Has anyone managed to successfully avoid direct heat?

I would like to avoid so much direct heat, but it seems difficult to do and still manage to keep my SEXY going on:D.

I was wondering if any of you ladies have managed to avoid direct heat altogether, and if so, how do you do it?

tips.....
Tips.....
TIPS.....

:D

I have only used direct heat twice this year, and each time was just to show length. I usually rollerset or do braidouts/twistouts or airdry in a bun. Maybe you could try some of those styles. :) Good Luck.

I've avoided it for years.

I used to be really addicted to the blow dryer, until I had a boyfriend who requested that I just leave my hair alone for a change. He ultimately broke my heart, but he changed my hair forever.

You really have to try various techniques and products until you find what works for you. How about roller setting? I don't do that currently, but I've seen people get great results with it.

As for me, I cowash and put my hair up while it's still wet or damp. I let it down to air dry later and then put it up again. IOW, I rarely wear it down or do anything special to it that would make me want to straighten it. Whether I'm "keeping my sexing" or not is another issue. ;)

I really don't need direct heat..only 3 times in the last year (to blow dry). If I had more length I would not need it. I use direct heat when I am going to braid my hair to make it eaiser to braid (I am natural). When I reach a few inches past SL then I will not need it. I just pull my hair back in a ponytail and when it dries it has dired straight

Isis and Serenity and others use Caruso rollers for curls and I know that pin curls are popular for those who stay away from direct heat.

I use heat twice a year, the rest of the time I wear my hair curly, either up in a bun (every day style) or loose and natural.

I was addicted to flat irons before. I flat ironed my hair almost every day and I had a broken, ratty looking mess on my head.

I avoid direct heat by drying my hair in rollersets. I use gray and purple magnetic rollers and a hood dryer from Sally Beauty Supply.

One of my friends told me my hair looks sexy because of the volume that I get from rollersets. I've gotten more compliments on my hair now than when I got my hair flat ironed.

cutiebe2 said:
I really don't need direct heat..only 3 times in the last year (to blow dry). If I had more length I would not need it. I use direct heat when I am going to braid my hair to make it eaiser to braid (I am natural). When I reach a few inches past SL then I will not need it. I just pull my hair back in a ponytail and when it dries it has dired straight

Being natural, how do you manage to to get your hair to dry straight???

lisana said:
Isis and Serenity and others use Caruso rollers for curls and I know that pin curls are popular for those who stay away from direct heat.

I use pin curls too, but it is primarily to maintain curls that I already have. It really helps to minimize the use of heat, but I want to find a way to eliminate it altogether.

Maybe the Caruso rollers would work better. I hadn't actually thought about using those. Great suggestion!!!

lisana said:

I am always ready to co-sign on the Caruso rollers! They have been a lifesaver (and hair saver).

Katt73 said:
I am always ready to co-sign on the Caruso rollers! They have been a lifesaver (and hair saver).

Ok....so tell me more about the rollers. I don't know ANYTHING about the Caruso rollers. Fill me in Ladies!!!!!!!:)

Pincurls and braidouts are my best friend. I'm really too lazy to rollerset on a weekly basis (nor do I have the time) and I don't believe in using heat every week. So, I allow my hair to airdry loose then when it's 80% dry, I style it and leave it that way until the next wash day. It's been working well, and my hair is much thicker and healthier as a result.

ETA: I think it takes the right combo of products and practice and a shift away from the need to have perfect hair all the time. My definition of "perfect" has changed significantly because I don't even like the look of perfect, super straight hair anymore. I prefer hair that has a little wave or curl so that look lends itself to styles that don't require direct heat.

Last edited:
Divine Inspiration said:
ETA: I think it takes the right combo of products and practice and a shift away from the need to have perfect hair all the time. My definition of "perfect" has changed significantly because I don't even like the look of perfect, super straight hair anymore. I prefer hair that has a little wave or curl so that look lends itself to styles that don't require direct heat.

:yep: ITA w/ this post. This is something Im working on - not needing that perfect 'straight' look to feel pretty. Its hard breaking the habit when Ive been doing it over ten years. But Im getting there. :)

I have not used direct heat in over a year. I realized it was breaking my hair off and I was able to walk away. When I get deep into my transition I might consider a flat iron, but I don't think I will really need it. I'm a big fan of twistouts!

prospurr4 said:
I haven't used direct heat since Dec. 2005. I wash my hair weekly and airdry overnight in a rollerset.
I'm new so I apologize if my question is stupid :) But what kind of rollers do you use. The hard ones oor sponge?

last winter i was on the no heat challenge..scared at first but i was able to do it and stay in the challenge with:
  • braidouts
  • bantu knots
  • air drying
  • a variety of ponytails
  • rollersets
  • and the beloved Caruso Rollers...i wish i can remember the lady on here that has a 'do in her fotki frm using Caruso..beautiful..i think her name is Serinitybreeze or something like that...she inspired me to get Caruso...one of my best new hair purchases EVER!!!
My kids use them alot now.

I haven't used direct heat in a year or more. I can almost feel a pain go up my back when I use direct heat, I can feel my hair strands yelling at me.
Seriously it's not that hard. I get it washed and set so it's straight, the roots get blown out and then I wrap it. The next day I take it down and it's straight, I never have to use heat. If I want some shape I've been experimenting with pin curls (you have to play around with the placement of the pin to avoid a weird crimpt). You can also use steam rollers. I'm still practicing, but so far I've discovered that applying a little serum to the end and using end papers will prevent them from frizzing up and you'll get nice bouncy curls.

Last edited:
Divine Inspiration said:
Pincurls and braidouts are my best friend. I'm really too lazy to rollerset on a weekly basis (nor do I have the time) and I don't believe in using heat every week. So, I allow my hair to airdry loose then when it's 80% dry, I style it and leave it that way until the next wash day. It's been working well, and my hair is much thicker and healthier as a result.

Since joining this board, my definition of "perfect" has changed also. When you are stretching for months at a time, you gotta be able to throw that idea of silky smooth out the window!!!:lachen:

I just want to learn to make my hair neat. It doesn't necessarily have to be silky straight, but just neat. I am at a point where my hair is about 20 weeks post and will not easily cooperate unless I flat iron. I don't want to always have it wet and pulled back in a bun, but I need to know what I CAN do with it to keep it healthy.

PLEASE ladies, keep the responses comin'!!!!

SleekandBouncy said:
I haven't used direct heat in a year or more. I can almost feel a pain go up my back when I use direct heat, I can feel my hair strands yelling at me.
I'm kidding, but seriously it's not that hard. I get it washed and set so it's straight, the roots get blown out and then I wrap it. The next day I take it down and it's straight, I never have to use heat. If I want some shape I've been experimenting with pin curls (you have to play around with the placement of the pin to avoid a weird crimpt). You can also use steam rollers. I'm still practicing, but so far I've discovered that applying a little serum to the end and using end papers will prevent them from frizzing up and you'll get nice bouncy curls.

I see your photos in your signature and how sleek and shiny it is. That is wonderful that you can achieve that with no direct heat. Imma need ALL the details on how you do that. The only thing with me is that I work out 5 days a week, PLUS I am currently stationed in a humidity haven also known as San Antonio, Texas. I am trying to really figure out what neat hairstyles I can wear in uniform (can't fall past the collar and can't interfere with the way that my hat fits).

I haven't used a curling iron for a few years. I have a hood dryer that I use once a week. I do a roller set and wrap which will last for 2-3 days then my hair is in a pony tail for the remainder of the week.

thegirltolove said:
I see your photos in your signature and how sleek and shiny it is. That is wonderful that you can achieve that with no direct heat. Imma need ALL the details on how you do that. The only thing with me is that I work out 5 days a week, PLUS I am currently stationed in a humidity haven also known as San Antonio, Texas. I am trying to really figure out what neat hairstyles I can wear in uniform (can't fall past the collar and can't interfere with the way that my hat fits).

OT-
I don't have anything to add, but I just wanted to sympathize with you. I grew up in SA so I know just what your talking about when you mention the humidy. I don't think I ever had good hair day when I lived there:ohwell:

Braided~Beauty said:
OT-
I don't have anything to add, but I just wanted to sympathize with you. I grew up in SA so I know just what your talking about when you mention the humidy. I don't think I ever had good hair day when I lived there:ohwell:

So you FEEL me then...... Lord, send me some help!!!!!

OT: I am LOVIN the Soul Glo avatar!!!!:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Last edited:
thegirltolove said:
Being natural, how do you manage to to get your hair to dry straight???
Its really not hard...I can either braid it into about 8-10 braids which will give me wavy hair that is basically straight....or I can pull it into one ponytail and it will dry stretched out. Right now the pony tail option is hard because not all of my hair fit into a ponytail

Here's A Method That I Use Which Is Fast For Me And Allows Me To Use No Direct Heat (Thanx Sylver 2 :kiss:)

1.I Poo And Dc
2.Apply Leave In,Seal With Oil
3.Tie Down Hair And Put Rollers On The Ends Like So:

4.Air Dry Over Night
5.Sit Under Dryer For 30 Min The Next Morning
6.Take Down Rollers,Comb Out,Apply NTM No Frizz Cream,Cross Wrap
7.Saran Wrap And Go Back Under Dryer For About 15min
8.Take Down Saran Wrap Comb Out Wrap And.....Voila! Results In My Siggy:D

HTH

Last edited:
atrinibeauty said:
Here's A Method That I Use Which Is Fast For Me And Allows Me To Use No Direct Heat (Thanx Sylver 2 :kiss:)

1.I Poo And Dc
2.Apply Leave In,Seal With Oil
3.Tie Down Hair And Put Rollers On The Ends Like So:

4.Air Dry Over Night
5.Sit Under Dryer For 30 Min The Next Morning
6.Take Down Rollers,Comb Out,Apply NTM No Frizz Cream,Cross Wrap
7.Saran Wrap And Go Back Under Dryer For About 15min
8.Take Down Saran Wrap Comb Out Wrap And.....Voila! Results In My Siggy:D

HTH

Ooooooo.....GOOD JOB!!!! Very nice results!!! I wanted to try that saran wrap thingy that Macherieamor talks about. I think I will have to try out this method.

What did you do with the crown of your head? I can't really make it out in the pics.

Thank You:D The Front Of My Head Is Tied Down So The Crown Part Is Flat:)You Really Should Try The Saran Wrap Treatment! It's Really Easy To Do And You Get The Straightness W/o The Heat :clap:

atrinibeauty said:
Thank You:D The Front Of My Head Is Tied Down So The Crown Part Is Flat:)You Really Should Try The Saran Wrap Treatment! It's Really Easy To Do And You Get The Straightness W/o The Heat :clap:

Hmmm......I wonder how well this works on natural hair???? I am currently about 20 weeks post and....

Tha roots....Tha roots....Tha roots are on FIYA!!!!!!
:band2:
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Back