla of boston is $725 instead of $4250
452b9c1112ad8a31136c9aa_m.jpg

Pronovias at $425 instead of $2900
452b9c1112ad8a65e5d37ce_m.jpg

2) http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/

Uhm here's a secret...they're not all pre owned. You can click the search and highlight you only want "new" or "sample" that will give you designers who are creating their own product, at huge discount, and samples (you can even search for your name designer to see if they have a sample available)

Just putting in a search for a new/or sample dress under $600 (to please your fiance) I pulled up over 1,000 dresses

examples:

custom made dress:

Other-Mermaid-Diamond-White-2011-3.jpg
at $599

Other-Mermaid-Diamond-White-2011-2.jpg

Name brands like:
galina sold at $300 from $800
Galina-Trumpet-Fit-and-Flare-2010-118776.jpg

Maggie sottero @ $350 vs $950
Maggie-Sottero-A-line-Rhonda-Light-Gold-2010-115569.jpg

Keep in mind I don't know your style. I'm just pulling random dresses as examples.

Also you might find your exact style at one of these sites (or find something you love more that's worth more, but you can pay less for...sometimes due to overstock, sometimes samples, and sometimes custom creations...but all never worn in a wedding, etc).

Last edited:
If you guys already agreed to a budget you should try to stay within it. Look for knockoffs or another dress if that doesnt work cry and beg. LOL Congrats!

$850 is not a lot but it is a good portion of your portion. Can a parent or generous relative/sibling help you with the cost by at least 50%?

I am not a marriage expert but I would not recommend you get the dress. His opinion counts, as what you have is his and what is his is yours. Shoot, if I could I'd help chip in with ya.

Have you tried E-bay and Craig's List? There are some wedding sites I used to go to and they knew exactly which vendors on E-bay were reputable.

If you guys already agreed to a budget you should try to stay within it. Look for knockoffs or another dress if that doesnt work cry and beg. LOL Congrats!

:lachen::lachen::lachen: She may need to start practicing anyway. If she really wants that dress...

It depends on where you want to spend your limited budget. For me, the dress needed to fit, I needed to like it, but otherwise it was pretty unimportant. So I spent very little on my dress. My budget was 4xs yours, but most of it went into the venue and reception, because that's were "we" wanted to spend our money.

Now, sometimes you do have to have a heart to heart with your DF--mine didn't want to spend that sort of budget on one day, but after we had a real convo abt the importance to me, and who was paying for what, he compromised, and we were both satisfied.

And I never regretted getting a cheap dress, especially when DH is acting the donkey, LOL.

I can see $850 being problematic if it's coming out of a $3K wedding budget, but...if you said you can afford the dress on your own, then maybe you can just cover that expense by yourself. I wouldn't expect the groom to understand...

Good luck OP!

I wouldn't have included my dress in the overall wedding budget and I would get the dress i want to wear for my wedding especially if I can pay for it. Different story if you can't. You'll be compromising soon enough after the "I Do's."

That's just me and it may be because I'm old and I've learned that I'm gonna do me 'cause when I die, I'm going to be the only one in the coffin!:lol:

Yes hon please get the dress you want. Just curb your personal shopping for the next couple of months. Trust me, you will be glad that you did :-)

Address it with him again and tell him how much it means to you to have the dress that you want for your special day.

Well with your budget I think it is a lot. My dress was about $900 but my budget was $30k so in proportion I would have had to spend 10k on my dress.

See if Lightinabox.com has a knock off of the dress so you can get what you want at your price point.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
I would avoid this site, they don't have glowing reviews online. It is all from China.

I would avoid this site, they don't have glowing reviews online. It is all from China.

This is the problem with a lot of the online sites. I was informed of this when I first started looking for a dress. There were women saying they were waiting on the dress they had ordered and paid for, but it was a mystery if they were going to receive it or not. :nono::sad:

Ladies, thank you all, I went looking again and found another dress that is beautiful!!! I am not certain if it did what 'the dress' did, but I was pleasantly surprised that I can find something wonderful for half the price, let me find the dress....the model does nothing for it but on me and keeping with our theme that mug is baddd!!! I am an hourglass and this dress hit in all the right places. No one that saw it liked it but on me the consultants said it looked like it was made for me.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Sequin-Slim-Gown-with-Tulle-Overlay-SKP383

Congrats! You said yes to a dress!
We will be waiting to see your pics and how gorgeous you'll be on your special day.

Ladies, thank you all, I went looking again and found another dress that is beautiful!!! I am not certain if it did what 'the dress' did, but I was pleasantly surprised that I can find something wonderful for half the price, let me find the dress....the model does nothing for it but on me and keeping with our theme that mug is baddd!!! I am an hourglass and this dress hit in all the right places. No one that saw it liked it but on me the consultants said it looked like it was made for me.

SunySydeofLyfe
Wait that dress says 750...
But it really does fit with your theme...

I love it! It is gorgeous!

I really want that dress, I think that I am going to see if I can get someone to make me a dress just like it, I am sure that I can find the fabric and have a few seamstresses in the rolodex. lol....I need that dress, I wish I would have let my mom take a picture of me in that dress cause it looked so perfect.

I am an 'older' bride and I dont want the princess style, I see that for my girls...my mom....was in love with the tulle and the poufy.....The search continues.....I know another one is there for the getting!!!

1st of all straight men don't know jack about fashion the only like it when they see the whole look.
A wedding gown is different from a dress it's an entirely dif way of makin it that's why it's more expensive.
Your wedding gown shouldn't be part ofthe budget it should be it's own expense separate from evrything else.

That dress is very pretty. For it to look better on you, you're going to get so many ooohhh, aahhhhs.

I think it's beautiful!

Also, I say get what you want. Because you'll be taking pictures in it and it will forever be recorded in history and you don't want to be mad every time you look at your pics because you didn't get the dress you wanted. You may as well be happy with it because you're going to be seeing it for a long time.

I have moved on to plan B for the moment. I dont want to show the dress just yet, but I am making the calls to see if I can have the dress made!!! When I confirm being able to get it made I will post pictures!!! Thanks ladies!!!

My honey said the dress I want is too much for one day. We decided on a very small budget of 3k for our wedding and he says my dress for one day is too much. Now usually I would be like...WHATEVER...lol...but I am getting into the routine of being submissive (biblical submission).

ugggghhhh, we did decide how much we were going to spend from the jump....but I got a new job and I could easily get the dress....

what would you ladies do...the dress is $850.00....

Girl, go ahead and get that dress! It's not just $850 for A dress it's $850 for THE dress. It's the single most important piece of clothing you'll ever wear in your life. You're obviously in love with it and can afford it, so get what you really want.

If you do decide to go the custom route, ask the seamstress for samples of her work, not just photos, but actual garments that you can see in person. There are lots of seamstresses that can copy almost any design, but some will try to cut corners using cheap, inferior fabrics. The last thing you'll want is a shapeless, itchy dress on your wedding day!

ETA: By the time you pay for labor and materials it's probably not that much cheaper, probably only a couple hundred bucks in savings. IMO, the designer dress is probably a better buy in the long run, plus you'll receive a quality dress when it's all said and done.

Last edited:
Back