Has anyone had BKT long enough to fully revert back?

secretrose

I am just curious as to how long the full reversion took and if your curl pattern returned to exactly the same way it was prior to the process. TIA.

I am getting alarmed by how many ppl are suddenly undergoing this without someone testifying to the long term effects like the reversion.

What if the hair does not fully revert back? Yikes!

Last edited:
I'm surprised it's made such a huge splash, also! I mean, I love it and was willing to take the plunge. I even love the new curls, so I wouldn't have an all out fit if my hair didn't revert. I like the lack of tangles. But I am surprised that so many others are also willing to jump on board.

The one person I know of is Qdeez. She has let her hair revert and has 3b/c curls. Other than that, everyone that begins usually continues. Even Qdeez did it for over a year until she reached WSL

I, for one, do not plan on allowing my hair to revert any time soon. I'd be sold with the 5 minute detangling, alone.

I'm surprised it's made such a huge splash, also! I mean, I love it and was willing to take the plunge. I even love the new curls, so I wouldn't have an all out fit if my hair didn't revert. I like the lack of tangles. But I am surprised that so many others are also willing to jump on board.

The one person I know of is Qdeez. She has let her hair revert and has 3b/c curls. Other than that, everyone that begins usually continues. Even Qdeez did it for over a year until she reached WSL

I, for one, do not plan on allowing my hair to revert any time soon. I'd be sold with the 5 minute detangling, alone.

Was her hair originally 3b/c or did the process loosen the curl pattern?

I am relaxed but I am concerned for the naturals undergoing this because it seems like they are going on faith that their hair will eventually revert back to natural. I would hate to see all these lovely heads re-transitioning in a few months.

I am relaxed but I am concerned for the naturals undergoing this because it seems like they are going on faith that their hair will eventually revert back to natural. I would hate to see all these lovely heads re-transitioning in a few months.

Same here.
It's kinda scary.
and um....formaldehyde? iono bout dat

Here's another complicated question...

If you keep doing the BKT treatment every few months, will it eventually make your hair completely straight?

If you keep doing the BKT treatment every few months, will it eventually make your hair completely straight?

Exactly, I think we need a few ppl to confirm that reversion is absolutely the end result. We have been lied to before by so many companies. I would hate for this to be a big scam.

It can... it depends on if you allow the treatment to wear off before reapplication. Or how much you allow it to wear off, I suppose. There are some who have a goal of straight hair. So the reapply more often than others that want to keep some curl. Brittany (4b curls) did multiple treatments back to back until she got straight, fresh out of the shower hair. But that's what she wants. She continues to reapply over that.

She talks about it in her youtube where she shows her wet hair. http://www.youtube.com/user/Brittanynic16

Crazydaze allows her treatment to wear off in between and keeps a wavy look post bkt.

:ohwell: I'm wondering that too. I'm only doing the BKT to transition back to fully natural and have my hair not poof when I want it straight. If I wanted my hair permanently straight, I would just relax it bone-straight. :rolleyes:

Exactly, I think we need a few ppl to confirm that reversion is absolutely the end result. We have been lied to before by so many companies. I would hate for this to be a big scam.

I think that's the thing that attracts me to bkt. It is not, at all, marketed to black hair. Especially not natural black hair. Some have found benefit but many salons don't even want to touch it, they're so sure it won't work for us, at all. I say, great. I hope they never catch on.

It can... it depends on if you allow the treatment to wear off before reapplication. Or how much you allow it to wear off, I suppose. There are some who have a goal of straight hair. So the reapply more often than others that want to keep some curl. Brittany (4b curls) did multiple treatments back to back until she got straight, fresh out of the shower hair. But that's what she wants. She continues to reapply over that.

She talks about it in her youtube where she shows her wet hair. http://www.youtube.com/user/Brittanynic16

Crazydaze allows her treatment to wear off in between and keeps a wavy look post bkt.

Wow, i just watched and I am totally confused. Her hair doesn't appear that it will ever revert back again. So what is the point of spending all that money to receive the same results as a $4.99 relaxer? :confused: Is Formaldehyde safer? Her hair does not appear any healthier than relaxed-heads.

Originally. The treatment loosened her to a wave and went back to curls. She has a fotki.

She left a message on my Fotki. She has beautiful hair. :yep: She said in one of the comments that it took her 30 minutes tops to flatiron. She's definetely all the way back curly. :yep:

Wow, i just watched and I am totally confused. Her hair doesn't appear that it will ever revert back again. So what is the point of spending all that money to receive the same results as a $4.99 relaxer? :confused: Is Formaldehyde safer? Her hair does not appear any healthier than relaxed-heads.

It would revert, but she has many treatments on top of each other to achieve the straightness. It's different from a relaxer because her hair is still curly, only coated with the treatment. If you look at her fotki, you'll be able to see her journey and what lead her to try bkt. You'll be able to see her hair is in much better condition than it had been.

This is as she's growing out damage, still: http://public.fotki.com/brittanynic16/hair/new-me/april-08/n5716584402535715280.html

And a little later: http://public.fotki.com/brittanynic16/hair/new-me/april-08/1000445.html

She says she's still trimming away damage but I don't see where. Her hair is beautiful.

I just like that bkt gives choices. If she wanted looser curls, like what I have, she could have simply not layered as many treatments before they wore.

Last edited:

I am glad people are starting to questions this. What really worries me at this time -what are the long term effects of having formaldehyde that close to the brain? I don't want a lot of health issues developing for my LHCF sisters in the future.

It would revert, but she has many treatments on top of each other to achieve the straightness. It's different from a relaxer because her hair is still curly, only coated with the treatment. If you look at her fotki, you'll be able to see her journey and what lead her to try bkt. You'll be able to see her hair is in much better condition than it had been.

How do we know for sure that it would revert back unless she actually tried to? Her hair does look healthier than it did before which is all good but i am more concerned about acheiving her original natural texture back.

ETA: I am tex-laxed and my hair drys into an afro. But I damn sure know that aint my original texture.

Last edited:
How do we know for sure that it would revert back unless she actually tried to? Her hair does look healthier than it did before which is all good but i am more concerned about acheiving her original natural texture back.

Sorry, Secretose, can't answer that for you, as she has no desire for her hair to revert, at this time. The only example I've seen is Qdeez. Every 4a/b natural that I've seen continues to do it, in some way. Either often, like Brittany, or less often like Crazydaze. They either want the looser curls or they want the straight.

I am glad people are starting to questions this. What really worries me at this time -what are the long term effects of having formaldehyde that close to the brain? I don't want a lot of health issues developing for my LHCF sisters in the future.

Most people that got the treatments researched everything for months. Ladies that will pay to join a hair care forum aren't going to jump too quickly into just anything. I researched the BKT back in 2007 and I decided to not get the treatment because it was only a few months old then. I figured I'd wait a couple of years and see if there were any horror stories. I haven't found any.

The great thing regarding the formaldehye is that companies have reformulated and there are formeldahyde free treatments available instead. I know the next brand I use (soft-liss) doesn't have any toxic effects. Global Keratin uses ether and Coppola (both brands are formaldehyde free) uses aldehyde both of which could still be deemed toxic when aerosolized (becomes an aerosol when the flatiron hits the product and produces steam). The Brazilian Blowdry (Nicole Richie uses this - you can google) and Soft-liss (same manufacturer) don't have any toxins. Here are Soft-liss ingredients:

STEP 2 - Soft LIss Chocolate Intelligent Blowdry = Silicone polymer, Liquid Keratin, Softening agents, Ethyl Alcohol, Vitamins, and Cocoa Extract.

It's always wise to make an informed decision, but make no mistake about it LCHF ladies are very smart indeed. :yep:

Last edited:
I guess I'll find out one day, but I have no interest in letting this wear off at this time. My hair is much softer, smoother, no frizz when air dried. My wet bun rocks, it's basically what I wanted it to look like when I decided to texlax, but I hated the way the texlax looked when it air dried. Which is how I wear my hair at least 5 days a week. If it doesn't revert - big deal. You grow it out and start over. This may be "new" to us but if it was permanent they would advertise it as such because the target market would probably like it better that way. "We" are not the target market, which is a plus for me.

I don't doubt that ppl have done research. There are a million threads on the topic. I just have not seen too many ppl confirm that the hair absolutely reverts back when they stop. That possibly could be due to the fact that no one really stops when they start. They could be pleased with the staightness and not report anything negative due to that fact. My concern is for those who are getting this with the sole expectation of reversion to their original texture, not a looser texture. I would actually like to hear somethibg from a 4ab who has reverted back if possible.

Most people that got the treatments researched everything for months. Ladies that will pay to join a hair care forum aren't going to jump too quickly into just anything. I researched the BKT back in 2007 and I decided to not get the treatment because it was only a few months old then. I figured I'd wait a couple of years and see if there were any horror stories. I haven't found any.

The great thing regarding the formaldehye is that companies have reformulated and there are formeldahyde free treatments available instead. I know the next brand I use (soft-liss) doesn't have any toxic effects. Global Keratin uses ether and Coppola (both brands are formaldehyde free) uses aldehyde both of which could still be deemed toxic when aerosolized (becomes an aerosol when the flatiron hits the product and produces steam). The Brazilian Blowdry (Nicole Richie uses this - you can google) and Soft-liss (same manufacturer) don't have any toxins. Here are Soft-liss ingredients:

STEP 2 - Soft LIss Chocolate Intelligent Blowdry = Silicone polymer, Liquid Keratin, Softening agents, Ethyl Alcohol, Vitamins, and Cocoa Extract.

It's always wise to make an informed decision, but make no mistake about it LCHF ladies are very smart indeed. :yep:

Same here.
It's kinda scary.

Reading that reminded me to lookup info about formaldehyde. One of return searches on google came back from cancer.gov Here's what I read and the link.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Formaldehyde and Cancer: Questions and Answers

Key Points
Formaldehyde is a colorless, flammable, strong-smelling gas that is used to manufacture building materials and produce many household products (see Question 1).

Formaldehyde sources in the home include pressed wood products, cigarette smoke, and fuel-burning appliances (see Question 2).

When exposed to formaldehyde, some individuals may experience various short-term health effects (see Question 3).

Formaldehyde has been classified as a human carcinogen (cancer-causing substance) by the International Agency for Research on Cancer and as a probable human carcinogen by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (see Question 4).

Research studies of workers exposed to formaldehyde have suggested an association between formaldehyde exposure and cancers of the nasal sinuses, nasopharynx, and brain, and possibly leukemia (see Question 5).

What is formaldehyde?
Formaldehyde is a colorless, flammable, strong-smelling gas. It is an important industrial chemical used to manufacture building materials and to produce many household products. It is used in pressed wood products such as particleboard, plywood, and fiberboard, glues and adhesives, permanent press fabrics, paper product coatings, and certain insulation materials. In addition, formaldehyde is commonly used as an industrial fungicide, germicide, and disinfectant, and as a preservative in mortuaries and medical laboratories.

How is the general population exposed to formaldehyde?
According to a 1997 report by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, formaldehyde is normally present in both indoor and outdoor air at low levels, usually less than 0.03 parts of formaldehyde per million parts of air (ppm). Materials containing formaldehyde can release formaldehyde gas or vapor into the air. Formaldehyde can also be released by burning wood, kerosene, natural gas, or cigarettes; through automobile emissions; or from natural processes.
During the 1970s, urea-formaldehyde foam insulation (UFFI) was used in many homes. However, few homes are now insulated with UFFI. Homes in which UFFI was installed many years ago are not likely to have high formaldehyde levels now. Pressed wood products containing formaldehyde resins are often a significant source of formaldehyde in homes. Other potential indoor sources of formaldehyde include cigarette smoke and the use of unvented, fuel-burning appliances such as gas stoves, wood-burning stoves, and kerosene heaters.
Industrial workers who produce formaldehyde or formaldehyde-containing products, laboratory technicians, health care professionals, and mortuary employees may be exposed to higher levels of formaldehyde than the general public. Exposure occurs primarily by inhaling formaldehyde gas or vapor from the air or by absorbing liquids containing formaldehyde through the skin.

What are the short-term health effects of formaldehyde exposure?
When formaldehyde is present in the air at levels exceeding 0.1 ppm, some individuals may experience health effects such as watery eyes; burning sensations of the eyes, nose, and throat; coughing; wheezing; nausea; and skin irritation. Some people are very sensitive to formaldehyde, while others have no reaction to the same level of exposure.

Can formaldehyde cause cancer?
Although the short-term health effects of formaldehyde exposure are well known, less is known about its potential long-term health effects. In 1980, laboratory studies showed that exposure to formaldehyde could cause nasal cancer in rats. This finding raised the question of whether formaldehyde exposure could also cause cancer in humans. In 1987, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified formaldehyde as a probable human carcinogen under conditions of unusually high or prolonged exposure (1). Since that time, some studies of industrial workers have suggested that formaldehyde exposure is associated with nasal cancer and nasopharyngeal cancer, and possibly with leukemia. In 1995, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) concluded that formaldehyde is a probable human carcinogen. However, in a reevaluation of existing data in June 2004, the IARC reclassified formaldehyde as a known human carcinogen (2).

What have scientists learned about the relationship between formaldehyde and cancer? Click link below to finish reading answer...
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...k/formaldehyde

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Urrrr....ummmm, I'll take hard work and a long life for $200 Alex. :yep:

I'll just stick with the flat iron if I want it straight. I don't want to take any chances, that's why I stopped relaxing. Good luck to everyone else though.

Last edited:
That - and the fear that my hair may not return to curls - is my issue.............Everyone is basically - moving from the relaxer world - to this one....

Not a judgement - just a comment. Pink Skates hair is very convincing. If I were to do it - I would find her to do it for me.

Formaldehyde?????????:nono::nono:

I know. Major carcinogen.

MAJOR. Keeps dead people preserved for MUCH longer than needed.

No. Thanks. This is what has kept me off of eBay. As soon as I saw that - I was very dissapointed. The other "formaldehyde free" products don't seem to straighten well...

So.... Flat iron, and Sabino it is.
:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed

Reading that reminded me to lookup info about formaldehyde. One of return searches on google came back from cancer.gov :blush: Here's what I read and the link.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Formaldehyde and Cancer: Questions and Answers

Key Points
  • Formaldehyde is a colorless, flammable, strong-smelling gas that is used to manufacture building materials and produce many household products (see Question 1).
  • Formaldehyde sources in the home include pressed wood products, cigarette smoke, and fuel-burning appliances (see Question 2).
  • When exposed to formaldehyde, some individuals may experience various short-term health effects (see Question 3).
  • Formaldehyde has been classified as a human carcinogen (cancer-causing substance) by the International Agency for Research on Cancer and as a probable human carcinogen by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (see Question 4).
  • Research studies of workers exposed to formaldehyde have suggested an association between formaldehyde exposure and cancers of the nasal sinuses, nasopharynx, and brain, and possibly leukemia (see Question 5).

1. What is formaldehyde?

2. Formaldehyde is a colorless, flammable, strong-smelling gas. It is an important industrial chemical used to manufacture building materials and to produce many household products. It is used in pressed wood products such as particleboard, plywood, and fiberboard, glues and adhesives, permanent press fabrics, paper product coatings, and certain insulation materials. In addition, formaldehyde is commonly used as an industrial fungicide, germicide, and disinfectant, and as a preservative in mortuaries and medical laboratories.
    [*]How is the general population exposed to formaldehyde?

According to a 1997 report by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, formaldehyde is normally present in both indoor and outdoor air at low levels, usually less than 0.03 parts of formaldehyde per million parts of air (ppm). Materials containing formaldehyde can release formaldehyde gas or vapor into the air. Formaldehyde can also be released by burning wood, kerosene, natural gas, or cigarettes; through automobile emissions; or from natural processes.
    During the 1970s, urea-formaldehyde foam insulation (UFFI) was used in many homes. However, few homes are now insulated with UFFI. Homes in which UFFI was installed many years ago are not likely to have high formaldehyde levels now. Pressed wood products containing formaldehyde resins are often a significant source of formaldehyde in homes. Other potential indoor sources of formaldehyde include cigarette smoke and the use of unvented, fuel-burning appliances such as gas stoves, wood-burning stoves, and kerosene heaters.
    Industrial workers who produce formaldehyde or formaldehyde-containing products, laboratory technicians, health care professionals, and mortuary employees may be exposed to higher levels of formaldehyde than the general public. Exposure occurs primarily by inhaling formaldehyde gas or vapor from the air or by absorbing liquids containing formaldehyde through the skin.
    [*]What are the short-term health effects of formaldehyde exposure?

When formaldehyde is present in the air at levels exceeding 0.1 ppm, some individuals may experience health effects such as watery eyes; burning sensations of the eyes, nose, and throat; coughing; wheezing; nausea; and skin irritation. Some people are very sensitive to formaldehyde, while others have no reaction to the same level of exposure.
    [*]Can formaldehyde cause cancer?

Although the short-term health effects of formaldehyde exposure are well known, less is known about its potential long-term health effects. In 1980, laboratory studies showed that exposure to formaldehyde could cause nasal cancer in rats. This finding raised the question of whether formaldehyde exposure could also cause cancer in humans. In 1987, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified formaldehyde as a probable human carcinogen under conditions of unusually high or prolonged exposure (1). Since that time, some studies of industrial workers have suggested that formaldehyde exposure is associated with nasal cancer and nasopharyngeal cancer, and possibly with leukemia. In 1995, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) concluded that formaldehyde is a probable human carcinogen. However, in a reevaluation of existing data in June 2004, the IARC reclassified formaldehyde as a known human carcinogen (2).
  3. What have scientists learned about the relationship between formaldehyde and cancer? Click link below to finish reading answer...
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/risk/formaldehyde

----------------------------------------------------------------------

:nono: Urrrr....ummmm, I'll just stick with the flat iron if I want it straight. I don't want to take any chances, that's why I stopped relaxing. Good luck to everyone else though. :look:

The Brazilian Blowdry (Nicole Richie uses this - you can google) and Soft-liss (same manufacturer) don't have any toxins. Here are Soft-liss ingredients:

I wonder what the softening agents are?

One of the most commonly named ingredients in hair care products is "fragrance". "Fragrance" can be anything the company decides they want to use, and it's protected by laws that say people don't have to give up proprietary recipe information.

I wonder if the "softening agents" label is similar.

I have totally lost faith in what companies label their products are "supposed to do". Whether or not it's marketed to us doesn't mean anything IMO. Even the FDA is not reliable. Hydroxycut was FDA approved for weightloss and has recently been pulled off the shelves because it has be linked to several deaths. Another FDA approved drug, Zoloft was linked to suicide and actually was used in a defense case about a 12 yr old who murdered his grand parents while tripping on this drug that was doctor prescribed to him and he was taking the right dosage!

Last edited:
I wonder what the softening agents are?

One of the most commonly named ingredients in hair care products is "fragrance". "Fragrance" can be anything the company decides they want to use, and it's protected by laws that say people don't have to give up proprietary recipe information.

I wonder if the "softening agents" label is similar.

LOL:lachen: I didn't even notice that. Lye is a softening agent. I know my hair definately feels softer after I relax. JK. Shame on this damn people and their sneaky labeling.

BKT is new to black hair. So we have to accept that there is not a great deal of info on it in regards to kinky hair. Anyone interested in bkt can clearly see that. If they're jumping on it anyway, then their willing to take the associated risk. The fact that it's blown up like it has shows that there are a lot of women that have been searching for... something! There's a whole in haircare options that aren't filled by relaxers, texturizers or wash n go's. There's a hope that bkt is it. I constantly here that word in reference to bkt; "hope".

With great risk can come great reward; but there is risk. If you can afford to purchase bkt, you probably know enough about life to know that. And some (many apparently) will decide to take it for the possibilities.

Same here.
It's kinda scary.

These are some of the same conerns people had a little while ago. Now its seems like no one brings them up. I know the formulas have improved but I refuse to believe things are 100% honky dory

Honestly I see this as a typical LHCF phase. People just get wrapped up. One person makes a post with fabulous hair and everyone follows:look:...

These are some of the same conerns people had a little while ago. Now its seems like no one brings them up. I know the formulas have improved but I refuse to believe things are 100% honky dory

Honestly I see this as a typical LHCF phase. People just get wrapped up. One person makes a post with fabulous hair and everyone follows:look:...

Hey girl. I'm so mad to see you're doing EXACTLY what I am. :lachen: I need to be studying... writing that paper... submitting extra financial aid docs...

And this is OT, but that exam today was CRAZY! :dead:

And yes, BKT. :nono: I will post in another thread because I think what I want to say about it will be more on topic.

ETA: Shoot, I'm saying what I want to say. I don't like it. I think it's scary and I think our "okie dokie"-like acceptance of it makes my skin crawl. I think I find it eerie because to me, it's pretty much just a less permanent relaxer/texturizer that has a different means to the same end. I don't really see the difference between it and a less-permanent relaxer. Why do it over and over and over again? Isn't it the same thing? I wouldn't be so scrambled in the head if we were addressing it like a relaxer, I think. But we aren't, which is what has me.

Last edited:
And you know guys? It's not like a single bkt is going to significantly loosen the curl. You have soooo much control over how much it loosens. I'm going to post the change in my curl with each treatment (I've had 2). That being said, although I'm happy with the result, I don't think the difference between one pic and another is enough to get in a bunch over. I didn't go from kinky kinky hair, to mear waves. It's not a texlax or texturizer. Nothing like it, really. All the pics you see of the super straight hair are only immediately following the process while the treatment is "curing". After the first wash, curls return, only slightly looser (or more loose, depending on whether the hair has been chemically processed).

The first pic is my hair 6 months ago, virgin. The second is after my first bkt. The third is after my second bkt.

pre bkt curlys.jpg1st wash curls no product.JPG10 nearly dry no product2.JPG

Someone said that these questions were raised when bkt first came to the board. I think the fact that no one has come back to say, "BKT KILLED my hair" coupled with the fact that many that started using it are still using it is a huge testament to the treatments effectiveness and the lack of gremlins in the closet.

Even if someone did come and say, "BKT didn't agree with my hair". What does that mean really? How many people have hair thriving while relaxed while others are unable to relax without their hair being ravaged with damage? So BKT has been around long enough that if it's absolutely destroying hair left and right; or even not beneficial to hair left and right, we should see some serious examples by now. We're talking two years right here on lhcf. And we will murder a conditioner that doesn't perform well.... I feel we would have seen something more by now.

Back