Have you had crazy growth and retention thanks to large plaits?

silenttullip

If so please share your

Reggie
Amount of braids
Photos of styles
How long you've done it
What do others think
Do you cover them with a wig

TIA

hey, I can't really say that I have.

I just bought a wig a couple of weeks ago so I am going to have my hair in braids for a while. I haven't worn the wig out yet, because I am still practicing with the braids. Next week I am planning on washing and blowdrying my hair and braid it back. I decided to blowdry cause I can't braid my hair with 2 textures.

I keep my hair in two large plaits. After washing I put conditioner on sections of my hair, then seal with oil. I make a part in the middle (vertically) and make two low plaited ponies at the base of my head. I wrap the ends around and around, then pin everything under so it doesn't unravel. I take a scarf and tie my hair down really tight. In the morning my hair is mostly dry, flat, and I wig it up. This has taken me from SL to almost BSL. My reggie was started in 2009-2010 and has developed since then, but this is the basic idea. It also minimizes the amount of of splits and breakage since my ends are always protected. I wish i had done this earlier. My hair was stuck at SL before I started this method.

i dont know about crazy growth but i do think the best length retention ive had as a natural was by doing my hair this way. my hair was thick from root to tip. after wet buns and heat came into the picture my hair was never as thick.:nono:

looking back it wasnt the "cutest" look but i always thought my hair looked "done" and wasnt concerned with how others felt about my chunky braids.if they werent gonna help me comb it,they can suck my toes was my mentality.i hated combing my hair and wanted to finish the process of styling as quick as possible with little daily maintenance. i had to redo them frequently though because my hair would frizz at a drop of a hat and chunky braid/twists arent cute with frizz. now i would probably wear most of them under a wig or a hat. especially the super chunky ones.

i dont know if some of mine would qualify as big to you but from the sizes ive seen on fotki and the forums, mine were fairly large.

id do anything from 2-25-ish.the bigger the better although as i got older i did do more of them and with more parting precision. i never did them smaller other then an handful of times i did micros or just braided the roots. id slather them with kids organics detangling lotion or africa best liqid mayo and then add some heavy butter or grease (avocado butter or plain Vaseline)and twist/braid my hair making sure the ends were sealed into coils so they wouldnt tangle. i would also protien treat weekly with duo tex.

HTH

Click for larger pics.

6-7 jumbo braids

2 jumbo braids

Last edited:
Back