Has anyone managed to successfully avoid direct heat?

thegirltolove said:
Hmmm......I wonder how well this works on natural hair???? I am currently about 20 weeks post and....

Tha roots....Tha roots....Tha roots are on FIYA!!!!!!:band2:
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

:lol: :lol: :lachen: :lachen:
Girl You Have Me Dying Over Here:lachen:I'm Not Sure Of Results On Natural Hair Though:confused: I Think Pokahontas Has Done It Before:scratchch I Would Double Check In Her Fotki To See;)

I haven't used direct heat for years. I just keep my hair in protective styles and well moisturised. That's about it. I am thinking about flat ironing this Christmas but I probably won't. I like my hair wavy.

I rarely if ever use direct heat which is why I sold both my flat irons on the exchange forum lol. I gave up on it because #1 I wasnt that great at styling it anyway and #2 it wasnt worth it because Im texlaxed and in this FL humidity forget about holding a style for long, especially when I work out too.

I did a lot of wash n gos in the spring/summer....it was my signature krinkly big hair messy look lol. Sometimes it looked pretty good and sometimes pretty freakin bad! If I wasnt so lazy I wouldve done braidouts instead. But I liked being able to cowash, apply product and a headband, scrunch and be out the door. Now Im making use of my pibbs and doing some kind of style about twice a week. Once I rollerset and the second time Ill do a twistout/braidout,etc. I find sitting under the dryer really cuts down on the frizz versus airdrying. When I airdry I usually wear a french twist, a french braid, or a bun to hide the frizzy ends I get as a result.

My next experiment will be using my carusos and the saran wrapping under the dryer. When I use the carusos alone I get frizz bc Im adding steam to the humidity that is already there. But the saran wrap my seal the moisture in and close the cuticles. If it works, it would be a nice quick style I could do when I needed to go somewhere and didnt have time for a wash n set.

I rarely if ever use direct heat which is why I sold both my flat irons on the exchange forum lol. I gave up on it because #1 I wasnt that great at styling it anyway and #2 it wasnt worth it because Im texlaxed and in this FL humidity forget about holding a style for long, especially when I work out too.

I did a lot of wash n gos in the spring/summer....it was my signature krinkly big hair messy look lol. Sometimes it looked pretty good and sometimes pretty freakin bad! If I wasnt so lazy I wouldve done braidouts instead. But I liked being able to cowash, apply product and a headband, scrunch and be out the door. Now Im making use of my pibbs and doing some kind of style about twice a week. Once I rollerset and the second time Ill do a twistout/braidout,etc. I find sitting under the dryer really cuts down on the frizz versus airdrying. When I airdry I usually wear a french twist, a french braid, or a bun to hide the frizzy ends I get as a result.

My next experiment will be using my carusos and the saran wrapping under the dryer. When I use the carusos alone I get frizz bc Im adding steam to the humidity that is already there. But the saran wrap my seal the moisture in and close the cuticles. If it works, it would be a nice quick style I could do when I needed to go somewhere and didnt have time for a wash n set.

Please let me know how your experiment goes.:yep: Been thinking about getting some Carusos.

When I was relaxed I use to do roller sets and then wrap it
As a natural I am doing twist outs, braid outs, weave etc.

I've avoided direct heat for years...I have a flat iron still in the box and a crimper and wound up giving them to my little cousin because I never used them. I don't own a curling iron. I do have one of the kits with the electric rollers, their blue when hot, then turn white once they cool off. I rarely use them but their quick, like curls are set in less than ten minutes. I almost always rollerset my hair after I wash it. and depending on how much new growth I have, I'll wash in four sections, and airdry with some coconut oil and polishing gloss to control frizz. for special occasions I use perm rods with the end wrap papers.
here's what the rod looks like, and how my hair usually comes out. I used Motions foaming wrap lotion and Proclaim polishing gloss ( they now have one with olive oil, I get them from Sally's)

mind you the pics are about 8 hours later after attending a wedding:yep: dancing and sweating my a** off, and still had some bounce left.
the set usually last at least a week, sometimes I separate each individual curl into 2-4 curls for an even fuller look.

Last edited:
Not sure if you want advice from relaxed or naturals but I avoid heat for very long periods of time. It's mostly out of laziness.

If I bun my hair wet, use gel, a little oil and a scarf, my hair dries straight. Some of my family members thought I had heat-damaged my hair because it looked so straight but my hair stretches out VERY easily and stays that way until the next wash.:yep:

Back