Has anyone experienced this amount of growth......

JetBlack

Peace & Love
or anything CLOSE to it? I found this chart on http://www.longhair.org/growth.htm. However, I do understand that different hair textures tend to experience different growth rates. This must be an "ultimate" growth cycle
laugh.gif
. Although most people will not reach these lengths in this amount of time, this visual is helpful in giving motivation. To read what the article says about the diagram, go to the link I mentioned above. If anyone can find a chart/diagram that shows diverse textures, please share that information.
Tppic131.jpg

I've been growing my hair out for a year and a few months and mines is a little past the two year mark...
My hair is grows slower then everybody else in my house.

I'm thinking that chart is based on NEVER trimming the hair. For most people that is pretty unreasonable. I don't understand how they say that the hair falls out after 2 years of growth yet the chart depicts 4 years of growth.
confused.gif

I'm not sure of the trimming issue. I know one thing. I don't think I'd ever get to that length in four years, no matter if I trimmed or not. LOL.

The chart looks like it's based on the 6 inches in a year which seems to be the average for hair growth. I'd say mine is like this but I think I get a little more than 6 inches in a year. I can tell b/c I'm transitioning. This is helpful to me b/c I will have a nice length of natural hair at 2 years and even 3 if I can wait that long.

I'd say, if my average growth is 8 inches a year and I trim off 2 inches in a year, then I should be right where the chart specifies for 3 years. This is very hopeful!

I am almost at the two year mark. I do believe that I usually get 8 or 9 inches in a year instead of 6. So I just want to say waistlength here I come.

Re: Has anyone experienced this amount of growth..

I started charting my hair growth several years ago when I stopped blow drying and brushing it and only trimming it myself and my hair growth was about what was on the chart. I have fine hair and wavy texture but resistant curl, so I'm not sure what hair type I am. Unfortunately, it is only 12 inches now. My hairdresser had to "go away" for a long time and every hairdresser I've had since then treats my hair like it's coarse and as a result had to start over at the end of last year. I now bring my own relaxer (Bantu), tell them how long to leave it on (maximum 15 minutes}. Monitor him closely when he trims it every 14-16 weeks. I also bring a photo of me when my hair was long as a reminder that I do know what I'm talking about.

This mentions something that I don't currently do and that is scalp massages. I'm starting now as soon as I finish typing!

Didn't Adrienne's hair grow from above ear length to almost waist length in about that span of time? I think the chart is right on because my hair grows at about six inches a year but it stops there due to damage and breakage. I'm right at about 6.5 inches mostly but I've been there for over four years. I have to be extremely carefull with my hair because it will break off easily.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking that chart is based on NEVER trimming the hair. For most people that is pretty unreasonable. I don't understand how they say that the hair falls out after 2 years of growth yet the chart depicts 4 years of growth.

[/ QUOTE ]
This chart is accurate. The average growth rate is 6 inches a year regardless of texture. As far as the hair falling out after two years, that is based on the average growth cycle range of 2-6 years. Most people fall in the middle, which is about 4 years. So provided your hair grows 6 inches a year and you have a 4 year growth cycle, your hair should be able to grow 24 inches from the crown after 4 years. I started out at the one year mark and I am exactly where I am supposed to be a year and some months later, (bear in mind I never trim my hair). It is the hair's health, not texture, that determines whether or not you reach your max potential. Don't let the fact that the chart shows a white woman with straight hair discourage you.

Twenty four inches after four years would be right. Where it falls on you may not be waist length though.

[ QUOTE ]
jetcitygirl said:
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well all the hair doesnt fall out/ shed at the same time when it reaches the 2 year. different strands of hair are in different cycles at any given time.

I just started charting and taking better care of my hair in November, but I think my hair is doing a little better than average. I think I gained about 6 inches of length since November.

I'm at the two year mark. Knock on wood (no setbacks, etc.) I will be at the 3 year mark by late next spring or sometime in the summer of '05. And my hair grows slightly slower than avg.
frown.gif
All you nine-inch-a-year folks have got it made!

That is the average 6 inches per year.

MOST people's hair grows at or near to this rate.

Some people's hair grows faster or slower too.

confused.gif

They say that each hair falls out 2-5 years on the chart.

Imo, a 2 year cycle is possible, but not the norm. That would mean that your terminal length is shoulder length. Doesn't happen all that often.

Back