Have you ever felt like your hair options were restricted by your profession? (long)

Have you ever felt like your hair options were restricted by your profession?

• Yes, but I just sucked it up.

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Yes, but I did what I wanted with my hair anyway.

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Yes, but I agree that certain styles are inappropriate in the workplace.

Votes: 38 39.2%
  • Sometimes.

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • No.

Votes: 22 22.7%

• Total voters
Re: Have you ever felt like your hair options were restricted by your profession? (lo

How to style my hair was definately a consideration for me when I was planning on entering law school. I've since become a SAHM, so what I do with my hair doesn't really matter now from that standpoint.

But in other office jobs I've had, I have worried about looking too "ethnic" for the others. Unfortunately, people will make crazy associations with hairstyles and it makes it hard for them to really "see" you as you are.

Example:
My mom (she's white) came to me a few years ago when everyone in my area was rocking long cornrows that hung down their backs. "What does that MEAN?" she asked all passionately. Apparently, she thought that only lesbians would wear this style!!! :lachen:(She's a total bigot when it comes to lesbians) She had been glaring at women with this style, sure they were coming for her drawers! :lachen:

Nope not at all. People's attitudes and lack of work ethic will restrict them at work. I continue to climb the corporate ladder and am currently the ONLY female in management in my department.

It isn't because of my hairstyles but because of my aptitude, capabilities and skills.

Focus on gaining and honing the skills and the world can be your oyster. People are paying folks nowadays for expertise so find an industry and skill, get certified in it and use the brain God gave you and one can definitely do well regardless of how your hair is.

Re: Have you ever felt like your hair options were restricted by your profession? (lo

cheetarah1980 said:
I work in corporate America (Fortune 500 company) and you are right, some styles are NOT appropriate for work. However, your hair doesn't have to look "as close to white as possible" in order to be presentable. Honestly, in an all white environment, as long as your hair is neat and doesn't draw attention, white folks don't notice our hair nearly as much as we think they do. Cornrows that are styled into a neat bun at the nape of your neck is indeed a professional style because I've seen other professional black women wearing it. Also, microbraids can also be professional (however, I wouldn't wear them cascading down, but rather in a neat updo). Any type of hair can look professional or unprofessional depending upon how it is styled. Heck, the president of the Xerox corporation is a black woman who sports a lovely salt n' pepper TWA.

Fellow corporate climber here. I agree 100%.

I know I'm late in this thread, but as a "noodlehead", I have to say no my hair options are not limited by my profession.

"What do you do?" I'm an IT Consultant that spends 100% of her time at OTHER companies (companies aside from the one I work for).

My take: do what you want as long as its neat and realize that your hair is a PIECE of your total presentation. I've worn my hair relaxed, natural (as it is now), in individual braids and cornrows. They key is to making sure that your hair is neat. In other words, your hair does not make up for 100% of even 50% of your appearance. You are a total package.

When I was wearing cornrows, I didn't keep them in longer than 10 days to ensure that there was no rattiness, no puffiness, no fuzzies or fly aways. And I didn't go crazy with the styles. Two to three rows of cornrows, usually straight back, or with a side or middle part. Curls at the end and no crazy amounts of hair (packages). As a natural, I'm having fun with my curly hair. But again, it stays neat.

My point? No I'm not limited by my profession because I think hair is a piece of my total presentation package. Cuz we've all seen the girls who come to work with their hair on point, and the rest of the situation is one HOT FRIGGIN MESS. :)

Last edited:

amwcah said:
As a teacher, I find that I'm restricted by my profession. Personally, I don't think that some hairstyles are appropriate for my position. I would like to wear a braided mohawk, but of course that is out of the question. I thought I would be able to wear this style in the summer, but I have and will be working as an administrator during this time.

I do wear braided styles such as cornrows to the side. However, when at work I style it in a bun and wear it down only after hours. I think that braidouts is pushing it a bit, but I wear that style as well. When I become an administrator;) , I will no longer wear braidouts.:(

I've seen a couple of teachers at the school I substitute at with that hairstyle. I didn't even think of it as being unprofessional when I saw it on them but I never considered wearing it.

Law enforcement profession checking in, cant wear hair on your collar and dont even think of dyeing it an off the wall color! My hair is in a protective style (octopus clip) everyday.. I wore my hair down a few months back and all of the men I work with were looking at me for having hair on my collar!! I guess I was just being rebellious...:p I guess you could say my job promotes "protective styles":)

Sometimes it is really us with the problem not them.

Country Gal, I agree with this. I work in corporate America and my boss is black and hires many blacks which is good. But she'll tell us straight up to make it in this business we need to have hair that swings. She straight trippin. She is anti-natural styles. She wanted one of our interns to press her hair because she says people are so focused on your hair they don't realize your talent and value. She doesn't like braids or weaves, or high ponytails. She got upset at my co-worker who cut her apl hair to short style. With that being said, I think we have more of an issue than they (white folks) do.

I'm relaxed and have been for a long time. But when I'm stretching my relaxers people stay trippin in my office which is mostly black. They'll ask you when are you getting a perm, tell you that you should wear your hair down more often. But I just do me. And thats what we all need to do at the end of the day. Do you.

I think some jobs limit hair options, but it's all about appearing professional. When I interviewed for my current role - before I knew about the jeans culture - I had a TWA and so I wore it as it was and put on my suit and some pearl stud earrings. I got the job, I got offered 2 jobs looking like that.
Fast forward to this year. I'm looking to move to Accenture - I think they're fortune 500, I'm not sure, but they're pretty big, international and rank really high in the IT/Consulting fields. I just put those braids in my siggy pic in and they wanted me to interview in 2 days. I took those things STRAIGHT out. The look is cute. I don't wanna be cute at Accenture I wanna be professional and HOT. So I did a wash and go, used my denman and tried to get my fro as small, shrunken and neat - which is how i prefer it - as possible. I put 2 headbands in it, one navy blue and one white to match my suit and shirt and went to the interview. They told me that afternoon I had the job. No one glanced at my fro ONCE. If someone is glancing at your hair at all you're giving the wrong impression.

I doubt I'll be wearing single plaits out at Accenture. It's just not a mature look on me, if I could pin the top half up and wear the back out, kinda like That's so Ravens mum, then I will. but until then it's a no no. I currently have braid extensions and I never wear them out, I twist them into a bun. I don't think it's professional on ANYONE of ANY colour to wear hair passed APL out in a profession like Law or Banking simply because that isn't the image of them that we have. It's just a bit too fun. I want my bank manager to look stern and serious, I don't want her to look like she's goin to the beach. I know it's a double standard btu you have to imagine how you would react if you saw someone in that profession looking like that.

Oh yeah, law enforcement do have hairdo policies.

K Stokes said:
Law enforcement profession checking in, cant wear hair on your collar and dont even think of dyeing it an off the wall color! My hair is in a protective style (octopus clip) everyday.. I wore my hair down a few months back and all of the men I work with were looking at me for having hair on my collar!! I guess I was just being rebellious...:p I guess you could say my job promotes "protective styles":)

I agree that not all styles are for the workplace and when I lived in NYC I was EXTREMELY conservative in dress and hairstyle. I have noticed, however, that since moving to North Carolina folks are more laid back and more is acceptable (in the way of appearance). The girls are a bit more should I say, Daring (LOL) with their hairstyles but I'm in the marketing field so I tend to still lean on the side of conservative. For instance, now that I'm trying to grow out my hair and take care of it better I either wear it all back in a bun (with my baggy on of course and mainly because I'm washing more often), or put in my 20" inch clip-in extensions but I always put it up when I'm in the office. Well, I was at a function this weekend and saw a co-worker and she walked up and said "Oh my gosh, look at your hair. Why don't you wear it down more often, you look so sassy" (LOL). And that's exactly why I don't, I don't want to be sassy or anything else at work so that I can be taken seriously. Again, some fields may be a bit different but generally speaking people do make judgements based on our hairstyles at work.

The company I work for is quintessentially corporate America. I've never felt limited or restricted to certain styles. :nono:

I work in an investment bank and this has greatly influenced what I do with my hair. I relaxed my hair for this job and I only wear my hair in buns (so I guess I'm on my own personal hide your hair challenge:) ).

There is one bonus to this situation: Even when I come in with my hair jacked up - and yes, I can somehow find a way to jack up a bun - it doesn't even matter. In my entire department (nearly 400 people) I have only counted 5 black people and somehow, most white people cannot tell when our hair is on point or not. I guess tehy just assume we all wear wigs....:ohwell:

Back