Have you ever felt like giving up during your hair journey?

lilyofthenile

I sometimes feel like giving up.. mostly because I'm impatient when it comes to hair growth T_T. I started taking care of my hair since September 2010, I don't feel like I got 4.5 inches average =/ and weirdest thing is my hair grew like weeds when I wore extension braids (the Poetic Justice type which messed up my edges and also, I rarely conditioned, DC's or cowashed T_T). I once remembered gaining like 4 inches of growth in the space of six months when I was younger =/

So here I am trying so much to just have my hair grow at least 0.5 inches, I don't know... my hair has definitely become very thick (which was my number one focus as well) since I started taking care of it and I did have some growth... I don't know I try to do whatever I can.. I just feel like giving up sometimes because I'm sadly so length obsessed T_T please don't judge me for wanting length =/ I've been told many times to just ignore it and it'll grow but... it's hard seeing all these beautiful heads of hair LOL =/

So anything that made you ladies want to give up during your hair journey? And how did you combat it?

Last edited:
Yes.
Not because of the growth rate but because of how i handled my hair and the health of it.
A few months back i changed my mindset. I stopped thinking like i was still relaxed. I stopped wanting/needing straight hair and i have never looked back. I have put down the blowdryer and the flat iron and the health of my hair has taken off.

The pic in my avatar was the last time i blowed my hair out (beg of June 2011) and i won't be doing it again for a looong time.

Wearing my hair in a wet set braid-out actually suits my face shape better than straight pulled back hair - it frames my face and feels so soft and bouncy (not fried dry) and i've fallen in love with it all over again.

Hang on in there

Last edited:
I don't see my hair journey as a "diet". This is my new lifestyle. I will forever know what it takes to keep my hair healthy:yep: I can implement those practices or I can go get a fly, fried, died and laid to the side style (same as a donut:look:) but that doesn't mean I gave up :nono: That means I slipped or needed a change.

I don't think your tired of your HHJ :look: I think your tired of watching your hair grow inch by inch :grin:

Yep & sometimes I do. I simply put my hair in a bun or throw on a half wig every day for a few weeks.

After a little break, I get back to it. I think my hair appreciates the break as well. I've experienced some incredible growth spurts during these breaks. Actually, I don't even think they are really spurts... It just feels like one after a couple weeks if ignoring my hair lol. Watched pot theory.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

I started my HHJ in 2007 after learning I'd have to swim every other day. My hair has improved, but I am still experiencing setback after setback. Sometimes I feel like giving up because after what for years I should have seen 12-24 inches by now, but I have only retained about four and even that seems fragile. :spinning::spinning::spinning: I'm going nuts.

Aww me too sometimes, I am obsessed with length ATM...I feel like my hair is super short right now and it's a bummer...just put it away for awhile and stop thinking about it...that will help.

Yea when I first started I was soo impatient and wanted my hair to hurry up and grow. I sometimes get discouraged because of how thin my hair is. I feel like no matter what I do to my hair it will always look sickly lol

It comes and goes for me. I just have to make sure I wont stop caring for my hair even if I'm bored or frustrated with it. I made that mistake in the past and I'm still paying for it.

Yep. After most of my hair fell out, my give a damn broke. There was a span of about two years when I didn't give a flying fck about my hair-- didn't even touch it. Didn't wash or condition or moisturize or comb.

All I did was change my scarves when I left the house.

But I snapped out of it and am now back in business. :giggle:

yes, I am at that point now, I took update pics yesterday and my hair is the same length It was back in July 2010. I am a slow grower and my last trim was July 2010 and then May 2011. I know my hair has gotten thicker but trying to gain length past SL has been a long journey. I reached SL in August 2009 and still not APL right now, well I had just hit APL in May and got a trim.

Yes -when I used to have problems with my hair matting etc.

I've felt like handing my hair over to someone plenty of times (getting someone else to do it), but I'm methodological, and until *I* figure out how to manage it, I can't let someone do what they like.

I need to know the Minimum my hair needs if that makes sense
- e.g. I need heat with dc's (or it won’t penetrate).
- I can’t get away with a dime size amount of condish through my hair.. the middle will not be conditioned.

Leaving it alone in a hairband -pony or bun does wonders though lol :wink2:, as well as focusing on particular problems -e.g. matting, edges. I look forward to the length at each relaxer.

Yes. I've been here since 2006 and I had yet another setback from a ponytail holder. I'm going to get a bob and call it a day. I just need a break. I can manage healthy hair so I'm sure with the all knowledge I've gained I'll be able to maintain a bob with no problem. I'm just tired

sometimes i feel like cutting it off and starting over, or not starting at all. i hate my hair being so fragile. if i do one wrong thing, it will cause a setback.

I often feel like my hair is on slow-growth mode, too...but then I look at pics I took 2-3 months ago, and see a difference. Be patient and don't stress about it.

There are times when I have been frustrated with my hair (tired of relaxers, can't cornrow, can't rollerset, dislike flatironing, hair broke with box braids, edges and crown broke with buns), but I haven't ever really wanted to give up. I have wanted to fast-forward into healthy, even hair, though.

This may sound silly, :look: but having this ticker in my siggy has helped me a bit. When I got impatient during my transition, it was a nice little reminder to focus on how far I have come instead of how far I have to go.

I have felt like giving up especially last year since I felt my hair wasn't growing. I just got so sick at looking at my hair so I decided that I wasn't going to look at my hair and weave it up. I hated washing and dcing every week, moisturizing and sealing, vitamin, baggying and everything that had to do w/ healthy hair care. I changed my reggie to a simple reggie and was surprised how my hair grew when I stopped obsessing about it.

Yes, yes and yes.

I figured out that I needed to just stop trying to focus on length and also stop trying to jump on every bandwagon that comes along. My regimen is so simple now, and I no longer measure my hair length. I just let it be and let it grow.

My HHJ has become second nature to me. I wouldn't feel right without doing a co wash, deep conditioning or something.

I am length obsessed though...and curl obsessed. Like..I love my curls but I like them to look a certain way. :look:

Yes sometimes I do get tired. But then there are days like today when I can see the results of my hard work. Slow and steady works just as well.

I don't ever feel like giving up, but I do get tired sometimes with my reggie. So throwing it in a bun or under a wig gives me a nice break from having to mess with my hair too much.

I'm too obsessed with length and the health of my hair that I just can't quit after all this time I've invested into my hair.

I never felt like giving up on my hair journey... not sure how to give up on my hair unless I just cut it all off in frustration. :lol:

I don't know about giving up on my hair, but I have felt like my hair wasn't growing.
For about 3 months straight I got mad and just kept getting weaves back to back because I was so sick of looking at my hair. I took my last weave out a few weeks ago and to my surprise a friend told me my hair was long. I tried to keep cool because nobody has ever said that to me that actually had long hair their self. I wasn't thinking about my hair for so long, so I guess thats why it shocked me.

Anyway, I think if you stop thinking about your hair so much you'll feel better about it.

Not necessarily giving up, but I had grown tired of it (not so much the journey, but my hair..if that makes sense). Which leads to boredom, which leads to not taking care of my hair properly---which results in not so great things. I don't think I've suffered a setback per se---my hair; while still healthy and growing, is noticeably thinner from lack of moisturizing. Needless to say, I've since snapped of out boredom; making it to my goal with two strands of hair, would NOT be a good look.

This leg of my journey, I am focusing on thicken up my hair. From what I have read, it will take both time, patience, and tender-loving care. Hence why I am back in extension braids---this is how I transitioned and they have yet to let me down. Plus, I can keep it simple and still change up the style, length, texture and color and STILL manage to take care of my hair.

~S~

Yep, I've given up quite a few times. After failing to even be able to get to SL for several years, there have definitely been many times I've just taken a break from the boards and decided that perhaps long hair just wasn't going to happen for me. Or either I decided bump all the extra protective styling and wanted to just enjoy the little bit of growth I did see for a while.

Now that I'm natural and cut way back on heat, I'm getting close to APL and starting to believe again that my hair can actually get long.

I don't see my hair journey as a "diet". This is my new lifestyle. I will forever know what it takes to keep my hair healthy:yep: I can implement those practices or I can go get a fly, fried, died and laid to the side style (same as a donut:look:) but that doesn't mean I gave up :nono: That means I slipped or needed a change.

I don't think your tired of your HHJ :look: I think your tired of watching your hair grow inch by inch :grin:

Thank you so MUCH, I really needed this :yep:

I have to look at it
that way. Blessings!

I cannot ever give up my hair journey as it is my life now. That would be like me giving up looking after my teeth.
I am getting fed up a bit because my hair hasn't been retaining well but I think I just need to adjust my regimen a bit by doing less to it. Starting from yesterday I put myself on a no combing challenge so I'm gonna see how that works.

Luckily no, but I know exactly how you feel. When I first started my healthy hair journey along with my sister, her hair was thriving and mine wasn't, that kinda saddened me but I still kept going. The most important thing is to put health before length and to be consistent with your regimen. And don't just think about feeding your hair externally but also internally: eat lots of fruits and veggies, drink plenty of water, exercise (even if it's just walking) and stay positive!

Back