BKT DAMAGE OR SATISFIED!?! All BKT users please share.

I haven't done mine yet.

Hair type & density: mostly 4b with some 4a and 3 in nape. 8 months post relaxer/texlax without BCing.

Brand: Softliss Strawberry

Formaldehyde content: none

Who Applied: Me

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: 1st time - Original Sedu at 410 (not high enough, left product sitting on hair, had to do more swipes than recommended, I also think I applied too much product). 2nd & 3rd times Sedu Revolution at 450. Will lower to about 430 in the future.

Deviations from directions: I apply the treatment with an applicator/color bottle (has nozzle) from roots to ends. After first treatment I opt for airdrying with microfiber hair turban. No naked blowdrying. I also keep my hair in several ponytails from start to finish (I do this everytime I wash though). I've washed the treatment out in one hour up to one day depending on how I feel.

How often used: 3 times so far.

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): Very satisfied. Healthy, swinging hair. I trust BKT more than I do relaxers and it seems my hair styles last longer than when relaxed. My hair also holds moisture more which is something that I've been battling prior to BKT. My hair is retaining length alot more too.

Did hair revert after non-use: After the first treatment I went a full 8 weeks before I applied again and my hair almost fully reverted - dryness increased, manageability decreased overtime.

Will continue use (yes or no): YES! I hope that it will become available locally soon!

Last edited:
Brittanynic16 :flowers:
2 years with BKT :sweet:
Thank you for sharing your info :notworthy
I've been watching your progress and you are definitely an inspiration!!! :wow:

Ok. I don't want to over do it but :drool:

I noticed that many people mentioned softliss. Its supposed to be Formaldehyde Free.

Those of you who henna or use Cassia Obavata, did you end up straighter hair after the BKT treatment?

I'm thinking about using softliss because I can apparently continue using my Cassia within my regimen.

I noticed that many people mentioned softliss. Its supposed to be Formaldehyde Free.

Those of you who henna or use Cassia Obavata, did you end up straighter hair after the BKT treatment?

I'm thinking about using softliss because I can apparently continue using my Cassia within my regimen.

I use the formaldehyde free softliss but i can't answer your question.
You may get a faster response if you post this in the Keratin Treatment Support thread.

Hair type & density: Natural 4a, very thick

Brand: Global

Formaldehyde content: 4%

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: FHI, 450, 10 passes

Deviations from directions: I Don't: wash first before and sometimes wash out the same day

How often used: every 6 to 8 weeks for 2 years

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): I love the BTK my hair is in the best condition its ever been in. My hair is longer than its ever been. My hair looks beautiful and people compliment my hair all the time. I have no heat damage. My hair is silky and SUPER easy to style.

Will continue use (yes or no): I don't see myself not using it.

Brittanynic16 :flowers:
2 years with BKT :sweet:
Thank you for sharing your info :notworthy
I've been watching your progress and you are definitely an inspiration!!! :wow:

Ok. I don't want to over do it but :drool:

Yes I always get excited when Brittany stops in to post! It's results like hers that I am hoping to achieve.

Hair type & density: 4b natural, dense, thick strands

Brand: ɹıɐɥɯɐǝɹp :grin:

Formaldehyde content:
don't know

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: BaByliss, 420 degrees, 5 passes

Deviations from directions:
Did not use round brush while blowdrying.

How often used: Once

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): Did not get hair stick straight, but that may have been due to my technique and/or iron. Left hair soft as silk after a wash. No heat damage.

Did hair revert after non-use: N/A

Will continue use (yes or no): Yes!

Completely OT...but how did you write that word upside down and backwards?!?! That was just amazing to me...

Great thread, OP! So far, this has helped me to know that I won't use it on dd. The chemicals scare me for her...

cj

Hair type & density: 4a

Brand: DH

Formaldehyde content:2%

Who Applied:self

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes:fhi platform/H2Pro 204LE, 450 degrees, about 3-5 passes

Deviations from directions: only dried 80% prior to bkt application

How often used:2x

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.):satisfied, no damage to speak of

Did hair revert after non-use: is reverting, am 2 months post bkt

Will continue use (yes or no): yes will bkt during my transition

Last edited:
Excellent thread OP!

Hair type & density: 3b/c, medium strands, thick

Brand: Global, Softliss, Coppola Keratin, QOD Gold :love3:,*DH* (did treatment today - trying to find camera USB to post pics!!)

Formaldehyde content: Global 2%, Coppola 1%, Softliss 0%(supposedly) QOD Gold 0.02%, *DH* 2%

Who Applied: I did them all myself with the exception of the Coppola Keratin Treatment which I had done at Ulta.

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes:
31rlcuFxo9L._SS500_.jpg
BABYLISS PRO Nano Titanium 1 inch Straightening Iron
It depends, I've done root "touch-ups" and used 450 degrees with no issues (ONLY on newgrowth). On the length of my hair I like to use between 370 -420 degrees with about 3-4 passes.

Deviations from directions: I don't do the "naked" blowdry as directed. I don't use clarifying shampoo then skip conditioner and blowfry. I did that once and my wig was NOT happy. So now I clarify then apply BKT to wet hair.

After applying the treatment on damp hair I like to use a towel to "soak" up any remaining product to cut down on fumes and blowdrying time.

How often used: As needed lol. Going for every 3 months starting today.

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): Very satisfied. I'm haven't tex (re)-laxed in almost 7 months. My hair is so swangy and shiny and my new growth is easy to deal with.

The only damage came from multiple flatiron passes on the hair I bleached back in August 2009 (highlights - now covered up with black dye). The hair unbleached hair has NOT been damaged at all (about 70% of my hair).

Did hair revert after non-use: No. My hair, specifically my new growth, has been staying straight. I think I had the best results with Softliss when it comes to minimal reversion.

Will continue use (yes or no): Yes, absolutely.

I did the DH today and I like it. The fumes weren't horrible either. I do love how light and airy my hair feels. It doesn't feel as "coated" as it did with Softliss.

QOD Gold was the bomb though. :yep: My hair was like SILK afterwards. Even after the 1st wash it felt so silky and moisturized. My hair was also very light and airy with this treatment. Definetely does not feel coated.

Global 2% was a little bit too skrong for my hair. My hair very limp and wouldn't hold a curl for awhile after having the treatment done.

Coppola was aiight.

Softliss
was a great treatment as well. If you can deal with that "coated" feeling then you will love Softliss. :yep:

I'm not sure what I'll try next. Maybe Rejevenol. No more BKT's until March 2010 because I'll be doing braidouts and rollersets only. No more direct heat, growing back to MBL for 2010.

Last edited:
Hair type & density: 3b/c

Brand: Sofliss Chocolate

Formaldehyde content: 0% (they say, I doubt)

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: 4-5

Deviations from directions: followed all direction except this last application yesterday (12/31), I didnt do the blowdry after application. (dont ask me why) the results were just ok, alot more curl that I usually have, which would be ok but it is in the front, so just look nappy.

How often used: Once a month, not allways full head some are only roots

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): Very satisfied

Did hair revert after non-use: The longest I have gone between is approx. 2 mons. so no revision.

Will continue use (yes or no):
Yes!!! My hair is recovering from a devastating set back and softliss has been heaven sent. It locks in my semi-permanent hair color and I use almost no heat. It has really retained my length, though I just got a major cut to remove the rest of the damage.

Side note: my fitness has improved significantly because it is so easy to cowash after workouts. No more damage from sweat or manipulation trying to get my frizzy hair to bhave.:clap:

Last edited:
Hair type & density: 4A/3C Natural

Brand: Softliss

Formaldehyde content: None

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: 1st chi/ 2nd Babybliss from TJMax

Deviations from directions: 1st round – none/ 2nd I did not do the 1st blowdry. I sat under a dryer. I also dried my hair w/ the product in it partially under the dryer & then I blowdried until it was totally dry.

How often used: 1st was in May. Completed a 2nd one in Dec. There were7 months between the treatments.

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): Very, very satidfied. No damage & hair is still thick & growing.

Did hair revert after non-use: Yes, yes, yes….

Will continue use (yes or no): Yes. I’ll probably do one once or twic a year. I like to be able to wear my hair straight with it not reverting or becoming a semi-fro during a few hours…

Hair type & density: 3C

Brand: Brazilian Coco Chocolate

Formaldehyde content: 2%

Who Applied: Chateau Moon Salon in Kuwait

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: Chi

Deviations from directions: No

How often used: Once before I became pregnant

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): I loved it!!!!! I could wash my hair and there would be no tangles when I combed it out. I retained a lot of length. My ends stayed very healthy with no damage. It was very soft and shiny. I received a lot of compliments. My hair looked and felt like silk!!!:lick:

Did hair revert after non-use: Yes :yep:

Will continue use (yes or no): Yes as soon as I have the baby I plan on getting another treatment. I have pictures of my results in my Fotki.

Last edited:
Hair type & density: natural 4ab, fine strands, medium density and coloured

Brand:
Global

Formaldehyde content:
4%

Who Applied:
DIY

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes:
190C/ about 2-3 passes

I don't neccesarily wait for 72 hrs before washing and I put it in a ponytail with a scrunchy, I also do a DC before I start.

How often used:
I started April 09 and have had about 5-6 treatments

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.):
I love it, it made it a lot easier to manage my hair, I also think its helped with my colouring and weekly flatironing although I still up my DCs and treatments.

Did hair revert after non-use:
Kind of, my hair never looked straight after washing, at most it was a 3c/4a when the treatment starts wearing off its still 4a, my ends curl more and the previously treated hair is silkier.

Will continue use (yes or no):
YES YES YES, I like my hair straight and nappy and this allows me to have the best of both worlds, I haven't had a treatment since Oct/ Nov of last year but will probably get one by March/April its really been great for me and I have made consisitent progress with it (more than I have since joining LHCF)

Last edited:
Hair type & density: 4 a/b

Brand: La Brasiliana

Formaldehyde content: Might have been the formaldehyde free version, not 100%

Who Applied:Hairdresser

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: no idea of the brand or model the temp was 450, 4+ passes

Deviations from directions:none

How often used: once

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): satisfised, did have damage to my ends but, they were pretty bad to start( and the plan was to bkt ,record length and discard 2 inches)

Did hair revert after non-use: Only had it in about 6 weeks but its starting to strip and my new growth is showing signs of re-birth

Will continue use (yes or no): Most def, my hair wasnt hard to deal with before,but after the bkt it behaved,felt and looked more like 3b/c hair which is great since m groing thru a lazy period. Next time i will be doing the touch-up method( from MyAngelEyez~C~U ), cuz it just made my texturised hair dead straight and i was looking more for ease of care, not a new relaxed look.

Hair type & density: 9 months into transition from relaxed
3c/4a very dense, medium/coarse strand thickness

Brand: Keratina Brazilian Keratin Straight

Formaldehyde content: None

Who Applied: Myself

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: FHI 400+ degrees 2 or 3 passes

How often used: Used twice root to tip, used once on relaxed ends only

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): Very satisfied, zero damage

Did hair revert after non-use: 4a hair reverted, 3c hair is still bone straight after 3 months

Will continue use (yes or no): I will continue to use BKT on my relaxed hair, will probably not use on my natural hair again. I'm not convinced it will completely revert. :ohwell:

Bumping for more responses and updates ladies specifically for:

- Marcia Texteira
- Global
- QOD Gold
- Encanto
- ChocoCocco
- ***Inoar***
- and that which shall not be mentioned

Hair type & density: 4b

Brand:Organic Thermo Fusion

Formaldehyde content: 0%

Who Applied: Me, used only about 1.5 oz.

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: Power IQ @410 degrees with 5-6 passes

Deviations from directions: I did not blow dry after clarifying wash

How often used: first time

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): My hair is VERY silky. It will not revert even in the worst humidity. Still have some breakage but my hair was doing that before the BKT. I am using lots of keratin products so I should be OK

Did hair revert after non-use: let's wait and see...

Will continue use (yes or no): it's my new thing, I'll never let it go...

Hair type & density: 4a/4b wiry at the crown/bangs, silky in the perimeter. Not dense at all, relaxed/transitioning (was 8 weeks post for my first treatment in November 2009)

Brand: I've used Dre@m H@ir (airy flat iron, super slippery wet hair), Marcia Teixeira (beautiful waves), and Global 4% (more manageable new growth)--Loved them all

Formaldehyde content: 1.7-4%

Who Applied: SELF

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: I use the Babyliss Nano titanium (LOVE IT). The first treatment (with Dre@m H@ir) was at 450 ºF and initially gave me BEAUTIFUL results (See my avatar) BUT the high heat caused MAJOR breakage (some areas of my head essentially "big chopped" themselves at the line of demarcation- my relaxed end couldn't take that much heat :wallbash:). Since then, I've been using 350-375 on the areas with relaxer and 375-410 in the all natural areas--it still works beautifully.

Deviations from directions: I almost never do the naked blow dry after the clarifying shampoo--that step is just for the convenience of the stylist at the salon (they don't have time to wait till your hair dries). I split my treatments: detangle, shampoo, and air dry (sometimes the night before) and then apply treatment to dry hair (as instructed), blow dry, then flat iron, etc.

How often used: When I have time! (anywhere from 2-6 weeks)

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): SATISFIED!!!!!!!
Aside from my initial heat damage setback, I LOVE this treatment. It has eased my transition to natural (since the new growth behaves and there's no obvious mark of demarcation). I have NO tangling troubles to speak of, my hair is soft and manageable, and can air dry "straightish"if I pull it into a micro-pony (it's real short in the back). It's like a texturizer, but BETTER because once wet I get curls and moderate shrinkage (which I kinda like) on my 4a hair. My 4b hair at the crown/bangs is more problematic because it DOES NOT shrink nor curl--it's just kind of a streched-out , texlaxed-looking, fuzzy mess if left to its own devices. However, it does respond well to braidouts (to bled the textures) and flat irons well.

Did hair revert after non-use: YES! But with looser texture ( I keep overlapping the treatments)

Will continue use (yes or no):YES!!!!!!:yep::yep::yep::yep:

P.S.My surviving relaxed ends are frizz-free but very weak. Beware if you're relaxed.

Last edited:
Type: 4b fine (natural when I was doing BKT)
Brand: DH and QOD Gold
Applied by: Self
Flat Iron: Jilbere Paladium, 450°
Deviations: Sometimes I flat ironed on a slightly lower temp
How Often: Monthly

I DON"T DO BKT ANYMORE. I think it's a great treatment but you have to be careful with the heat. Monthly was just too much for me but I didn't know it until it was too late. I had LONG strands of hair breaking from the heat. I was not responsible and I don't think it was the treatment but my failure to tweak it to my hair. If you decide to do it READ ALL of the info in the support thread carefully and ASK questions. The ladies know a lot about it and most of them are thriving with this treatment. I will not be doing it again.

Hair type & density: natural 3C/4AB. Super dense!

Brand: Coco's Keratin Chocolate

Formaldehyde content: I think 4%

Who Applied: A friend (another natural)

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: She has an FHI....1 pass....450 degrees.

Deviations from directions: none. She did it exactly as directed and on the video.

How often used: its my 1st time. I've only had it a week. She does hers every 6-7 months.

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): Satisfied so far. Hair completely reverted after washing post 4-day processing time. I don't plan to maintain straight hair...I sweat a lot and its already reverting....going back to natural texture this weekend. I plan to do straight hair for special occasions only!

Did hair revert after non-use: n/a....As a natural, my hair will revert anyways...but my curl pattern was slightly more loose. few tangles/shedding...

Will continue use (yes or no): Most likely!

Last edited:
Back