Has Silk Elements reverted on you?

Wishin4BSL

Hey all! I heard that Silk Elements lye relaxer can revert after a few weeks. I was wondering how many people have experienced this?

There were many who tried Silk Elements with high praise, only to come back a few weeks later with problems of reverting :mad: . So you're not the only one...

I have to say it reverted for me also, in a way. I relaxed a bit straighter than I had intended but after a few weeks, my hair now seems like it is textlaxed. So I'm not complaining. That was my original intent.

HoneyDew said:
reversion - no. underprocessing - YES!

That's why I did not like it.

You're right. Underprocessed and not so much reversion. That isn't possible right? Reversion. I will stick with underprocessed although it did seem a bit straighter at first. Ok, now I'm confused :ohwell: :lol:

Guyaneek said:
You're right. Underprocessed and not so much reversion. That isn't possible right? Reversion. I will stick with underprocessed although it did seem a bit straighter at first. Ok, now I'm confused :ohwell: :lol:

Yeah, I don't believe in that reversion crap! I am starting to like being somewhat underprocessed, but I would like my new growth to be more manageable. Silk Elements did nothing for me.

HoneyDew said:
Yeah, I don't believe in that reversion crap! I am starting to like being somewhat underprocessed, but I would like my new growth to be more manageable. Silk Elements did nothing for me.

I didn't believe it either, it took it having to happen to my own head to believe. I was BONE straight right after relaxing, I have the pics, I know. Three weeks later, BAM, it reverted.

I'll cosign on this somewhat. I can't say that it has reverted, but it's definitely "thicker" at the roots in some parts than previously (I'm 3.5 weeks right now). But, I can't say yet if it's a bad thing. I mean, my hair is still soft and manageable and doesn't feel underprocessed. I don't know...I'm also thinking it's just new growth. I'll update in a week or two.

Last edited:
Say it ain't so! I'm 16 days post relaxer using SE after switching from Phyto. I had NG by the end of the 2nd week, so I don't know what I'll do if I have reversion too.

I self-relaxed for the first time a couple of weeks ago with the SE regular. The front is perfect--not too straight but definitely straight enough to get a comb through. The back is a tad underprocessed but I kind of like it that way. I don't see any evidence of any reversion though. It seemed a little underprocessed in the back left corner of my head after, and still feels about the same way. I'll keep monitoring it over the next couple of weeks.

By the way, I was please with how SE made my hair feel. I used Affirm before and my hair was like stiff hay right after a touch up. SE left it soft and silky--will definitely stick with it.

I would have to say yes too!:look: I am 3.5 weeks post and I tried to flat iron just yesterday because I look like I looked at 12 weeks post:eek: . The 'flat iron' didn't last an hour and I looked like I had a fro! Oh well, I was hoping it was mad new growth:lol:

Catina72 said:
I would have to say yes too!:look: I am 3.5 weeks post and I tried to flat iron just yesterday because I look like I looked at 12 weeks post:eek: . The 'flat iron' didn't last an hour and I looked like I had a fro! Oh well, I was hoping it was mad new growth:lol:
Oh no, Catina!! But didnt you use the mild one this time? I think the regular did a great job on my hair; I dont think Im using the mild again because its not really strong enough.:)

it reverted on my hair and left a brownish tint to my hair. i don't like it and will never use it again. i'm sticking with ORS.

I am about 4 weeks out and I haven't had any problems. I am still in love with it. My hair has never been so soft and have so much body. I am sorry to hear that about the other people but I guess it just depends on your hair. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
I self relaxed ( I hadn't self relaxed in almost a year!) 6wks ago. I used regular lye. I have not had any problems.....I love this relaxer! My stylist was using affirm regular on me. I didn't have a problem with it, but it did seem like my hair was extra dry and shedding when it was time for retouch....I usually go 8 to 10wks. I tried silk elements because I read about on this board and my funds were low ;-). I am gonna stick with it, my hair is shiny and healthy looking. I have never in my life heard of a relaxer reverting....this something new to me....very interesting!

shunta said:
Oh no, Catina!! But didnt you use the mild one this time? I think the regular did a great job on my hair; I dont think Im using the mild again because its not really strong enough.:)

No I didn't use a mild, I still had some regular left over from last time:look: . The difference was I did it myself instead of with the help of my best friend. I may not have applied it like she did last time....:look:

I agree with Honeydew. I don't believe in this reversion thing (check my siggy :lol:), but I guess everyone knows their own hair soo... :ohwell:

secretdiamond said:
I agree with Honeydew. I don't believe in this reversion thing (check my siggy :lol:)

I don't believe in reversion from a relaxer either. Either it's been relaxed or not. Can't reverse a chemical reaction. BUT, I do wonder if the some of the waviness coming back is a result of not adequately relaxing in the first place. Did everyone keep the relaxer on as long as necessary? I can't remember how long it said to relax for my really coarse hair, but I know mine was washed out at about 14 minutes due to burning. If I had based better, I would've left it for another few minutes.

Just a thought...

CarmelTreat said:
I don't believe in reversion from a relaxer either. Either it's been relaxed or not. Can't reverse a chemical reaction. BUT, I do wonder if the some of the waviness coming back is a result of not adequately relaxing in the first place. Did everyone keep the relaxer on as long as necessary? I can't remember how long it said to relax for my really coarse hair, but I know mine was washed out at about 14 minutes due to burning. If I had based better, I would've left it for another few minutes.

Just a thought...

I don't believe in reversion either, but I'm wondering if underprocessing or something else may be to blame in these cases. I've read (on LHCF) that those ladies who do henna treatments have a harder time getting their hair to relax bone straight. Also, I think some protein reconstructors can affect a relaxer, if used immediately after processing.

LocksOfLuV said:
It's really easy to say you don't believe something if it never happened to you. I say experience is the best teller.

That's true. But I'm just going by what I know of the chemical process of relaxing. I'm going to try Silk Elements in a few weeks, so we'll see what happens.

preciousjewel76 said:
That's true. But I'm just going by what I know of the chemical process of relaxing. I'm going to try Silk Elements in a few weeks, so we'll see what happens.

Yeah everyone's head is different. It may or may not revert on you. I am VERY knowledgabe about the chemical process of relaxing too. But I don't know what goes on with everyone else's head/body chemistry. I try to keep that in mind (now, but I used didn't think it wasn't possible) when it comes to hair and discrediting someone else's experiences.

Back